Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Not quite Dropbox (won't sync your photos or anything) but if you're looking for an extra 50GB of storage and have an LG phone, install the Box app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.box.android

More info here: https://support.box.com/entries/20768867-box-50-gb-promotion-faqs

e:

quote:

LG Android phones and tablets: Now through 12/31/12, download Box for Android on your device and sign in to get your upgrade automatically.

All other Android phones and tablets: This promotion has ended.

Sony Tablet S and Tablet P: Now through 12/31/12, download Box for Android on your tablet and sign in to get your upgrade automatically.

HP TouchPad: Now through 12/31/12, download Box for TouchPad on your tablet and sign in to get your upgrade automatically.

RIM PlayBook: Now through 12/31/12, download Box for PlayBook on your tablet and sign in to get your upgrade automatically.

Sony Ericsson Xperia phones: Now through 12/31/12, download Box for Android on your smartphone and log in to get your upgrade automatically.

Apple devices: This promotion has ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Are there any live news TV/radio apps out there that aren't complete poo poo? Everything I find is either prerecorded stuff or links to a livestream page or something. I just want the news, I don't care about TV series or talk shows.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Yeah you need to download a theme if you want to change that.

Anyway, question: is there a way to make the Facebook app resize my photos automatically? Because right now it's uploading them at full size which takes forever. I can't find it in the settings, am I missing something?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

letsgoflyers81 posted:

FriendCaster let's you pick from several sizes when uploading.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

e: it's fantastic but sadly it doesn't support custom lists which makes it useless to me. Oh well. :(

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 30, 2012

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Athenry posted:

Pro is also on sale for $0.99 right now too.

YESSS thank you! I've got WeatherBug Elite which is great but BeWeather is just gorgeous.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

PREYING MANTITS posted:

That's for the free version I guess. The paid one has at least been updated this year.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bellshare.beweather

Last updated April 24, 2012

Still though, I don't think they're a bastion of good customer support. I still bought it though.
I bought it too and I like it a lot. It's lovely. Hopefully I won't have any problems with it on my G2X.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a website that tracks what apps are free like there is for iOS?
I'm sure there's an easier way, but https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/topselling_free?feature=top-free

Or select a category and hit "top free". Or do a search and select "free" on the drop down on the search results page. That's the only way I know to browse free apps.

e: every time I see your avatar that drat song gets stuck in my head again

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nask26 posted:

Bought that beweather app yesterday, haven't been able to use it at all. Opened it up and I got a Liscense error. It's been updated twice now and still the same error. Emailed dev yesterday no response. Probably a good idea to steer clear saw a bunch of other people with the same issue.
Reboot your phone. I had the same problem when I bought it yesterday and a reboot fixed it. It's working fine now.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nask26 posted:

Tried everything I can think of, still not working. Hopefully it's fixed soon. Hate when devs ignore emails at least send me a canned response back.

Yeah I know what you mean. It's working fine for me right now. I hope you get it working soon.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
BeWeather works fine for me, but yeah Weatherbug Elite is great too.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Canukian posted:

The main reason for my purchase was the radar screen. Does weather bug do that?
I don't know about the free version but the elite version has everything including radar. The only downside of WeatherBug is that the widget is kinda ugly (imo).

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Is there an app or something that will clean up old files and folders that are left behind by uninstalled apps?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Splizwarf posted:

I've been wanting this forever too, Android's filesystem is enough of a mess that sometimes it's hard to tell what belongs/ed to what.
Yeah exactly. I can go in and delete stuff manually but I have no idea what's what. Seems odd that there is no app for that.

e: I should have said that the WeatherBug widget is a little meh, not that it's ugly. I'm just really anal about how my homescreen looks and BeWeather looks a lot better imo.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Ooooh thank you!

