Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Splizwarf posted:

A friend of mine wants his wifi to connect automatically anytime he's at home but to only connect when prompted to out-of-the-house wifi, like his work network. Is this something Juice Defender's good for or is something else more perfect? Free is better, but if this is simple with Tasker that'd be good news since he's on the fence about Tasker already. I know Woofi is probably ideal for this but he's looking for more of a Swiss Army knife.

e: nevermind on Juice Defender specifically, he has an SGSII and says it rapes SGSII (AT&T) batteries for some reason. So, other suggestions.

Does it turn on when you run?

If he wants a Swiss Army knife then Tasker is what he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cojawfee posted:

Is there a thread for woofi? If not, is there a way for it to not disconnect wifi if it is currently connected but not in the correct area? My GPS likes to say I'm at the opposite part of base (about 2 km away) even though I'm not. I'd rather not set my radius to three kilometers. It would be nice if when it saw I was at home and connected to wifi, it didn't disconnect later when it thinks I'm 3km away. If I'm away and I'm not on wifi, sure turn wifi off, but if I'm actively connected to it.

If woofi is disconnecting you from WiFi there is some sort of regression. If you're connected to an access point it should not disconnect you.

I'll check it out later this evening and see if I can do a quick update if there's a bug...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Is there a thread for woofi? If not, is there a way for it to not disconnect wifi if it is currently connected but not in the correct area? My GPS likes to say I'm at the opposite part of base (about 2 km away) even though I'm not. I'd rather not set my radius to three kilometers. It would be nice if when it saw I was at home and connected to wifi, it didn't disconnect later when it thinks I'm 3km away. If I'm away and I'm not on wifi, sure turn wifi off, but if I'm actively connected to it.

I'm not sure I understand your problem here. Let me tell you what I did to test and you tell me if I tested the right thing.

I set my saved location to about 2 kilometers from my house. While I was at home I connected to WiFi. Woofi thinks I'm 2 kilometers from my saved location.

Am I understanding you correctly in my thinking that this mirrors your situation?

I explicitly wrote woofi to not do anything while you're connected to WiFi, so in my contrived situation I just described, it does not disconnect me from my access point.

Now, it's possible there's a bug in how your device manufacturer reports WiFi state to the Android API. I basically use this logic:
code:
If ConnectiviityManager.getActiveNetworkInfo().getType() == ConnectivitityManager.TYPE_WIFI
    woofi.DontDoJackShit()
If the Android API on your device is reporting erroneous information on your device then you'll have a problem...

Slopehead posted:

I find this statement absolutely hilarious because at one point in time (about 6 months ago) I was probated due to this huge slapfight about Poweramp because it wasn't pretty enough for a number of people despite having essentially the same functionality then as it does now.

Funny how things change in a few months with a fresh lick of paint, eh?

Edit: It was a stupid argument then and it's a stupid argument now. I just found Gyshall's commentary amusing as hell because 6 months ago I could easily see certain people not suggesting poweramp because it didn't measure up to their aesthetic sensibilities, no matter the actual quality of the applications functionality.

Android nerds are weird.

I remember that argument, and I don't quite understand what your point is here. As LastInLine points out, people didn't like the way it looked. They changed the way it looked, so now they like it.

What's hilarious about that?

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 10, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

edit: DP

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

While we're on e subject of Woofi, are there any issues with the app and ICS? When I leave a saved location it will turn off wifi just fine, but for some reason when I return to a location it won't turn it back on. I've tried playing around with the travel time and connectivity check settings but nothing has helped.

Ferg told me it was working fine on his GN.

What does the notification say when you return to your location?

edit: During the development of woofi, I've come to the conclusion that carriers are absolutely horrible at location services on their phones. Verizon seems to be especially bad. They seem to do something with the Android location API with regards to tower-based location fixes that just makes it Not Work in large swaths of the country.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

Thermopyle, do you plan to move your 1.8_3 beta into the market anytime soon? I have some friends wanting your app but I'm not sure if I should point them to your blog or to the market.

I probably should, but I have to do a bit of cleanup to do on it. I'll get it done within a couple weeks. (I'm pretty busy right now.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't get any notifications from the app at all for coming or going.

