Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

This flash was longer, harder to actually successfully view, and better than I had imagined. What a way to end the hiatus. Now if I could stop watching it and finally get some sleep. I can't wait for the fanart to start rolling in.. Although some of the cooler artists contributed to the flash already, so we might have to wait a while to see more from them.

Walliard posted:

So hey, who wants to come up with a nickname for 4x-prototyped PM?

Postal Messiah. :kamina:

Also it's a pun. :rimshot:

Radio Paranoia posted:

Where is my full version of Spider's Claw, Radiation?! :argh:

If it's not one of the bonus tracks I'm going to be highly dissappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I can't believe after months of "So and so is turning evil :v:" people are still doing it completely unironically. I didn't see smug, I saw smiling. Aradia is meeting her new allies and friends. Rose and Dave are both alive, and god tier, two things they both thought weren't going to ever be a thing for them when they went on this entire little excursion.

Having neato-keen new powers as well as not being evaporated corpses like they thought they were going to be is probably overriding the feelings of being used to create the green sun.

Also, I'm curious as to if someone from the music team can explain what the null song was, that little thing is a puzzling mystery. And if Radiation would explain why we didn't get Spider's Claw as promised. :colbert:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

If Homestuck is a first draft of itself, it makes me curious as to how the novelization is going to be. It'd already be a different experience just from being a wildly different medium, but if Hussie decided to tighten up parts of the story he wasn't happy with.. It could be interesting to see what differs.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

The reason I brought up novel changes in the first place because I heard(although I don't remember WHERE, now, which makes it all exceedingly unhelpful) that Hussie wasn't even going to go the Problem Sleuth book route, but actually adapt Homestuck entirely into actual novels, which would really make them entirely different beasts.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Ok, yeah Karkat couldn't possibly know about all the stuff Gamzee would do. It's more that his first reaction is to try to get Equius to kill him rather than try to peacefully resolve things.

I mean yeah Gamzee threatens him right off, that's pretty upsetting, but then Gamzee basically says 'come find me and we can resolve this peacefully' but Karkat doesn't even give it a chance. He sends Equius to kill Gamzee and then hides, leaving the rest of his team to their own devices. I guess a better strategy would be to find a safe place to stash Sollux and then have Equius and Nepeta meet up with them, then go find Gamzee to kill/caress him. Safety in numbers and working as a team and all that, right?

I was pretty caught up in all the tension of the trollocaust updates, and I didn't see any honest chance that Gamzee was being honest with the 'get my reconsider on' in his message at the time.

In fact, to me it sounded more like a threat, kind of a horror movie-esque "If you don't come out here I'm going to kill someone else, I want you to come out so I can kill YOU." That was scary poo poo. Considering that Karkat just watched another murderous highblood cut down two of his friends, he probably wasn't immediately going to jump to the conclusion that Gamzee just needed some gentle shooshpapping to stop from doing the same.

Not to mention, at the time he probably didn't see any way it could end any more peacefully if he went than if Equius went(as Gamzee liked Equius as a friend), and Equius had the plus side of probably not being easy for Gamzee to kill. A theory that didn't pan out, unfortunately.

Mazerunner posted:

And honestly I don't think Karkat was a good leader during the Troll's session. Well I guess they didn't all kill each other which is a plus but for the most part it seemed like they were working individually or in small groups/pairs and didn't really have much overall co-ordination at all.

I think considering that the trolls were a bunch of chaotic near-murderous and rather bull-headed(sometimes literally) characters, Karkat was probably about as good of a leader as they could have gotten. As Vriska touched upon, any less and they probably would have killed each other, and not killing one another maye have been the most they could have hoped for. John-style "Leadership" might have just had most of the trolls ignore Karkat entirely. (Which.. Is pretty much what the kids do, really. Except unlike the trolls they don't murder one another when unsupervised.)

