Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I can confirm that Eyespy is a creep.

I really wish I had the time, money and fellow players to get into this game right now. I was tempted by Lucius but I've been drifting toward The Dreamer as a master. I need to look at the books and figure out what's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

EVIR Gibson posted:

Eyespy, please put this awesome piece of work in the OP. It's pretty awesome bit-work

Quoting for top of page instead.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Woo, got my Onryo and necropunks in the mail. Seamus will be happy.

Still waiting on my Nephilim counts-as models though

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I've wanted to play this for a little bit, but keep having problems. My usual group's usual store is changing warehouses, and generally struggling to import certain Wyrd items. One of my potential opponents didn't receive the scultped bases he wants to put the minis on, and I bought the Lilith box set, but never managed to get Young Nephilim.
(The Terror Tot Nephilim can grow into Young Nephilim, which can in turn grow into Mature Nephilim by spending Blood tokens from defeated enemies or, if you field Lilith, soulstones. Lilith's starter box comes with three terror tots and one mature, but no Young ones.)

So, we've got armies in various states of incompleteness. Still, hopefully we'll be able to get a game in eventually.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Elfface posted:

I've wanted to play this for a little bit, but keep having problems. My usual group's usual store is changing warehouses, and generally struggling to import certain Wyrd items. One of my potential opponents didn't receive the scultped bases he wants to put the minis on, and I bought the Lilith box set, but never managed to get Young Nephilim.
(The Terror Tot Nephilim can grow into Young Nephilim, which can in turn grow into Mature Nephilim by spending Blood tokens from defeated enemies or, if you field Lilith, soulstones. Lilith's starter box comes with three terror tots and one mature, but no Young ones.)

So, we've got armies in various states of incompleteness. Still, hopefully we'll be able to get a game in eventually.

One thing that you did not consider is your Tots and Young can gain blood counters by killing any model, not just enemies.

One build I played against uses a bunch of tots, Nekima, and a Black Blood Shaman along with the sacrifices extra help of Desperate Mercenaries who die really easy and can heal flip when they die on Nek or Shaman after they use Blood Offering.

Also only play this if you hate money since Nek is really drat expensive.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 4, 2011

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

EVIR Gibson posted:

Also only play this if you hate money since Nek is really drat expensive.

...My Nekima should be arriving tomorrow :10bux::byewhore:

What do people use for transporting their stuff? As you don't usually need more than a dozen models you'd think it'd be easy to cart them around, but my Nephilim are of such varying sizes that it's hard to find any one thing to contain them all easily without being huge and bulky.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

FractionMan posted:

What do people use for transporting their stuff? As you don't usually need more than a dozen models you'd think it'd be easy to cart them around, but my Nephilim are of such varying sizes that it's hard to find any one thing to contain them all easily without being huge and bulky.

Make sure you have a look at the changes Wyrd made to Nekima on their forums. http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25470

For carrying my crews I use a KR Multicase cardboard briefcase-type box filled with their MX-1 Malifaux foam trays. It's certainly not small, but it fits my four crews along with their laminated stat cards, the rules manual, the third rulebook, some balsa wood walls, whiteboard markers for drawing deployment zones, and several tape measures.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

FractionMan posted:

What do people use for transporting their stuff?

My Nekima is still in the box. Poor Lillith and co are going to have to wait a while in the painting queue.

I got myself the Battlefoam Malifaux bag. If you can get past the price its excellent, especially if you really get into the game and start carrying multiple crews to places.

Binbag
May 10, 2007

Elfface posted:

I'd suggest going with what you've got !

The growing aspect of Lilith is excellent, but don't be fooled into thinking it's the be all and end all of her. She hits like a truck, the mature hits like a truck and the tots are pretty drat fast and fighty for a 3 stone model.

So her basic box gives you a perfectly usable core at small stone levels. It's all speedy enough to grab objectives and hard hitting enough to keep them. I found Malifaux to be a very simple game to grasp, rendered extremely complex by all the card interactions, so I can certainly see the merits in pretty much ignoring a mechanic such as growing and maturing tots, while you get the rest of the game down.