Sorry, you have to turn it on in the app preferences.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Recommend me a "To-Do/scheduled tasks" app that works on a Windows PC (web interface is okay) and Android. Bonus points if I can share task lists with my wife on her Mac and Iphone (if she has to use a web interface this is okay, native to my phone/tablet is the important part). Also bonus points for having it talk to Google Calendar.

I'm not a big fan of Astrid but haven't used it in almost a year.

I use the poo poo out of Due Today which syncs with the Toodledo.com web service to implement my GTD system.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BonzoESC posted:

I know asking for a camera app that goes right to iCloud PhotoStream (and my iPhoto) is probably silly, but is there one that at least goes into a designated Dropbox folder?

https://market.android.com/details?id=me.ctso.dropsnap

Have to open the app to make it upload. If you upgrade to the pro version for 3.99 it automatically uploads.

Just point it at the folder that holds your photos on your SD card and it does its poo poo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

Thermopyle, can you give a link to the blog version of Woofi? The market version has just up and stopped working for me and would like to try the other version.

Latest beta version is here.

Please do let me know how it works for you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

Ok, so the beta version, like the market one, won't turn my wifi back on if notifications are disabled. As soon as I turned notifications on it snaps to life and turns wifi on.

I haven't looked at the code or anything, so I have no idea what's happening behind the scenes with the notifications or why they only affect the app's ability to turn wifi back on.

Pretty odd. First report I've had of this. I'll look in to it...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

I've also discovered that the app isn't starting on it's own when I power on the phone, though I'm not sure if it's designed to do that or not.

Hmm, I can't reproduce that issue or the other one you mentioned.

I'll look over the code this weekend and see if I have any ideas.

Did you mention what device and carrier you're on?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

I've got a Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

In related news, it started acting up on me again. I returned home (with notifactions on) and waited for it to check the location and turn wifi back on, but after two checks it still wouldn't recognize I was within 1000m of home. I deactivated and reactivated Woofi and as soon as I did that it immediately turned on wifi, even though the notification bar kept saying it was disabled.

What do you mean "after two checks"? It should only be checking because it thinks your near home...

Do you mean it checks but doesn't connect to WiFi? If so, try increasing the WiFi timeout in the app preferences. By default it is 10 seconds but some phones/routers take longer than that to establish a connection. After 10 seconds woofi assumes you're near your home but not near enough to connect to your access point, so it turns WiFi off for the "Check interval" amount of time before it checks again.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

Two location checks. The app just won't recognize that it's within 1000m of my home. For some reason woofi is just getting terrible location data. Right now it's telling me it has an error of 2.6km when Google maps is saying its 10m and my GPS status app is saying it's only 5m.

Well that's lovely.

If you're running the beta, you can try turning on the log in the preferences. This will log to woofi.log in the SD card root. If you send it to me after having your problems (app_woofi@contriving.net), I'll see if I can't figure something out.

Be aware that the log will contain your location data, so I'll be able to leave my wife and child and pick up a life of stalking you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

If you want me to walk you through setting up a true a2sd solution I'd be happy to do it. Once you're rooted it's not difficult at all and storage just won't be a problem anymore.

You helped me set this up on my N1. I much appreciate it.

However now that I've got like 150 apps installed, I'm now always bumping up against limited space in Data. :(

First World Problems.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

What exactly the a2sd problem many people apparently have, anyway? I've been shoving apps onto my SD card by the handful recently and none of them have stopped working because of it. Is this a manufacturer/device issue?

Many apps can't be moved to the SD card with the native Android functionality.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tunga posted:

This varies a bit per A2SD implementation but on my Desire (basically the same as an N1) I found I was still filling up data with the dalvik cache. There might be a shell command you can run to move the dalvik, I think it was something like "a2sd cache2sd".

Yeah, I've already got dalvik moved via S2E. I haven't moved data yet because everything always says "don't move data because it's slow".