Granted, the tables may have turned now since most of the less controllable trolls are dead, save for the juggalo(who I'm not entirely convinced is no longer a problem), so a different form of leadership may be viable NOW, at least.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

YF-23 posted:

Thinking back on [S] Jade: Enter, it seems to me like there was no real reason to do a 4th prototyping at all. The Bec piņata Jade had to shoot to enter the medium was there before the sprite's first prototyping so technically it should have been possible right? But I also remember that the first prototyping done pre-entry being sort of compulsory (stated indirectly; I recall a second pre-entry prototyping said to be needlessly powering up the enemies, which would imply the first one is necessary). Anyone know what I'm talking about?

But I guess the state of prototypings could play into how Paradox Space decides the alpha timeline.

You may be confusing prototypings total(as in, from all the players) with prototypings from individual kids. A second pre-entry prototyping from an individual kid(as done with Rose) just needlessly augments enemies, but each kid needs to pre-prototype at least once otherwise the battlefield won't be shaped. You can technically enter without prototyping as it's not a direct part of the entry process, but it's not a good idea.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Starmaker posted:

I just thought of a question, are the players all supposed to reach God Tier? Like in a normal, successful game? I remember Hussie's musings on behind-the-scenes stuff on his forumspring, and he'd mentioned that it seems God Tier was how players were "supposed" to reach the battlefield for the final confrontation, and that mythically they were all gods of the universe they create. Originally it seemed like only a few were ever going to reach God Tier - Vriska and John. But then all the kids did. Of course there's no way to know, but what do you guys think, do you imagine the new batch all reaching godhood?

I only recall it mentioned somewhere being said that dying on your quest bed was a more 'traditional' way to get to the battlefield, specifically in comparison to how dream John got there via falling moon. So I assume there's still other ways to get there, and that reaching God Tier still may not be an a"always" thing to happen.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

TG: i am like
TG: AT PEACE with that reality fromerly known as a raw fuckin deal for what avenues it closes betewen u and i that bein your bffsy has got to mean but yeah
GT: Wait what?

Poor teenMom, she's so sure that she's getting friendzoned, and Jake is so oblivious. That said, she's still hilarious.

Glory of Arioch posted:

The troll slang is probably just that -- slang. BCCORP seems to be a much bigger influence on the world in this iteration of the Earth universe, and if indeed the Condense is the Batterwitch, it stands to reason that trollish vernacular may be more common.

Also, wild animal lusii.

This is pretty much my theory on the matter.

Fortis posted:

Jake's laptop is called a HUSKTOP. Hmmm.

Considering that we just saw he has a Husktop a few updates ago, not too surprising.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Well Manicured Man posted:

If each book ends up being an act, Book 5 will be about as many pages as The Lord of the Rings unless Andrew does some serious trimming. I'd expect a lot of Hivebent to be condensed, along with probably some of the Scratch section.

Also wondering how Andrew's going to tackle the walkaround flashes. But that isn't going to happen for a while.

From the placement of the page in the example photo, I think this book will be either about half of Act 1, or all of Act 1, mostly because I'm stupid and forgot precisely where that scene was. However, I seriously doubt the subsequent books would be an act each. And editing Act 5 enough to fit in a single book like this, no offense, but the notion actually made me laugh out loud.

That said, I think people are taking Andrew's "Rough draft" comment way out of context at this point.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I can't even imagine how many people bailed during the WV/Midnight Crew/Troll/Doc Scratch bits if they're that adverse to prolonged Hussie tangents. And unlike those events, this time the tangent was broadcast well in advance, we already know where it's going, more or less what the end point will be, and we even already basically knew who the characters were(but to the extent where we were left with their mysteries to ponder over). Not to mention we can already see it's moving at a decent clip compared to what we've seen before.

And just as well, this part isn't just developing the Guardians, through their dialog we're getting insight on to how they would have been interacting with their eventual kids in another time and place. So we're seeing glimpses of how the Kids came to be who they were, to an extent, not just who they may eventually be interacting with. We're also learning about the effects of a Scratch and seeing firsthand the work of one of Lord English's lieutenants.

And hopefully an eventual near-final boss, if just because a "cake sellin genocidal alien overlard sea queen" in an alien empress becoming Betty Crocker(and possibly getting fat on cake if TG isn't just making sick burns) is such a hilariously absurd and yet in this context an entirely reasonable premise for a villainess.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I actually sort of wonder what would happen if Terezi had just lopped off one of Vriska's fairy wings instead.

