Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fiction posted:

I am still kind of holding on for a bubble breakout. It would fit with the theme of death being not in any way final in MSPA.

The one thing that kills the bubble breakout idea for me is that, narratively speaking, there's a pretty strong sense of finality to Vriska's current disposition in particular; her case was wrapped up very, very neatly and bringing her back now would undo that. Then again, I suppose if there was a mass breakout and she deliberately chose to stay behind and face the consequences of her actions for once that would possibly be an even nicer capstone for her character arc.

Still, I wouldn't really expect any breakout before the epilogue, simply because I doubt Act 6 is going to have any room to do anything with a bunch of extra background characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Vateke posted:

I think a Bubble Breakout could work in a temporary capacity, with the dead assisting in events around the Green Sun, but not being able to move on with the living to what remains.

Also, I don't think any of you appreciate the true scope of a bubble breakout. We've seen characters from doomed timelines in the bubbles, like John. This implies that every dead player from every timeline is out there. Now, count how many Aradiabots were in the battle with the Black King.

That is a lot of trolls.

A lot of troll(bot)s who would presumably still be doomed to die.

For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if paradox space applied the same rules to alpha-timeline dream bubble escapees--there don't seem to be any insurmountable physical barriers keeping them there, but since they're "supposed" to be dead it would make sense if the universe conspired to keep them that way. That covers your temporary breakout, I think.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A good poster posted:

If there was any sort of interactive portion of it, Youtube wouldn't be an option at all. Hussie should definitely throw the .swf file in a torrent, and he could also put it up on Rapidshare and Mediafire, and all the other file hosting services. Is he assuming not everyone knows you can drag a flash file into a browser window and play it that way?

I didn't know this. But I'm pretty sure Windows's default behavior when you double-click a flash file is to pop open a browser window.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I just kind of skimmed the last 10 pages but I caught a couple of people speculating on the Outer Gods' motivations. They were complicit in delivering the Tumor, so either they're kind of evil or else just really dumb--either way, still not to be trusted.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

"Only he knows", but I'm going to guess that Jack simply knows a lot due to his First Guardian prototyping.

That or the ring itself. The White Queen had all this poo poo figured out too.

For that matter, Jack was pretty much the highest-ranking member of the Derse hierarchy below the Queen, right? He might have some idea of how the Veil temples work anyhow. DD seemed to have some vague concept of what he was doing when he made Bec.

Cleretic posted:

Actually I think the Beat Mesa was disconnected from LOHAC after the actual act of scratching.

It kind of looked like it was levitating towards Skaia, so Jade might have caught it anyhow. The idea of Jade carrying around a universal reset button would open up a hell of a lot of interesting possibilities.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Skepsist posted:

Does this mean there are two green suns now?

No, Dave and Rose just created the first and only green sun (or at least the only one for these universes? unclear if it's a multiversal thing or what.)~Time shenanigans~

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

Too many pages to read! Too much flash to take in at once! And all of it is good. Aradia is totally going to turn on everyone once they're gathered together. Which is why Jade and John aren't meeting up with them just yet!

You might want to not use spoiler tags for things that aren't spoilers. :ssh:

I find it somewhat interesting to note that both groups of Prospit and Derse dreamers are segregated from each other right now (Sollux, having a dreamself on both planets, is present with both groups), possibly lending credence to the theory that the Derse dreamers hanging out at the Green Sun are going to join team English, and Jade's going to rendezvous with the Prospit trolls to confront them for the ULTIMATE PROSPIT VS. DERSE DANCE-OFF.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Forer posted:

they point to the giant green flash of light in the sky and then sollux psychic's the meteor, it's assumed he's taking them to the green sun

Edit: Dammit, beaten

There are a few shots towards the end (I want to say the PM vs. Jack showdown) where the background actually has the visible yellow trail from the meteor streaking across the sky towards the sun. No assumption necessary, that's where he's going.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jvempire posted:

Like one of my friends said that Lord English was summoned and that Rose, David, and Aradia were going to fight him.

We don't know for sure that this isn't what we saw! I think the possibility that the Green Sun itself is Lord English (although obviously he has other manifestations) is not an unreasonable interpretation.