Also, don't forget some of the other crazily good stuff in the Faction as a whole that might slot in.

I'd punch a nun to be able to put a Doppleganger in my Arcanists or Ressers.

Sticky Beethoven
Dec 22, 2010

i'm good

Binbag posted:

I'd punch a nun to be able to put a Doppleganger in my Arcanists or Ressers.

In addition to being fanfuckingtastic units to field, Dopplegangers have the single creepiest model I'd ever seen at the ~30mm scale. Forums poster Wazzu has one painted up that just ...urgh.

On a related note, we need more pictures of people's crews.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Sticky Beethoven posted:

On a related note, we need more pictures of people's crews.

Okay! I have every Guild model... but very, very few painted. These are my favourites (the Executioner may be the best mini I've ever painted).

sansuki
May 17, 2003

They look great, but I bet that Lady Justice would look better with some highlights in her hair. They are friggin good looking, including the treasure trail on that Executioner.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The executioners chest hair is awesome, as weird as that sounds haha.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Malifaux: Treasure Trail Hunt Strategy in Book 4

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Well since we're showing off our crews, here's mine:

Rasputina

The Victorias

I have two rinin to finish, and then I'll probably do Collette :quagmire:

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

This is quite the coincidence I just played my first game of malifaux today with some of the people in my warhammer club. I got the cult of December box and Snow Storm.

Snow Storm is :black101: and the card based mechanic is soooo much better that dice.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo
I played a game today with my first experience with the Zorida Avatar

code:
Neverborn Crew - 35 - Scrap

Zoraida, the Hag -- 6 Pool
+ Zoraida, Avatar of Fate [2ss]

Doppelganger [8ss]
Gunsmith [7ss]
Gunsmith [7ss]
Mature Nephilim [10ss]
Opponent was playing
code:
Outcasts Crew - 35 - Scrap

Ophelia Lacroix -- 5 Pool
2 Young Lacroix [4ss]

Bayou Gremlin [2ss]
Francois Lacroix [5ss]
Pere Ravagé [5ss]
Pigapult [4ss]
Rami Lacroix [6ss]
Raphael Lacroix [6ss]
Slop Hauler [4ss]
Strategy was Recon for me, Slaughter for him.

He positioned his gremlins out of line of sight as much as they could. Their strategy was walk out, take a shot, and reckless to move back out of sight of Zorida and her Voodoo Doll. It was funny due to the fact that later in the game, it was like Zorida was the Sun and the gremlins were hiding from her in the shadows of the houses.

Did Doll up the Pere which I used it's self detonate to do five damage to it but the gremlin next to him actually got the defense roll off.

Sent my mature in but then I was taught that Dumb Luck triggers are NASTY, and he had lots of Ram cards. For a quick explanation, Dumb Luck doubles the amount of damage output of the weapon and does half to the person who triggered it. I thought I could withstand one shot but it turns out that is the Lacroix trait; they all get double damage!

The Neph did get some good swipes in and Zorida had stuff taking poison damage, thought I was all well and good with negating the Slaughter. This was not the case as he would load he Gremlins up on the Pigapault and launch them over on the next turn. If they survived, they would be able to get up close to the Obey army. If they failed the toss, they would splatter on impact but would not be counted as something I killed. :suicide:

At the end of the game, I killed 2 gremlins while he tossed about 5 over my way that died on impact.

I got Zorida's pre-reqs off and turned her into Avatar form on the third turn.

This was the first time I tried her Avatar and I found she loses her ability to move very fast but gains even more abilities to just control the cards. Look at a random 1 or 2 cards in a player's hand, let any unit (not just Zorida) use the top discard card for the flip, and draw 1/2/3 cards with her healing spell if she already has enough spells.

What was really awesome was her double obey trigger. If she gets double mask on the a non-resisted obey, she is able to obey the same target again. Fun times with the Voodoo Doll, crazy times with a Mature Neph charging/attacking twice per turn without activate.

