Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Idunn posted:

That said, as a new reader, I'm very surprised that so many people say things like "the beginning is boring and confusing but it gets better" to new readers. The beginning was awesome!

I never get these people. The sylladex antics are still some of my favorite bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zorak posted:

Because it was necessary. Remember that everything occurs as it is temporally required. And they died on their dream beds when the green sun ignited: apparently you don't need your dream selves alives for it to count, though Jade's was semi-alive, allowing hers to be consumed.

Well, technically, they were alive just like Aradia's. There must be something we dont know or you only need a dreamself and a questbed on their Moon. Jade is obviously a special case since she sort of revived her dreamself.

KoB
May 1, 2009

dumb brunette posted:

Haha, I just caught one of the movie references on a second go. Jade's godtier outfit has ruby slippers :3:

I loved the old school RPG style Attack name popup at the top of the screen for Red Mile.

KoB
May 1, 2009

annatar posted:

I liked that the scratch mechanism was a massive 7inch vinyl getting burnt by a huge CD reader laser.

In the above sequence do we think that John killed Hephaestus?

John was protecting the giant record player thing that was using the needles he got from Rose

KoB
May 1, 2009

Samovar posted:

Has anyone noted that at the time Gamzee was typing to Scratch, i.e. at the point 'the most important character in Homestuck fondly regards the miracle of a new beginning.', Lil' Cal is on his lap?

But we now know that in that scene, Gamzee was talking to Scratch. So it could very well gave been Scratch, but showing Gamzee to keep us off the trail.

e:

Dolash posted:

All that's left is the green sun, Bec Noir, PM, Aradia, the kids, Sollux, Gamzee, Terezi, Kanaya, and Karkat. Time for the boss battle rumble.

Pose As A Team, 'Cause poo poo Just Got Real.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Did Dave's God tier outfit remind anyone else of the old chainmail hoods Knights used to wear? Its perfect.
e: http://imgur.com/iLLDx

KoB fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 25, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

It seems the long hiatus has shoved all of this stuff out of my head. I remember bits of the Scratch intermission, but I barely remember anything that happened before it.

Am I crazy or did the flash just skip some things?
How did John get to Lohac?

When did Jade make the frog/billiard thing?

When did Rose and Dave fight DD?

Why are the exiles blowing up the labs?(this part of the flash in particular confused the hell out of me)

Again, i'm not expecting answers to these, it's all just me and my terrible memory. I can accept it if these events haven't been addressed in the story yet. I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything I should know.

Other than that, the flash was incredible and everything else made sense....sort of.

John Windy-Thing'd from Battlefield to LOHAC after getting the needles from Rose. Theres a bit where John is talking to someone (I forget who) and they tell him to just stay put on LOHAC instead of helping Jade, I think.
They just skipped over DD 'cause hes a chump for Dave now. Basically the opposite from the very beginning when Dave was killed by him.

KoB fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 25, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009

Forer posted:

Wait a minute... I just realized something

After the scene with jade when jack uses the red miles, he has that bloody hand of his. It then cuts to the planet and the arming of the eggstation and etc. with the red miles going on.

Bluh?

Time shenanigans allow many things to occur simultaneously.

KoB
May 1, 2009

jvempire posted:

I don't see this either, but I can explain that people like to call all characters evil/Lord English.

And judging from my friends reactions, people seem to easily interpret what happened in the flash wrong. Like one of my friends said that Lord English was summoned and that Rose, David, and Aradia were going to fight him. Also that Lord English was going to kill Sollux. And that WV was Lord English. I can't imagine what other silly theories people have made up too.

Lord English is summoned upon the end of the universe, so he should be there, shouldnt he? Nevermind the "always been here" thing.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zoolooman posted:

There's no suggestion that these are the first sessions either. A different off-screen session created the troll universe, after all. These are very important, bizarre sessions that are intimately connected and form the basis for the creation of a vital entity in Paradox Space, the Green Sun, but they are not necessarily the first or the last.

Yeah, the Green Sun is outside space/time. It always existed(and didnt exist), and simply needed a point of creation. It doesnt matter when that is.