SpaceDrake posted:

Not explicitly, but it seems to enter his mind after Jade gets killed. He was perfectly fine hangin' around the Kids incipisphere until Jade got killed, at which point Jack seems to flip his poo poo and becomes determined to destroy the kids' entire home universe. He's either blaming the trolls for Jade's death somehow or he's just gone "gently caress it" and is blowing everything up because without Jade there's nothing holding him back at all.

Note that he's sitting around in an Incipisphere which is about to get erased from existence by the Scratch, and he no longer has Jade there to give him any motivation to stick around. It's entirely possible he simply figured he had to get the hell out of Dodge, and when he emerged, hey, there's people to murder here.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

creationist believer posted:

Well, we now know that Scratch does lie, but he did tell us "On his arrival, not about to repeat the mistakes leading to his banishment, he quickly obliterated all twelve planets, followed by Prospit and Derse, to weed out those who might outsmart him in the same manner." Nothing about the way Jack ended up in the Troll's session jives with that so Scratch was probably lying to us.

It depends on how much Jack knew about the Scratch. He escaped the kids' session mere minutes before everything in it was wiped from history due to the Scratch--if he was aware of what was going on, then it would make perfect sense that he would leave (and could reasonably be said to be leaving involuntarily), and upon arriving in the troll session, immediately seek to destroy anything that might let the trolls rally to create a new Scratch.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't doubt that Homestuck as a whole is a fantastic and probably historic (in the internet sense) story, it is most certainly one of the best things on the internet right now. But looking at this flash on its own, while it's certainly very long and epic (in the actual sense of the word) and helps to spin the story's climactic buildup, it's not a particularly spectacular bit of media. Yes, it's great in that it is giving us more of the story and has cool music and is heavier on the animation, but it's nothing we haven't seen before in Homestuck. Andrew's not an animator, and it shows. All of the movement in the flash consists of stretching, shrinking, and rotating otherwise stationary objects, and it looks especially awkward when Jade is moving her arms around and moving stuff. It is essentially a long series of normal Homestuck panels with slightly smoother animation and cool music, but it doesn't really push the flash boundaries or anything.

It did have some very neato splitscreen/screen-in-screen effects--the Jack/Snowman scene in particular comes to mind. I kind of wonder if Andrew was drawing inspiration from his experiences doing the Scratch intermission and its crazy simultaneous panels everywhere. But yeah, a lot of the actual art was janky. Actually overall it was not my favorite flash; I think I prefer the more frantic jumble of action that most of the other big flashes end up being, although I definitely understand why these events needed to be invested with the extra dramatic weight that the slower, more sedate (relatively) pace gives.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

There might be quest beds in the middle of Prospit's moon, too, but I don't think anyone has ever bothered to check.

Oddly enough, though, there was only one quest bed visible at the center of troll Derse's moon, whereas the human Derse moon had both Derse players' beds side by side. This kind of gives Aradia/Dave/Rose the vague feeling of having been marked for something special, which I think contributes to the turncoat theory. But I don't think there's any particular reason to suspect anyone is evil other than the fact that a showdown would be cool (especially if it is a rap showdown. Gamzee vs. Dave for the fate of the universe.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tensei posted:

As was mentioned, it sounds very much LIKE something that would be in one of those games, but really is its own thing (to me it actually sounds like something from a Studio Ghibli movie). That doesn't indicate any plagiarism, but just shows a really intricate understanding of that particular style of music on Beatfoxes part.

Yeah, right. I'm on to you guys. Frog Forager? Clearly a straight up copy of like every JRPG town theme ever. I've already sent a letter to Square-Enix's lawyers, enjoy spending the next 20 years in copyright jail you plagiarizerers. :shepface:

Midnight Raider posted:

I can't believe after months of "So and so is turning evil :v:" people are still doing it completely unironically.