Re: Schadenfreude chat: Death is tragic in almost any form, but it's possible for death to be at the same time humorous, when one injects something funny or absurd into it. Believe it or not, it's possible to laugh at a silly death without being a psychopath. (Same with the mishandling of a corpse, in regards to Tavros.. Entire movie franchises(Weekend at Bernie's) have come from such humor.)

Equius was one of my favorite characters, and riding high on the rich and uncertain mood set at the time of the Trollocaust, his death was initially very tense and scary! But when he died with that goofy smile on his face, it was hard not to laugh. While at the same time jumping every time I heard a horn honk. There is some nuance involved here.

Factory Factory posted:

I'm not sure folks are recalling that immediately before Tavros' decision to take out Vriska, Vriska taunted him at length about how she manipulated events to kill alterna-Daves, psychic-double-reacharound the other kids, and ensured the creation of Bec Noir, the villain who just ruined everything, ON PURPOSE.

The problem with this is that Jack was Already There. There wasn't anything Vriska could have done to stop that from being a thing, so she (immaturely) decided that as the one destined to put a stop to the problem, she should also be a part of their villain's origin story. Other than this, and her poorly-played attempts to caliginously woo Tavros earlier, she hadn't actually done a whole lot but help the troll team in their game, and supposedly she would have continued to merely be an ally with a terrible personality.

(As such, it did in fact take magical Seer powers to determine that Vriska's awful hare-brained heroism plan actually would create a problem later on, so Tavros gets no points for trying to kill Vriska. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.)

Tavros was mostly riled up because of Vriska's villainess monologue, which was mostly blowing smoke, and he acted on it in a less than constructive manner, not a positive development. A more effective show of "Heroism" would have probably involved letting the others know, and deciding what to do as a group. (Failure to Act As A Team pretty much was one of the reasons half the Trolls ended up dead, so it's not just a failing of Tavros alone.)

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

FewtureMD posted:

Bro's corpse? That would be a good way to mess with DS's head...

This would be a hilarious callback to the time after Jade: Enter where people were hoping for Bro's corpse to get secondary prototyped with Bec, which spawned some amusing and sometimes surprisingly cool fanart.

That said, I only want big Bro prototyped if the other prototyping is something as equally silly, like Lil' Cal or a Lusus.

Other than that, I'm hoping for the Robo Bro and Auto Responder double prototyping. It'd be a good way to consolidate two interesting concepts into one character.

Either that, or prototyping both Sawtooth and Squarewave and somehow having a two-headed rapping robot sprite.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

thanks alot assbag posted:

Sweet, got my signed copy of the book! Got a nice little picture of John. Probably helps that my request was "Just draw whatever" since I was sleepy and sorta drunk.

You might have been more sleepy and drunk than you recall when ordering, since I'm pretty sure they weren't actually letting people specify what they wanted their doodle to be this time around.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Lord of Laughton posted:

No, they're pretty much stuck on the ship unless they jump off. Jade even said first guardian powers have no effect in this gap between dimensions. Therefore she can't shrink/expand the planets, herself or John. Maybe if they had a microscope

That's not what she said at all. She didn't say first guardian powers have no effect, she said they were incapable of instantaneous travel between universes and sessions. They may not be going as fast as a First Guardian might theoretically be capable of elsewhere, but she's still moving a battleship at the speed of light without the occupants being reduced to paste. Whether the shrinking/expanding is Space or First Guardian powers, she's probably still able to do it. (Most likely shrinking, so they won't need to leave the ship.)

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

That's exactly what I was suggesting, yes. It's based on little more than the idea that Jade personally went frog hunting with Dave rather than having him independently retrieve the frogs for her while she mostly stayed at the breeding station.

I figured that they both went out frog-hunting, but that Dave was the only one who would fade out for cheating time shenanigans moments whenever they got to the right spots that needed time-based frog extraction. We haven't actually seen any proof in the comic that Time players can actually bring along guests through time.

Also, if you factor in Rose getting extra time by merging with her beta universe self, then Jade already gets an extra thirteen years by merging with her dead dreamself.

