Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
AndChat is a great IRC client

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Ciabatta posted:

Slightly off topic, but do you really lose unlimited on AT&T if you buy an LTE phone? If so, that's pretty terrible.

I rather doubt it, I kept my unlimited plan when going from iPhone unlimited to unlimited for my Inspire 4g.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Codiusprime posted:

Curses.

Next question: One hour last night is how long I dicked around with Go Launcher trying to figure out how to keep the wallpaper from scrolling. One loving hour. I want that hour back, bit more importantly I want my wallpaper to stop scrolling. Any ideas?

Preferences, screen settings, normal/portrait wallpaper

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Codiusprime posted:

I love you.

Seriously. Every other home replacement has a scrolling wallpaper option.

Thanks again.

Glad to help

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

IT Guy posted:

On an unrelated note, does anyone know of a dedicated alarm clock that does this type of stuff (wakes you up in a light sleep).

Gentle Alarm. No motion sensing, which I'm skeptical about anyway, never did much good back when I used it, instead it plays a very quiet sound half am hour before your actual alarm time, the idea being if you are I'm a light sleep phase, you'll hear it and wake up, if you aren't, you'll stay asleep and wake up at the regular alarm. Apparently sleep cycles last roughly half an hour light, half an hour heavy, so it you sleep through the pre-alarm, you'll be in a light par when the heavy one rolls around. I dunno about that one way or the other, but it IS a solid alarm clock app.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

IT Guy posted:

Just looked this up, I'll definitely give it a try. I don't know how I feel about the motion sensing yet. I've only used it one night and maybe it was a coincidence but I did wake up better this morning.

Another bonus, if you have Tasker, it has built in support for Gentle Alarm, so you can set up events for when an alarm starts/is snoozed/is dismissed.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Living Vicariously posted:

Yes and no. The free version of Phantom doesn't support Ubermusic. I just want a music widget that works with Ubermusic and dissapears when not in use. I'd but Phantom but I don't want to do the PayPal thing.

I don't suppose there is anything like this that is compatible with Spotify, is there? :(

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Question: Is there a way to make go SMS (or any other SMS app) show a "send message" popup? That's something I really miss from my jail broken iPhone :(

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 7, 2011

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

As someone who's never used iOS, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Literally just a popup window I could activate with a gesture, with a "To" field, and a field to enter text. The idea being I don't have to exit my current app and enter the SMS app to send a text when I'm not replying to one I've just received. Not sure how that was unclear...

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 7, 2011

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

Well given the fact that both of your posts had incomplete hyperlinks, I was fairly proud of myself for having a general idea what you wanted. :v:

Actually, I'm pretty sure LauncherPro Plus can do what you want, if I'm understanding what you're looking for. It has this weird feature that allows you to set what the developer calls "Activities" as shortcuts. Basically what they are are hooks into each app's functions and if you choose an action (swipe up from a dock shortcut, for instance), assign it a Shortcut, then assign that a LauncherPro Activity, then go to your preferred SMS program (I use stock), you'll see all the activities you can select. On stock there's one that's obviously for composing a new message. I picked that and it seemed to do what I think you want.

Obviously this is only useful from the home screen.

gently caress, for some reason my swype is reading an a to space swipe as www, somehow. What the gently caress :(

e: Fixed, also, thanks for the info, will look it up.

Oh, holy gently caress, Handcent has the popup, but it's not documented anywhere, it came up when I held the search button! :v: Yesssss

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 7, 2011

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

Good that found what you were looking for. A tip for Swype: you never have to hit or swipe to the spacebar, just tap A then start swiping the next word.

Huh, I got used to swiping to the spacebar for a/I because it told me to. IT LIED. But, yeah, thanks for the tip.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Friendcaster doesen't do 'proper' push notifications though (im guessing because facebook hasn't made that an open API or something) instead it half-asses it by checking your emails to see if facebook sent you one. I don't have emails from facebook because otherwise they would clog up my inbox.

C2DM seems to push fine for me.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

But according to the app description in the market, you have to have the Facebook emails turned on since it just scrapes those and turns them into c2dm notifications. I don't have emails on because I don't want an email hitting my inbox everytime something happens.

I still want the notification, just not an email. Seems like friend caster can't do that.