I wonder if the Class 6 SanDisk I'm using is fast enough...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

You're describing a hardware problem, not a Google Navigation problem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hubis posted:

So I am finally moving into the 21st century and abandoning my "pick one of a half-dozen passwords for every site I log into" strategy in favor of something actually secure. Does anyone have a recomendation for a good "Password Keeper" app? Candidates so far are SplashID, mSecure, and 1password (I tried keePass but the Mac client keeps crashing on me, so that's a deal-breaker). Requirements:

- Desktop application for OS X
- Syncing over wireless/dropbox
- Able to add/edit keys on mobile
- Option for browser integration / plugin
- Secure (duh)

I'm going to mention something that doesn't match your requirements. Not because I'm a dick and didn't read what you wrote, but because sometimes people don't realize the options that are available to them.

I use Lastpass and love the poo poo out of it. It's cloud-based, has extensions for all the major browsers, and a nice Android app. It's also widely recommended and used. It doesn't have a desktop application (that I know of), because you use it through the browser. It "syncs" because it's all in the cloud, not because of any specific wireless or Dropbox integration.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Gilyon posted:

Is there an app that will let me stream what's on my computer monitor to my tablet? I know a remote desktop app can display my PC's visual output, but I don't need to control my computer - just see a duplicate of my monitor.

Can't you just...not control it?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Roundboy posted:

ok a woofi question.

I see via the notifications that i am xx km from home, with a rather large (1.68 km) radius. I happen to pop into google maps, and i have GPS on, etc, and it find my location and tracks me for a bit.

But woofi still seems to have a large 'slop' to it. if i enable gps in woofi, it gets me to within a few meters right away.

is it not using any map data it can get that it doesnt get explicitly ?

Since you're able to enable GPS, you must be using the beta. It's certainly possible there's a bug in there that prevents it from using GPS data that other apps have retrieved (like Maps).

I know this works correctly in the market version. I'll see if I can reproduce that behavior tomorrow...

One thing I just thought of is that I don't think I have the beta set up so that it will update where it thinks you are just because another app got some GPS data (off hand I don't think there is any way for woofi to know if another app got GPS data without explicitly checking you location...which is what woofi tries to avoid doing as much as possible since it uses more battery life). It won't update where it thinks you are until the time it shows in the notification until the next check, or until you open the app to the main screen.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Roundboy posted:

I remember asking about this a whole back, and you said that woofi uses the latest gotten location data, regardless of source. meaning that if I popped into maps, that updated fix it's now available.

Or am I just confused ?

rotaryfun posted:

From what I understand it does use the latest data. But from my use it doesn't update that data in the notification until it does it's next check, which if it's in a certain acceptable timeframe, it will just use the data that another app retrieved.

rotaryfun is correct and is what I was trying to say in my post.

Woofi doesn't have any way to know that another app recently got GPS data without trying to get a location...which it only does during it's location/wifi checks.

In other words, the only way another app getting a GPS lock benefits woofi is if it gets a GPS lock within a short period of time of woofi doing a location/wifi check.

Maps or whatever GPS app doesn't go "hey woofi, wake up, I just got a GPS fix!".

Cakefool posted:

Do you have an idea of when you plan to update woofi? Its getting increasingly flaky for me these days, not checking location or appearing to be in some kind of idle state - not disabled, just never seems to check or show a timeframe for checks.

A wipe & reinstall fixed it for a week but occasionally I'll pick my phone up after bring at home for an hour &.I'll be on 4g. Going into the app via notification it just said click to configure. Checking the map shows me within the 1k radius I set for the location but it never gets the hint & I have to connect manually.

Are you running the beta version?

I hope to push out that beta to the market soon. I've been slammed with other work that pays better recently.

For anyone who is curious, I make less than $2 a month off of the ads in the app, and I've got around $300 from upgrades to the paid version. Please note that I'm not complaining. I wrote woofi to learn Android app development and to try out some ideas I had.

Woofi needs some UI work to make it easier for non-techies to figure out WTF and it still needs some backend work on reliable location checking. I find it quite tricky because I've done everything I can to avoid long-running services or to avoid waking the phone up unnecessarily. Woofi relies quite heavily on setting alarms to wake it up to do location checks. Each time it wakes up, in addition to checking location, it figures out what time to set the next alarm for. If Android doesn't kick off that alarm for some reason, or if there's any bug in woofi that causes it to fail, well we're hosed because it doesn't set the next alarm which means woofi never runs a check again unless the phone is rebooted or you open the app.