The star of the show, was the Doppleganger. The more I play her/him/it/blobbert, the more I think of ways to break it. Get the Gunsmith's guns while absorbing the Voodoo Doll's 8 DF? Sure. Absorb Zorida Avatar Obey along with her awesome double trigger? Why not?!

The Doppleganger kept all the Gremlins back out of one quarter of the board because she kept taking the puppet's defense and Zorida's Obey.

The problem was that my Dopple finally fell and only a Gunsmith and a Zorida lived. The Wicked Doll is usually Insignificant, but it can drop that tag when within 3 inches of Zorida. The game was almost done and our local henchman said that Zorida could summon a Wicked Doll. He lent me his copy to let me use (it was a friendly match. He and my opponent wanted to see it happen).

Zorida was stuck in a river and couldn't use any General AP to get out, else she could not make the Doll. I had to try to estimate where the center line of the board was. You are not allowed to measure the board in the game, but you could eyeball it.

Summoned the Wicked Doll past what I thought was the line, but within 3 inches of Zorida (easy to do since you need to measure the 6 inches of the max range of the summon. Measure 3 inches out and toe the Doll in within influence of Zorida).

This is what it looked like.

Turns out, the halfway line of the board clipped through Zorida's right side. So no matter how HAPPY the wicked doll was, it was still a failure.

When the Torrential Rainstorm (the event for the encounter) finally let up, what was left was tons of smeared gremlins littering the countryside as far as the eye could see.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 6, 2011

Binbag
May 10, 2007
Just got done playing a game with my son.

He's had his Freikorps for a couple of weeks, and has been itching to have a game against the Neverborn. So I purloined my wifes Pandora crew for the afternoon.

He took the contents of the Von Schill starter, a very solid 25 stone crew.
I used Pandora, Baby Kade, Teddy and a Doppleganger.

Turns out, much as in Evir Gibson's battle report, the Doppleganger was very much the dogs bollocks. Mimic'd Pandora while she softened up the Freikorps with spells, then switched to support and mimic Teddy when the terrible, terrible biting began.

Pandora, it turns out, is a lot more fun to play with than to play against.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

I just assembled Nekima.

This is the most top heavy model I have ever put together. I really am glad I ordered a new case just for my Malifaux models now, because this seems like it'll break at random.

Hoping to finally get some paint on my crew over the next couple of weeks while I have time off work.

Sticky Beethoven
Dec 22, 2010

i'm good

FractionMan posted:

I just assembled Nekima.

This is the most top heavy model I have ever put together. I really am glad I ordered a new case just for my Malifaux models now, because this seems like it'll break at random.

Hoping to finally get some paint on my crew over the next couple of weeks while I have time off work.

How big is she? Larger than Lord Chompy?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Sticky Beethoven posted:

How big is she? Larger than Lord Chompy?

Normal Chompy, like twice the size almost. Nightmare Edition Chompy, no.

You can pretty much compare it to the size of the Mature Neph to the left.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Everyone is aware that Nekima got an errata recently? Check here.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

At least when Wyrd makes a top heavy model they make a giant pewter base for it so it stays on the table

ZOANTHROPES! :argh:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Eyespy posted:

Everyone is aware that Nekima got an errata recently? Check here.

Yes, made the Filth list less filthy :)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
Assembled a Marcus Crew and a Kaeris crew.

Eff the Razorspine Rattler and it's curvy bitch of a tail and how the hell do you attach the Raptor to the rocks?

Might be starting a podcast soonish. Any suggestions? We have a couple of ideas of what not to do from many other podcasts (bored broadcasters mainly)

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

EVIR Gibson posted:

Assembled a Marcus Crew and a Kaeris crew.

How are the hands on your Kaeris? The hands on mine are kind of deformed and will take some modelling to make right.

EVIR Gibson posted:

Might be starting a podcast soonish. Any suggestions? We have a couple of ideas of what not to do from many other podcasts (bored broadcasters mainly)

Is it going to be a Malifaux centric podcast? I'd like to see something newbie friendly (its very much a growing game) with maybe a short segment each weak on the ins and outs of a particular mechanic (triggers, place/replace, summon etc)

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Had the day off work so played a game today with a friend who was also off work this week. It raised a few questions.

