Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

These discussions about Japanese Homestuck truly are amazing and fascinating to read.

Unfortunately I'm probably not the right person for this kind of project since I'm all about literal translation and annotations and poo poo, even if it ultimately harms artistic presentation.

I do agree that it would take a master of Japanese wordplay in order to be able to replicate the Homestuck experience in Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

I'm not sure what happened here (as usual with me and Homestuck animations), but it was beautiful.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

I guess this means I won't be getting any homestuck pages for my birthday.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

quote:

It was mentioned earlier that Frisian was the closest language to English, but that's not really true - it's the closest to Old English. As in, pre-Norman. I'm of the opinion French is the closest language to modern English, so it seems like a pretty good place to begin.

I'm going to dispute this.

English only resembles French on a superficial level--as in, it borrowed a lot of words from French and some influences on pronunciation thanks to the Normans, but it had little to no effect on the more fundamental structures or core vocabulary of the language. Old Norse had more of an effect on English grammar than did French. In a nutshell English did not come to more closely resemble Latin languages on a structural level.

Closest living language to English is Scots. That's even after Norman. It's even somewhat mutually intelligible, though the beautiful thing about Scots is that it retains Germanic vocabulary that is now obsolete in English. So in Scots, their language is called the Scots Leid.

VVVVV Noooooo. The reason why Scots is not merely a dialect is because the division between English and Scots is actually very old. It happened during the early days of Middle English, before Chaucer.

Please don't be one of those nationalistic linguists and take "a language is a dialect with an army and navy" seriously.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at Dec 30, 2011 around 10:29

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Ic talde žec of stęgras, brožor!

Ic talde žec hund!

</Old English, from memory, stuff is probably wrong>

^^^ Hey, don't congratulate me, like I said I could be very much wrong.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at Dec 30, 2011 around 10:29

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Or perhaps she did just faint from the explosion and being unconscious means your dream self is awake.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Wait, why did he start with the dreamers on Prospit? You'd think that since he comes from Derse it would be easier to start with the dreamers on Derse.

Unless the dreamers have already left Derse so that he can't find them?

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

@ peanuts: If that wasn't a buried gun, I don't know what was.

Man do I like buried guns.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

creationist believer posted:

It's funny how John's peanut allergy has been jokingly brought up in this thread as if it's going to become something relevant. Welp.

Nothing is irrelevant in Homestuck.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

John's peanut allergy.

You people are fast.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Depends on whether or not they have forensics advanced enough to figure out he was killed with peanuts.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

I would possibly be able to answer your question if I know where the "we" you specify live.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Hussie might not live in EST.

Then again the latest panel shows Jack Noir counting down to midnight.

EDIT: Okay, that is the best ball drop ever.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

I don't think she'd be able to do lifey things if she was completely desintegrated or her head was smashed in (it takes a functional brain to do things, right?), so it's not like she's invincible or anything.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

She is not quite dead yet and used it last minute.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

You know, now that I think about it, it makes a lot of sense that Prospit and Derse inevitably end up going to war against each other. I mean, look at the planets. They are entirely giant cities, and before players enter the medium the only planet with any actual vegetation is Skaia, and that's where the actual farms are anyway. If two normally completely out of contact planets had to share the same resource to survive, they would end up competing for and clashing over said resource.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So here's an interesting thing I noticed:

Prospit has a religion, but who do they worship?

The kids who have the potential to become gods, of course!

So... why are they fighting against each other, if they worship the same gods?
Here's my explanation for the Derse/Prospit conflict:

The two planets are very much isolated from each other in the incipisphere, so the Dersites and Prospitians rarely get a chance to meet. Since their planets are city-globes the one planet they have as a resource for survival is Skaia, where they have their farms. They are competing for the same resource.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

That would be the reason why the two peoples are designed the way they are for the purposes of the game. I'm just trying to find a reason for their war as if the Incipisphere were a real place and not a product of game design.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

KoB posted:

Even the kids and guardians were created basically for the game (if it didnt exist, neither would they), the universe doesnt exist without the previous game. Everything is based on Sburb, in my opinion its all inevitable.

This all feels like one great collective attempt to stabilize a time loop. They all end up creating Sburb in order to stabilize the fact that they were in it.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

I wonder if Colonel Sassacre will become at all relevant.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

my conjecture is that the purpose of the game is ultimately to create itself, which is a condition it cannot lose.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Electric Pope posted:

If that's the case then I feel compelled to imagine that originally there was just one universe, and sburb and the multiverse are the product of an experiment conducted by time professors to see if exponential complexity can be achieved through recursive time loops. It's not even a very good experiment with like grant money and university backing or anything, just two late-20somethings with masters degrees doing something kind of interesting, but really everyone already knew it would work because of course it would.
That's way too linear for Homestuck.

I think that there never was a time when there wasn't Sburb, and that if anybody's going to create it, it's going to be at least some of the eight kids when they grow up. I think some of the kids may literally grow up to be guardians in the opposite universe.

@ NES Beatdown: That's fantastic! I love when people make stuff like this.

