Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

I just can't bring myself to install an app that had a history installing ad/malware on computers. I'm sure they've changed since then, but I don't trust the company.

I thought that too when I was first looking at weather apps years ago and after reading the reviews and the permissions I grabbed it. They quit doing that stuff a long time ago.

I've found weatherbug's forcasts to be much more accurate than other weather apps, just like NOAA's website seems to be more accurate than all the others (I always thought accuweather was the worst.)

And weatherbug's radar is excellent.

Glad you got beWeather working for you, though. It certainly looks super pretty.

edit: your username is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Just following up on this. I tried Acast and I really didn't like it, it was frustrating to try and navigate the menus. I had given Beyond Pod a try earlier and decided to try it again and so far, it's okay.

It doesn't seem to autoplay the next track though, but I think that's because I'm playing it down to up instead of up to down. Maybe I need to change the order of the podcasts or something.

Thanks for the suggestion of Acast though to whomever did. It just wasn't for me. I don't know if I'll buy Beyond Pod though. I wish Pocket Casts had a free lite version or something though.

I only suggested Acast because it's free. It's certainly not perfect but it did what I needed it to do for a while until I switched to BeyondPod. I think BeyondPod is really nice but it's so packed full of features that some things are really really unintuitive. From the feeds screen, if you long press on the number of downloaded episodes on the right side, it'll add all of the unread episodes to a playlist in the order they were downloaded and you can manually change the order if you want.

Dec 4, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

That's because while goons were making GBS threads their pants the dev pushed out a hot fix that corrected the licence issue.

There wasn't an update between it working and it not working.

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
Is there a music player widget that is compatible with go launcher? The preinstalled one cuts off on the bottom.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Canukian posted:

The main reason for my purchase was the radar screen. Does weather bug do that?

Yes. Weatherbug is pretty insane how feature-complete it is, everything from radar to humidity to pollen and hourly forcasts etc.

The only thing that I don't like about it, as someone else mentioned, is that it's not the prettiest app out there. The widget is kinda ugly and so is the app itself. I'm fairly sure all their data is pulled straight from NOAA, so if there was another app that had the same info and accuracy while looking better, I'd totally get it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AnimalChin posted:

I've found weatherbug's forcasts to be much more accurate than other weather apps, just like NOAA's website seems to be more accurate than all the others (I always thought accuweather was the worst.)

Tangential, but: http://www.forecastadvisor.com/

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Can someone give me/point me towards a list of features or pros and cons for different launchers?

I've been using Go Launcher for a little bit and it's been alright, but lately I've been hearing people talk about Nova more often. Looking at the app store, it doesn't seem like it does anything really different. I've also tried Launcher7, but I miss my widgets too much to use it, pretty as it may look.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

6174 posted:

There wasn't an update between it working and it not working.
Yes, there was. There have been updates each of the last three days.

Dec 4, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Yes, there was. There have been updates each of the last three days.

I see an update now, but I did not update the application between it working and it not working. And no, I do not have automating updating selected for it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I only suggested Acast because it's free. It's certainly not perfect but it did what I needed it to do for a while until I switched to BeyondPod. I think BeyondPod is really nice but it's so packed full of features that some things are really really unintuitive. From the feeds screen, if you long press on the number of downloaded episodes on the right side, it'll add all of the unread episodes to a playlist in the order they were downloaded and you can manually change the order if you want.

Thanks for the tip on that! I'll probably buy BeyondPod and just go with that.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks for the tip on that! I'll probably buy BeyondPod and just go with that.

Here are a couple of links they emailed me when I had questions about the app.

http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/help/FAQTipsTricks.htm

http://beyondpod.mobi/android/help/UIOverview.htm

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ok, wow that actually helps a bunch. Looks like I'll be buying this.

Thanks a lot for your help!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

6174 posted:

I see an update now, but I did not update the application between it working and it not working. And no, I do not have automating updating selected for it.
Well given that they're not posting changelogs we'll never know :tinfoil:

Canukian
Dec 13, 2005
I am a displaced Canadian
BeWeather works again...Thats nice.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I notice an app called 'Rom Toolbox Pro' that's on sale for 2.99.

It seems to combine the capabilities of Rom Manager and Titanium Pro.

Anyone try it before? Any good? Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What's the best app to record audio from your smartphone? For recording interviews and such.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's the best app to record audio from your smartphone? For recording interviews and such.