When an action/spell grants +Tomes/Mask etc. but doesn't say when this ends, is it permanent, or only for the turn?

Drawing the black joker into your control hand; keep or discard?

My friend plays a Ramos crew, and constantly loses hard and it gets him down that he's yet to have one win. Is there a trick to using Ramos? He just seems much more limited than other masters and I felt bad that I was chewing through his guys without him putting the hurt on me.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

FractionMan posted:

Had the day off work so played a game today with a friend who was also off work this week. It raised a few questions.

When an action/spell grants +Tomes/Mask etc. but doesn't say when this ends, is it permanent, or only for the turn?

It depends on the wording, but generally effects end at the Start Closing Phase unless otherwise stated. Effects that last the whole game will always specify that.

FractionMan posted:

Personal preference and game turn play a part, but personally I'd prefer to keep it in my hand until turn 4 or so.

FractionMan posted:

My friend plays a Ramos crew, and constantly loses hard and it gets him down that he's yet to have one win. Is there a trick to using Ramos? He just seems much more limited than other masters and I felt bad that I was chewing through his guys without him putting the hurt on me.

Has he got a Mobile Toolkit? They really give a big boost to Ramos. Otherwise we'd need to see his model list. Also: What size encounters?

Binbag
May 10, 2007

FractionMan posted:

Typically, an effect will expire in the closing phase unless the card tells you it's permanent.

FractionMan posted:

Swings and round-a-bouts really. Depends on the crew I'm running and how the game is going.

FractionMan posted:

I think Ramos is pretty limited. Not many tricks but what he does, he does well. The Electrical Creation is quite a nasty little bugger, and spiders / swarms are surprisingly fighty, so running a toolkit and getting your summon on is a viable option, but there needs to be scrap counters to fuel this, so it's more a tactic of attrition than overwhelming. Practice of when to swarm together and when to scatter the individual arachnids is key.

I guess my only real suggestion without knowing too much would be to not be afraid to look beyond constructs. The contents of the Kaeris box could possibly give him an entire new string to his bow if he's currently really quite close to the standard Ramos box.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I feel that avatar ramos really helps his crew, allowing him to build a hell of a lot more spiders

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

FractionMan posted:

I'll go back to the first advice I heard when getting into this game: of the starting boxes, some crew don't work out of the box (Hamelin needs more rats, McMourning needs canine remains and 2 nurses don't workat 20 SS), but they're all pretty well balanced.....

Except for Ramos who is vastly underpower, largely because the steamborg executioner sucks. It may just be Ramos.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

We played 35SS yesterday, he had Ramos, toolkit, Hunter, Large arachnid, Soulstone miner, Johan and Hans if I remember correctly. Ramos made a couple of useless arachnids and shot a Terror tot with his lightning spell.

I think he's just come to the conclusion that Ramos is no good, especially against other friends who have crews who all work really well with killer masters.

Binbag
May 10, 2007
If he's running the toolkit, I think he really should be running Arachnid Swarms. Then he can bolster them as they take damage through the game, and the individual arachnids he summons become a chunk more useful.

If he's into fewer, larger constructs then maybe the Brass Arachnid...

That being said, Leveticus has a similar vibe but is loving nuts.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The only problem I've found with Malifaux so far, is that a decent number of Masters don't work well in 25 point starter box games. Ramos needs more steampunk arachnids, McMourning needs Canine Remains and possibly more Flesh Constructs, Nicodem needs lots of undead for Reanimator and Arise, Seamus needs more Rotten Belles, Kirai needs more of her spirits... Well, I think you get the point. I know in friendly games, as long as you have the books, there should be no problem with proxying, but it's still kind of annoying to like a master, pick up the master, and then realize you need another 10 or 20 miniatures to use him/her without proxying.

That being said, has anyone heard anything about Puppet Wars? It's Wyrd's spinoff boardgame/miniatures game.