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yesterday, while storms were rolling through the midwest, my phone starting beeping loudly to warn me about a tornado warning in the area. I figured it was a feature of BeWeather except that the warning showed up in my text messages. The beeping was not my SMS notification though. I don't know if this is BeWeather, a feature of the SGS3, or something else. Does anybody have any information about this? Nobody else I was with (all with iPhones) received any warnings so it's not a thing that went out to everybody in the area.
That's not an app, it's CMAS. iPhones don't support CMAS yet.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

TVarmy posted:

I like being abreast of local emergencies, but I also don't want it going off for minor things. Is there a breakdown of what constitutes what alert?
You shouldn't turn off CMAS, it could seriously save your life. WeatherBug and BeWeather are great but sometimes it takes a few minutes for them to send out warnings and a few minutes is all it takes, especially with tornadoes.

I wouldn't turn off severe alerts at all if my phone was CMAS capable. A severe thunderstorm can still hurt you and damage your car. Just because it's not dropping tornadoes doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

IT Guy posted:

Does CMAS require a data plan or is it through SMS?

Also, for phones that do not have CMAS, is there any free services out there that will SMS you severe alerts in your area?

Weatherbug will give you weather warnings. There's also simple weather alerts. I'm on my phone so I can't link to them but they're easy to find.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

gmq posted:

Is there any Twitter client better than Plume?

I like Twicca.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

abraham linksys posted:

Can't stop laughing at the avatar + username + those screenshots combo.
I don't get it.

e: oh I see, it's funny because Twicca was made by a Japanese guy and I have an anime avatar. Okay.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

LastInLine posted:

Given the conversation about the anime corresponding with the screenname/avatar, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it was the kawaiiest who suggested it.
Yep. It's a really good app, I was using plume before and twicca is a million times better. The color labels thing is awesome, especially if you follow a lot of people.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nask26 posted:

I asked 1password yesterday about the full android app. Its in Alpha testing and under full development right now. I'm holding out for it but lastpass is really tempting especially since its so integrated into a bunch of 3rd party apps.
I use LastPass on my desktop and I'm planning to buy the subscription for the Android version as soon as I have $12 to spare because it's a really good app for a really good service and they absolutely deserve my money.

e: also desktop LastPass can be used with Authenticate (the Android app) for extra security which is really cool.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

mrmcd posted:

I use Lastpass. It's a great service, but like some people said the only way to get it to autofill is to use their own replacement keyboard or browser, since there really isn't an easy way let one android app manipulate another (nor do I think you would really want a security risk like that.)
I just use the Dolphin add-on, it works great.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Siroc posted:

I hesitate to move from Chrome to Dolphin because Chrome syncs so nicely between my desktop and android devices (sgs2 and nexus 7). How well does Dolphin sync?
I honestly have no idea -- I barely use my desktop anymore and my phone is the only device I own (no tablets or anything) so I never even thought of looking into syncing.

Dolphin has a bookmark sync add-on but that's all I know about this sort of thing.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

trilljester posted:

I installed Dolphin browser today, and it stuck a shortcut on my main home screen that I cannot remove. Does it do this for everyone or just me? :(
Never happened to me. It did put a shortcut on my home screen but I removed it just like any other shortcut. I use GoLauncher EX.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

LastInLine posted:

You guys know you can stop this from happening by unchecking the option in Play Store > Settings, right?
:aaa:

Thank you. I had no idea.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
If anyone is looking for a nice SkyDrive app, Android Explorer for SkyDrive is fantastic. I heard there's gonna be an official app but I doubt it'll be as nice as this one.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Holy poo poo I just installed the Swiftkey app and holy loving poo poo wow. Holy... wow. I'm buying this next month. Wish I hadn't been so stubborn about trying it. I'm very impressed.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

MikeJF posted:

Eh, I'm a little irritated with Swiftkey right now. It keeps going off the wall with suggestions; the other day, it decided that 'I' should autocorrect to 'imagine'.