TapeMachine is great. Has a scrollable waveform for pinpoint positioning and the paid version has a bunch of nice tools.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

I've never tried it but I'll admit to being wary of it. I don't see how it could be better than the established specialized alternatives to it because when has a multitool ever been better for the proper tool? I can't imagine the file browser being better than EStrongs or that other one everyone likes for instance.

The thing is though some of the stuff sounds good. I wouldn't mind consolidating things that are simple like an ad blocker, a terminal, and SMS backups. I could imagine Titanium Backup being improved quite a bit in the UI department. That all sounds appealing.

I guess I'm saying I'm curious as well simply because I can see the appeal of not needing four or five specialized apps but at the same time what I've got works well so I have a tough time really wanting to jump in.

The fact that all the preview screens are in the worst godawful xda abortion font isn't exactly confidence inspiring with an app that would be so central to preserving my data.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lizard Combatant posted:

TapeMachine is great. Has a scrollable waveform for pinpoint positioning and the paid version has a bunch of nice tools.

Thanks, this looks like the most full-featured app and has good reviews. Plus $4 isn't really that much.

Bought :)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

Can someone give me/point me towards a list of features or pros and cons for different launchers?

I've been using Go Launcher for a little bit and it's been alright, but lately I've been hearing people talk about Nova more often. Looking at the app store, it doesn't seem like it does anything really different. I've also tried Launcher7, but I miss my widgets too much to use it, pretty as it may look.

Go Launcher works across all version of Android but is basically an improved version of the 2.3 launcher. It's written from scratch, but it has the functionality and feel of that.

Nova and Apex are forks of the current stock AOSP launcher, compatible only with 4.0 devices and up. On an ICS/JB phone it gives your the new combined app/widget draw and otherwise has the general feel of the ICS launcher.

Feature-wise they are all similar. Scrollable dock, swipe-up actions, gestures, resizable widgets, etc. On an ICS/JB device you should probably try one of those two since they fit a bit little with the whole "ICS experience" or whatever you want to call it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I got an Asus Transformer Pad (aka the TF3000) the other day and figured "Hey, I'll watch some Olympics on it!". Of course, the NBC Live Extra app was marked as incompatible in the Play Store. So I ripped the .apk from my Galaxy Nexus and installed it, which went fine. The app itself works great about as well as you'd expect an Air app to work, but whenever I load a video it plays at about half speed (which I guess is why it was incompatible). Anyone had a similar experience? Are there Pad users out there that it works for and, if so, what did you do?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mister Fister posted:

I've used it for a little over a year and I really like it. I paid full price for it and I'd buy it again, so I'd definitely recommend it at that sale price.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yay, BeWeather finally updated to fix the license issue.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
Is there a podcast app with real Google Reader integration, as opposed to a one-time import? One of the things I liked about Listen is that it pulls its list of podcasts directly from your "Listen Subscriptions" folder in Reader.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

Is there a podcast app with real Google Reader integration, as opposed to a one-time import? One of the things I liked about Listen is that it pulls its list of podcasts directly from your "Listen Subscriptions" folder in Reader.

There's GoodNews which is pretty awesome. It's my go-to Google Reader app and supports podcast download and playback.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

BeyondPod will do this, but you'll have to refresh your password every few weeks when the "cookie" (or whatever it gets from Google) expires.

All podcast apps on Android are terrible.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Is there an app or something that will clean up old files and folders that are left behind by uninstalled apps?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Taffer posted:

Yes. Weatherbug is pretty insane how feature-complete it is, everything from radar to humidity to pollen and hourly forcasts etc.

The only thing that I don't like about it, as someone else mentioned, is that it's not the prettiest app out there. The widget is kinda ugly and so is the app itself. I'm fairly sure all their data is pulled straight from NOAA, so if there was another app that had the same info and accuracy while looking better, I'd totally get it.

It's NOAA data supplemented by additional data from personal weather stations in your area. For instance, a local elementary school a few blocks from my house runs one; so I get better info on my area then the nearest official weather station which is at an airport a couple of miles away.

Also TBH I don't find the app particularly ugly nor the widget - I do use a plain black background on my homescreens so maybe the widget looks worse against pictures or something.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

the kawaiiest posted:

Is there an app or something that will clean up old files and folders that are left behind by uninstalled apps?