Factory Factory posted:

Dad is adopted. Problem solved.

I'm not sure why, but I kind of like this theory now.

Edit: ^^^ Also I agree that Nanna's supposed husband isn't shown because he probably just wasn't relevant. (Also maybe they adopted.)

Wandering Knitter posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but did anyone else instantly buy a calendar after quickly double-checking that there was no troll crossdressing this time?

On top of that, I think the calender is actually cheaper than last year, and has even cooler art this time around, including a few that were already art prints, which means it's pretty much a built-in discount. Motherfucking C.R.U.N.K, man.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Fat_Cow posted:

I think... Vriska's body flew off into space.

And straight into the green sun, where she'll come back as God Tier II.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Gamzee is his best friend!!!

Everyone is his best friend. :colbert:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

This update is like poetry in slow-motion.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

AuroMarshmallow posted:

Did anybody else notice that there are more sets of feet than there were people around when Karkat got hit by the bucket? The only thing I can think of is that Gamzee came back and is just staring at Karkat with everybody else.

Nevermind, I didn't count Aradia.

I have to admit, this would have been pretty funny, though. Although it's not like these past updates have needed any help being hilarious.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Maybe she was just trying to put him in her green pyrotechnic pocket, like Jack did with Lil' Cal, but missed and dropped him through the hole in the bottom leading into the Green Sun.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Lamuella posted:

so any guesses what Jacklike PM's name is going to be?

Paramount Marauder?

Postal Messiah, obviously. (It is a postal pun.)

Commutator posted:

I think I'm missing something. Why was Jack Noir able to catch up to the meteor, again? Sollux killed himself with the strain of propelling the meteor through the Furthest Ring far in excess of the speed of light. But First Guardian powers only work inside of universes "illuminated" by the Green Sun, and therefore they don't work in the Furthest Ring. And without First Guardian powers Jack can only move as fast as his wings allow him to fly.

Wings that allow him to fly at the speed of light, just not over it, are still a pretty big deal.

I still wish I knew why everyone was taking "I can't move faster than the speed of light." to mean "First Guardian powers in general don't work here.", because that's not what was said at all. Breaking the barrier of light is a pretty drat big deal, and it's nice that Jack can't use it to just catch up with the heroes now, but there's nothing saying the rest of his abilities don't work, which is why he's still so dangerous.

Bro and Davesprite nearly equaled 3X Prototyped Jack, and Liv Tyler with weapons pretty much did, so a bunch of God Tiers and end-game players wouldn't be nearly as worried if Jack was suddenly missing his green pyrotechnics.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I'll admit, I unironically liked the vocal version of Ballad of Jack Noir. Maybe because it's hilarious to imagine that really being Jack himself singing it.

Plus he's a better singer than Bowman, anyway. :iceburn:

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Rays done (Land of rays and frogs).

Kanaya's land is similar to Jade's in many ways, so I took some of Jade's eastern sounding melodies and made them less pronounced, while still distinct, much like Kanaya's character is in general.

It's not bad, and I like the instrumentation, although I think the earlier critiques about the distinction between atmospheric music and regular songs might still apply here.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

It's been said a lot, the whole creation/destruction dynamic between the two. Prospit wants Skaia to survive to create a new universe, and Derse does not.

The entire end point of the white/black conflict is that Derse wants to start the reckoning to destroy Skaia, and they need the White King's scepter to do it. Prospit's role is to prevent this from happening for as long as possible, hopefully so the heroes of the game will destroy the Black King's scepter in time to stop Skaia from being destroyed.

(Of course, both sides usually follow the rules of the conflict in fighting their war, which is why the kids don't usually get murdered in their sleep before the game starts. Crocker doesn't play fair.)

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

The only thing holding me back is that I feel like if I buy the first book, I'll have to buy them all, and considering how many books it'll take to cover the story, that's a big money commitment!

I'm worried about this as well, but the desire to own HS merchandise managed to overpower my wariness in this case.

This time around it looks like they have.. Signed bookplates? Hmm.. I wonder if they're still hand-signed or if this is mass-produced in an attempt to keep Hussie from developing carpal tunnel.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think he signed them earlier while they were waiting on new stock, so now they can just be slapped in.

