Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
I began reading Homestuck this summer, and finished reading it the very day it went on hiatus. So I don't understand it quite as well as my friends, who have been up-to-date for a pretty long time. But doesn't it seem strange that God Tier is apparently so easy to achieve? Isn't it said at some point that going God Tier is something that never happens in most sessions? I was thinking that maybe it was happening so often because the kids and the trolls have overstayed their welcome in their flawed sessions, giving them far more time to ascend the echeladder, but it just seems unusual that literally everyone who has died on or near a quest bed has ascended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

Fortis posted:

It's supposed to happen, I think. Vriska intimates to John at one point that she thinks that the trolls were supposed to kill eachother, because then more, if not all of them would have ascended to God Tier.
The players are supposed to ascend to God Tier and then create a new universe. Then they enter the universe they created and literally act as its gods, hence the title.

Hmm...but didn't the trolls complete the game without ascending to God Tier? Does that mean that their completion was premature? What would have happened if they had entered into the new universe as non-God-Tier players?

I guess Bec Noir's rampage at their "game over platform" (or whatever you would call it) was "right" in the eyes of the game, if they were really intended to be God Tier at that point, and the trolls cheated a bit too much to complete their session properly.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
UU said that boid players have "a way with flUmmoxing even those with plans beyond mortal Understanding," so I wonder if that means anything for Equius? Could Hussie be telling us something??? Perhaps Equius is...wait for it...Lord English himself. :tinfoil:

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

Lady of the Beech posted:

Has it been explained why God Tier trolls get fairy wings? If it has, I missed it.

Think Hussie said that it was supposed to play into the insect theme the trolls have: they call their young "wigglers," live in "hives," and when they ascend to the God Tiers it's like a final stage of metamorphosis.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
I have perhaps a strange way of thinking about Vriska - I really enjoyed her character and thought she was an extremely fun part of the story, but I am extremely glad that she's gone. It gives everything she went through some weight. She has served her purpose as a plot catalyst, has an extremely well-conceived arc, and couldn't possibly add anything more to the story, except perhaps through a little dream bubble closure.

With that said, does anyone else strongly suspect that Vriska will appear in the dream bubble that's approaching the meteor? The other dead trolls have had lots of minor callbacks, like Equius/Nepeta in Roxy's dream bubble adventure or more recently Eridan/Feferi. All we have seen of Vriska is probably-Mindfang. Just saying that it might be time for more Vriskachat within the next couple of weeks.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
When I heard the first 30 seconds of Fuchsia Witch I was struck by nostalgia for Mario Golf 64. Did anyone else have that experience?

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

Jazu posted:

Speaking of classes, it kind of annoys me that any of them are divided into male and female, because it seems like sburb ought to be applicable to any species, even if they're hermaphroditic, or have 6 sexes, or one sex is non-sentient, etc.

I think the implication is that all species are designed to play sburb, not the other way around.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
Well count me in as someone who thought that Hussie could do no wrong until Act 6 began. I mean, theoretically the act *should* be interesting, but the new kids aren't interesting enough to justify the abandonment of the characters that we've spend thousands of panels getting to know. I mean there have been some really awesome moments in Act 6 (penis ouija, LE shooting up Hussie, and now the UU reveal) but some parts, like the Aranea-pink-moon-reunion, are just downright awful, especially when some character lectures us about things which have already been established.

AH has never failed to disappoint in the past, however, and it's entirely possible that after the UU reveal things are going to pick up. It just doesn't feel like we're building up to a massive climax like in Act 5.

I also wonder how in the world this story is going to conclude in a satisfying way, considering that we're almost halfway through Act 6 and supposedly Act 7 is going to be one of the shortest chapters. I mean Christ, I thought at the beginning of this act that all four B2 kids would be into the session by this point.

Oh and Jane is the biggest flop of a character that Hussie has ever produced.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

So far, Act Six Act N has been about the same length as Act N. Considering the length of Act 5 - and that right now the kids seem to be set to arrive in Act Six Act Five Act One - I really doubt we're already halfway through Act 6. After Cascade I'm pretty sure Hussie can pull off a satisfying ending given enough buildup.