The beta I went ahead and put in a watchdog repeating alarm that doesn't rely on woofi setting it to run again each time it runs a check. This repeating alarm just runs every 15 minutes to make sure the main locatin/wifi alarm is set to run sometime in the future. I had avoided this in the past just because it seemed like it shouldn't be necessary and was just waking up the phone unnecessarily. However, after using the beta for awhile the watchdog alarm doesn't seem to cause any noticeable increase in battery usage. Probably because it hardly does any work...just checks to make sure the main alarm is set and then goes back to sleep.

I'll get to this stuff as soon as I have some good chunks of free time, but I'd expect that to be a couple of months still...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sharktamer posted:

Google announces the death of the menu button, long live the action bar

So what do the app developers here think of this? It can probably be ignored for quite some time, especially while ICS builds up its adoption.

I do like the action bar though, the app menus tend to get really cluttered.

I think it's a pretty decent solution for the fact that people still forget the fact that they should try pressing the menu button when they don't know what to do or can't find something.

It's fairly easy to implement. I'll throw it in the next version of woofi...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

...yes? Sony calls completely mundane stuff by silly names all the time. Calling stuff that has been standard for years SuperHyperWhatever, you know? I might be mixing up my manufacturers, but it's really not a new thing at all. Google doing this is really only interesting because of the irony and the "don't be evil" dogma.

I think you're focusing on the wrong thing. No one thinks it is interesting because it's called an Action Bar. It's interesting because it is a different UI metaphor from what they were using before. AKA, options used to be hidden behind a menu button, now they're explicitly out there in the open.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

woofi users:

I'm in the thinking stages about upcoming updates to woofi. One of the problems with woofi is that a lot of people get confused about why it's doing what it's doing. A lot of that has to do with the fact that woofi relies on a lot of "fuzzy" data to do it's job....location fixes are imprecise, routers take too long to connect, data connection isn't always available, travel time estimates are off by multiple minutes, etc. Woofi has heuristics to deal with all of that but these things make the behavior unpredictable at times.

What I'm thinking about doing is changing how woofi presents its functionality to the user. Without talking specifically about the UI, I'm thinking about changing the "contract" with the user. Instead of the user configuring all the intervals and whatnot, woofi just says "I will do my best to connect to your WiFi as soon as you arrive at your saved locations, but depending on various circumstances it may be up to 15 minutes after arriving at a saved location".

This is actually what's going on now, but the availability of some of the preferences, and the fact that woofi doesn't explicitly describe itself that way, leads to a lot of support emails...

Secondly: I've had a few requests for woofi to turn off mobile data when it isn't using it. This would mean that whenever woofi wasn't checking your location you wouldn't have data. The only time you'd have data service is when you were connected to WiFi. Of course, you'd be able to toggle data back on manually.

Is this something anyone here would use?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sereri posted:

Also would it be possible to have sleep periods to stop woofi from checking from 0:00 to 6:00 or something like that?

Good idea. Added to my features list.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Wait I'm confused, isn't data always on when you have an active wifi connection?

I'm talking about when you're not on WiFi. So like when you're driving from the office to home, mobile data would be off.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Yes, so turning mobile data off permanently would accomplish the same thing: on wifi, connects to data (over wifi). Away from wifi, no mobile data.

Right, but woofi would have to turn it back on when it's doing a location check since it uses the data network to fetch travel time from your current location to the closest saved location.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

So... the only time you would have any kind of connection to the internet would be when you are home on wifi?

This seems silly to me. What's the point of a smartphone at that point. That's basically an always off device as far as I would view it and no better than just using my tablet and a dumbphone.

I guess there is a market for this, but it doesn't make sense to me. The only time I'm on wifi is when I am home, as we don't have wifi at work.

Yes, it seems weird to me as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SmokeyXIII posted:

Do any of you know a music store I can get mp3s from in Canada? preferably with an app for my desire hd? I'm sure the options are really limited since I'm in Canada. I hate itunes with a passion, and will never give them another dollar, so thats out.

