Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

dexefiend posted:

I am digging them so far! This is Primed, Base Coated, and QuickShaded. I am going for speed on these, and 4 guys in two evening sessions is a pretty good pace for me.

After I have all my guys QuickShaded, I will Dullcote them in one batch. Then it is just highlights and touchups.

What do you guys think for 1 guy an hour (after priming, and airbrushing bases in large batches)?

wow. just wow. do you do commissions? I would be interested to get one model done by you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Showgirls Box, Mechanical Doves, Croyphee, and Ortega Box are heading my way :neckbeard:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Backno posted:

Showgirls Box, Mechanical Doves, Croyphee, and Ortega Box are heading my way :neckbeard:

You don't want to play Ortegas. They suck. They can't do anything useful ... Other than completely shrug off all the wonderful things Hamelin can do. Seriously, how the gently caress am I supposed to deal with them? They can also blow up all my rats, and shoot my Rat Catchers in the face.

Edit: :siren:Disease ridden pedophile alert:siren:

"YOUR BABIES ARE MINE!" :pedo:

I can't wait to hit these with Dullcote.

EVIR, I will do pre-quickshade/post-quickshade pictures for my next batch. I think you are crediting me with skill I do not really have.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 6, 2011

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

The Family really does own, I enjoy playing my Viktoria slingshot more but loving with card draws while filling you full of lead and ignoring/winning most willpower duels is immensely satisfying.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Can Leviticus fight the Family well? I know I am going to need a second master sooner or later. I am not really drawn to the Viktorias, Von Schill or the Gremlins.

Anyone have a good Leviticus shopping list?

How does this selection list look?

(from wyrd-games forums)

Leviticus
$61.50 [Yes, it's that important]
- Desolate and Souless Box Set ($45.00)
- Desolation Engine ($16.50)
$100
- Hollow Waifs ($14.00)
- Necropunks ($18.00)
$150 OPTION A
- Canine Remains ($14.00)
- One of the Riders ($30.00)
q- Bette Noir ($9.00) -OR- Killjoy ($14.00)
$150 OPTION B
- Canine Remains ($14.00)
- Rotten Belles ($18.00)
- Steampunk Arachnid Swarm ($8.00) [With Magnets!]
- Steampunk Arachnid Swarm ($8.00)
- A $9 character of your choice (Jack Daw, Joss, Bette Noir, etc)
$150 OPTION C
- Ashes and Dust ($45.00)
- Steampunk Abomination ($14.00) -OR- Canine Remains ($14.00)

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Dexefiend, I can sell you my desolate and souless boxset for 20 bucks if you want it. The models are assembled primed and some of them are painted, but it will be a pretty cheap way to start a second crew. I can post pics tonight if you are interested.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TarDolphinorShark posted:

Dexefiend, I can sell you my desolate and souless boxset for 20 bucks if you want it. The models are assembled primed and some of them are painted, but it will be a pretty cheap way to start a second crew. I can post pics tonight if you are interested.

Yeah, that sounds great! (the posting of the pics, that is.)

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

No problem I'll dig them out and take some pics after work.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Hmm, I was also planning on starting Levi as yet another crew.

Creepy old pervert train itt

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Here is the Levi boxed set I was talking about.

And just for fun here is my first attempt at painting some gremlins. I still have to finish up more stuff for these guys.

As with most minis these look better on the table than they do all blown up in a picture.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Creepy Possessed Pedophile:

I am going to have so much fun saying, "YOU KILLED TINY TIM!?! HAVE YOU NO SOUL?!?!" "POOR HAROLD NEVER HURT ANYONE!!" and "LOOKS LIKE JOEY ISN'T GETTING ANYTHING FOR CHRISTMAS, AND ITS YOUR FAULT!"

Ima fix Hamelins color and eyebrows, but I am loving the green glowing eyes.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

How did you do his skin dexefiend? That is a similar color I want for my Zoraida.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TarDolphinorShark posted:

How did you do his skin dexefiend? That is a similar color I want for my Zoraida.

That is P3 Thrall Flesh + Army Painter Quickshade (Bold).

Cock Goblin
Mar 25, 2008

gobblegobblegobblegobble
thats all i do around here

dexefiend posted:

I am digging them so far! This is Primed, Base Coated, and QuickShaded. I am going for speed on these, and 4 guys in two evening sessions is a pretty good pace for me.

After I have all my guys QuickShaded, I will Dullcote them in one batch. Then it is just highlights and touchups.

What do you guys think for 1 guy an hour (after priming, and airbrushing bases in large batches)?