I suppose he'll be doing a different character for each volume, collect-em-all style. Which increases the pressure to buy every book at the full release price!

Glad to know I didn't just pay eight dollars for a printed sticker, then. If he does do a different character for each volume, then he'll have officially snared me into buying a signed book two because I really wanted a Rose doodle and wasn't well-off enough to jump on the Problem Sleuth signings. :(

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I hope someone does a jaunty lil Dad song

A pretty nice one has already existed for a while, by one of the music team as well, and I think it'd be hard to beat.

http://homestuckgaiden.bandcamp.com/track/under-the-hat

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

So Bandcamp has a limited number of downloads.. Why, specifically? If it's to cut down on bandwidth, then that doesn't make sense because the act of listening to the music is going to take bandwidth on it's own.

Also, Ro-- Lalonde continues to be the best of the new characters. Although Hussie's teasing of us with the names of the blonde duo is almost getting downright silly at this point. (If these kids really were spawned from the pre-scratch meteors, then they aren't related to each other as ecto-siblings because they were still ecto-clones of themselves.)

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Well Manicured Man posted:

I figured I'd better make some progress on my contest entrant Homestuck starts up again and I lose all my willpower. It's not fully mixed and mastered yet (as you can tell), but I've got the general composition down pat.

It's a song about John. You can tell it's a song about John because its title is a pun on "heir". Also because it almost quotes a few lines from Showtime and Doctor, but I tried to make them subtle.

Not bad! Although if you ask me, it could use more from Showtime, but I say that about pretty much every John song.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Maybe she wants to get rid of Jane's computer before they play because there is secret and terrible batterwitch malware embedded deep in the innards of her machine.

Her bigger priority probably would have been the Batterwitchy Tiaratop computer Jane has. But given that she's wearing it, blowing that up might be a bit problematic.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I recall a long while back Hussie actually livestreamed the making of one of his pages. (I believe it was the frame of Dave looking at the croc-shaped temple with the clock on it.) Is a video of this saved anywhere? I've been very curious about Hussie's actual digital comic drawing process.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Walliard posted:

The kings get prototyped, too.

Although if there's no prototyping, that means the battlefield never expands, so Black never gets the forces needed to defeat White, so no Reckoning, so no meteors? Hmmmm...

Come to think of it, if the Post-Scratch kids really came from the Pre-Scratch meteors, then there is no need for any new meteors. But with the Batterwitch at the helm of Derse, I doubt they'd truly need a prototyped battlefield to combat Prospit if they were really intent on doing so.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Someone earlier had an idea of prototyping both Auto-Responder and the (eventual remains of) Brobot, to give a real full mechanical Strider.

What I'd like to see is seeing the robot Squarewave and Sawtooth both prototyped to create the ultimate two-headed rapping robot.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Lady of the Beech posted:

Is it strange that despite the artwork I always imagined Dad having a sleek sculpted combover?

Since Dad was biologically Nanna's son, I always envisioned him in a state of "Having hair" as opposed to "Not having hair", since we might have a vague idea of what his hair would actually be like. (Of course, unlike his son/brother/mother/etc I figured he would in fact have some neat and trim combover or other such sleeker and more businessman-esque 'do, to fit his profession and also neatly fit under the hat.)

Somehow my headcanon clung to this even though his sprite in the grimdark flash looked bald, since I wondered if Hussie had just been in too much of a hurry to edit a hairdo onto the sprite once de-hatted. But now that we've seen him sans-hair in the comic's real style(although now he looks like a lightbulb when de-hatted and from the back), I guess we might have to assume baldness. (Or just really short hair, since adults seem to universally have white hair in HS.)

I guess all that shaving cream might be more than just for his face!

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

At first I didn't notice the ROGUISH part, so I initially couldn't find a reference to a title prefix. And since I was looking in the last paragraph, I initially wondered if she was going to be the DIP of VOID. Which might have been quite possibly the worst title in the entire game.