Yeah but do you really think that Act 6 Part 5 is going to match the length of Act 5 proper? That would mean that Act 6 comprises half the comic, and it's going to go on for two more years or some poo poo.

I think that Cascade is also supposed to be the big action climax of the comic, isn't that what he said? Or did I misinterpret him?

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
Oh yeah, I don't know if anyone noticed this, but there was a tiny bit of foreshadowing in Dirk's conversation with uu:

quote:

uu: I FEEL SO uTTERLY OBSCENE EVEN *TYPING* THIS.
uu: HA HA. FuuuCK.
uu: MY CHEEKS ARE PROBABLY BRIGHT RED RIGHT NOW.

Which could refer to his blood color, of course, but also to the red spirals which are sure to be on his cheeks - which, at the time, would have been a pretty clear LE clue.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
Doesn't the meteor situation seem a little suspicious to you guys? Especially considering that Rose just...left her book there despite all the hard work she put into it. Perhaps something goes horribly wrong at some point during the meteor's journey?

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
You know, for me, it's not even the characterizations of Jane and Jake that bother me, even though they are unusually dull. It's the fact that they have NO agency. What purposes do they serve? There were many times in acts 1-4 where it felt like the original kids were subject to the whims of circumstance and forces beyond their comprehension - it was basically john's designated theme in his session - but we learned about them as they (well rose and jade) did, and each big reveal, like the trolls, scratch, etc. was meaningful. Now we know more or less exactly what's going on AND, what's more, 1/2 of the kids are totally loving inept.

So that's what I think is going on that makes this act so subpar. In acts 1-4 we saw the kids stand up to threats and succeed just as much as they failed. John fought his way to the first gate, Rose took down a huge golem in an incredibly badass way, etc. and now we have characters that exclusively gently caress up and it's just not fun waaaaaaah.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

Cabbit posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody in this story has any agency, considering the entire thing is one giant predestination paradox donut.

I guess agency wasnt the right word. I suppose I meant that the old kids really felt like they were accomplishing SOMETHING, even though most of it turned out to be peanuts compared to killing a time traveling demon or whatever. Plus they actually, you know, entered the medium within an appropriate timeframe. For gently caress's sake, this act started LAST YEAR and Jane is still the only one in the game yet.

I don't know exactly how the page numbers compare but considering that the entire universe had to be established in the early acts, the original kids entered blazingly fast.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

Color Printer posted:

We're on Act 6 Act 3, near the end, and Roxy is just about to enter the medium (and maybe she does?). Guess when Rose entered the medium? End of Act 3, which was almost a year after the comic started.

Sooooooo :v:

Yeah but like I said everything was new to the reader then. There was actual worldbuilding going on instead of characters like Aranea droning on and on about stuff that an attentive reader should already know.

But I dunno. Everything about Uu is positive for the story and I do suspect that it's going to pick up pretty soon. I just think that Hussie could use an editor.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
Regarding Dirk, I'd like to point out that he's very clearly being set up to commit The Ultimate Fuckup - creating, or having a part in creating, Lord English. And every other theory that has received similar hints in Act 6 - Strider kids in Waterworld, the decapitation, etc. - has been realized. So don't assume he is going to be flawless forever - that's incredibly premature.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
Does anyone think that maybe these 3 walkaround flashes will comprise all of A6I3? I mean that's a pretty solid amount of content, and we would probably have a chance to catch up with every character.

Also the line between the "main" part of A6 and the "intermissions" is super blurry anyway.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
This flash was incredibly awesome and seeing the B2 kids adventuring around their incredibly hosed up sesion rekindled my desire to work out a Homestuck tabletop RPG system. I remember that some people were doing something similar via the internet a few months ago - doing some kind of Homestuck RPG - so does there exist some material there that I could use as a starting point? Obviously it would be preferable not to start from scratch on account of how drat...Homestucky it would have to be.