Starmaker posted:

Also, doesn't the scratch reset the whole universe? As in, basically recreate it? So wasn't Jack killing BSlick pretty much a moot point since it was going to end anyways (and be reset)? I mean I was under the impression the old universe was done for regardless, I was pretty sure the scratch reset everything, not just the session! (Ok Jack killing BSlick isn't a moot point at all, since it created the Green Sun, but you know what I mean).

It probably needs a Bilious Slick to rewrite, not simply creating a new one.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rasamune posted:

"First", he says. Has Act 5 literally taught you nothing?

The new universe Jade made will be the "First." PM will defeat Jack and become Lord English and start the cycle that creates herself.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cyrai posted:

Also, why were there two Sollices again? I can't remember what was up with that

There were originally three. Real Sollux on Alternia and two dream Sollux on Prospit and Derse.

Real Sollux died on/right before entering the medium from Fef's Lusus' glub that murders people. Sollux was revived as one of his dreamselves, which I think is the current "alive" Sollux on the meteor. The other DreamSollux was killed when Jack destroyed Prospit and Derse and is was found by Aradia in a dreambubble, who is now hanging out by the Green Sun when Rose and Dave appear.

Real Sollux - Dead
Dream Sollux - Dead with Aradia
Dream Sollux - About to die on Meteor.

I think.

creationist believer posted:

Here's a quote from [S] Seer: Descend that I expect will become very relevant soon: 'Though we adore Him we shall never enjoy His beauteous Croak. We spill our blood on acres of black and white so they may cross the yellow yard. At last in Skaia's reflection through broken glass He may find the pond in which He's meant to squat.' I wonder what that pond is going to be and what the reflection is of.

If the frog is meant to replace/absorb battlefield/Skaia and the frog is still fine inside the volcano, Jade could very well create their new universe once again since she took those planets with her.

KoB fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 26, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009
Act 5 is twice as long as Act 1-4 combined.:aaaaa:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Well... not quite. First 4 acts ran from April 2009 to June 2010, then act 5 was from then to yesterday. It's about two months longer, yes, but not double the length.

Still, act 5 comprises more than half of Homestuck. Parallel universes, resurrection, God Tier, the Trolls as major characters, Doc Scratch, the Midnight Crew/Felt actually playing a role in the story, frogs... so much poo poo that's practically central to Homestuck lore at this point did not exist before 6/12. The EOA is certainly worthy of such a monster of a story. Plus, maybe it was just me, but I got sort of a Dethklok music video vibe from the whole Dog Tier sequence of Jade collecting the planets. Maybe it was just the music combined with the pentagon (PENTAGRAM!?) of mini-planets, but it was pretty sweet nonetheless. Plus, the birth of the Green Sun I think was pretty awesome.

E: Plus I totally called WV's station being used how it was.

I meant words, in response to the post above me but someone posted before I got to.

KoB fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 27, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cyrai posted:

The church parts are a PS reference, but there's no way that's not a fourth wall with the plug

If anything, the 4th wall is more of a reference to the windows in PS.

KoB
May 1, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

To add to Supercar's statement, this actually just means that the satellite was added after the ancestor fights happened. I'd say it probably has something to do with all the adult trolls being sent off to war. Maybe that's just where the Condesce lived before being sent off on a mission for English.

She wasn't Lord English's servant until long after the troll session. Either she built it before leaving to conquer the galaxy or it was built while she was gone.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

We're sure gonna miss her :(

Also, who designed Rose/Dave's god tier looks? I know Lexxy did Jade's

I think someone said that she was the only person who knew about God Tiers/spoilers in general. Hussie must have designed both Rose and Dave.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Also, Rose and Dave travelled about 60 billion light years between the detonation of the green sun and their emergence from its surface. Let us just assume that ridiculous scale-defying speeds are a thing in Homestuck.

Time and Space dont follow any rules out there, thats why Dave and Rose needed a map. Being able to see the light from the meteor quickly means that traveling straight at it will get the trolls there quickly, since time and space in that straight line are such that the light was able to get there very very quickly itself.