I don't regard it as a serious line of speculation in any event, but inasmuch as I've given it any thought I've been looking at it from the perspective of what Derse and the gods from the furthest ring are all about. There's always kind of been a question mark surrounding the split between Prospit/Derse dreamers and why some of the players are associated with the "evil" faction. The troll game was even explicitly divided into opposing teams, which Vriska eventually figured were supposed to actually fight--and even now, there's currently a symbolic split in how the living troll and human players are divvied up into Prospit and Derse dreamer groups.

For a while it just seemed to be an alternate source of guidance: the Prospit dreamers got visions from Skaia, the Derse dreamers got whispers from the furthest ring, both factions were working towards the same end. But now we know that the gods of the furthest ring have been manipulating events towards Lord English's ultimate ends the entire time. Maybe they were just duped. Maybe they were playing along with what was preordained to happen. It certainly seems there's a decent likelihood they're not playing for the good guys' team, though, and that casts those that serve them in a new light.

Again, just because Rose and Dave (and Aradia?) have been working with gods that have been working with the Big Bad does not mean they themselves are evil--they may realize they've been played or accept what's been done as a necessary for causality's sake, and immediately turn around and work to undo what they've been manipulated into doing. But the possibility remains that they might choose to roll with it and stick with whatever agenda the dark forces have. There have been hints before that Rose and Dave may not quite be cutting it as heroes, and Dave in particular seems aware and resentful of this.

The significance (if any) of the alternate Quest Beds is still an open question, too--the quest beds out in the various lands are all essentially tied to Skaia (that's where the newly risen gods appear), while the quest beds in Derse, obviously, have a connection to Derse and everything it represents. Are they just there as a backup plan, or does the players' choice of which bed to use (choices as players being a very strong recurring theme of the game) mean they're somehow throwing in their allegiance with one side or the other?

Ultimately, while there are still unanswered questions about the significance of Derse, its dreamers, its quest beds, and its gods, I don't seriously regard outright confrontation as a probable outcome. It's still an interesting line of speculation until we get those answers, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Of course they're not the only two sessions, we know fedorafreak made it into another one :toot:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

starfish prime posted:

Hmm...but didn't the trolls complete the game without ascending to God Tier? Does that mean that their completion was premature? What would have happened if they had entered into the new universe as non-God-Tier players?

I guess Bec Noir's rampage at their "game over platform" (or whatever you would call it) was "right" in the eyes of the game, if they were really intended to be God Tier at that point, and the trolls cheated a bit too much to complete their session properly.

Yeah, at this point we know that despite the trolls' early bragging and nominal success they basically hosed up all over the place in their game. In particular, you've hit things on the head about Noir's rampage: the ultimate objective of the game is to breed a new universe (in frog form) but Karkat hosed that up and wound up with a defective frog-universe. Having Bec Noir show up to wreck their poo poo and kill the diseased frog-universe they made is apparently supposed to be a direct consequence of Karkat screwing up the frog breeding process; he is the manifestation of the fatal flaw bred into their frog.

So the most likely explanation for the majority of the trolls missing god tier is not that god tier is supposed to be rare but that the trolls are just fuckups. On Andrew's old formspring he once pointed out that the Quest Beds serve the explicit function of taking players from their various planets straight to the Battlefield (which they have to do at some point, since that's where the final showdown vs. the Black King takes place), so they're probably supposed to be part of the "normal" progression of the game and using rockets to get there is just cheating.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SpaceDrake posted:

Wait, at what point did any Jack, ever, kill Jade? The whole point is kinda the fact that he can't.

Well, not in Act 5. He killed Dream Jade when he wrecked Prospit at the end of Act 4.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
To be honest, it's not my favorite album. The main line of Homestuck and Alternia volumes have basically been getting exponentially better with each release up until now, but personally Vol 8 seems like a half-step back. There are a lot of excellent cinematic score type pieces, which is very thematically appropriate for where in the story it's getting released, but for me that just doesn't add up to a lot of must-listen pieces.

Also I think my mind just subconsciously rejects it because it doesn't have enough Doctor remixes. "Wait," it says. "That thing I just listend to only had like maybe half a Doctor remix. It can't possibly be a Homestuck album." C'mon, music team dudes. We need more fuckin Doctor remixes.