If someone could help me out I would be eternally grateful!

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
I loved the dialogue in this update but doesn't this represent the biggest cheapening of god tierdom yet? In Act 5 it felt like god tiering was a terribly risky process, reserved for only the best players, if Vriska was to be believed. I guess it's just hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that Roxy has LITERALLY NO IDEA how to work her powers. The Alpha kids (except Dirk) don't seem competent enough to be god tiers, and I get that that might be the point in some hosed up way, but it still bugs me.

I guess I always imagined that god tiering could fail if you weren't good enough. It can be an accident like Rose/Dave's situation and still be successful but it could also be possible to die on your quest bed and...not ascend. I'm a little disappointed that that isn't the case, because it makes it a much more interesting mechanic. At this point it's weird NOT to be god tier.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Keep in mind Vriska was talking about herself.

What we've seen of god tiering show that it's ridiculously easy, mechanically speaking, if you know about how it works. But it's not an easy step to make, psychologically. All you need is to commit suicide at the proper place... Dave balked at this cost.

I get that the idea is that you have to face your own death...but that's not really how Hussie has approached it after its introduction. It doesn't seem like the Alpha kids were even close to finishing their session, growing up, or understanding their powers and yet here they are. I had just assumed that if a player was in that situation and died on their quest bed, it would just fizzle, because god tiering is something you have to earn by being successful in Sburb and being mature enough to face your own death for the greater good. Take a look at the Beta kids - Rose and Dave had definitely come to terms with their own mortality in their suicide mission, and John and Jade's situations made enough sense. Aradia's situation was a subversion of the god tier process, where she had been dead and comes to terms with living. Vriska is Vriska. I have to go so I can explain more later, but I do think that I would have written the god tier stuff differently and introduced a greater sense of risk into the process.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

I think your problem is that you want god tier to be something more than it is, to be a grand announcement of a character's maturity and such. That's not what it is though. It's just superpowers. Maturity is just something you have to learn, superpowers or no.

Well it's not really a problem is it? :( But yes, I do think the story would be more powerful if god tier was more than just superpowers. The theme of Sburb is clearly supposed to be "mature into an adult person and shape a universe in your image based on the lessons you learn during the game" so the god tier mechanic should probably reflect that a little bit.

TheDemon posted:

But if you recall how he reacted afterwards, had he known he probably would have let it happen anyway. He was ready - contrast with Dave.

e: see also facing down Jack atop that castle, or trying to volunteer for a suicide mission

Yeah that's exactly why John deserved his god tier. He was ready to die for the greater good. I'm pretty sure Jade's god tier played into her denizen's plan as well even though it was CD who killed her with the surprise shaving cream explosion.

I mean I just imagined the two criteria for god tier as being acceptance of one's own mortality and success in the game itself. Like I told my friend earlier, just because you have beaten an RPG before doesn't mean that you can instantly head for the secret cave that holds the most powerful weapon in the game. Same for god tiering: just because you know how it works doesn't mean you're ready for it. But it's Hussie's webcomic and I'm just some shithead, so.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
It's really strange imagining the kids living in society before they started playing Sburb. It's an angle that the comic doesn't explore very often - the outside world gets only the most passing of references after the kids enter the session. John wanted to save the world but quickly learned the real intention behind Sburb, and I don't really remember the other kids caring that much about the world they left behind, mostly because they were largely "home stuck" before entering their session (so was John but he had action movie cliches to follow). With that said, John's alienated perception of his neighborhood aligns with the tone of the rest of the comic much more than Dave's Google-image-searched reality.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
Now that Hussie has announced his first major extra-Homestuck project, I am pretty excited for what the future holds regarding him and video games. There's no denying that Hussie brings a...unique perspective to everything he touches and I think that the realm of video games still holds a lot of uncharted territory, especially if he chooses to work on something more "serious" after this Namco project.

