Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Please make your cat monitor a public stream so we can all watch it chew through your cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Just wrap your cables in tin foil. It's cheap and works.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I have a IMAP email account set up in the Gmail app and it seems to work fine EXCEPT that I can't search. Anything I search for comes back with a "can't find that" message, even though I know the email is right there in the inbox. Any ideas what may cause this?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

XIII posted:

Please make your cat monitor a public stream so we can all watch it chew through your cables.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you train your cat to eat wireless instead?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Just put a little hot sauce on your cables. The cat won't go near them, and if you get hungry, a delicious cable is probably within arms reach.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

You could also get some cat toys so the cat has something else to take its boredom out on.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

eSporks posted:

You could also get some cat toys so the cat has something else to take its boredom out on.

The cables are the cat toys

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

eSporks posted:

you've never owned a cat, i take it

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Please change the word 'app' to the word 'cat' in the thread title please TIA

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

My phone went a little crazy in my pocket today and Swype downloaded like 30 language packs. Is there a way to delete them without completely uninstalling?

ArgaWarga fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 20, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is Pocket Cats still the go-to podcast app?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gyshall posted:

I'm a big fan with no complaints.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A lot of the time it refuses to do anything, no matter how much you prod it, though.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Gyshall posted:

I feel like I’m the thread’s designated BeyondPod advocate, so:

I like BeyondPod more.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

XIII posted:

I feel like I’m the thread’s designated BeyondPod advocate, so:

I like BeyondPod more.

Don't you mean BeyondPawed?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
beyondpod does all I want pretty well, but my needs are really simple:
- having a limit for each feed
- update all feeds, downloading new stuff and erasing old stuff beyond said limit (unless it's on your current playlist, which is neat)

and I only have like 3 feeds so I'm not sure about managing huge libraries, but those things it does pretty well, no crashes, pretty smooth app

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Lol I got it if nobody else did

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Lol I got it if nobody else did

See my prev post, you're not alone brother stickyfngrdboy.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

TraderStav posted:

See my prev post, you're not alone brother stickyfngrdboy.

Apologies, friend, my mistake.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Endless Mike beat you both in the joke department :mad:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Oh, ooooohhh

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there an app that will let me move (root) files from one Android device to another if they're on the same wifi?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

ES File explorer allow you to connect to a number of network folders like SSH and Windows normal sharing functionality, but I'm not sure going straight to another android.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I asked a friend and they showed me Super Beam; works well. I wish my tablet wasn't rear end so I could just use Android Beam.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If it's only a file here and there Pushbullet does it well.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
What is something I can use to play .avi movies? I have some form videos for weight lifting that I'd like to be able to watch on my phone, but the bundled programs for video don't open any of them. I can get it to play in Dropbox if I stream it, but I'd rather not have to use data if there's a decent video player available.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Aranan posted:

What is something I can use to play .avi movies? I have some form videos for weight lifting that I'd like to be able to watch on my phone, but the bundled programs for video don't open any of them. I can get it to play in Dropbox if I stream it, but I'd rather not have to use data if there's a decent video player available.

mx player

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Has anyone had any problems with WidgetLocker lately? I switched to an S6 recently and two or three times a day the phone automatically reverts to a 2-second timeout on the screen. I read that it may be an app causing it, so I opened WidgetLocker and saw lo and behold it has a screen timeout option. Except that every single time I try to access that option, it crashes. After a restart, with nothing else running, whatever. So if it IS WidgetLocker doing it, I can't get to the options to tell it to knock it off.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
What app do you guys use to track packages? I used to use Parcels, but I guess that's stopped working. I'm slumming it with the UPS app right now, but it would be cool to be able to track more than one carrier.

Edit: that looks perfect, thanks!
vvv

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 22, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I use AfterShip. It supports everything.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Mogomra posted:

What app do you guys use to track packages? I used to use Parcels, but I guess that's stopped working. I'm slumming it with the UPS app right now, but it would be cool to be able to track more than one carrier.
Google Now works well for this, if you use a Gmail account.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

nmfree posted:

Google Now works well for this, if you use a Gmail account.

I think you mean

Google Now works sometimes for this, if you use a Gmail account.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Tracking packages is the only thing that's consistently working on Google Now for me. Everything else seems to be completely random, but my packages are all there.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Has anyone had any problems with WidgetLocker lately? I switched to an S6 recently and two or three times a day the phone automatically reverts to a 2-second timeout on the screen. I read that it may be an app causing it, so I opened WidgetLocker and saw lo and behold it has a screen timeout option. Except that every single time I try to access that option, it crashes. After a restart, with nothing else running, whatever. So if it IS WidgetLocker doing it, I can't get to the options to tell it to knock it off.
You might have to stop using WidgetLocker. It hasn't had an update in almost 18 months, which was before Lollipop and before 64-bit phones were available.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

datajosh posted:

You might have to stop using WidgetLocker. It hasn't had an update in almost 18 months, which was before Lollipop and before 64-bit phones were available.

Teslacoil dude did an AMA on Reddit a few days ago and had this to say about WL:

Kevin from TeslaCoil posted:

I've been having trouble figuring out what direction I want to take WidgetLocker. There is obviously a lot of potential with customizing the lockscreen, but there are also tons of limitations (security is a big one, everyone lockscreen currently on the market either doesn't include security or it serves only as a casual child lock). WidgetLocker was originally designed with the 2.x apis in mind, and the way people used lockscreens back then.

Nova Launcher 4.0 is pretty close to what I would do if I were starting the project from scratch with everything I know today. WidgetLocker is not, and getting it there requires a lot more feature cutting or feature restructuring and I don't know how users would react to that. Lots of users would enjoy a huge refresh, but as I found with Nova 4.0, even when keeping virtually all features intact, change can be painful.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Teslacoil dude did an AMA on Reddit a few days ago and had this to say about WL:

Those are a bunch of words to say "I'm not updating it"

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Those are a bunch of words to say "I'm not updating it"

Pretty much, and I don't blame him. Locking your phone isn't really something you should trust third party apps with no low-level access to do.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Pretty much, and I don't blame him. Locking your phone isn't really something you should trust third party apps with no low-level access to do.

Widget locker has basically never worked properly with the galaxy line which is a huge chunk of the Android market, and it was free. Makes sense to invest resources into the app that can generate revenues and have a wider audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
So I uploaded a couple .pdf files from my PC to Google Books hoping to read them on my phone but I don't see a way to resize the pages and the default view has the text way too small to read. I'd have to zoom in then scroll right then left and down for the next line which would suck. Any way to fix a .pdf for better viewing on a phone or should I just shell out the money to buy the Kindle versions of the books?

• Locked thread