Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Academica is a nice team, always giving gifts. A victory for Boavista and letting Estoril come back from 2-0 to a draw. Let's hope we stay up this year, it shouldn't be hard, one spot is already reserved for Boavista. Do only two teams get relegated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Electronico6 posted:

Italians are talking about meetings between the federation and Mancini for the national coach job.

:suicide:

And Fernando Santos has been confirmed as the new Portugal coach and I think he's the best option currently available, at least it's not Mancini or Vitor Pereira.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Sporting - Porto tonight.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

If Porto loses will Lopetegui get deported right away to Spain? I mean, worse start than Fonseca I think.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Sporting - Porto tonight.

Hopefully my Mexican sports channel will cover this. They got the contract for Primeira Liga games this year.... in SD.... Unless there is a "better" Liga MX game happening at the same time. It's easier to watch the Argentine league and the Eredivisie over here than the Portuguese League, get it loving sorted.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Seltzer posted:

Hopefully my Mexican sports channel will cover this. They got the contract for Primeira Liga games this year.... in SD.... Unless there is a "better" Liga MX game happening at the same time. It's easier to watch the Argentine league and the Eredivisie over here than the Portuguese League, get it loving sorted.

The Spanish sport channel that I have is going to show it so hopefully your will too since mines is the us version of TDN with Univision branding.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Hey, Sporting's winning.

(Also, something I just noticed: do every one of the Tres Grandes have the exact same shirt sponsors, right down to the location on the shirts? I know this isn't the only time this has happened--for a long time Celtic and Rangers had the same sponsors in order to avoid mass boycotts from one side of the Old Firm--but I just think it's another sign that these clubs really do rule over the league with an iron fist.)

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Troy Queef posted:

Hey, Sporting's winning.

(Also, something I just noticed: do every one of the Tres Grandes have the exact same shirt sponsors, right down to the location on the shirts? I know this isn't the only time this has happened--for a long time Celtic and Rangers had the same sponsors in order to avoid mass boycotts from one side of the Old Firm--but I just think it's another sign that these clubs really do rule over the league with an iron fist.)

It is the same sponsor, and for a few years it has been the same company sponsoring them. But it's not for reasons as the Celtic/Rangers, no one gives a gently caress about the sponsors here, it's just a big company in Portugal trying to get more exposition.

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

IF THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT GLORIOUS SALAZAR YOU MUST BE READING IT WRONG

Electronico6 posted:

If Porto loses will Lopetegui get deported right away to Spain? I mean, worse start than Fonseca I think.
I don't think he'll get sacked this season unless he manages to massively gently caress up but Porto hasn't been very good. We're not as boring as we were under Vítor Pereira but it feels like more of the same.
And for fucks sake if you're going to play with two defensive midfielders then play Quintero. Sure he's fat and lazy but he's creative and passes the ball better than anyone else we have. Rúben Neves is getting worse every match and Herrera is almost back to being what he was last season: a worthless liability.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Top notch defending.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Troy Queef posted:

Hey, Sporting's winning.

Yup. MEO, which is a cable/net/phone provider is owned by Portugal Telecom(PT) the telecommunications giant in Portugal and they been sponsoring every major Portuguese club since the 90's, with the occasional intervals. You can actually tell what shirts belong to what seasons by paying attention to PT's brand and expansion, or logo of the time.

But the Três Grandes don't rule the league. They always win it(with the rare exeption) but they don't own like how Real Madrid/Barcelona own La Liga. Olivedesportes who owns Sportv(think Skysports) and everyones Tv rights(except for Benfica) and pays misery euros for it rules the League and the Portuguese federation of Football with an iron fist. Olivedesportes is likely the reason why Seltzer despairs in trying to find games. Jorge Mendes too has more pull than the clubs.

However the situation of Portuguese football is pretty terrible, as in verging on the apocalypse. The League of Clubs, the body that organizes the football league, cup of portugal and league cup, is going through a complete meltdown, in a mixture of corruption, influence trading, and sheer incompetence. Sponsors have been dropping from football fixtures because it isn't worth it, low attendances in stadiums and at home. The major clubs are also completely incapable of coming together to fix the situation(or to even rig it in their favour), due to lots of bad blood between presidents and toxic administrations.

Also lol Sarr

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Electronico6 posted:

Yup. MEO, which is a cable/net/phone provider is owned by Portugal Telecom(PT) the telecommunications giant in Portugal and they been sponsoring every major Portuguese club since the 90's, with the occasional intervals. You can actually tell what shirts belong to what seasons by paying attention to PT's brand and expansion, or logo of the time.

