Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Starmaker posted:

Andrew outright stated SBURB (or SGRUB or whatever) is how universes reproduce. I really have no idea where anyone got the idea that these are the only sessions? There's been absolutely no evidence, inside the story or out, that this would be the case. These are important sessions of course, which is why the story is focused on them, but I really don't see why anyone would think they are the first, last, or only ones :confused:
Evidence of lack-of-other-universes? Well there wouldn't be, unless there was some way for a character to explore the entirety of paradox space during all time periods. And time and space are presumably infinite. At this point, all we have to go on are fleeting references to the possibility that there are other universes. I don't think any of them have been concrete. fedorafreak's messages are probably the closest thing we have to evidence of another successfully initiated game session. Doc Scratch makes some suggestions that could be inferred as referencing other sessions (where he has existed and successfully achieved his plans), but you have to be very careful about how you interpret the things that he says. As with the mission to create the Green Sun (which was suggested as something that needed to be destroyed), you can't definitively say that Doc Scratch wasn't "lying by omission".

Also consider: if universes can only be created after winning a game of Sburb, who or what created the first universe? And then who or what created the circumstances that created the first universe? …etc. Andrew is putting his own spin on creation myths. He is Doc Scratch. He'll leave stuff out on purpose so he can surprise you later about how everything you thought about the story wasn't the way you thought it was, while still remaining true to his original statements.

I think that other universes existing in Homestuck is an obvious possibility, like the possibility that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe outside of Earth (in real life). But as for right now, we only have two known universes that seem to have been constantly affecting each other's fates from their inception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Rasamune posted:

"First", he says. Has Act 5 literally taught you nothing?
Haha, yea, I wasn't talking about first in the chronological sense. The point was that we do not yet know if there is a bigger picture, or if it is even relevant yet.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Talorat posted:

I always got the feeling that Dave and John had met before the story began. They make several references to each other's appearance and the appearance of their rooms at the start of the comic, so unless they are going around snapping pics of themselves and uploading them to HomestuckSpace they must have met in real life before.
GameFAQs is the only option for social networking in Homestuck, and those kids know better.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

For anybody who is interested in the Olive Garden story, the journey begins here.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

> Retrieve your coat, there are dames to be enslaved!

You are quite positive there has never been a coat in your office, and never will be.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The majesty of the wolf-head illuminated by carefully timed lightning is the only thing of value that will be lost when Homestuck goes to print.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

TheRagamuffin posted:

Bro's color is orange, apparently. :psyduck:
Corresponding with the Kernelsprites, of course.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

He probably just illustrated Jane looking up at the sky (screen) for artistic impact, and then decided to explain that she literally did that, as a joke.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

And Tomb of the Ancestors is out: http://homestuckgaiden.bandcamp.com/album/tomb-of-the-ancestors

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

I wonder if Jake is going to end up being the host for Lord English just like Doc Scratch was.

Nah, that's way too obvious.

Just as the Professor foretold.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think these gaming abstractions only become relevant on a need-be basis. Say Andrew wants a character to have enough grist to create a certain tool. He will just say that the character had enough grist to do this. Likewise, if he doesn't want the character to be able to access this tool (as it would give him the ability to cross some kind of obstacle that he couldn't cross before), he will just say the character didn't collect enough grist to do so yet. There's no great build up or concern for grist deficit— it just is or isn't.

No character will be like, "if only john had killed that last imp, he would have been able to overcome the great felt knight!" If you're looking at this from strictly numbers, you're going about it the wrong way. Hussie has explained (through one of his various forums for explaining things [formspring, MSPA forums]) that levels aren't really important, and that a weaker character can beat a strong character if they are caught at a point of vulnerability. Terezi killing Vriska is a pretty good example of this. I can't find the exact quote, but he used a DBZ reference to scouters and power levels and how this story wasn't like that.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

My reading comprehension's clearly not the best, but I missed where his domain is Hope. I got Page, but I missed Hope.
GG: "The Page is dead."
GG: "Our hope is lost."

Spellman
May 31, 2011

CidGregor posted:

So I'm not really "with it" on this whole tumblr craze because I am a crotchety old man, someone explain this statement to me:

As far as I'm aware it's not dissimilar to pretty much any other blogger site, so unless your friends list feed is jam-packed with homestuck stuff I'm not really sure why it would be noticeable let alone insufferable if a bunch of random strangers were posting art on their own blogs elsewhere on the site entirely....?
It's the news feed on your dashboard that most people browse through. Say you were following someone who used to draw and post all this good stuff, and then one day they discover Homestuck and all of the sudden they're drawing all these trolls making out with each other. Or imagine from an outsider's perspective: This thread getting transported into other people's news feeds, with the added bonus of whatever weird-rear end theories people have about the story UNCUT and UNFILTERED.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Now the glubbers can finally chat with the naknaks.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Fast forward to 3 years when they finally make it to the fourth wall. The ship makes contact with the wall, doesn't break it and they fall on the floor. Suddenly the EOA7 animation happens and Spades Slick runs over them in a wheel chair.

