Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Artur and Javi Garcia are massive cunts, and this comes from a Benfica fan.

And to think Baba meant to go to Celtic but Celtic didn't have the money to pay for him (2 million). Like Falcao, it'd be a shame that such a talented player would go to such a poo poo club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Porto lost 3-0 against Académica and were thrown out of the Portuguese Cup, Vitór Pereira might be fired today.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Porto lost 3-0 against Académica and were thrown out of the Portuguese Cup, Vitór Pereira might be fired today.

I sure hope he gets sacked, what a disgrace, in fact there shouldn't even be a need to sack him, he should just pack and leave.

Porto screwed this season, not getting a solid replacement for Falcao was a terrible blunder and getting this guy to coach us even worse.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Well, Kleber looked like he might be a good replacement but even Walter is scoring more goals than him. If you get 40 million for a striker there's no excuse for spending less than 5m on a non established replacement like Kleber, that was just silly.

If Pereira gets fired, who do you think you're going for?

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

Well, Kleber looked like he might be a good replacement but even Walter is scoring more goals than him. If you get 40 million for a striker there's no excuse for spending less than 5m on a non established replacement like Kleber, that was just silly.

If Pereira gets fired, who do you think you're going for?

Id say stick with Rui Barros until January, no point in rushing again, I feel that the biggest problem is that this coach lacks motivation skills, Pedro Emanuel might be a good choice for that, I'd prefer a good solid foreign coach though, problem is that Porto (and PDC) won't spend that much to get a solid foreign coach....

Bottom line, sack this coaching team and get Rui Barros, then go for a well rounded portuguese coach that knows Porto well or go outside in January...

This season is pretty much ruined atm, the only saving grace is that even with us sucking hard we're still somehow able to keep on the top of the league...

e: With all that said the players have as much guilt in this as the coach, it's impossible that Moutinho does a fantastic game for Portugal not even 5 days ago and then does a lovely game for porto, same with most of our players.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Villas-Boas will be available soon enough, maybe Porto can hire him back. :laugh:

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 20, 2011

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Pereira stays for now, I think that's for the best, wouldn't make much sense to sack a manager when Porto has an all or nothing match vs Shaktar this week.

Here are all the Portuguese Cup results, first division teams in bold:

Naval – Benfica, 0-1
Moreirense – Lousada, 7-1
AcadémicaFC Porto, 3-0
São João Ver - Tirsense, 0-3
Leixões - Santa Maria, 1-0
Juventude Évora - Marítimo, 0-1
Tondela - Oliveirense, 0-1
Belenenses - Vizela, 2-0
Alcochetense - Olhanense, 0-0 (2-4 after pens)
Mirandela - Gondomar, 1-1 (6-5 after pens)
Rio Ave - Torreense, 1-1 (2-3 aet)
Estoril - Penafiel, 1-1 (2-1 aet)
Ribeira Brava - Sp. Covilhã, 0-0 (5-4 after pens)
Paços Ferreira - Nacional, 2-2 (4-5 after pens)
Desp. Aves - V. Guimarães, 0-0 (3-2 nas grandes penalidades)
Sporting - SC Braga (L), 2-0

SL Benfica, Sporting CP, Académica, Marítimo, Olhanense and Nacional are through.

FC Porto, SC Braga, Rio Ave, Paços de Ferreira and Vitória Guimarães are out.

Next week: Major CL matches for Porto and Benfica, and a Benfica - Sporting CP with a FC Porto- Braga as an extra, this is going to be great.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

it's good to see matigol is back :D

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Benfica - Sporting in 5 hours, Benfica's best CB Luisão might or might not be out, they've been saying he's injured all week but I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up on the field tonight.

This is the most confident I've been in a Lisboa derby in 3 years, but Sporting's defense is still crap, hopefully Capel can pull something out of his rear end.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 26, 2011

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is going to be the best weekend. Benfica - Sporting followed by Braga - Porto? Yes please.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Don't forget the Madrid derby at 7 pm, although Real will probably destroy Atlético, I think even Falcao is injured.

edit: Also, it's 1-1 in the Madeira derby between Marítimo and Nacional with 10 mins to go, fitting that it would be their biggest rivals that would end Marítimo's winning streak.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 26, 2011

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Javi!

poo poo defending there, Sporting needs to sort their defense ASAP.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
I forgot that Onyewu aka Gooch was on sporting, anyway I started watching at the 2nd half and like what I saw. Are the rest of the league like this or was it because it was a derby game?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Hah! Get back in the bin Sporting.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Well, I'm not as disappointed as I thought I would be if we lost. It was an even match and the fair result would have been a draw, which is more than I can say about the matches vs Benfica and Porto of the last few years. Benfica's only goal came from a set-piece, while Elias managed to waste two great chances in front of the keeper. I have to say, we really missed Rinaudo, Carriço and André Santos are two poo poo DMs, it's embarrassing how they were hyped only because they are Portuguese.

quote:

I forgot that Onyewu aka Gooch was on sporting, anyway I started watching at the 2nd half and like what I saw. Are the rest of the league like this or was it because it was a derby game?