Just wanted to quote this to say you did a really smash-up job on that Hamelin. I was a fan of the official paint job but I really really like the direction you took it by pushing the disease/grime theme farther. What did you use for the reddish/meat dog?

I've yet to paint my Hamelin crew and even assemble my own Rasputina crew. :negative: I gotta get on board with that soon.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Cock Goblin posted:

Just wanted to quote this to say you did a really smash-up job on that Hamelin. I was a fan of the official paint job but I really really like the direction you took it by pushing the disease/grime theme farther. What did you use for the reddish/meat dog?

I've yet to paint my Hamelin crew and even assemble my own Rasputina crew. :negative: I gotta get on board with that soon.

The blood/grime dog is grey primer covered haphazardly in GW Baal Red wash and Devlan Mud, followed by some streaked on Charadon Granite as dirt. I wanted him to look like he crawled out of the ground. Followed by the Armypainter Quickshade, and I did Dullcote them tonight. They look awesome.

The key to blood and gore is to get enough brown in there. Devlan Mud and Baal Red make a good mix. I was double dipping from one to the other, and doing it completely random.

What do you think of my planned pajama kid?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

dexefiend posted:

You don't want to play Ortegas. They suck. They can't do anything useful ... Other than completely shrug off all the wonderful things Hamelin can do. Seriously, how the gently caress am I supposed to deal with them? They can also blow up all my rats, and shoot my Rat Catchers in the face.

I am getting the Ortegas for 2 reasons. 1) They pair up well with the Guild stuff I have already (Lady J's box set + Executioner for $10 from a friend). 2) I am going to be getting Lilith and use those for teaching games.

I originally bought the Red Chapel Gang to face Lady J, but after getting the box I just did not like the miniatures from a painting stand point. And I thought what is the point of having miniatures for teaching games that are bare metal or just primed.

I just want my bases to get here so I can start painting dudes. The back log I am going to have once Christmas is over is going to be nuts.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone else coming from 40k and the following occurs:

Painting your models up, then you slap some badab black on them before smacking yourself because bright colours are OK in this game?

Too much grimdark, I've forgotten what pigment is like

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

MisterShine posted:

Anyone else coming from 40k and the following occurs:

Painting your models up, then you slap some badab black on them before smacking yourself because bright colours are OK in this game?

Too much grimdark, I've forgotten what pigment is like

As an Ork player in 40k and Skaven player from Fantasy just the thought of priming with white is blowing my mind. I had to go buy some brighter reds and still need to get some brighter blues.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
ive finally been persuasded to buy into Malifaux. My gaming group have a poo poo ton of minis for it and we had a couple of games last night that were great fun. Im not normally into non historical wargames but I really enjoy Malifaux.

About the only thing my mates dont own is Gremlins so I was thinking of buying the Born in the Bayou set, which by my reckoning is about 24 points. What else would be worth buying to bulk the force out a little?

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

In my humble opinion the slop hauler pack and the 4 pack of bayou gremlins is a nice addition to the born on the bayou box. More experienced goons can probably give you more input though.

Cock Goblin
Mar 25, 2008

gobblegobblegobblegobble
thats all i do around here

dexefiend posted:

The blood/grime dog is grey primer covered haphazardly in GW Baal Red wash and Devlan Mud, followed by some streaked on Charadon Granite as dirt. I wanted him to look like he crawled out of the ground. Followed by the Armypainter Quickshade, and I did Dullcote them tonight. They look awesome.

The key to blood and gore is to get enough brown in there. Devlan Mud and Baal Red make a good mix. I was double dipping from one to the other, and doing it completely random.

What do you think of my planned pajama kid?

I do like the Little Nemo look there, it's very cool. I'd consider maybe griming the feet but that's up to your discretion.

As for your Ortega troubles, who are you running in your Hamelin crew?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Cock Goblin posted:

I do like the Little Nemo look there, it's very cool. I'd consider maybe griming the feet but that's up to your discretion.

As for your Ortega troubles, who are you running in your Hamelin crew?

(I have yet to play the game.) I am just painting at the moment. I have just read a lot of whiny forums posts. According to them, the Ortegas are quite good against Hamelin.

My friends are all doing this Warmachine Journeyman thing at the moment, so I haven't had a chance to play.

Also, the pajama kid is only at the very start of painting. Just skin and a first attempt at pajamas.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Pictures for the January releases are up on the Wyrd Forum.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27328

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
CROSSPOST FROM PAINTING THREAD!

This guy is less than an hour or so of painting. He is from Malifaux, and is basically a child stolen by the Pied Piper. He has amazing rules, and I wanted him to look like he is in his pajamas.

