Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have been using Miren browser for ages now and realised recently that it hasn't been updated in ages even though there are some annoying bugs. I browsed back about ten pages to see if there was any talk about browsers and found that there was a lot of talk about Chrome.

Is it worth trying? If not what is the best browser at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm running a rooted HTC Desire with 2.3.7 so Chrome isn't an option unfortunately.

Is Boat my only alternative?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Now that my Galaxy Nexus has replaced my stolen HTC Desire I want to know what the best theft app is. I would prefer if it worked without root and all it needs to do is wipe the phone remotely.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What's the current calendar favourite? I have been using Jorte forever but now that I have ICS I figure there might be something better around.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My trial with Cerberus expires today. It seems pretty good but frankly I didn't really 'test' it out much. Is there any other apps to consider or should I just hit the buy button?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

My trial with Cerberus expires today. It seems pretty good but frankly I didn't really 'test' it out much. Is there any other apps to consider or should I just hit the buy button?

Just to update this I went to their website to try some of the features and couldn't get a connection to my phone even after following their very limited instructions. So I guess this means I'm after another theft app. Recommendations?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Just to update this I went to their website to try some of the features and couldn't get a connection to my phone even after following their very limited instructions. So I guess this means I'm after another theft app. Recommendations?

Another update to this. I bought Cerberus and got in touch with their support who replied within minutes and totally solved my problem. So yeah, highly recommended. :golfclap:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Tunga posted:

Gentle Alarm will handle that and a lot more.

I assume this is also still the preferred alarm app in general?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have reason to believe that BeWeather was screwing up all of my widgets. After getting the OTA upgrade to 4.0.4 for my Galaxy Nexus I noticed that many widgets of all types would freeze and the only way to fix them was to restart the phone, uninstalling or removing/replacing the widget would do nothing.

So what is an alternative to BeWeather? Weatherbug and stock doesn't look that good and AIX Weather doesn't fit very well with ICS.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What is the current favourite music player? Still PowerAmp? Seems pretty expensive and the interface is a little clunky.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Manky posted:

Feedly is the bomb for going through news feeds.

This seems to be exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

hooah posted:

I've been using ICS Browser+ for a while, and don't see myself switching. I love the thumb controls.

I'm in this boat also. The only problem I have with Browser+ is that you can't organise bookmarks but I think that may be a an issue with the stock browser that was carried over.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone having problems with Be weather widgets? Mine crash after a phone restart and often freeze especially when using BW skins. Running 4.04 GSM Galaxy Nexus. I submitted a crash report and support ticket so hopefully something comes of it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I vaguely remember being able to use Chrome to Phone to do the opposite and send links from your phone to your browser but I can't seem to find any information on this. Was I dreaming? Is this possible?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

In Chrome 19 tab syncing can be enabled rendering that obsolete.

I don't use Chrome on my phone or on my desktop. Is there another solution?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can you get a refund for an app that you have had for say a month or so that has randomly started to crash constantly and the developers don't reply to support tickets?

BeWeather Pro crashes every time I start my phone with the only fix being reinstalling the app and re-doing all my settings. I have sent crash reports and even opened a ticket on their support site but have had no responses.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What's the best shopping list app? I checked out Remember the Milk but it seems far too complex for what I want. I just want something that will keep a recurring list and that I can add quantities of things to.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Out of Milk was actually the one I was thinking of originally but I got it mixed up with Remember the Milk which seems rubbish.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

It will take them about three days to email you back to tell you there's a support ticket open where you'll have to retype everything you put in the email.

After that they'll ignore it for a week and then if you reply to your own issue they might say something like "Oh sorry, didn't realize this was open" without addressing your issue at all.

Then a week later they'll just delete (not close, they delete) the entire ticket and if you contact them again the process starts over again from step one.

Or they just ignore your ticket completely. :v:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I know task killers are generally frowned upon but it would seem my GNex on 4.2.2 has a bug where it doesn't kill things enough. Are there any decent task killers that can be configured to be conservative and work on in rooted devices?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Can this be in rooted? If so how?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

I don't know what you're asking but you just open the file in your favorite root browser and make the edit, save, then reboot. It's located at /system.

Auto correct messed up sorry. I was asking if this could be done on an unrooted phone. It would seem not as I just tried it and I'm not rooted. Pretty irritating that I have to root my phone to fix two lines of config but knowing Google they won't fix it anytime soon (if at all). I realised this is the reason for the two other issues I've been having since 4.2.1.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What is the current favourite Twitter app? I have been using Plume and Tweedly and both are good but jot great.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can someone please help me decide between Talon and Fenix? Talon is half the price so I'm leaning towards that but they both seem very similar.

What are the chances of Twitter locking either out with their stupid token system?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have a strange issue with Google Authenticator and 2 step verification. I factory reset my phone a few months back but forgot to setup GA. I just tried before and when I go to connect an available account it tells me to turn on 2 step authentication on that account using a computer. I have had 2 step on this account for two years. I can't find the manual account options on my Google account as it's already set up...

Searching for this problem got me no results. Anyone experienced this?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks everyone. I'll try the move to a new phone link. Didn't try that earlier as this isn't a new phone, just factory reset. I find a lot of the 2FA jargon difficult at best.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I updated about 15 apps on my phone this morning. Since then it's been doing really strange things such as:

The screen turning on straight after I turn it off (usually happens about 3-4 times in a row).
When the battery got low it spammed the message 3-4 times in a row.
I can't seem to connect to 3G (may be unrelated but was working fine last night)
The lock screen doesn't seem to come up much at all.

This is all on a GNex running stock 4.3 (rooted). I thought it may be Tasker, Cerberus or PushBullet (all of which updated) but after uninstalling those three it is still happening.

Anyone experience this?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

Bad nand?

I would flash the factory images on it and see if it does it from a fresh clean install.

If so, time for a new phone (honestly, it's time anyways, using a galaxy nexus is torture.)

I have never flashed any images on this phone. I think the issue was the Cerberus update and their new automation feature (even though I don't use that feature).

You're right, the GNex is painfully slow but I have a big trip coming up first. Then new phone.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend an internet radio app? TuneIn has lost me as it's become complete poo poo recently with tonnes of bugs and longer and longer load times.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a good app that can turn WiFi on based on area? I can do this in Tasker but it's inconsistent. Feels like this should be built in to Android given that there is a feature to do this for the lockscreen (might be a Sony feature?).

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

eSporks posted:

In this area many public places have ATT wireless hitspots. If you have an ATT phone and wifi is on, it will connect automatically to them.
Every single one of them is complete trash and will take minutes to load a webpage, so you are far better off using data.

I don't understand why we can't have a phone that will just use the best connection available.

This is exactly it. I don't want my phone auto connecting to WiFi hotspots on my commute and I also don't want my phone to connect to my work WiFi. However I do want my phone to connect to my home WiFi. Maybe I just need a rule system?

Edit: just found you can save credentials but disable auto-connect. Provided the hotspots all use the same said this might just work.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
On older versions of Android I could have my headset and normal headphones at different volumes. Is that possible with lollipop? If not is there an app that can do this?

• Locked thread