Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
When I was moving out of my college apartment, I was giving away poo poo my old roommates left and never bothered to come get and some stuff of mine that I didn't want to move with me. In the free section, I put a 20" working TV, lots of still usable excess kitchen stuff I had, some shelves, and some other random usable things that I just didn't want to move or haul to Goodwill.

Mostly as a joke, I also listed the mini fridge I had that would burst into flames every time it was plugged in, just to see if anyone would bite. I believe the entirety of my ad was "Giving away a mini fridge, doesn't work, bursts into flames when plugged in. Trying to avoid a trip to the dump."

Only got a couple of responses for the decent usable stuff and several no shows. For the fridge however, I had dozens of responses and had it gone from my apartment within 24 hours of posting the ad :psyduck: I don't understand people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I'm still getting replies to a couple ads I posted the second week of May in the free section. Its now July. Would it be totally out of line to reply to these emails with "Look at the date the ad was posted. Look at today's date. Do you honestly think I still have it?"

I've also gotten quite a few sob stories from multiple different people about how their house burnt down and they lost everything. With the frequency of these emails there must be one house burning down a week in my little town, yet zero news stories. It seems like a scam but I don't know what their angle is.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

Free furniture and/or money?

I could see asking for stuff for free that was initially put up for sale, but these were replies to my stuff I was already giving away for free. None of them ever showed up to come get it even after being given an address and directions and agreeing on a time to meet up. :iiam:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

This is pretty intriguing. I wonder what sort of crap they're trying to get rid of that's bigger than a car.

• Locked thread