This reminds me that I need to get back to my piano covers of, well, anything.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Is it strange that despite the artwork I always imagined Dad having a sleek sculpted combover?

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Wild guess: Colonel Sassacre is old Dad.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

KoB posted:

Gamzee the smallest troll

I cannot unsee tall Karkat now.

In my headcanon Karkat was always the smallest troll.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

sitchelin posted:

I think Karkat being short is canon, since nobody seems to remember this exchange between Karkat and Equius:

Now we know the truth. All of the Trolls are midgets.

There is no canon as to the height of the trolls. They are as tall or as short as the reader wants them to be.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Zoolooman posted:

Pet grammar peeve here. :>

English has widely-used, singular gender-neutral pronouns.

"They" and "their."

You can find examples of this usage in Shakespeare. It was correct hundreds of years before anyone thought to say it was incorrect.

18th century grammarians tried to ban this usage because Latin doesn't have an equivalent, but they failed. People have consistently used the singular "they" in published literature for nearly half a millennium.

So if someone tells you that the "default" in English is "he," they're echoing an arbitrary rule made up by a stuffy prescriptivist two centuries ago. In real English, as it is used in virtually every field of published writing, the "default" or gender-neutral singular pronoun is "they."
A fellow descriptivist! Let's make out and have hot linguist sex

As for the alternative trigender pronouns: I'm not one to use them myself, but if someone wants to be called "ze" I wouldn't complain. I'm personally in the singular "they" crowd.

On Dirk being gay: I actually kind of didn't notice at first, I was like, aww, he has feelings for Jake? That's kind of sweet. It took me a little moment at first to realize, yes, Dirk and Jake are both guys, and yes, this makes Dirk gay or bi.

I don't think it's pandering to the yaoi fangirl community at all, just, you know, writing a character. Who happens to be gay. Or bi.

On Kanaya being a lesbian: I haven't been following her sexuality very closely, but aren't all trolls bisexual with no concept of homosexuality or heterosexuality? If so then Rose may as well be a guy and Kanaya would still have the same feelings.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Zoolooman posted:

Hi-loving-five!

Descriptive grammar is like an intellectual frog hunt through a verbal jungle. English has very loose grammatical structures with the capacity for an almost endless nesting of constructions. Whole ideas are commonly shoved into the predicate of a passive construction.

Rewriting that last sentence to prove it:

It's common to shove whole ideas into the predicate of a passive construction.

I'm apt to argue, by way of human nature, all languages have a kind of looseness and flexibility. It's just that it's different for every language.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Cavatica posted:

So this is completely different from the topic at hand, but I found it interesting.

http://www.universetoday.com/18689/color-of-the-sun/

This article goes into detail about the color of the sun from outer space. It seemed pretty cool to know that the Act 6 opening flash was a more accurate depiction of the sun. I also got my calender today!

Well that just blew my mind.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

If you don't look back at your past self and think, "holy poo poo what a moronic rear end in a top hat," you need to work on improving your life.

This is completely true.

@ update: as I thought.

poor cat who is probably Jaspers.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

It would be pretty surprising if he wasn't. This is basically the perfect explanation for his disappearance and death.

(He's also referred to as "cat who is probably Jaspers" here.)

This and he looks exactly the same.

Though honestly it surprises me that they didn't notice that the cause of his death was being crushed.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

I think we are going to see Johnsprite (there is a taxidermy of B2!John in her house, it has to happen), ARsprite, and maybe maaaaybe Rosesprite. And somebody's probably going to end up protoyping him or herself.

And hopefully, hopefully not GCatsprite.

Only of Johnsprite am I certain.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Okay, that looks like a lot of fun.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

I'm rereading Hivebent again. I kind of rushed through it the first time because I found it kind of tedious, but now that I'm revisiting it through enlightened eyes I can really appreciate it now.

Looks like Hussie was intending on Karkat getting the hate-hots for John from the beginning.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

scratch.php makes reading Doc Scratch's chatlogs so much easier.

It doesn't seem to work for the latest page though--it just redirects to the default style. I wonder why?

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Walliard posted:

Everything since the Scratch segment ended is specifically set to the default theme - this is the same reason why you can't view the Scratch pages in SBaHJ mode.

Oh I see, so because every page before the scratch segment had no specific theme set, that makes them exploitable?

EDIT: Man, I love pre-rage Gamzee. He's like the friendliest, chillest guy MoThErFuCkEr.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at Jan 27, 2012 around 23:35

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

It makes reading quite a few of the chat logs easier... until you get to Equius and Gamzee pesterlogs.

That one is indeed problematic. I assume Hussie did not have scratch.php in mind when he picked those colors.

Also, your avatar is great and makes me want to play Nethack again.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

I can totally see Dave being that immature.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

0:24, 0:37 I am actually guilty of.

Also, you should post videos with a brief description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady of the Beech
Dec 15, 2011

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I wish that video didn't exist.

Yeah, it's not a very good one. The poo poo people say videos are supposed to make a point about how casual everyday talk that even you may say is offensive without the speakers realizing it, like this one.

This doesn't really do that, besides possibly make the point that Homestuck fans can be obnoxious.

«5 »