The logical conclusion to Homestuck.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bobulus posted:

On an unrelated note, anyone know what font is used in that last animated gif panel? I have...reasons.
AndrewHussieFreehand.ttf

Spellman
May 31, 2011

As long as Jack can suppress his hatred for things things like mail and its agents of delivery, this can only mean good things for the chess dog people.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Eiba posted:

And who's the queen now? PM. She made it to the end of the board and changed from a pawn to a queen.

A queen is stronger than a jack.

Ergo, PM has the advantage, Q.E.D.
Jack has a 2-nothing streak on beating queens though.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

As well as spiro sprite and Cancer necklaces.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

At least it didn't end up being the Hero of Seattle's Best Tar Grist like some people were banking on.

e: parting is hella sweet sorrow.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 13, 2011

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I am sorry if this has already been pointed out and/or if I am missing something obvious, but what are Feferri's goggles doing on the floor?
Dead Sollux has been wearing them around.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Fat_Cow posted:

Does Gamzee's rage have to be triggered or can he bring it up when needed?
It needs to be repressed.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If only Kanaya stationed her pupils behind a pair of viewing spectacles.

Who even knows where she's looking now. She could be looking at you.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Act 6 is going to be all about fourth walls and fourth walls with legs.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Now hopefully Serenity joins the chumRoll so her dialog is easier to translate.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Jack: Wait.

You attempt to be patient.
You fail miserably.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Pakled posted:

I think that some of Homestuck's best dialogue would lose something in translation.
Other than making sure the facts stick, some of the humor could be reworked in ways that make sense to other languages if the translators take some liberties with the dialog. Hypothetically, anyway. It really depends on how crack the team is doing the job. Think about the way Mother 2 was translated into Earthbound. It's a fantastic game that the translators injected with their own jokes, cultural awareness, and sensibilities.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think the visuals have been improving since Cascade. That was a really cool.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Slick isn't wasting any time with these kids. He knows what's what.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Jack wasp putting himself first.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Pesterlog relevant to the current situation:

quote:

CG: WELL, HE STABBED ME ONCE.
AG: Oh, only once!
AG: Are you sure you should trust him? I don't know if I would, 8ut hey I'm not the leader.
CG: NO, NO, IT'S COOL.
CG: HE'S COOL, IT'S FINE I DON'T REALLY MIND THE STABBING, IT WAS ALL A MISUNDERSTANDING.
CG: WELL OK I'M PRETTY SURE HE MEANT TO STAB ME.
CG: BUT I KIND OF THINK THAT'S LIKE
CG: THE WAY HE GREETS PEOPLE?
AG: This game is so stupid.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Charles Schulz predicted that this would happen. This is yet another reminder that sb&hj is required reading for Homestuck.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Krinkle posted:

predicted what? I'm going to regret asking this but I just don't see what this has to do with anything
The whirlybird was a ruse. It was a Peanuts snafu that killed sweet bro, as it was for Jake.

On that note, I am keeping an eye out for how the foretelling of COMIC #40 pans out for Jack and PM. I'm imagining an evasive but invasive Jack imposing on a furious PM.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 1, 2012

Spellman
May 31, 2011

He updated, Bingo Bangos.

18 pages is very good for one day.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 1, 2012

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I don't remember Jaspers being this aloof or stuck-up.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

What's really happening here is that we're coming closer to the 1st conversation with Luckyellow. (from his perspective)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I hope this guy submits some music. The music he remixed for this animation, and others that can be found on his dA page are great.

.mp3

Spellman fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 3, 2012

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Anna Harley?
Nanna Harley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's pretty clear that Íæû ë€Å is a new joke in the light of the recent developments. It's not a cover-up and it's not meant to be taken seriously, although it will be.

e:

Beekeeping and You posted:

In the MSPA forums, Hussies actually said something along the lines of "I retconned a hilarious joke into an even more hilarious in-joke," so at least we know it's not a technical thing.
/e

I think the idea for the characters being a-racial was a fairly early one as evidenced by his responses to fans, but clearly some opportunities for jokes arose.