So they dont necessarily have to be going fast, time and space are basically bending to their benefit.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

For reference, I was talking about their journey from the centre of the green sun to its surface. If the thing is twice the size of our universe and spherical, then it has a radius of 60 billion light years. All I meant was that immense distances in the story are rather easily dismissed by various plot elements.

They were being reincarnated as gods so maybe they used time shenanigans to get there. :v:

KoB
May 1, 2009

robbingdog posted:

Isn't it stated that Sburb plans things so that players are given advantage which make them better suited to their mythological roles, i.e. Rose's connection to the horrorterrors helping her as a Seer? Considering the nature of paradox space, there isn't really such a thing as an event in the alpha timeline being "not supposed to be".

This was just conjecture from the Trolls wasnt it? Later Kanaya said that she thought that Sburb might even assign roles to challenge players.

KoB
May 1, 2009
CEB: what is so different about your romance?
CEB: what's a quadrant? how many do you have?
CTG: john god dammit stop embarrassing us
CTG: first of all weve got to be on record here as not giving a poo poo about that
CTG: second obviously theres gonna be 4 quadrants come on

This part always kills me. Dave and John's conversations are always fantastic. Along with some of the above like [s] John: Reunite with your loving wife and daughter. I still watch it every few weeks. Vriska and John's conversations are always enjoyable to me. They're so awkward and adorable :allears:

thanks alot assbag posted:

I think the single most memorable moment of the entire comic for me is the sequence where John blasts off for the first time, going to attempt to kill his denizen.

The "THIS IS STUPID" panel is easily the funniest thing ever.

Oh god this one too http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003552
His face is amazing.

KoB fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 30, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zoolooman posted:

You're not thinking about this given the tools at hand.

He destroyed the universe in the pre-Scratch timeline. The Scratch creates a second, new, divergent timeline. It is to be seen whether or not Jack manages to destroy the universe in its new history, since the device likely didn't send him to the Medium in its post-Scratch timeline.

But its only Pre/Post-Scratch on the inside, Jack is now outside of the universe so why should that matter to him? I guess it really matters if the scratch just rewrites the frog or creates a new one.

In my opinion, the universe is doomed at a certain time but like others said, the universe still has a history. All the events until Jack kills BSlick will be different.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Now someone needs to get Davesprite/Jadesprite avs.

Just an endless line of people turning their heads to the right.

The artist drew a John in the same pose, so he wouldnt feel left out.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

EB: excuse me, it is called the wrinkle fucker, and it is totally amazing.

Definitely this, its one of my favorite lines.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

The best part is going to be John being literally a God in this new universe and being too derpy to act the part of deity.

Friend-God :colbert:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Slime posted:

Man, if everyone wept over the magnificence of Zillyhoo I wonder would happen if the beheld the unrivalled majesty of the Popup Hammer of Vrillyhoo!

Pop-o-Matic Vrillyhoo Hammer :colbert:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Yeah, Dadbert is a bit of a glitch in the whole guardian thing.

Bec was a guardian too, but isnt an ancestor. All the trolls had guardians that weren't ancestors.

KoB
May 1, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I want the first page on 11/11/11 to just be Gamzee turning to Karkat all serious and being like "Karkat..... my face hurts."

KoB
May 1, 2009
I think the difference being that we got to know the kids for so long, then we completely threw the kids out the window and brought in the trolls with the longest pesterlogs yet. Its not that its too many words itself, its too many words about people we dont yet care about.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Again, its not just :words: or new characters. It the most words yet along with (basically) new characters for months.

I think its fine but I can completely understand why people could thing its a huge slog.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Mortal Sword posted:

Act 1 has definitely been the simplest to translate so far. I'm hoping folks'll like the way it's turned out.

(I'm the designer Hussie hired to work on the books, by the way)

Neat! So the first book will just be Act 1?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Gizmotinker posted:

Grandpa (J) will have Riflekind.