Hussie Hunt is a delightful change of pace, though. I dunno, maybe this will be one of those albums that grows on me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

While you're waiting for an update, Andrew posted part 4 of the flash recap-explanation-thing on his blog.

Okay, so far in these recaps Andrew has pointed out that Lord English:

-is basically a pimp
-is associated with the kids' memories somehow
-is a master of time

D... Dave? :ohdear:

(still pretty sure LE is his own independent character and not something that an existing character "becomes" though)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

Hopefully this doesn't balloon into another Midnight Crew intermission taking up 3 months.

Hopefully it does balloon into 3 months.

Because obviously it will be the long-awaited fedorafreak intermission. :dance:

(Also the Midnight Crew intermission wasn't even a full month long and probably barely over schedule at all. It was Hivebent that was slated to run 3 weeks and lasted 3 months instead.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ixjuvin posted:

Also, I'm betting that John and Jade become Colonel Sassacre and Betty Crocker

Betty Crocker is the troll empress :ssh: She was recruited by Lord English via Doc Scratch via the Handmaiden and sent to Earth to influence events there that were beyond Doc's direct control.

Also Colonel Sassacre is literally Mark Twain. While Mark Twain is also a meteor-delivered time traveler from an alternate universe, he is not John Egbert.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cyrai posted:

I started reading through Homestuck again for the third time. Because I'm insane and because I'm impressed by how many words Hussie writes along with the incredibly prolific updates in general, I'm pasting all the text into a text document so I can get a count of how many words this is. I'm also typing in important text from the images as well.

At the moment, I'm just a bit past John and Rose connecting their SBURB sessions. The wordcount is ~7800

I hope you realize that the update text is already done for you on the site, right?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pleasant Friend posted:

I don't think the Condesce is Betty Crocker, I mean sure, it could happen, but I'm betting Hussie is misdirecting us like with Doc Scratch's front door. The only thing Scratch said about where he sent the Condesce was that it was a place Lord English couldn't go himself, and Earth doesn't really meet that description. I'm betting she's the person who's supposedly killing all the horrorterrors. What's more fitting for a Feferi's ancestor.

Could be, but 1) the horrorterrors seem content to help Lord English's plans along and 2) there's no indication that Lord English can get into the Earth universe in its current state (and Doc told us that at least one purpose of the Scratching mechanism is to prepare a universe for LE's arrival.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

creationist believer posted:

Karkat explicitly spells it out here. Assuming he's not wrong about it.

That's part of it, yeah, but the way other characters have talked about it make it seem like it's somewhat more involved. Karkat references a future/past conversation where he had explained the Riddle to John in more detail, which appears to be an incomplete conversation, which will probably be dropped on us in flashback when it comes time for the big riddle reveal.

Also in the process of searching for that conversation I found this:

a spooky ghost robot frog posted:

AA: what d0 y0u want with the s0urce 0f the first guardians
AA: what g00d d0 y0u really think c0uld c0me 0f it
TT: Do you know about it?
TT: The sun?
AA: y0u cant p0ssibly wield its energy 0r put it t0 c0nstructive use
TT: That isn't exactly my plan.
AA: y0u w0nt find it either
AA: its imp0ssible

Foreshadowing :aaa:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I thought you said Jack there for a moment. I really don't like the close up view of his face just before he cuts a chump.

Yeah, but it's fleeting. The Jade front view (even the side view, to a degree) gets shittons of cheaply-animated exposure that it's really not strong enough to carry.

I suspect the goofy, simplistic drawing of Jade in that pose was probably kind of necessary to facilitate animation, though. Someone needs to buy Andrew a Korean sweatshop to crank out tweens for him so that he can fully animate this poo poo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CidGregor posted:

I'm shocked to even heard mention of that comic on this forum. I didn't think it was very well known at all.

That being said, the art style of EGS is actually pretty decent, I think. I mean the comic has its problems, sure, and plenty of them, but the art isn't one of them, especially when you compare the first strips to more recent ones, it's one of the most drastic scales of improvement I've ever seen.