I've been wanting this forever too, Android's filesystem is enough of a mess that sometimes it's hard to tell what belongs/ed to what.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Splizwarf posted:

I've been wanting this forever too, Android's filesystem is enough of a mess that sometimes it's hard to tell what belongs/ed to what.
Yeah exactly. I can go in and delete stuff manually but I have no idea what's what. Seems odd that there is no app for that.

e: I should have said that the WeatherBug widget is a little meh, not that it's ugly. I'm just really anal about how my homescreen looks and BeWeather looks a lot better imo.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

the kawaiiest posted:

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah exactly. I can go in and delete stuff manually but I have no idea what's what. Seems odd that there is no app for that.

e: I should have said that the WeatherBug widget is a little meh, not that it's ugly. I'm just really anal about how my homescreen looks and BeWeather looks a lot better imo.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.thedarken.sdm&hl=en

SD Maid does just that.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Ooooh thank you!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Not sure if anyone else has tried the recently-linked Play Store version of Wallet on a stock AT&T S3 yet but while it'll install just fine, when booted it says "Not Supported: Unfortunately, Google Wallet is not yet available for your device or mobile network." twice and then closes itself. Why let me download it in the first place? :(

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 3, 2012

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'm not quite sure what thread to post this question in, but this seems like the most logical place. I've run into an odd problem recently with web browsers on my tablet (Asus TF300). No matter what browser I use, links don't change color when I visit them. At first I thought it was a problem with Chrome, so I tried the stock browser and Dolphin HD with the same results. The weird thing is that the history shows up correctly if I manually look at the list, but the links never change color on actual websites. Has anyone run into this problem before?

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

lelandjs posted:

There's GoodNews which is pretty awesome. It's my go-to Google Reader app and supports podcast download and playback.

This is amazing. It's simultaneously a replacement for Listen and Reader, is far better than both, and the full version is 3 bucks.

Never mind. With every single setting set to wifi only, this thing decided to stream a already-downloaded podcast over 3g instead, and then blew through another 80mb after I stopped listening doing who knows what. Thank goodness for Droidwall.

Soviet Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 4, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Not sure if anyone else has tried the recently-linked Play Store version of Wallet on a stock AT&T S3 yet but while it'll install just fine, when booted it says "Not Supported: Unfortunately, Google Wallet is not yet available for your device or mobile network." twice and then closes itself. Why let me download it in the first place? :(

Isn't this the thread where we bitch about incompatible device lockouts rather than letting us decide for ourselves?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I just got a notification that there's an update for Angry Birds (ad-free) on Amazon. I downloaded it but when I went to install instead of the usual note "This application will replace a currently installed application. All data will be preserved," I got a message that said "Warning: The previous installation must be uninstalled to install this application. Proceed?"

I selected cancel since I didn't have time to deal with it at the time. I'd like to think this is to correct the issue where both the Play Store and Amazon versions are the same and thus keep updating over top of each other even though the ad free version isn't on the Play Store but still I thought I'd ask to make sure it won't eliminate all my stars if I update.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I'd like to think this is to correct the issue where both the Play Store and Amazon versions are the same and thus keep updating over top of each other
Might be? I'll try to look into this a bit later to see if I can come up with a concrete answer.

LastInLine posted:

even though the ad free version isn't on the Play Store but still I thought I'd ask to make sure it won't eliminate all my stars if I update.
Be careful here, it almost assuredly will destroy your stars. I'm actually just about to run my next round of Amazon updates so I'll let you know what happens.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I use Notes on my iPhone all the time-- what's the defacto note taking app for Android tablets?

I know you guys probably get that question a lot, but I didn't see it in the OP, and I just got my first Android device (Nexus 7) this afternoon.

Also, I have about $22 from my purchase of the tablet left in my Google Play account (the only thing I've bought so far is BeWeather). Anything I should grab utility wise that costs money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I use Notes on my iPhone all the time-- what's the defacto note taking app for Android tablets?

I know you guys probably get that question a lot, but I didn't see it in the OP, and I just got my first Android device (Nexus 7) this afternoon.

Also, I have about $22 from my purchase of the tablet left in my Google Play account (the only thing I've bought so far is BeWeather). Anything I should grab utility wise that costs money?

Evernote?

Swiftkey is the best keyboard.

• Locked thread