Started with Grey Acrylic Urethane Primer from Vallejo, and then used my airbrush to base coat the base. Drew on the pajama stripes with my smallest brush, and took the first shots.

Then I used Army Painter Quickshade, but I don't ever dip the models. Dipping them applies too much product. I brush it on, and then control where I want a little extra (the feet, the hair, the armpits, the bottom of pants, the sewer).

All in all, I am very excited to see what he looks like when he dries! This Quick Shade stuff is basically Stain+Varnish, which leaves them very glossy. After hitting them with Dullcote they look amazing. The varnish part helps protect the primer and makes them a little tougher.

I basically use this stuff as a heavy duty devlan mud, and it treats me very well!

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest

Backno posted:

Pictures for the January releases are up on the Wyrd Forum.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27328

I have to say that the the models release for book 3 are pretty much exactly what the art would indicate.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Acidix posted:

I have to say that the the models release for book 3 are pretty much exactly what the art would indicate.

Any hints on what Hamelin's Avatar looks like?

Also, are there any other models Hamelin can use that create blight counters (other than rat bites)?

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest

dexefiend posted:

Any hints on what Hamelin's Avatar looks like?

Also, are there any other models Hamelin can use that create blight counters (other than rat bites)?

Hamelin suffers from the same problem that a lot of 2nd book masters suffer from in that he has a limited number of models to take with him. Aside from Lost Ones, Nix, Rats, and Rat Catchers there aren't a ton more models which are either great with him, or even are able to be taken by him.

As a result I can't think of any other models which can bring blight counters. Even still, hamelin + rats ought to be placing PLENTY of blight counters. A rat swarm does some pretty insane damage with the right tricks.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

dexefiend posted:

(I have yet to play the game.) I am just painting at the moment. I have just read a lot of whiny forums posts. According to them, the Ortegas are quite good against Hamelin.

My friends are all doing this Warmachine Journeyman thing at the moment, so I haven't had a chance to play.

Also, the pajama kid is only at the very start of painting. Just skin and a first attempt at pajamas.

Ortega's are good against Hamelin for the following reasons.

1) Most of them have a really high willpower or have stubborn which gives them +2 to WP when they defend in duels. All of Hamelin's crew targets WP.
2) Papa Loco has very low WP but will charge in (with help from Perdita's Obey) and get snuggly with your hordes of rats. He'll probably target rats that are not close to a rat catcher.
3) All the Ortega's can make an awesome firing line with lots of gunplay and area suppression or multiple attack triggers preventing rats from advancing if they so wish.
4) Never doubt the power of a full Family (which are all the Perdita's and whatever Abuela decides who should be part of the Family) companioned attack turn if any of your key models are not together.
5) Also most of the Ortega's have Shrug Off which means drop a counter or effect they have. Putting counters and effects on characters is pretty much Hamelin's thing.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
OH MY loving GOD, NOW THAT THE GOOP IS DRY I AM LIKE making GBS threads MY PANTS.

HE LOOKS loving AMAZING AARRGGGGH! ITS AMAZING WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUSH YOUR BOUNDARIES.

Ok, this is probably the best looking mini I have ever painted.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Hey Evir where in Falls Church do you play? Ever since they closed Game Parlor's Woodbridge location I'm trying to find a non GW store to play games.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
^^ Sent you a PM with the details. If we play this saturday, i'll let you know.

dexefiend posted:

OH MY loving GOD, NOW THAT THE GOOP IS DRY I AM LIKE making GBS threads MY PANTS.

HE LOOKS loving AMAZING AARRGGGGH! ITS AMAZING WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUSH YOUR BOUNDARIES.

Ok, this is probably the best looking mini I have ever painted.

Wow, you can really take that out of context when you say that about a picture of a small child. Even the part about the goop.

Are you going to bend the slingshot back up so it looks like one?

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 9, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
So to bump this thread and also to start some conversation, I thought a neat idea would be list tricks for a master and to tell people how to counter them.

Dreamer/Lord Chompy Bits

People love ragging on this guy as impossible to stop, but I've seen people deal with him okay.

Also to add some tricks for people who might be a tiny bit interested in playing him.

Tips

The first couple purchases for Dreamer are Daydreams and, in my opinion, Lelu and Lilitu.

The twins are so divine that any Neverborn master can only benefit from them. With dreamer, I usually run 2 Lelu's and 1 Lilitu. Protect the Lili as much as you can. If Lili kicks it, try to send the Lelu's back underground and bring them back up when they need to kill something.

There are lots of great nightmares figurines, but you shouldn't just focus on just them.