Edit: I thought Lucius had 2 Guild Guard in his starter, he only has one. Removed line about his starter box being technically unplayable.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 10, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Randalor posted:

The only problem I've found with Malifaux so far, is that a decent number of Masters don't work well in 25 point starter box games. Ramos needs more steampunk arachnids, McMourning needs Canine Remains and possibly more Flesh Constructs, Nicodem needs lots of undead for Reanimator and Arise, Seamus needs more Rotten Belles, Kirai needs more of her spirits... Well, I think you get the point. I know in friendly games, as long as you have the books, there should be no problem with proxying, but it's still kind of annoying to like a master, pick up the master, and then realize you need another 10 or 20 miniatures to use him/her without proxying.

That being said, has anyone heard anything about Puppet Wars? It's Wyrd's spinoff boardgame/miniatures game.

Edit: I thought Lucius had 2 Guild Guard in his starter, he only has one. Removed line about his starter box being technically unplayable.

Though I am just glad making a crew so it works nicely only costs an additional 10 or 20 dollars unlike GW games.

Just to protect my opinion I know this does not hold true to Nicodem who needs a bunch of different types of undead to summon to be fun you can still play a good match without a wide selection.

I did not play a huge game last night (played a small 20 ss teaching match instead) but someone and myself made an interesting map.

He made a circle of ruined building with a two rows of trees going down the middle. I decided this was the perfect time to show our patriotic duty.

I present to you The Capitol of Malifaux

http://imgur.com/VZHf2

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 10, 2011

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I should have said "wants" instead of needs for alot of those. I was more refering to characters that, to get full use of their spells/abilites, needed more models than what was included in the box sets. And Nicodem runs into the problem of needing alot of mindless zombie models in some games.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Randalor posted:

I know in friendly games, as long as you have the books, there should be no problem with proxying, but it's still kind of annoying to like a master, pick up the master, and then realize you need another 10 or 20 miniatures to use him/her without proxying.

10 or 20 miniatures is just a touch hyperbolic. A blister pack or two gets most boxed sets up to a solid 35ss force.

You're still hard pressed to find another wargame that will let you play a standard sized game for the same cash outlay.

Binbag
May 10, 2007
I think the key word, is starter.

Some are a bit lovely, and a couple drop an excellent 25 stone crew in your lap.

On another note, two of my mates are dead keen to be shown some Malifaux. This is a good thing. But, and I don't know how to say this without sounding like a right prick, one of them is a bit slow on the uptake and has real trouble with stats and abilities and things. There's nothing the matter with him, he's just not that mentally agile and is extremely argumentative.

Any ideas about the best way to demo the game to him ? For a bit of history, I have known him for almost 20 years and we met when I worked in GW and was teaching him WFB. I almost got sacked that day it went so well. I think I have more patience these days, but I can honestly say he has not changed a bit over the years.

I don't even know where to start.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Binbag posted:

I think the key word, is starter.

Some are a bit lovely, and a couple drop an excellent 25 stone crew in your lap.

On another note, two of my mates are dead keen to be shown some Malifaux. This is a good thing. But, and I don't know how to say this without sounding like a right prick, one of them is a bit slow on the uptake and has real trouble with stats and abilities and things. There's nothing the matter with him, he's just not that mentally agile and is extremely argumentative.

Any ideas about the best way to demo the game to him ? For a bit of history, I have known him for almost 20 years and we met when I worked in GW and was teaching him WFB. I almost got sacked that day it went so well. I think I have more patience these days, but I can honestly say he has not changed a bit over the years.

I don't even know where to start.

If he already knows how wargaming works, the best way is to have a 20SS match with some easy crews like Perdita or Lady J; masters that don't have to be used in a certain way to be exploited.

Just make sure to let him know how card flipping works; how a strike is different from a spell, "cheat a card THEN soulstone", you can always cheat a card down for a trigger, and the basics that new people don't really get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Look what showed up in my inbox today:

Avatar Rasputina. Looks like I'll be putting this on my Christmas list.