But the Três Grandes don't rule the league. They always win it(with the rare exeption) but they don't own like how Real Madrid/Barcelona own La Liga. Olivedesportes who owns Sportv(think Skysports) and everyones Tv rights(except for Benfica) and pays misery euros for it rules the League and the Portuguese federation of Football with an iron fist. Olivedesportes is likely the reason why Seltzer despairs in trying to find games. Jorge Mendes too has more pull than the clubs.

However the situation of Portuguese football is pretty terrible, as in verging on the apocalypse. The League of Clubs, the body that organizes the football league, cup of portugal and league cup, is going through a complete meltdown, in a mixture of corruption, influence trading, and sheer incompetence. Sponsors have been dropping from football fixtures because it isn't worth it, low attendances in stadiums and at home. The major clubs are also completely incapable of coming together to fix the situation(or to even rig it in their favour), due to lots of bad blood between presidents and toxic administrations.

Also lol Sarr

I've known about PT/Meo sponsoring the Tres Grandes for years (and you're right about dating the shirt based on what PT wanted to promote), but I was also remarking at the fact that each team also has the same sleeve sponsors, the same back-of-shirt sponsor (Super Bock, a beer that they don't sell here and thus I don't know whether it's decent or piss-water) as well.

Also, if Portuguese football is in deep poo poo now based on what you said, it'll get even worse considering FIFA is phasing in a ban on third-party ownership.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Talisca owns

I'll be real sad when Benfica sells him at the end of the season to Chelsea or some other rich loser club for 80 million euros

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sporting is as bad at defending as good as Talisca is at bagging goals and Sporting de Braga at being disapointingly mediocre.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

So this Talisca guy is pretty good huh?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Benfica thought this was a charity match until the 75th minute hahahahaha

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Every time I watch a Benfica match there's always at least one Hagrid-looking beardo in the stands and I'm pretty sure it's not the same guy, must be a popular look in Lisbon.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think you're talking about Barbas (he's literally called O Barbas, yes), one of the most famous Benfica fanatics out there.

He has (had? Haven't been there in ages) a restaurant in Costa da Caparica beach that was pretty great and it was filled to the brim with Benfica memorabilia.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah maybe it's the same guy now that I think about it

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwGa7to9f_Y

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006

Heh, great reply.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Porto v Sporting for the Portuguese Cup in 5 mins. Lots of changes in both teams.

e: HT 1-2 for the big boys in Green, I'm glad Nani has come home......f*ck Porto!!!

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 18, 2014

orange sky
May 7, 2007

MAAAAMEM PORCOS

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
I thought it was supposed to be real hard to beat Porto in the Dragao but that was really easy?? haha what a lovely rear end team full of faggy spaniards, drat we owned them big time

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Benfica struggling like hell against Sporting da Covilhã, thankfully Jonas is kicking butt.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Porto smashing Arouca like it ain't no thing.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Arouca were playing pretty well before the goal, it was getting embarrassing.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After pulling a Porto, Sporting has turned a 3-0 advantage into a risky 3-2 8 minutes into the second half.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well Sporting managed to scrape a 4-2 win out of the match.

Now for the showstopper, Braga - Benfica :getin:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And Talisca got the goal one minute into the game

Watch the match with me you idiot lurkers

http://www.stream2u.me/watch/42372/1/Primeira-Liga-SC-Braga-vs-SL-Benfica.html

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Benfica's defense is a complete disaster

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Like Roland Emmerich disaster movie material

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

When jesus said he was going to treat braga like a champions league match you knew it was going to come out horribly wrong

Next time just say portuguese cup you moron

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Terrible defending. Credit to Braga, specially that double save right at the end, but really, our defending is costing us a ridiculous amounts of points, specially in Europe.

I don't want to talk about Benfica, have an amazing goal by Montero

http://videos.sapo.pt/u4My2mWkzjzU3KCQINN4

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Hmmm 3 points from 1st and 0 losses in the league, Sporting looking thick, solid, tight. Nani class today with another 2 assists, love it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Butter

http://gfycat.com/ClumsyVacantAsianwaterbuffalo

like loving butter

look at that poo poo

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Mans posted:

Butter

like loving butter

look at that poo poo

Braga always plays well against Benfica, bad against Sporting and awful against Porto. I'm glad.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Mans posted:

Butter

like loving butter

look at that poo poo

Where are all the fans?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There were 21k people there, it's just that Axa has a two layered stands and no stands behind the nets while the camera was pointing to the stand with the lowest number of people. The other one was pretty full.

It also only has capacity to some 30k so it's simply not a big stadium. It's a piece of architectonic art but small.

Watch the highlights to see the other stand and how virtually all of Braga's attacks were made because of defensive gently caress ups.

http://www.ojogo.pt/servicos/videosliga.aspx#/video?20862

And here's Porto demolishing Arouca 5-0

http://www.ojogo.pt/servicos/videosliga.aspx#/video?20802

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

• Locked thread