I really miss the backspace->revert+override functionality of my last keyboard, might go back to it.
I'm coming from Swype and I'm just really impressed. I let it connect to my gmail account to learn, and sometimes I don't even have to type at all, it just writes poo poo for me. It's nuts. Sorry it's annoying you, I wish I could help but I've only been using it for a few hours and have no clue how to tweak the autocorrect, if that's even possible.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Jervas Dudley posted:

Does the official Tumblr app suck for anyone else? It cuts off wide images and doesn't play gifs. Is there a better option?
Shortblogger for tumblr.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

beedeebee posted:

I have a weird issue with Go SMS Pro.
Today, I've received 10+ sms messages from c1000. With the text: For selected contacts, Private Box let you hide notification, encrypt and secure messages with a password.

Is Go sms sending me spam? If so, why?

Yeah, they do that. It's really annoying and I wish I could find a better SMS app.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

rotaryfun posted:

I hate everything about Go<whatever>. They insert a bunch spam into your launcher and their sms app has turn into a giant ad for more of their products. Actually that's what all of their products are at this point.
Yeah it annoys me too. Sadly I can't seem to find a better launcher that has the uninstall thing that Go has (long press --> uninstall app) and I really love that feature. Are there any other launchers that offer that and the ability to resize widgets?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Tunga posted:

What Android version are you running?
Stuck on the latest GB, cannot upgrade to ICS.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So I tried to put ICS on my phone today and it just shat itself. None of the ROMs I tried were at all functional (one couldn't write to the internal memory, one kept dropping my data connection every few seconds and the third one just kept popping up an error message every time I tried to do anything -- I couldn't even set my clock).

So I gave up on ICS and put GB back on my phone and I'm trying really hard to get used to ADW Launcher because GoLauncher was spammy as gently caress but I'm just about ready to reinstall Go because this is very clunky and doesn't have the features I like. I tried a couple others and they were ugly as sin and/or didn't have the features I wanted either.

Are there ANY launchers for GB that are not complete poo poo?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Install Gentoo posted:

Is there another launcher, Gingerbread-compatible, that could import my homescreen layout from Go Launcher? Barring that, just a good launcher to use would be nice. I used to use LauncherPro and loved it, but that's not been updated in forever and isn't always stable.

I'm looking for one too but it seems GoLauncher is the best one out there. :(

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Cojawfee posted:

I don't understand why they did this. It was a really nice app and now their page on the store is filled with pages and pages of one star reviews.

Didn't they say that they were no longer going to be updating it? My guess is they just don't care anymore, and they're trying to make some money from the ads or something. I dunno.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Google Play has an end of Summer sale going on right now. I just bought Swiftkey, Vignette and Beautiful Widgets for $0.99 each. There's some games and other stuff there too.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Speaking of Car Home, is it okay to uninstall it? It's flagged as a system app so I want to make sure that removing it won't break anything.

e: I don't drive, I have no use for it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
ProCapture - Camera & Panorama is on sale for 99 cents

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.neaststudios.procapture&hl=en

It's a really nice app.

e: Vignette is also on sale

e2: I have too many camera apps

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I want a SMS/MMS replacement that works with group messaging and has light text on a black background. I can do this with Handcent but I can't stand the ugly UI deviations like the send button and other stuff with rounded corners. Handcent also runs like garbage if you have a theme installed. I also looked at Go SMS but apparently it puts ads in the notifications so that's a definite no. Are there others that I'm missing?

Is your phone rooted? If so, just get an ad blocker. I use GoSMS and GoLauncher and I never see any ads. If you don't want to/can't do that I think you're out of luck. I've never been able to find anything better than GoSMS.

Anyway, does anyone know of a news app that has notifications for breaking news? The CNN app has them but I'm looking for something that will let me choose the topics I'm interested in so I won't be getting breaking news about Mitt Romney or whatever.

e: or maybe I'm not seeing ads on GoSMS because it has none. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Microsoft SkyDrive is good too.

• Locked thread