Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What you have to remember is that Google is a huge blob of many smaller blobs. The Hangouts team has nothing to do with the Android team and which app they write or finish first could come down to a lot of different reasons. The Hangouts team have no particular affiliation to Android and don't care what platform people are using it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

program666 posted:

I was wondering if there is any video service that allow for caching videos for offline usage, better yet if it's automatic. I'm guessing Netflix or any service that provides normal TV stuff won't have something like that so next up would be Youtube and it seems that they had this at some point but then they removed it, but maybe there is a 3rd party app that does that. Also I would be willing to use something like Vessel if they have this feature on an android app.

Edit: I know I can use youtube-dl and just watch the video files but something that would do this more or less automatically like podcasts would be better.

I think amazon prime video has this ability.

E: oh. I'm in the Android app thread.
Not sure if you can do it in the Android app. You can do it on PC v:shobon:v

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone else having issues with Pocketcasts widget not working after most recent update? Its intermittently not showing the podcast that's playing with controls. Not a huge deal, I can drag down the notification screen to pause, but it is annoying.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

regulargonzalez posted:

I think amazon prime video has this ability.

E: oh. I'm in the Android app thread.
Not sure if you can do it in the Android app. You can do it on PC v:shobon:v

Thanks but amazon won't let me watch stuff like adventure time here in Brazil, so I suspect many series would have that problem. Netflix has similar problems but you can work around them using a chrome extention, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure I can do the same on android. I guess I better forget about normal TV, I'll probably be checking that music key thing.

Sinroth
May 19, 2010
Made a video for my app if any is interested in watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHsA8_uaFPw

Any feedback on the app would be greatly appreciated.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
It seems cool but I have the feeling Something Awful is not the right audience for it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to get a better lock screen widget for Play Music? The default one is tiny and the next track thing is too close to the edge of the screen. I would love to stick with Poweramp which had a great lock widget but it can't seem to find my downloaded music from Play Music anywhere.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sinroth posted:

I'll be honest, just seeing the colors and fonts of the preview image of the video would be enough that I'd not further investigate the app.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

LastInLine posted:

I'll be honest, just seeing the colors and fonts of the preview image of the video would be enough that I'd not further investigate the app.

:agreed:

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

LastInLine posted:

100% skipped the video as well because of that as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sinroth posted:

This is a joke right?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I received a $25 credit for the Amazon App store. Does anyone know how this works? It says "we placed a $25 Amazon Appstore credit onto your account; valid toward apps, games and in-app items (excluding subscriptions)."

How does this work and where am I supposed to redeem this?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When you buy an app, your credit is used at checkout. I can't remember if it actually tells you until you go through the whole process.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sinroth posted:

This is amazing. Putting this up on my Android App blog.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Skeezy posted:

This is amazing. Putting this up on my Android App blog.

Grimble alt account found.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Grimble alt account found.

Grimbo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Grimbr

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Felt wrong when I was typing it :(

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Sinroth posted:

I didn't know MSPaint outputs videos now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I guess what people are saying is it wouldn't hurt to get a designer in on this! Get it looking slick and you'll probably see more interest. Put some cheevos in there to start a sexual revolution

Sinroth
May 19, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

This is a joke right?

:classiclol:

After quitting EVE I decided to find something productive to do, so learnt some programming basics, Java and Android development and decided to make an app all by myself (although fiancee helped with finer details in Java). Just wanted to see if anyone is getting crashes or display issues. Obviously I'm aware it's not really SA's target audience.

As for the video, it's something I spent 2 hours doing in Microsoft Movie maker, guess I need to read up a bit on video editing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sinroth posted:

After quitting EVE I decided to find something productive to do, so learnt some programming basics, Java and Android development and decided to make an app all by myself (although fiancee helped with finer details in Java). Just wanted to see if anyone is getting crashes or display issues. Obviously I'm aware it's not really SA's target audience.

As for the video, it's something I spent 2 hours doing in Microsoft Movie maker, guess I need to read up a bit on video editing.

I saw the screenshots from the Play Store page earlier in the thread. It looked fine, if a bit generic. When I'm not mobile I'll be happy to do a bit more criticizing.

The video on the other hand is a problem. What I'm saying (and what I believe others are saying too) is that it only took seeing the preview image in the video player for me to completely write off your app. I have no idea how well it's edited because it's a dealbreaker before I get to that point. If that's the best you can do you're better off without it.

When I get some time I'll install your app and give you some thoughts.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I don't need a card flippy app to tell me to Suck/Butt I just get right in there and Stroke/Foot whenever the opportunity presents itself like when she is busy playing Angry Birds

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sinroth posted:

Okay a few thoughts upon using the app:

I adblock but I'm guessing the ad falls on top of the action bar. This is just not where it should go, it should be below the action bar at the very least (but I'd recommend the bottom of the screeen).