I was still sort of hoping she wasn't going to be void, just so it'd mean that the blackouts were caused by grimdarkness(grimdrunkness?) later on.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Pakled posted:

I really don't want to know why he has his own tiny pony :gonk:

Because a gerbil-sized pony is easier to take care of in an apartment than a full-sized one, duh.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

A Spider posted:

Jesus.
Br- uh, Dirk (drat you hussie) is on Equius levels of horrifying.
e:
Taking bets on full title!
Dirk, _____ of Heart
>Bro
>Prince Don't ruin the fun
>Gangsta
>Ninja
>Puppeteer
>Waker

You mean Equius levels of awesome.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

Forget the Gamecube guys

I'm gonna go get a shirt with a hat on it

e: oh no, the fans are trying to push Hetalia on Andrew. Why?

Just wait for the inevitable Post-Scratch kid merchandise, I knew from the second I saw Dirk's shirt that I had to have it.

Also, I think the Hetalia question may have been a subtle(???) attempt to get Hussie to say something bad about the show(since there's pretty much no possible way he wouldn't if he so much as looked up a synopsis of the thing), just to further rile up the whole "Hetalia vs. Homestuck" fandom slapfight on tumblr or whatever.

Edit: VVV Because they're both huge fandoms at the moment, and there was some scuffle between both at a con or something, so there's a vocal minority who decided that there was some kind of fandom gangwar to be had. Vocal minority, mind you, so at least it's not a widespread outbreak of idiocy.

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 16, 2012

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

closeted republican posted:

Honestly, I hope this racism thing make some people stop thinking that Hussie is an infallible god. The worship he gets is pretty creepy, and people act like he's some sort of perfect writer and story teller. He's not, and he's made plenty of mistakes in the past (like relying on user commands for too long in Homestuck, the sheer amount of trolls he unleashed on us at once that really didn't do a lot for the plot and the like, the troll shipping stuff, the exiles being very underused in the plot before Act 5 Part 2, the White King could've been killed off much earlier instead of the song and dance with him being exiled, Nannasprite suggesting that there was a previous session with her in it when UU confirmed that there wasn't). I'm hoping that this racism thing will make at least one person look back and say "You know, Hussie's just some kinda-hipster dude that likes making mind-screw plots without completely plotting them out from the start" instead of "OMG THE PERFECT COMIC MAKER EVARRRR".

That's not to say I don't love Homestuck's characters, plot and the like; it's just that I don't pretend it's perfect like I've seen some fans suggest.

I actually see a bit of the opposite of this sometimes, with surprising frequency. I hear some people who have opinions about the comic, and like to give them more weight by claiming that their issues were "Because Hussie isn't a perfect writer and makes mistakes" rather than "Something happened that I just didn't like".

I recall seeing an argument a while back that someone was complaining about something dumb like how they thought all the trolls should have gone God Tier or something, and when people said that was dumb and things were fine as they were, they said "Hey, Hussie's not perfect, stop sucking his dick, he's not a professional writer, he makes mistakes. :smug:"

Also no less than three people who blamed Tavros's death on "bad writing". :psyduck:

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 17, 2012

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I think that was about this page - Nannasprite implies the echeladder was relevant in her youth, which I suppose could be interpreted as a misplaced reference to Jane's adventures.

I thought the Echeladder was implied to be like sylladexes and whatnot in being a construct of the HS world as a whole, and not just the game. The echeladder has references to the game, yes, but so does the sylladex. (Or maybe rather, that maybe every world destined to play the game simply has those things to begin with.) Considering that armed combat with your parents is entirely a normal thing in HS, it's probably the kind of universe where it's entirely possible to have enough adventures to gain levels even before getting into SBURB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

Oh God, is Calmasis's design intentionally similar to that God-awful Lord English fanart from before he was introduced?

I can see it being a subtle chuckle at the people who expected/complained about the lack of a prettier Lord English, and how pretty villains are more common in self-indulgent youth-aimed fantasy books.

Gnome de plume posted:

Oh, hey 'Cal'.

I cannot believe I completely missed that.

That said, with the vague UU reference, it's really hard to imagine someone suffering from grimdarkness saying *hugs and kisses ^u^" online. Funny to imagine, but hard.