Bro will have 12Bladekind. (hero of time)

Mom will have Alcoholkind. (drunken master)

Nanna will have Jokerkind. (still a prankster)

Grandpa will be dual-pistolkind.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Plom Bar posted:

To be fair, had Bec not prototyped itself, Jade's house would have been crushed by the giant meteor. That was the whole point, it needed sprite powers in addition to Green Sun First Guardian powers to protect Jade.

Couldn't he just teleport the meteor? He was already all powerful, why did he need to be all powerfuler?

KoB
May 1, 2009

gowb posted:

Okay, I'm on my first read-thru of this book-comic-movie thing, and oddly enough I just got to that part! And I'd like to ask, why did Bec prototype himself? Why didn't he just warp the meteor, or throw something else into the sprite? It also seems really bad that he prototyped himself, and apparently Jack is the end boss? Which is something I hadn't picked up. Is there another recap coming, because I took a long break and forgot some of the things that were happening.

If the answer to what I'm asking involves spoilers, then sorry, please don't spoil me!

I thought I had given up on this thing forever, because it seemed too confusing to be worth it. The only reason I decided to give it another try is because I had a weird dream about it last night, but all I can remember is what it was about and that it was interesting. I'm finally starting to figure out which troll is which, thanks to that little game in which you are Karkat talking to everyone in the big grey room. Speaking of which, what is that grey room? How did they get beyond time like that?

According to this movie ([S]Jade: Enter), Jack caused the rift? But I thought they said the kids caused it? And why did Vriska interfere like that - was she trying to kill Jade? I thought she was in on the conversation that said Jade and John were technically siblings.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I got banned from the chat a month or two ago because some guy had a problem with my forum posts (even though I had never met him before and had done nothing but ask HS-related questions...)

Thanks for reading this stupid post! I feel like this story is starting to come together for me, especially now that I've gotten a little past the frustration of not knowing who the heck any of the trolls are. I definitely still prefer the kids, especially John and Dave and Rose, but the trolls are starting to grow on me. Terezi and Karkat especially, since they seem like the nicest (who have also gotten the most screen time). The others are just way too mean and I don't understand why they try to kill each other all the time.

You will get answers to pretty much all of this by the time you catch up. I wont give yes or nos since I dont remember exactly when Jade: Enter takes place.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I find it amusing that the guardians-turned-kids are still older than our kids.

KoB
May 1, 2009
If every Troll stayed alive, including Sollux, the only elements left that arent alive are Heart, Void, Hope, and Life. Guardian kids will be these four so that we have 1 of each element alive.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Have we actually heard from someone who knows what they're talking about that you need Heroes of Time and Space? Its all just conjecture from the kids/trolls right? As long as you have a beat mesa/Forge you should be fine right? Is there anything to say that only Time and Space get those? We only have two examples out of theoretically infinite previous sessions.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Since the ectobiology process seems to always create two sets of people, I should think that if these new kids exist at all that should pretty much guarantee that the old kids exist in this new universe in some form. And while the original session had the kids create ectobiological clones of the guardians, the trolls, (presumably since Karkat doesn't beleive in ancestors) ecto-cloned themselves, and they were in a second session too.

How separate is Skaia from our Universe? If we assume theyre separate then the past timeline where John created the ectobabies still exists and the babies still teleport into the universe normally. Theyre simply appearing in a post-scratch universe this time and the Guardians-now-kids will enter their own incipisphere, where they wont create ecto-babies. John created them because it was inevitable. He existed, therefore he had to create them.

KoB
May 1, 2009

haruspex posted:

I can't believe nobody has brought up what is clearly the most important question of all: If Mom is now a kid, does that mean Dad Egbert is going to have an epic romance with . . . Rose? (John is gonna be so mad! Getting cockblocked by your own son/brother/dad/guardian, totally uncool.)

If it mirrors the previous session, John and Jade are already dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Walliard posted:

There's nothing to say that the "ancestors" can't have landed after their descendents. In fact, we've already seen an example of that with the Handmaid.

No, we've already seen the items the kids were sent with. Both bunnies, Col. Sass. book, and Dave is apparent because of SBaHJ.