Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Streaming videos from home PC to Android phones and tablets trip report:

I've been looking for something to fit the bill since the purchase of my first Android phone. I've literally tried and bought almost every app out there for this task. It's been a pretty frustrating journey since AirVideo, available only on iOS devices for ages, does everything I want.

My Requirements:

• Easy streaming with on the fly transcoding of high definition video files
  • At minimum needs to support 720p and 1080p videos using the MKV container with DTS and/or AC3 audio.
  • Should be able to access media files stored on my NAS over Samba (windows file sharing) through my Windows 7 x64 desktop.
  • Streaming over WiFi should look great, comparable to AirVideo on the iPad/iPhone or KalemSoft Media Player on the HP TouchPad.
  • Secure and watchable over 3G.

Tested Devices::

• HP TouchPad running Cyanogen 7 (Gingerbread/2.3) Alpha 2.1 Gingerbread
  • Viewsonic GTablet running Honeycomb 3.0 and Froyo (2.2)
  • Sprint EVO 4G running Cyanogen 7.1 (Gingerbread/2.3).
  • Sprint Epic 4G Touch running stock ROM (Gingerbread/2.3, Galaxy S2 Phone)

Winner:

Qloud Media (free version also available, ad supported)
  • Lightweight/simple to use server
  • Supports multiple MKV audio tracks (choose before video playback)
  • Works with every video I've thrown at it
  • Remembers last folder browsed
  • Remembers last video location
  • Works with MKV embedded subtitles and SRT subtitles
  • Video quality is very good at higher bitrates. Bitrates are customizable.
  • Very stable over low bandwidth 3G, streamed an entire 1080p movie over a lovely Sprint connection that topped out at 350 k/b (player set for 250/kb streaming) with no problem.
  • Includes photo and mp3 streaming, both work great
  • Has a weird quirk that requires you to press the "play" button after using the seek bar on the video client.
  • Ability to setup multiple users/allowable shared folders
  • Only requires one TCP port forward for direct remote connection
  • Server component available only for Windows

Other Streamers:
The following is the list of other streamers I tried. Instead of listing all the pros, cons and unique features of each streamer I will just note how it compares to Qloud Media for streaming over WiFi/3G on Android phones/tablets:

Emit (free version also available, ad supported)

I actually found out about Emit after evaluating Qloud, it's probably my #2 choice under Qloud Media. Their featuresets are very similar and I'm betting they're based on similar technologies. I actually bought Emit too because I like the ability to stream via a PC web browser via the Emit web app. On higher end devices capable of high bitrates/resolutions Emit can produce better video quality than Qloud.

If I could only pick one video streamer to purchase I would still pick Qloud Media, the server and client are simply more stable (especially over 3G) and mature (Qloud client shows video thumbnails in the file browser and remembers last folder/video location between restarts). The Qloud photo viewer is a nice added bonus I actually use. On Emit one video I tested had no audio, restarting playback seemed to fix it, starting it again later had the same issue (may be a tablet issue). So if you get no audio try restarting playback.

• Lightweight/simple to use server component
  • Capable of producing best video quality of all streamers tested
  • Video frame rate seemed a bit choppier when compared to Qloud
  • Can be very CPU intensive on the server side
  • Works with MKV embedded subtitles and SRT subtitles
  • Supports multiple MKV audio tracks (single button switcher in video player)
  • Video quality is excellent at higher bitrates. Bitrates and resolution are customizable.
  • Includes MP3 streaming capability
  • Playback on PC via web client/Flash
  • Ability to pre encode video files for later download
  • Remote direct connection requires one TCP port (http streaming), UDP port range forward for RTSP fallback support (port numbers not customizable, what If I want to run multiple Emit servers?)
  • Server component available for Windows, MAC and Linux

VLC Stream & Convert Pro (free version also available, limited bitrate options)

This is the first app I tried on Android. Setup is complex, playback is very finicky, working one minute and completely broken the next. Uses VLC on the desktop to stream content. If VLC is run as a service (through AndroStream VLC Server) it has no access to mapped drive letters.

• Works with all videos VLC can play
  • Complex to setup, requires Android devices that support RTSP streaming
  • Insecure, no login security, lists all files over basic HTTP. The only way to access a VLC server securely is via a VPN connection.
  • Experienced lots of video tearing issues
  • Video quality (when not tearing) can be very good when bitrates and resolutions are tweaked
  • Resolution/bitrates top out at low values (doesn't support qHD or 720p resolutions), technically it can be customized by providing a custom encoding command line, which isn't very user friendly
  • Cumbersome to switch between bitrates/resolutions
  • Server component supported on any platform that can run a full build of VLC

AndroStream Pro (free version also available, limited to 2 minutes of play time)

See above, AndroStream is almost identical to VLC Stream & Convert, even compatible with the same streaming server application. I Found VLC Stream & Convert to be a bit more customizable when it comes to bitrates and resolutions.

PlayOn Mobile
  • Suffers from Flash Video quality effect*
  • Video quality ranges from OK to good
  • Android client app is sluggish (slow to scroll/navigate)
  • Supports local playback though beta server "My Media" feature, which seems to forget to index shared folders, requiring a restart/wait
  • Supports streaming Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, and many other streaming sites
  • Supports other video services via plugins
  • Server component available for Windows only

Plex for Android

Plex is actually pretty nice, but the video quality is just "OK", and cruddy for tablets. Starting video playback takes longer than I'd like.