/derail

There is a thread for webcomics that aren't Homestuck too, you know. EGS tends to get short shrift when it comes up there, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

So it totally makes sense on many levels for PM to be the one to wear the White Queen's ring and fight Jack -- Propsitian vs Dersite; dog vs mailman; etc -- but then why was there all that foreshadowing earlier about WV doing it instead? Y'know, this dream sequence?

Interestingly, note that the main theme of the dream sequence isn't about WV fighting Jack, it's about WV being Jack.

Someone theorized that PM is going to beat Jack and the barely-alive Vagabond will be saved by putting on Jack's ring. HMMMM.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Starmaker posted:

I'm somewhat confused about Lord English. Wasn't he explained, way back at his introduction, to be the destroyer of universes? Like a sort of anti-Sburb?

Why then would a universe have to be destroyed to bring him into it? I was under the impression that Scratch's machinations and the whole Green Sun thing were simply to
create him, not to bring him into a universe. If, in order to bring the destroyer-of-universes into a universe you had to destroy it first wouldn't that, well, wouldn't that negate the whole loving point?

I figured this brought LE into everywhere, and everywhen. Just like for the Green Sun. He's outside of time and blah blah but he still needed to have a point of creation. Like the Green Sun. So in the reset universe he'll already be there, he won't need to be "brought in." Because if he did (in a similar fashion) then their universe would have to end too and then he wouldn't do anything.

So why is he the villain again? What is it he's supposed to do? Destroy the universe? Already done. Kill the horrorterrors and the Outer Ring? Apparently that's being done too. Is he supposed to end everything? All existence?

It just doesn't make any sense to me how he could be a bigger threat than Doc Scratch, who already orchestrated the destruction of two universes. To bring in LE. To destroy the universe.

e: I mean, I'm sure he is the villain, and there will be some very villainous reasons for him to be the villain, but why do we, right now, think that he is? What has he done? What is he supposed to do? What could possibly be more at stake than two universes. All universes? Then why do people keep talking about his entrance conditions? Is it the life of the four kids and six trolls? Okay, they're the protagonists and all, by being threatening to a group of teenagers isn't especially ominous.

There are still some mysteries surrounding the whole process, but from what we've been told, it works like this:

-Lord English enters a universe at the instant of its destruction
-Being an immortal master of time, this means he is free to travel throughout the entire timeline of that universe--even though his "starting" point is the end of the universe, he is present for its entire history
-Lord English recruits various minions (Doc Scratch), who in turn recruit other minions (the Handmaid, Snowman), who orchestrate the events leading up to the destruction of the universe, thus setting up his own summoning

So far Doc Scratch has been the one we've seen doing stuff, but he is ostensibly just a puppet carrying out Lord English's will. Is actually literally a puppet, for that matter. It's possible that this is all an elaborate act of legerdemain and Doc Scratch truly is the villain, but if we take things at face value (a risky proposition!) Lord English is ultimately pulling the strings.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Boneless Jogger posted:

I'm thinking something like this too. Back in the Intermission, there was a part where it said Lord English could only be defeated by glitches in spacetime, I just keep thinking back to that.

Exactly. Like Starmaker points out, Lord English has, by definition, already won. So beating Lord English is likely going to involve breaking a few definitions.

Early on Andrew swore up and down that Homestuck would not end in a repeat of the DMK fight from Problem Sleuth. I think the finale may be more of a riddle (perhaps the Ultimate Riddle?) than a high-power slugging match.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

King of Solomon posted:

Well, this brings us back to Jade. She brought her universe frog with her when she entered the new universe. It's not a complete victory for Lord English yet. He has the two current universes, but there is that future universe to consider, and from the sounds of things she did it right, unlike the trolls. If they can defeat- hell, stave off- Lord English long enough to finish the game, he won't have won.

There's no such thing as "stalling" Lord English. The instant they step foot into a new universe Lord English will have already won or lost.

It's possible that they will thwart Lord English altogether and save the new universe from LE outright, but it would probably be more dramatically interesting if they go head to head with English and take him out in a universe where he'd already won. I think the foreshadowing tends to point in that direction too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Quotetype posted:

Don't hate on LE, he is just. hungry guy looking to have some food? What else is he going to eat? Not Olive Garden, that's for sure.