It's unclear that the three screens, Play, Enjoy, and Challenge are panes you swipe to. When I tried the Challenge pane I got the IAP screen and hitting Back unexpectedly exited the app. I feel like it should be one screen with three modes.

My biggest issue is the non-standard menu and usage patterns. It looks and feels vaguely iOS and the sidebar is odd to me. The three settings should be toggles, the hamburger icon should look like it does in other Material apps, and the IAP items are weird as they all lead to the same place. I tend not to trust apps that look and feel non-standard. I would retool the UI to use a Material look in sidebar or get rid of it altogether as you really only have Settings (About Us & Terms of Use should be at the bottom inside a standard Settings pane) and the Store. The Store should not be a popup but rather a separate screen. I might consider putting both on the action bar (with a gear and a shopping bag as the icons) and have the ad immediately below that and get rid of the hamburger. To switch modes, I'd probably use buttons. I'd keep the background but use a transparent statusbar.

The timer is a strange option but I see the idea. I think I got the timer alarm to sound despite having re-rolled and theoretically reset the timer so you may want to look into that. I might change the alarm sound to be something sexier instead of a bell. What if the user really gets into an activity? Let's not have the sound interrupt that.

Lastly, if you got rid of the panes it gives you right and left gestures for something which I'd try to incorporate into the actual use somehow. Maybe make it trigger the roll? I don't know. I think users would prefer a swiping action to a button press but it also might be too easy to trigger. I'd think about it.

One suggestion for a feature: Have the user register their partner and have the ability to send it to them from within the app. Might be too much overhead but it would give partners a way to send ideas to each other when they aren't right near each other.

In the end it's a simple app with a simple premise but I feel like it needs a bit of rethinking in the UI.

Sinroth
May 19, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Okay a few thoughts upon using the app:

I adblock but I'm guessing the ad falls on top of the action bar. This is just not where it should go, it should be below the action bar at the very least (but I'd recommend the bottom of the screeen).

It's unclear that the three screens, Play, Enjoy, and Challenge are panes you swipe to. When I tried the Challenge pane I got the IAP screen and hitting Back unexpectedly exited the app. I feel like it should be one screen with three modes.

My biggest issue is the non-standard menu and usage patterns. It looks and feels vaguely iOS and the sidebar is odd to me. The three settings should be toggles, the hamburger icon should look like it does in other Material apps, and the IAP items are weird as they all lead to the same place. I tend not to trust apps that look and feel non-standard. I would retool the UI to use a Material look in sidebar or get rid of it altogether as you really only have Settings (About Us & Terms of Use should be at the bottom inside a standard Settings pane) and the Store. The Store should not be a popup but rather a separate screen. I might consider putting both on the action bar (with a gear and a shopping bag as the icons) and have the ad immediately below that and get rid of the hamburger. To switch modes, I'd probably use buttons. I'd keep the background but use a transparent statusbar.

The timer is a strange option but I see the idea. I think I got the timer alarm to sound despite having re-rolled and theoretically reset the timer so you may want to look into that. I might change the alarm sound to be something sexier instead of a bell. What if the user really gets into an activity? Let's not have the sound interrupt that.

Lastly, if you got rid of the panes it gives you right and left gestures for something which I'd try to incorporate into the actual use somehow. Maybe make it trigger the roll? I don't know. I think users would prefer a swiping action to a button press but it also might be too easy to trigger. I'd think about it.

One suggestion for a feature: Have the user register their partner and have the ability to send it to them from within the app. Might be too much overhead but it would give partners a way to send ideas to each other when they aren't right near each other.

In the end it's a simple app with a simple premise but I feel like it needs a bit of rethinking in the UI.

wow, thanks a lot for that, some really great ideas.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Dumb question: Is there a way to move pictures between albums in the Google Photos app? I've been using ES File Explorer and it's a bit tedious but there I've been digging around in the photos and I can't seem to find anything (unless it's hidden for some reason).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Dumb question: Is there a way to move pictures between albums in the Google Photos app? I've been using ES File Explorer and it's a bit tedious but there I've been digging around in the photos and I can't seem to find anything (unless it's hidden for some reason).
Long-press the file(s) you want to add (once you've long pressed one you can just tap the others, or you can long-press-and-drag to select a contiguous group) and then tap on the "+" button.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

When I send a photo from my phone in Hangouts, the recipient invariably says it's an overly compressed blurry mess, with any text being illegible. I've sent from two different phones so it's not phone specific. I've looked at Hangouts settings but I don't see anything about image settings.