Failing that, is there a decent streaming service you guys would recommend?

E: how does rdio work? Does it save any music to my phone I'm never around wifi so that would be preferable.

Googlin' says Amazon MP3 downloads work in Canada.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

It doesn't let you use the top row, when you cross into the top row the trash can pops up and eats your widget.

I stopped using Go Launcher for this reason, I like to have my screen symmetrical in landscape with an Elixir bar on one side and the dock on the other, but I couldn't get the Elixir bar to go up against the edge because of the trash can. In ADW or LPP this works fine.

Not sure what your problem was...I just double checked and its not even particularly hard to put items on the top row.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

My issue was that there was an appreciable gap; in ADW and LPP I can get a widget just about flush with the edge so I basically have a dock on both sides in landscape. I just re-installed Go to see if they'd improved it, but there's still a big gap, about 2/3 of the size of an icon. v:shobon:v

beedeebee posted:

Yeah, that was what I'm experiencing. There's a tiny bar that stays empty (you can choose to display your screen indicator there), and it's impossible (for me at least) to put any widgets there.

Ahh ok. (That doesn't have anything to do with the garbage icon thingy, though)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Well, the reason we can't use that space appears to be because the garbage can bar takes up that whole top space, unnecessarily (since the other launchers let us use that space). If I recall correctly, LPP lets you change the trash can location specifically to avoid this problem.

On my phone, when you drag something up there, the garbage can slides down over the top of the screen indicators and whatever widgets you have in the top row. AFAICT, it's the screen indicators that keep the top widget from reaching the top of the screen. The garbage can bar overlaps both the unusable space (which looks to be like 1/8th of a whole widget and the top of the top widget...so I don't think the garbage can has anything to do with it.

Anyway, the fact remains that there's like 1/8th of a widgets space that you can't use...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Just saw this on Lifehacker: https://market.android.com/details?id=de.syncly

Seems like it's the best Dropbox photo syncer I've seen yet. Take a photo and it's automatically synced to Dropbox. No fuss, it's just done.

Only problem is it requires you to create a Syncly account for some dumb reason.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

beedeebee posted:

Is there a decent money-spending/budget tracking app that also has a web interface/a desktop application?

So far the only one I've found is You Need a Budget, it looks nice, but it's expensive ($60). Any alternatives? I can't use Mint, as I'm not in the states.

I think we discussed this in this thread recently.

YNAB is really nice, though I agree it's a pretty steep price.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lawnie posted:

I would use something like this, but I spend all day every day doing math in class. The alarm could ask me to solve a linear first order differential equation and I'd probably still go back to sleep afterwards. I really want something that will use the accelerometer (well) to wake me up when I'm sleeping lightly. I've heard things like this recommended and figured I'd give it a try.

I use Gentle Alarm. While it doesn't use the accelerometer, it does let you set a target time you have to be up and will do a real quiet alarm even earlier to wake you up if you're not deep asleep.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

There used to be a grocery list app that got mentioned in here every once in awhile that synced multiple devices and IIRC was goon made.

Anyone remember what that was? Actually any grocery list apps that will sync would be good to hear about.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I can't say enough good things about Our Groceries. It's barebones, but that's what we wanted and the updates are so instant that my wife and I can split up in the store and cross things off the list without worrying about overlap.

Does it have anything for organizing your lists by aisle?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

AlexMoron posted:

While we're on the subject of Spotify, is there no way to join that site without a Facebook? I put off signing up for a few months because I didn't really care, but now that I'm curious to see what it's like, it looks like there's absolutely no way to join if you don't have a Facebook. That just seems.. really dumb.

It is very dumb, and I'm so glad I signed up before it was a requirement.

Other than that I really like Spotify. I cache a bunch of playlists to my device and all is golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bhm posted:

I'm so happy! I've customized my UI to fit me like a glove.

I also ordered a custom skin to match.

I'm so giddy! I can't wait for it to arrive :dance:
I can finally have my gaudy neon space-phone that I've always dreamed of.

Android Desktop Thread is where that should be posted so you can get criticized real good.

• Locked thread