I've got the emails turned off...

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Penguissimo posted:

I would imagine there would be some pretty complicated legal issues involved with this.

For one, pretty sure it's illegal to record someone, even over a phone call, without their consent.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

More importantly, as far as I know, in the US it's always legal to record anything you want (except in government buildings, thanks, Patriot Act!), although you can be thrown out of private buildings if they don't want you to do it inside (taking photos of prices in stores is a good example: they can't have you arrested but they can show you the door; same with camming a movie in the theater or flash photography in a museum). The laws against recording without notification are only concerned with the recording's legal status as admissible evidence in a courtroom. You can record anything you want for personal use. As far as I know, the only exception is the police in California, who cannot be recorded in any way for any reason including personal use (thanks, Rodney King!).

tl;dr: you have a video camera in your phone so the "people could use the app to record things" argument is bunk, and "reasonable expectation of privacy" only applies in court.

This legal stuff comes up every time though, and it's a derail to the question, I'm not saying "Why are there no apps?" because there are apps that do this already. I'm saying "Why are they all so lovely?" :downs:

Never mind then lol

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

The Law posted:

The U.S. federal law allows recording of phone calls and other electronic communications with the consent of at least one party to the call. A majority of the states and territories have adopted wiretapping statutes based on the federal law, although most have also extended the law to cover in-person conversations. 38 states and the D.C. permit recording telephone conversations to which they are a party without informing the other parties that they are doing so.

12 states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation. Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

It is illegal under all jurisdictions to record calls in which one is not a party.

So, if you don't live in one of those states, you should be in the clear.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

AnimalChin posted:

Everyone was discussing launchers not too long ago, but I didn't see anybody mention Circle Launcher.

I was a huge fan of LPP, and then I switched over to Go Launcher which made my phone slow as gently caress and just made me frustrated.

I went back to Sense and put one circle dock in the middle of my main screen with a bunch of useful apps and I loving love it. It's blazing fast and super simple. I even made the icon transparent so it just looks like there's nothing there but wallpaper. I've also thrown in a couple of other circle docks on surrounding screens sorted by category.

How can I take screenshots of my phone without root?

Someone did mention it but it's still pretty neat. As far as I know, unrooted screenshots require some kind of debugging software on your computer that you hook the phone up too. I thought about it, but :effort:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Wow Game Devon Story is incredibly addictive.

Holy gently caress that game, uninstalling it, because it gave me the worst case of "One More Turn" that I've had in years.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

sizerp posted:

Two nights in a row I started poking around in it at 9pm and had to pry my self away near midnight to go to bed. Ouch.

I didn't sleep last night :qq:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Question for anyone who might know, is either DroidTropes ever getting updated so that searching works right, or is there a decent alternative? poo poo is like crack, but I hate looking at it through the browser because I either have to make all spoilers visible by default, or I have to mess with the selection box constantly, which is :effort:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Haeleus posted:

Any recommendations for a free IRC app?

AndChat (Pretty sure it's free, it is great though)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

SB35 posted:

I've been Looking at switching but only Swype supports Mandarin Chinese as a language, swiftkeyx and slideit do not.

If switching between input methods in Android was a bit another or quicker it wouldn't be a problem.

Long press on the text box, Input Method.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can someone recommend an app or something that will remind someone of a text message? Something like vibrate every x minutes when a text goes unread.

One thing: I don't wanna replace the stock messaging app, I like it. Just something that will do this one feature for me :)

I thought it did that already... then again, I haven't used the stock app in forever. I dunno about any apps specifically for that, but I figure you could do it in tasker, if you have it (you should). Haven't tried it, but I'd assume it'd require a custom variable, say "unread", initialized to false. When you get a text, one task sets unread to true. Another task monitors unread, and if true, starts a loop of "Vibrate Alert, then wait x minutes" until unread is set to false. One more task would set unread to false whenever the messages app is opened. Might work, might not.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well its not for me, its for my girlfriends dad who's a mechanic. Sometimes he wont feel his phone go off and wont hear it either. He has a casio commando (one of those rugged phones) so you can see the situation im in here.

I downloaded some of the apps off the market...I just wanted to hear some opinions from people on which ones work/which ones don't.

