Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

torjus posted:

In the same vein, DeskSMS makes it possible to send and receive text messages through Google Chat/Talk, the DeskSMS website and a chrome extension. There's even a widget included to control which services you want to sync with.

It's quite fantastic.

And in the same vein again, GTalkSMS lets you control your phone over Google Talk. (And is completely free and open source!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Don't know if it's been mentioned here before but I just found this app: Touch Retouch Free

It lets you remove objects from photos just by selecting the area and tapping the remove button. It works extremely well on everything I've tested so far.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

MeinGott posted:

So since I got my widgetlocker with the Amazon appstore am I boned? I saw you guys mentioning the update but, like others, it crashes on start up. I'm assuming I just wait a few days? That's soo long :negative:

Seems that way, it is now listed as unavailable with no ETA:

Amazon's poo poo app store posted:

Currently unavailable
We don't know when or if this item will be available again.
this is totally a first world problem, but not having widgetlocker makes my smartphone seem dumber.

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*

beerinator posted:

Can you uninstall the Android Market? Do you think your regular apps should function properly if you did?

Yes, and yes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Removing the Amazon Appstore also removes your Amazon account. If you ever manage to remove your google account from the phone before uninstalling the associated apps, they stop working if they're paid apps.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

TheJoker138 posted:

He's getting the same problem with Go SMS. Does anyone in here know why his stock messaging is freezing every time he tries to use it, even after clearing data and cache? If not I'll pop over to the general Android thread. He's using stock, unrooted Droid 2.

How many messages does he have? I can't remember if clearing data/cache clears the messages. If you have too many it really slows down. If i remember right, the magic number is around 200 responses per thread.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

deong posted:

How many messages does he have? I can't remember if clearing data/cache clears the messages. If you have too many it really slows down. If i remember right, the magic number is around 200 responses per thread.

He cleared those too and it still didn't work. He ended up just doing a hard reset to factory settings and that fixed it but...seemed like overkill to me. But whatever.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
For the people that bought Widget Locket from Amazon and now can't upgrade, it looks like the developer may help you out.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/lqza8/teslacoil_is_awesome_a_story_of_excellent/

Here's a reply directly from the developer:

quote:

Glad you're happy frikazoyd :). Indeed there are issues with the Amazon DRM causing the "Amazon Appstore: unknown error" prompt. I'm working with them to resolve it but unfortunately we don't have an ETA. If anyone purchased from Amazon and wants the direct-license forward you receipt (or screenshot or whatever proof of purchase) to kevin@teslacoilsw.com . Note you do have to uninstall the Amazon version (and lose your WidgetLocker setup) to install the direct-purchase version.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What's the best djvu reader out there for Android? I will be using it on a Tablet if that matters.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

For the people that bought Widget Locket from Amazon and now can't upgrade, it looks like the developer may help you out.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/lqza8/teslacoil_is_awesome_a_story_of_excellent/

Here's a reply directly from the developer:

That's a classy dev right there. A far cry from what some other devs have done.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

That's a classy dev right there. A far cry from what some other devs have done.
How's that? Anddoes did eventually give a purchase credit to Amazon purchasers. I thought Bithack and Shifty Jelly did too.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
If they did I just didn't hear about it and was mistaken.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Google+ finally has Google Apps support, awesome right? Except the Android app didn't get the memo. So close.

dynodash
Jul 14, 2010
Is there a good app for digging into battery life with Gingerbread? The default graph thing that comes with it is very good, but it doesn't tell you anything about individual apps. I'm thinking of what Spare Parts used to do on Froyo and older. Is there a Gingerbread equivalent?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

900ftjesus posted:

Google+ finally has Google Apps support, awesome right? Except the Android app didn't get the memo. So close.

I've been soo confused about this. I would assume Google Apps people would get updates FIRST, since you know, they pay for the service. why does google leave Google Apps users behind on soo many of the new toys?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

dynodash posted:

Is there a good app for digging into battery life with Gingerbread? The default graph thing that comes with it is very good, but it doesn't tell you anything about individual apps. I'm thinking of what Spare Parts used to do on Froyo and older. Is there a Gingerbread equivalent?

Bettery Battery Stats does that.

You can get if from XDA, just Google the name and the thread should be the first result.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

Bettery Battery Stats does that.