Tomorrow there's a Porto vs Braga and they are two of the top teams of the league, so you can see for yourself; but matches between Porto, Benfica, Braga and Sporting are usually pretty great. I thought the match tonight was actually ruined a bit by the Cardozo red card, but red cards are the norm in these matches.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was a considerable fire in Benfica's stadium, fireman had to come in and put it out. Say what you will about clubisms, but setting part of a stadium on fire is just wrong.

http://desporto.sapo.pt/futebol/primeira_liga/artigo/2011/11/26/bombeiros_apagam_inc_ndio_na_luz.html

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
We didn't set the fir...wait, yes we did.

Jornada 11

Académica’s recent elimination of Porto in the Portuguese Cup had no effect on their league form, where they’re going on 5 matches without a win. Zhang scored the only goal of the match early on for Beira-Mar.

In the Madeira Derby, it was a match between two rivals that have been having very different seasons: the usually strong Nacional have been disappointing all season and are 12th, while Marítimo has been the league’s most pleasant surprise, staying close to the Big Three at the top of the table. None of that matters in a derby though, so even though Marítimo scored first by Baba (9 in 11, he’s the top scorer in the league) they soon saw Ruben Ferreira get a red card for a reckless tackle, and had to play 45 mins with 10 players. Nacional tied it up with a Candeias goal and went ahead in the 89th minute thanks to Mario Rondón; however, Nacional managed to screw it up and gave up a penalty in the final minute of the match, with Héldon making it 2-2. A good result for Marítimo, considering the circumstances.

The big match of the week was the Lisboa Derby, with eternal rivals Benfica and Sporting meeting in the Estádio da Luz. An even match for the first 45 minutes, with both teams getting close to the goal, but it was Benfica that got it with a Javi Garcia header from a corner. Benfica started better in the 2nd half, but a Cardozo red card left them with 10 men and having to defend the result against Sporting, who wasted numerous chances to score.

A match that might end up being essential to the maintenance in the top division of one of these teams, it was Feirense that got the win even while playing for 15 minutes with 10 men. Both goals came in the 1st half, by Diogo Rosado and Hélder Castro.

Gil Vicente are doing well, staying away from the bottom teams, while Cajuda will have to do better if Leiria wants to stay up. Hugo Vieira scored two for Gil, with Luís Leal getting the one for Leiria.

In this battle between the two top Northern teams, it was Porto that got the win to stay 1st in the league despite the recent results. Porto dominated the match with Hulk finally shining in the nº9 role, scoring two (one of them a beauty) and offering up the third for Kléber. However, the team fell asleep near the end and allowed Braga to attempt a comeback, Lima scoring the two goals that gave them hope. If the match had 10 more minutes in it, Braga might have stole 1 point.

Olhanense, despite meager resources, are doing great in the league, but could only get a draw against disappointing Paços who are bottom. A crap first half, the match came alive in the 2nd, with Michel scoring first for Paços and André Pinto making it 1-1.

The two Vitórias met up with Guimarães getting an easy win, their goals coming from Toscano (two) and Edgar, who has 8 in 10. After an horrible start to the season, Guimarães are recovering and are already 8th.

Highlights

Porto 3 - 2 Braga
Benfica 1 - 0 Sporting
Nacional 2 - 2 Marítimo

League Table

Porto and Benfica separated themselves from the pack.

News

The Benfica-Sporting controversy didn’t end with the match, with the Sporting vice-president accusing Benfica of mistreating Sporting fans by only allowing them in the stadium half an hour after the match had started and piling them in a space that couldn’t hold all of them. The Sporting president also announced he had a tape of Benfica’s president insulting Sporting officials near the dressing rooms, which he was sending to the League, causing Benfica to say they are “reviewing” their relationship with Sporting.
After the match, the Sporting fans still in the stadium started a fire on the stands that needed firemen to be put out.

I just noticed how the thread's tag has become eerily prescient.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 8, 2011

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Portuguese cup surprised yet again with Benfica being eliminated by Maritimo. Sporting is the only top 4 team left in the cup, although since it's Sporting we're talking about they're really likely to poo poo the bed against Maritimo or in the Semi-Finals. Hopefully Oliveirense reaches the final, i always love it when a lower league team reaches it.

Here's the quarter final matches:

Sporting vs Marítimo
Académica vs Desp. Aves
Moreirense vs Nacional
UD Oliveirense vs Olhanense

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Mans posted:

although since it's Sporting we're talking about they're really likely to poo poo the bed against Maritimo or in the Semi-Finals.

In the last 10 years Sporting won 3 Taças de Portugal, Benfica won 1. Marítimo will be hard as gently caress since they'd kill for a trophy, but win that match and I think it'll be smooth sailing from there (gently caress, hope this doesn't bite me in the rear end).

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Anyone watching Benfica - Rio Ave?

Nolito's goal was pretty impressive imo.