Oh, you should have said so, could have fooled me with:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

One thing: I don't wanna replace the stock messaging app, I like it. Just something that will do this one feature for me :)

That said, I don't know of any apps that do that, so hopefully someone else has experience with them (Though I'd hazard a guess that most people in here use something besides the stock app)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Roundboy posted:

I finally dropped swift key x and went back to the default keyboard. I just can't hit the letters properly, and the default does a good job already with predictions

I'm considering going through the pain of installing the swipe beta, but swipe just doesn't feel intuitive to be

I do miss the handy comma and period placement already

It didn't seem like it'd be intuitive to me either, but it really is. It's free, and not that big a hassle to install, you should give it a shot.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Would anyone know of a better way to customize the long press functionality on the search button? Maybe it's silly, but I HATE the menu that pops up with the options for it, but I want to use more than just one item for it :( I tried LaunchKey, but it only supports launching apps and/or system toggles, none of the quick options like Handcent quick compose, FriendCaster quick post, etc.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

CM7 allows you to specify longpress functions for all of the buttons.

HTC Inspire 4g, which is apparently a bitch to root, as it's apparently one of like 3 phones that doesn't work with SuperOneClick :(

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Wagonburner posted:

It's really not anymore, there's quite a process to getting root (radio, goldcard) but it's all completely scripted now as of sept or so, one click for you. Look for advanced ace hack kit in the xda inspire 4g - android dev section. CM7 runs so perfect on inspire, and its got just dozens and dozens of things like the longpress of buttons you can customize the poo poo out of.

You are my hero now. Got it rooted, but I need to leave for work now, so I'll install CM7 after. Do I need to do a full wipe on my phone? (Assuming yes, got a wipe rom from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=868720 but figured I would double check).

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Will do then :)

edit: Got CM7 installed, definitely need to play around with it a bit, but I like what I see so far.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 9, 2012

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Holy poo poo CM7 is so awesome! :swoon:

Content: what features in Tasker require root? Aka what new goodies do I now have at my disposal?

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 9, 2012

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
So, not sure if it's sure to using CM7 instead of stock, or if it's from using setCPU, but after rooting and putting those on my phone, I've stopped having a very frustrating issue, where any time I left my phone in my pocket for more than 10 minutes or so, it'd overheat and wouldn't turn on without a battery pull. Now? No such problem :woop:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

air- posted:

I did my wipe and reflash, still experiencing the issue. I'll go ahead and try to get ahold of the developer to make them aware of the issue, but for the meantime, I need a functioning alarm to get up for work so I'll install Alarm Clock Xtreme.

Question: can you set up Alarm Clock Xtreme so it'll play a pre-alarm? Preferably only with vibration as that was particularly one feature I liked about Gentle Alarm.

Just swapped myself, and I'd assume it'd be as simple as creatine a second alarm 30 minutes before the main one, which would only vibrate and would auto dismiss after x minutes.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Question, do I have to wipe when upgrading to new versions of CM? Does TiBkup work for everything when just upgrading?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Anyone using Circle Launcher: is there a way for me to put a shortcut on my app circle? I want my Awful app to open directly to the UCP, which they have a shortcut for.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Also, almost positive that if what you currently have typed is a word, it'll set that as the default.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Drifter287 posted:

Anybody using Go Launcher on the nexus? It's probably obvious, but I can't seem to figure out how to get to Go Launcher settings since there's no settings button.

Menu > Settings or Preferences or something?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Ahahaha, oh god that made me laugh. Thank you for that (and the app! It's super useful- not that I'd have anything specific that I use it for... :fap:)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

PanoPlanet

Please tell me where to get that specific wallpaper.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

I think I found it. Virgin resells Bell in Canada so I just adjusted my search and found this.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/149683-bell-mobility-gps-read-if-bell-user-please.html

Basically Bell puts a Branded app in the phone that requires payment. There are other Bell apps that came stock on the phone so that makes sense I guess.

So the next question would be if there are any free GPS apps that offer turn by turn direction.

I like Waze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

I went to that link and it told me that Maps is already installed. All I could uninstall were the updates. So I removed those, installed from the link and got the same issue.

So I'm guessing that Bell has it locked.

Give Waze a shot.

• Locked thread