Actually that's the ending. The kids take Lord English out to Olive Garden so that his insatiable multiverse-devouring hunger can finally be satisfied thanks to endless breadsticks.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

King of Solomon posted:

Terezi killing Vriska was a decision, just a calculated one based on what she saw in her vision. As has been shown, decisions are what cause beta timelines to spawn.

It's never been established that beta timelines do or don't exist except where they're necessary to loop back into the alpha timeline.

Alectai posted:

And since when the gently caress has Hussie ever done an interlude that turned out to be meaningless? He likes fake-outs, but he never spends lengthy tangents on something that turns out to be entirely pointless. Especially when he was already compressing things down and cutting out sidelines.

The fans basically demanded that kind of in-depth closure for such an explosive issue as Vriska's death, though. Andrew does most things for a reason, but sometimes that reason is just introducing concepts. In particular, Andrew wanted to depict Jack Noir killing all the trolls because, as he described it in the end-of-act writeup, this was the chapter where Jack Noir Kills Everyone. There may be some additional retroactive significance to the Vriska vs. Jack tangent later, but that significance is not necessarily going to be a beta Vriska flying out of space to deliver pirate justice.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

thanks alot assbag posted:

So wait, what was the deal with Doc Scratch in the end? Since that universe is over, was the 'death' he wanted a result of the end of the universe? Or did he really die because Hussie shook him to death.

I'm gonna have to go back and read that conversation he had with Rose.

Also why is Karkat not turning his back on the body? Argh, Scratch!!!

Doc Scratch said that his death would be simultaneous with everything else going down, so he probably wasn't dead dead until the universe ended.

It was stated either in the comic or in one of Andrew's Formspring answers that "don't turn your back on the body" was basically Scratch pranking Karkat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

did we ever find out what was with that apocalypsearisen deal? The one where she's like a ghost? The one that we were all shocked about. Because really, I know there are dreambubbles and all, but her case was so different. I hope it doesn't get bullshitted away by something like "Oh, handmaid, it was all a plan of doc scratch all along!!!!!!" because that'd be the worst.

Could just be natural psychic powers. We're told that the lower troll castes are predisposed towards greater psychic abilities, after all, and she's on the bottommost rung. I doubt all of them turn into psychic ghosts or else Alternia would be swimming in them, but she could just be uniquely gifted.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

That's the Queen's ship, right?

That's PM taking a shuttle to the Battlefield to collect the white king's sceptre and crown.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Radio Paranoia posted:

That's a really strange perspective. I agree that the chatlogs do a lot to characterise the characters, but each of the troll's individual typing quirks can also be adapted to their clothes. Their outfits are varied enough that even to the casual observer, they should be able to tell the difference between say, Vriska and Feferi, or Karkat and Equius.

Same with the kids really. It's actually quite interesting how well characterised the sprites are with only a few small cosmetic changes, especially with the kids when it was mostly monochrome. At least the trolls have a certain style or colours associated with them.

The problem (other than the fact that a lot of cosplayers are lazy bums and the majority of troll cosplay defaults to "black wig, black shirt, gray skin, horns") is that it's not a matter of being able to differentiate between two characters, it's a matter of being able to pick out individual characters from among a crowd of similar ones. If we had only ever had the 4 initial trolls outside observers would probably have been able to keep track of "normal guy, normal girl, red glasses girl, giant horns mohawk guy", but with all twelve (plus whatever goofy batshit variations cosplayers come up with) it's no great surprise that they wind up being one big blur to some people.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kakumei posted:

I don't know if this is a fantroll or what, but I saw this one at the most recent Otakon and couldn't quite figure out who she was supposed to be.

Looks like some variant on a female Eridan.

Why the gently caress do I know this :negative:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

That said I'm STILL not sure how I feel about him being the one to get moirailed instead of Vriska. Not that I was her hugest fan for most of her existence, of course, but she really could have gotten her showboating rear end calmed right the gently caress down just as easily as Gamzee had. All it would have taken is Kanaya finding her on that roof instead of Terezi, and she was much closer to redemption than Gamzee was or is.