You can get if from XDA, just Google the name and the thread should be the first result.
Or step up to the paid version, Buttery Bettery Battery Stats. :v: But no, he's right Better Battery Stats is the tool you need.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

deong posted:

I've been soo confused about this. I would assume Google Apps people would get updates FIRST, since you know, they pay for the service. why does google leave Google Apps users behind on soo many of the new toys?

Google Apps has paid customers, often times businesses, with an SLA. Google adds features when they're sure it isn't going to mess things up.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Edit: thought I was in the Sprint thread. Whoops.

brc64 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 28, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
What's the best "shopping list" and/or "note taking" app for Android?

I was using Upvise, but it's done nothing but crash on me since I switched to a Nexus S...so I'm looking for something else.

The only two Apps I can think of are Remember the Milk and Evernote...but I've never tried either. And I'd prefer one app that can do both...so I think only Evernote would fit that mold.

Suggestions?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

I was using Upvise, but it's done nothing but crash on me since I switched to a Nexus S...so I'm looking for something else.

The only two Apps I can think of are Remember the Milk and Evernote...but I've never tried either. And I'd prefer one app that can do both...so I think only Evernote would fit that mold.

Suggestions?

I really like Out of Milk. I use it for task managing and shopping. It's goon-made too and works perfectly on my Nexus S.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Ozmodiar posted:

Suggestions?

As an alternative to Evernote, I really like Springpad.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ozmodiar posted:

Suggestions?

My wife & I share "our groceries" Its free, you can share multiple lists in real time, the only downsides are if you share lists, all lists are shared, also, everything you add to any list joins the suggestion list.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How's that? Anddoes did eventually give a purchase credit to Amazon purchasers. I thought Bithack and Shifty Jelly did too.

Anddoes took a while though. He said it was Amazon's fault for not giving him access to their transaction records, but considering the WidgetLocker dev is accepting screenshots of receipt e-mails, Anddoes could have done something similar from day one. But I can't give him too much crap, he's worked with me when I've had questions and problems with Fancy Widgets and has always resolved my issues.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

scarymonkey posted:

As an alternative to Evernote, I really like Springpad.

You really want Springpad if you want everything. The best way to describe both of them is Evernote handles unstructured data better. If you put in a picture it will "OCR" the picture so you can do a text search on it. You can add files that will sync to other Evernote installations. The note taking part is much richer like you can embed an image into the middle of a note.

Springpad handles structured data much better. If you add a book it will link you to Amazon and it has some basic price checking abilities. Add a restaurant and you will see Yelp reviews and it will pull in the address from Yelp (I think). Springpad also handles lists better and has the ability to set reminders on notes and items.

I've gone back and forth and ultimately I am going to pick Evernote because it handles note taking better. I'm still trying to find a good to-do list program. I will second OurGroceries for sharing shopping lists with other people.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
I ditched Springpad for exactly that reason. At first it was nice, I was making OCD lists of my books with nice chunks of metadata because Springpad on Android also has a barcode scanner. But. First I discovered that not all of my books would pop up with neat chunks of metadata. So I had to manually enter info for a surprising number of them (if you can't find it on Amazon then it probably won't show up in Springpad). Then I realized that the magazines I wanted to save would also need manual entry and that was where the metadata would be the most useful for me, if it included anything useful like a table of contents that is.

The last straw came when I was trying to organize and compile my notes and lists from the web interface. Springpad is free (Evernote is free up to a 2GB upload limit a month) and attaches metadata to everything, metadata that is effectively advertisement and is often unnecessary when your note is just a reminder. In the end, Springpad was an overload of unnecessary information without a decent way of handling unstructured info like the above poster put it. I was using both for a while with the dim idea that I could have the best of both worlds and ended up ditching Springpad altogether in favor of the plainer but more functional Evernote.

I ended up with Gtasks for todos but you can emulate todo lists in Evernote by using check boxes. Evernote is searchable by unchecked box but I have no clue if the app itself supports that. As far as sharing goes Evernote is easy, although you may have to dedicate an entire notebook to sharing.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

"trandorian" posted:

Removing the Amazon Appstore also removes your Amazon account. If you ever manage to remove your google account from the phone before uninstalling the associated apps, they stop working if they're paid apps.