Edit: Nolito is so good :)

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 16, 2011

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aimar is pure class, Benfica managed to grab quite an impressive team this year.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Aimar is pure class, gotta admit I didn't expect him to take Portugal by storm after floundering in La Liga. Him and Luisão are cunts, but they're really good.

Baabs
Dec 21, 2011
I was wondering how Elias was doing for Sporting. I was always a fan of his since he was at Corinthians, too bad Atletico let him go

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Baabs posted:

I was wondering how Elias was doing for Sporting. I was always a fan of his since he was at Corinthians, too bad Atletico let him go

He's done well, immediately became a starter for Sporting and scored a goal in his first game. He controls the game fantastically and rarely misses a pass, so people were a bit surprised that Atlético had benched and then let go a player of this caliber. However, I've noticed he is one of those players that are easily affected mentally by what's going on around him, when he's confident he seems like a world beater but when he isn't he looks content with being invisible in matches. He hasn't done as well as Schaars and Rinaudo, but those two have been our best transfers; and I've been a little frustrated with him in the last matches (missed two certain goals vs Benfica, got a red card vs Académica), but really the whole team has suffered from a recent surge of injuries.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where are my Liga and Taça de Portugal updates, Maquina de feijões má :colbert:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Well there's the football break and I've been away from the computer, but now that I'm back I don't really think it necessary to continue with the weekly updates, not enough activity/interest in the thread.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Well there's the football break and I've been away from the computer, but now that I'm back I don't really think it necessary to continue with the weekly updates, not enough activity/interest in the thread.

Hopefully I'm not the only who really appreciates your effort!

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Reviving the thread with some transfer news: Danilo, a great young fullback from Santos has finally joined Porto (Santos had asked to have him another 6 months for a cut in the transfer fee) while Walter, their backup ST has joined Cruzeiro on a loan. That leaves Porto with only Kleber and Hulk as strikers, they need to get another on the market but everyone thought they would do so in the summer and they didn't, so...

Genoa's Ribas has joined Sporting on loan with an option to buy, he was needed since Bojinov has proven the flop everyone thought he would be and Wolfswinkel is dropping on form. Don't know much about him, he didn't really get a chance in Serie A so who knows; also joining is Xandão a big young CB from São Paulo on a loan, everyone says he's great but why then was he on the bench? We'll see, but we did need another CB. Also possibly joining Sporting is Dudu Cearense, an ok midfielder from Brazil; and PSV's Labyad, who seems like a great prospect but might only join in the summer while we need some creativity in the attack at the moment.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And in the Bwin Cup Benfica, Porto and Braga won their respective games while Sporting drew against Rio Ave, putting them in second place because Gil Vicente won theirs.

You can see all four groups here:

http://www.zerozero.pt/edicao.php?id_edicao=22949

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Sporting - Porto tonight, I can see us stealing the win honestly, we've been good at home lately.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Sporting - Porto tonight, I can see us stealing the win honestly, we've been good at home lately.

As a Benfica fan, I hope the pitch collapses and all the players suffer horrible deaths, alternatively, a tie.

Also this cover is amazing, as it goes places where Marvel never goes with their characters:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
That cover is fantastic. I love it when newspapers do ridiculous poo poo like that.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Electronico6 posted:

As a Benfica fan, I hope the pitch collapses and all the players suffer horrible deaths, alternatively, a tie.

Also this cover is amazing, as it goes places where Marvel never goes with their characters:

Am going to watch this game because of this, luckily for me it's going to be on espn3.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Porto's style of play is quite... butchy. Cross balls between Djalma and Hulk, hoping the latter will push through and get a square ball in front of the goal. I'd wager they'll manage to tire Sporting's pressing in the end, though.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
That cover is so bad it's good again.

Anyway, HT and Sporting are playing well though Porto can score at any time, I do love how Hulk has missed like 3 of his backheel passes and the commentators still jizz every time he touches the ball.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Welp, a draw in what was a very poor match. Benfica couldn't ask for a better result, so i can already guess that they will bottle it up tomorrow and fail to capitalize on this result. It happens every time.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Is Insua doing well at Sporting?

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
He's doing really well, a bit slow but has an amazing cross, better than a lot of midfielders around. He has been consistent too, even relegates Capel to the bench sometimes and goes up as as LW and does well there too. One of our better buys.

That turned out to be pretty crappy, both teams couldn't finish or hold the ball for poo poo. I like that we can play head to head with Porto now but I don't like potentially being behind Benfica by 8 points. Porto seemed to be pretty happy with the point, even wasting time at the end, the cunts.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I thought it was an alright match, both teams had one chance where they should've scored (the Sporting shot Pereira saved and James Rodriguez's shot that hit Otamendi), and a few chances where they could've scored. I was quite impressed by that five minute period in the first half where Sporting were totally bossing it, Porto were struggling so bad that they got a couple of yellow cards out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Benfica is taking the most out of that draw, winning 2-0 against Uniao de Leiria, first goal by Bruno Cesar and second by FM superstar Oscar Cardozo.

• Locked thread