Anyone run into this or have ideas how to get decent quality pics sent through Hangouts?

e: That said, if I open up Hangouts on my PC and look at the image that I had sent from my phone, it looks fine.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been having this other fun issue with Hangouts - I mean it just happened, I just got off the call - where I can watch phone calls come in on my computer and ring and ring and ring and inches away I can see my phone remain silent and dark as a tomb. On other occasions I have let things play out and my phone will ring once and end before anybody could possibly answer it. This time I answered on my Surface and I have to say it worked perfectly, excellent quality.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

regulargonzalez posted:

When I send a photo from my phone in Hangouts, the recipient invariably says it's an overly compressed blurry mess, with any text being illegible. I've sent from two different phones so it's not phone specific. I've looked at Hangouts settings but I don't see anything about image settings.

Anyone run into this or have ideas how to get decent quality pics sent through Hangouts?

e: That said, if I open up Hangouts on my PC and look at the image that I had sent from my phone, it looks fine.

I think with slow internet they basically get a thumbnail first (which shows up in hangouts), and if they open it full-size before all the data arrives they see a blown-up thumbnail

You're probably looking at it after they've complained, and the full image has hit the google servers. If they refresh they should see the real pic

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I don't need a card flippy app to tell me to Suck/Butt I just get right in there and Stroke/Foot whenever the opportunity presents itself like when she is busy playing Angry Birds

It's some guy's first app they've ever made. Give them a break.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

baka kaba posted:

I think with slow internet they basically get a thumbnail first (which shows up in hangouts), and if they open it full-size before all the data arrives they see a blown-up thumbnail

You're probably looking at it after they've complained, and the full image has hit the google servers. If they refresh they should see the real pic

It's this. Assuming you're talking about actually hangouts and not MMS/SMS through hangouts.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm looking for an app like Screen Standby that turns off the phone screen while mirrored on a tv, only without the crappiness of Screen Standby. Anyone know of one?

edit: rooted, if it matters

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

What weather app does everyone use? I've been using Weather Timeline, but don't like how it does the radar, which I've never been able to find an implementation that I like.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Athenry posted:

What weather app does everyone use? I've been using Weather Timeline, but don't like how it does the radar, which I've never been able to find an implementation that I like.

I used to use Weather Underground but they hosed up their ad code so that I'm seeing a huge ad across the top of everything despite having paid for a yearly ad-free sub ($1.99/year, so it isn't really a heartbreaker) so I just visit the mobile :nws:.gov site.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Athenry posted:

I use Arcus because the thing I care about most is "Will it rain in the next x minutes while I leave the top down on the car" but I don't even think it has radar. Since I'm married to the Forecast.io API the only other app I've tried and liked is Simple Weather and I don't know that it has radar either.

Back before Forecast.io was a thing, I used BeWeather which hasn't been touched in two years but still can apparently tell you the weather. It had a pretty nice radar implementation if I remember correctly.

Another I would likely look at is the one made by the Beautiful Widgets (and Plume) guy, Bright Weather. No idea what its featureset is like but I like the developer.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

FAUXTON posted:

I used to use Weather Underground but they hosed up their ad code so that I'm seeing a huge ad across the top of everything despite having paid for a yearly ad-free sub ($1.99/year, so it isn't really a heartbreaker) so I just visit the mobile :nws:.gov site.

Contact them from the link in their app. The same thing happened to me and they fixed it quick after sending a screenshot of my Google Play receipt.

The mobile NWS site works pretty well, too. I wish Dept of Commerce would let them do an app, but at least they have a working mobile site.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

LastInLine posted:

I use Arcus because the thing I care about most is "Will it rain in the next x minutes while I leave the top down on the car" but I don't even think it has radar. Since I'm married to the Forecast.io API the only other app I've tried and liked is Simple Weather and I don't know that it has radar either.

Back before Forecast.io was a thing, I used BeWeather which hasn't been touched in two years but still can apparently tell you the weather. It had a pretty nice radar implementation if I remember correctly.

Another I would likely look at is the one made by the Beautiful Widgets (and Plume) guy, Bright Weather. No idea what its featureset is like but I like the developer.

Yeah I currently use bright weather and I like that app.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Athenry posted:

I've been using Weather & Clock Widget and like it, they went through some issues a while back where it wasn't updating but they were quick to get some more weather sources and fix it. Plenty of options of how big and detailed of a widget you want. I don't think it has a radar but I mostly use the hourly forecast to make sure I'm going to make it home from work without getting caught in the rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borax
Jul 2, 2003

dont be a dunderhead

Athenry posted:

Aix Weather widget
No radar, but its super light weight (just a widget), with lots of at a glance info.

• Locked thread