Hooded Rider is great at keeping up with the Nightmare horde and can change depending on the situation. At the start of the game, start in Night so he cannot be targeted by ranged and then Chase the Sun into Morning when close to make all the enemies slow when they get hit by his saber. Use Mounted Combat to weave in and out of combat and since all movement during Mounted is a push, no disengaging strikes.

I am considering trying out Dopple to act like a nightmare buffer. With Dreamer out, I can suck out I Can Fly to move where the nightmares are, Shadowy Form so I cannot be targetted when snuggled up against a nightmare, and Rapid Eye Movement to give Lelu's an extra attack.

Know how to do the Alpha Strike. It's hard to get your head around at the start, but when you understand it, you can jump on just about any figure out of place.
Read about it on Dreamer's page on Pull My Finger http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/The+Dreamer

Now an easy way to counter Dreamer is the following

Exorcist - This guy is scaring me since my Lili, Lelu, and Lord Chompy just go insane mode with their triggers. Neverborn are not know for ranged attacks, so this guy is a good response if you expect I'm playing Dreamer

Kill my Daydreams over all my other nightmares. These Daydreams is what makes my crew work. If you kill one, I have to poo poo out another one by paying 2 soulstones because I need them all to keep up with maintenance. Poison them to make easy work of them.

Speaking of poison, poison on the Dreamer is a headache. His spirit characteristic does not counter the pure wounds poison deals. After that, I will have to heavily consider if I want to bring back Dreamer to risk the poison. If Dreamer is in this position, I will be relying on my Daydreams more than ever which should make them even a higher priority.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Welp just took delivery of a Born in the Bayou (Ophelia) box set and already planning my next purchases (blister of slop haulers and young lacroix's)

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

My Gremlinette from the Black Friday sale arrived. I'll add it to the ~20 strong pile of gremlins I have to paint.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Well, it turns out the gazelle from Dark Ages I bought to use as a Young Nephilim is actually huge, so I spent the last little while ripping models from bases and swapping the wings around. Overall I think the Nephilim group looks pretty good and once I pick up another gazelle they'll be ready to hang out with Zorraida

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Crossposting from the painting thread, finished my guild:

Now on to paint the dreamer's crew!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
There's going to be a tournament around Northern Virginia and it's 25pt

I have decided to do this one mean combo I found on the boards and run with it. Then try to add some survivability and things to order around

Neverborn Crew - 25 - Scrap

Zoraida, the Hag -- 5 Pool

• Desperate Mercenary [2ss]
  • Desperate Mercenary [2ss]
  • Doppelganger [8ss]
  • Insidious Madness [4ss]
  • Insidious Madness [4ss]
  • Stitched Together [5ss]

So the big combo is to group up the Dopple, Zorida, and a Stitched with a Insidious Madness close by hopefully giving something you are targeting a neg flip on willpower in it's aura.

During Dopple's turn, copy both Zorida's 10 WP, and the Stitched's Gamble Your Life action.

It is imperative to get the Madness' Psycho Episode off and next to thing you want dead.

Dopple now has a 10 with a flip that can be cheated against a very average 5-7 on a higher costed model that gets a negative flip which causes it not to be able to cheat. So when Dopple does it's Gamble Your Life where it's a Wp -> Wp duel, it has a huge leg up on winning. Good for killing minions quickly, less so with Master, but I have killed a Lilith with one activation of a Stiched once.

Really, it does not matter if the Dopple is in the aura of the Madness, as long it pulls Zorida's 10 WP, it's all gravy.

It feels weird to have a Zorida crew without something big of mine smacking on their side several times with multiple obeys, but if I can get the Madness over there, their resists will plummet.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

You might get hurt by immune to influence models though, since all of your offense is going to be based on it really, or if your opponent focus fires on your stitched

Wazzu: I really like your crew. I feel every executioner should have a treasure trail

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MisterShine posted:

You might get hurt by immune to influence models though, since all of your offense is going to be based on it really, or if your opponent focus fires on your stitched

Wazzu: I really like your crew. I feel every executioner should have a treasure trail

Thanks, it's probably the best thing to do with all that belly. Simple scheme that I executed reasonably well and looks solid. The questions now is whether to make a dreamer crew that's purple, pink and blue (on grimdark basing); or some sensible colours.

Oh, and in regards to your first point: when hit by the insidious madness's attack, models lose any immunities to wp duels that they had; so he kind of has that covered.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Still, kill the stitched and the main firepower of the crew is gone. Against a crew like Dreamer who are great at picking off models its quite the achilles heel. But I am far more used to 35SS games, so maybe im overestimating how quickly they could be taken down?

As for Daydreams, I always felt they should be bright and colourful and chompy should be the grimdark one. Bonus if you make him the same colours as the Daydreams but drag and dark versions of them.