Not necessarily; Kanaya's tried to reason with Vriska before and it hasn't worked, and it's possible that Karkat's shooshing efforts may have been bolstered by his title as the Knight of Blood. From Greek medical humor theory we get the word "sanguine", which literally means "bloody" but which is more commonly used to describe a chill, content demeanor; maybe Karkat's Hero of Blood power is DOING THE SHOOSHY THING.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

Wait, no that doesn't make sense. Jack is "already here." "Here" being in the Trolls' incipisphere where the universe's Bilious Slick resided. He does not cease to exist at that location no more than the kids cease to exist. The scratch of the kids' universe shouldn't affect any timeline other than the universe's, meaning the troll universe, troll incipisphere, furthest ring, etc. are all unaffected. Jack does not need to be sent into the medium again because, again, he is already there.

It's the same reason why if the new universe has new iterations of the kids, it will not affect the kids who were able to escape the scratch.

If we're going to be dealing with Lord English inside the new universe, the destruction of the new universe is presumably still going to be a prerequisite. It's kind of elegant when you think about it; if English & co. are indeed trying to get into Earth's universe, they've already set up the summoning requirement. Lord English might not even need an alternate-universe Doc Scratch to effect his summoning in Earth now.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I thought sanguine referred to a fiery passionate person? Which Karkat clearly is, so it would still work, if differently.

I think that's more what choleric is supposed to be. At least if we're talking about Karkat-esque fiery passionate and really loving pissed. Anyhow I'd still be kind of reluctant to read too much into this bullshit.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 31, 2011

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Seoinin posted:

Kanaya didn't so much try to reason with her as nag her to clean up her room.

That's what Vriska said! But Kanaya explicitly brought up that example to try to get through to Vriska on a very important point. It's one of the key flaws of Vriska's character: she wilfully refuses to acknowledge the consequences of her own actions. When Vriska painfully trods on the dice lying around on her floor, she chooses to attribute it to cosmic forces of luck and dismisses Kanaya's more pragmatic assessment that this is a logical consequence of leaving her room such a mess. Vriska's worldview does not admit the possibility that her actions (being a slob) can have negative consequences (constantly stepping on painful dice); from a character perspective Kanaya's meddling was a way for her to try to address this broader flaw using a simple concrete example, from a story perspective this introductory conversation served to illustrate what would be one of Vriska's core failings.

This disconnect between actions and consequences comes up again and again. She demands in all earnestness that Tavros apologize to her for being crippled and expects that ghost Aradia will be grateful to her for getting Equius to build her a robot, choosing to remain oblivious to her own prominent role in creating these circumstances. It's why, ultimately, Terezi's attempts to reason with Vriska were doomed to fail--Vriska did not want to hear that she could possibly be responsible for anything bad, so her perfectly reasonable warning fell on deaf ears. It made her dream bubble scene particularly poignant, because it's perhaps the first time in the story that she's had to face consequences head on (apparently) without any way to weasel out of them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Seoinin posted:

I was nodding in agreement w/ your post and making little "mm-hmm" noises until this point right here. Vriska ain't owning up to poo poo in the dream bubbles. If anything she's just mildly irked that she got shivved like a total chump.

I'll confess my interpretation may be a little bit too hopeful at this point, but she did at least have a really good OH poo poo moment; compared to how she'd typically reacted to adverse consequences, this is at least progress of a sort.

EDIT: Also since I forgot to bring it up in the last post, one of my favorite lines in Homestuck is during the Vriska/Terezi confrontation flash when Vriska admits she was responsible for killing Tavros and then immediately appends "I guess" with a puzzled look on her face. Even at that late point in the story, after all her heart-to-heart talk with John, she still has trouble understanding this whole responsibility concept.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Building on this, every time we've seen the kid's universe in the context of Bilious Slick, it's always zoomed in on his right eye. (Our left)

There's a universe in the other eye, too.

I think those are individual galaxies. I admit I'm not entirely sure what an entire universe looks like but I don't think that's it.