Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Peven Stan posted:

So I submitted a resume and a recruiter for the organization got in contact with me. After forwarding my resume to the hiring department's manager the response was that they were enthusiastic and would like to schedule a phone interview. I inform them I was free later that evening (they are in Seattle and I am in the midwest, so it would be in their late afternoon and the rest of the day wednesday as I do not have class then). They thank me and I never got a call back. Am I pretty much toast?

Almost the exact same thing happened to me twice. Both times they changed their minds and decided not to hire someone after all. Send them an e-mail saying you're still interested and here's your number but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Initio posted:

NACE did a study about this the other month (http://www.naceweb.org/Press/Releases/60_Percent_of_Paid_Interns_Got_Job_Offers.aspx?referal=pressroom&menuid=278)

Basically doing an unpaid internship just isn't worth the time. To summarize:
People who did paid internships got a job offer out of school about 60% of the time.
People who did unpaid internships only got that offer 37% of the time.
People who had no internship got an offer 36% of the time.
That's interesting. I wonder why the hell they went with the headline "60% of paid interns get job offers" rather than the far more interesting/alarming "unpaid internships are a complete waste of time, don't do it". To be honest, I've never even seen a paid internship listing. If it were paid it was listed as a regular job.

Even more interesting is that even with paid experience you're still only getting a job offer out of school 60% of the time. God that's pretty pathetic.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 4, 2012

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

From one English major to another, let me tell you, the most you can hope for at this stage in your life is $30k with benefits. That's the very most you can hope for.
This guy is right.

• Locked thread