Equivalently I would loving love for Hussie to do character designs for a Dota-like or something.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
The timing would be perfect for Supergiant. I just wish we had any idea what kind of game it was. "Adventure" is about as ambiguous as you can get, and I'm going to be much less excited about it if it tends towards Myst rather than Zelda.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Then prepare to be disappointed. Zelda is Action-Adventure, while Adventure is much more akin to Sierra games, Sam and Max, Walking Dead, or the Walkabouts we've had in Homestuck. Adventure is a pretty well-defined genre.

Did Miyamoto say that? I don't think he has...regardless I don't think at all that there's a consensus on what constitutes "adventure." It's about as ambiguous a term as you could possibly use to describe a game.

Anyway I never said that there was anything intrinsically wrong with Myst. Just that I don't think it works well with Homestuck - honestly I didn't like the Jane walkabout at all. I personally find that genre rather tedious especially when it's standing between you and the narrative, which is what I care about in the comic and what I will probably care about when playing the game. Besides, although I haven't played Myst since I was a kid, I don't see that format really adding anything to the story Hussie wants to tell. Give me free exploration, choices to make, use the mechanics of the game to convey how far the characters have progressed like any good RPG would.

I will say though that a lovingly crafted text parser would be perfect for Homestuck and I'm willing to play a Sierra or Lucasarts-style "graphic adventure" as long as it does something totally sweet like that.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

Dorroile posted:

typical adventure game puzzles

That pretty much says it all. Unfortunately if it is similar to Jane's walkabout was then we'll have lots of these to look forward to, although not as obscure as some of the King's Quest games or whatever the gently caress. Often the worst part isn't usually figuring them out - it's seeing what you have to do early on and spending half and hour running around putting the pieces in place.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
As cool as the Mayor is...

...if his death is the catalyst needed to get Dave and Terezi actually participating in the story...

...then I'm kind of okay with it. Better than hundreds more pages of Hussie being withholding.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

The key to being a successful time traveller is autism and having the mindset of a literal child.

Uh, it's Koos and all, but it's still sort of insightful.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

WhiffleballDude posted:

You're forgetting just what Lord English's Timey Thing is. Inevitability. This isn't a hosed up alpha timeline, it IS the alpha timeline. There was always going to be glitches. The one doing the reality altering is John.

Though I guess the fact that the artifact that gave John that ability belonged to English means that English may very well be doing the same thing, so who knows.

Well, there's still a lot of uncertainty regarding all this. I think what they were trying to say is that the reality glitches sometimes encompass whole conversations, which seem to happen as though neither participant knows that there's a problem (like Jane/Jake's prison interrogation which we haven't seen yet) and other times it acts more like a bad telephone connection where it inhibits characters' ability to understand one another as we're seeing with Dirk and Dave.

I wonder whether the artifact has given John the ability to sweep away the corruption or if it's a never-before-seen feature of the Breath aspect or Heir class. All we know for sure is that it caused him to become unstuck in time and place.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

It seems fairly apparent that it is an aspect of the Breath class, which makes sense if you think about it. The corruption is basically dust in a game cart. People blow poo poo out of old game carts to clean them if they're not working properly. Breath.

Well yeah there's the dust-out-of-the-game-cartridge thing but would any Breath player be able to do it? He's cleaning up after Lord English's mess after a close encounter with the artifact that's supposed to be his only weakness, so...

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

That would kind of disrupt her still-unfinished character development. All that foreshadowing can't come to fruition from the afterlife for her the way it can for some others.

Plus the Condesce has executed her master plan flawlessly so far, surely she wouldn't let a VIP like Kanaya die.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
There's a minor glitch in this flash, there's a dummy clickable field that's sort of behind the potion list that brings up an empty text box. If you click on the flash window and press tab you can find it. This is um obviously really important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
Hussie's greatest trick is being able to make us wonder, even after all this time, whether he has a grand plan for this story or he's just taking the hugest piss ever egged on by severe undiagnosed mental illness. And it's wonderful.