Only if the developer decided to use Market license verification. Not all do.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004
Mobile Mouse came out recently. It's a clone of the best iOS mouse, keyboard, app launcher, media remote etc. Free version is pretty basic, it's well worth the $3 for the Pro version.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobilemouse.full

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Anddoes took a while though. He said it was Amazon's fault for not giving him access to their transaction records, but considering the WidgetLocker dev is accepting screenshots of receipt e-mails, Anddoes could have done something similar from day one.
My biggest complaint with Anddoes is that he wasn't very forthcoming about the situation when it first went down. My understanding is that folks who actually purchased (not freebie) Fancy Widget Pro were handled on a case-by-case basis, but I didn't bother to pursue it and just switched to Beautiful Widgets instead.

I'm happy though that he did eventually clarify the situation, rather well actually. I'm still using Beautiful Widgets but was able to do a license transfer (or whatever) to the unlocked Fancy Widgets on my wife's phone and it runs rather well.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Do Out of Milk, Springpad, and Evernote all have desktop browser versions?

I used the desktop browser version of Upvise a lot.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ozmodiar posted:

Do Out of Milk, Springpad, and Evernote all have desktop browser versions?

I used the desktop browser version of Upvise a lot.

To use the Out of Milk website to sync down to your phone, you have to have a Pro account (which IIRC is $5?), but yes, it does.

In fact, I just put up the shopping list for today on there, and it's already on my phone for when I head out in an hour. :)

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Just putting it out there that Out of Milk is $$$, and awesome. I friggin' love that app.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

For anyone running the current Google+ 2.0 beta (leak?), if you're having issues with your contact list in any way causing android.process.acore to crash, it's likely Google+ causing it.

Ugh. Spent two days researching this specific crash, with most people's problem being sync settings or some sort of invalid data in their gmail contacts list (special characters, incomplete fields, etc.) If you're certain that your contacts list is proper yet still crashing when trying to sync, add/remove contacts, or view contacts, try uninstalling Google+ 2.0 and reverting back to the current Android Market version. Everything contacts-related works perfectly now.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Ozmodiar posted:

Suggestions?

I'm a KISS kind of guy when it comes to shopping list/note taking apps, so I ended up going with OI Notepad and OI Shopping List.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I just use google docs for any of that kind of thing, have separate docs for keeping track of debit/credit card use, shopping list, car maintenance, clockwork backups and what each one is and were it's stored etc. I have my wife as an authorized editor on some and she can edit from her desktop or android too.

Only downside for me is it's kinda slow from initial shortcut butan-press to when you actually get to reading something, but once it's open it will stay open in the background.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Emailed dude my Amazon receipt for Widgetlocker and not 30 minutes later he send me the app and tells me it should be working in the Appstore but just in case etc.

What a nice man.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

enojy posted:

For anyone running the current Google+ 2.0 beta (leak?), if you're having issues with your contact list in any way causing android.process.acore to crash, it's likely Google+ causing it.

Ugh. Spent two days researching this specific crash, with most people's problem being sync settings or some sort of invalid data in their gmail contacts list (special characters, incomplete fields, etc.) If you're certain that your contacts list is proper yet still crashing when trying to sync, add/remove contacts, or view contacts, try uninstalling Google+ 2.0 and reverting back to the current Android Market version. Everything contacts-related works perfectly now.

Two days? You should have asked about it here. I researched it a few days ago and figured it out pretty quickly. I barely use G+ as it is so I had no problem with reverting.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I ended up replacing Upvise with 2 apps:

Grocery iQ for my shopping list and Evernote for everything else.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

enojy posted:

Holy poo poo, you're amazing. I've been dealing with that bug for something like 2 weeks. I even tried a factory reset, but since all I knew was that HTC's People app was crashing, I didn't have a lot to go on. You just made me a little less insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Holy poo poo, you're amazing. I've been dealing with that bug for something like 2 weeks. I even tried a factory reset, but since all I knew was that HTC's People app was crashing, I didn't have a lot to go on. You just made me a little less insane.
Like Vykk said, if only you would've asked. I thought everyone knew the G+ leak was tied to the forthcoming People app and caused constant crashes when installed.

• Locked thread