• No subtitle support
  • Server and client feel bloated/slow
  • Best looking Android client, supporting thumbnails and full descriptions/meta data
  • Starting/restarting playback is slow
  • Remembers last video playback location
  • Video quality seems to top out at a certain point, which makes high quality playback on tablets unattainable
  • Toggling Direct Stream/Direct Play/Bitrate features seemed to have no effect
  • Supports other services (such as Hulu, CBS, etc..) via plugins
  • Playback is a bit unstable requiring retries/restarts more than I'd like
  • Server component available for Windows, MAC and Linux

ZumoCast (patched version for all devices and rotation support)

I actually had very high hopes for this. Zumocast started out being available for only for iOS and PC web browsers. For iOS it was very comparable to AirVideo and some actually preferred it over AirVideo. They promised an Android client for ages, but it never seemed to come. Then they were bought out by Motorola which dropped iOS client support and released an Android client, but they locked it down to refuse to run on anything but three (as of this writing) Motorola devices (DROID 3, DROID BIONIC and Motorola ATRIX 2). The folks at XDA hacked a version that ran on all Android devices (link above). However its lack of support for video with DTS audio made it a non starter for me, which is frustrating since I believe it worked back before the Motorola acquisition.

• Free
  • No support for videos with DTS audio (support says it's on their todo list)
  • Good video quality, client picks best bitrate/resolution to use (I assume based on bandwidth)
  • Quality on tablets not so great
  • No bitrate/resolution tweak options
  • No subtitle support
  • Remembers last video location
  • Supports music streaming and file downloading
  • Server indexing can be slow
  • Playback on PC via web client/Flash
  • Server component available for Windows and MAC OS X

Subsonic Music Streamer

This is still my go to app for streaming music from my desktop. The music streamer is very mature and I really like the feature that stores/caches music I play for later playback when I have no net connection. Video playback is more of a tacked on feature that was added recently, and it feels that way. At the time it came out it was one of the best solutions for Android video streaming. Subsonic's video playback hasn't really matured since and is now comparatively primitive.

• Supports music streaming
  • Cache/save for later streamed music files (you can tweak cache size)
  • Video encoding parameters can be tweaked via server settings
  • Bitrate can be set during video playback
  • No video player, relies on launching browser with flash plug-in support
  • Good video quality
  • Not very kind on unstable connections, requires restarting video a lot
  • Folder browsing is unusably slow with Samba shares that have more than 10 folders (works fine with NFS shares)
  • Server component available for Windows, MAC OS X and Linux (Any server with Java support)

Splashtop Remote Desktop (tablet version also available)

This is actually a remote desktop solution, but since it can stream at 30fps with audio you can use it remote into your desktop and stream videos you play on your desktop.

• Great video quality
  • Video playback, depending on bandwidth can be choppy (at least 2mbit connection for enjoyable usage)
  • Regular client (non tablet) version available for free via GetJar Gold apps
  • Since you're remoting into a desktop, supports any video your desktop can play (everything)
  • Streamer component available for Windows and Mac OS X

Orb Live (free version, ad supported)

I used Orb back in the days when I owned a Sprint dumb phone streaming videos over their 2G network to 3GP format. I tried Orb Live when it first came out for Android, haven't tried it since, but from memory the quality simply sucked, was unstable and navigation was very clunky/slow.

• Supports streaming music and photos
  • Supports streaming live TV (via supported computer TV tuner)
  • When I tried it the video streaming quality was horrible, worst of the bunch horrible
  • 3G streaming was unstable
  • Subtitle support is complex
  • Tweakable bitrate
  • Streamer component available for Windows and Mac OS X

Mirage Beta
  • Client browser is very beta/primitive
  • No bitrate / resolution tweak options
  • Doesn't transcode as much as streams based on some arbitrary profile (choppy/unsuitable for streaming HD content)
  • Works with AirVideo or a UPnP server(s).

DNLA Based Transcoding:

One route I examined a bit and abandoned was DNLA/UPNP based servers (such as TVMobili, Serviio, TVersity, and PS3 Media Server) and clients (BubbplleUPnP, UPnPlay, and Skifta), using a regular Android video player such as MX Video Player (free version, ad supported).

The reason I abandoned a DNLA based solution is that it requires a server to recognize your Android client device's capabilities and transcode appropriately. This gives no tweaking options for WiFi vs 3G connections and tends to be fairly complex to setup. DNLA is better suited for non transcoding scenarios where you want to stream the source file as natively as possible. DNLA is my solution for streaming content to my Samsung Smart TV (using Serviio) over a LAN connection. When quad core tablets come out a DNLA client over a high speed LAN connection might make more sense.

Notes:

* Flash video quality effect - There are several streaming clients that require Flash for Android for video playback. Every streamer that does suffers from what I call the Flash video quality effect. No matter how high the bitrate and resolution there seems to be pixelation / jaggines issues on outlines of video objects. Because of this every streaming client that relies on Flash fairs poorly when compared to streamers that don't use Flash.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Rapsey posted:

If you have upnp enabled ports will be opened automatically. The reason for the UDP port range is because of RTSP streaming protocol that we also support. We support HTTP Live Streaming which only requires the TCP port (2.3+ devices), RTSP on the other hand requires the additional UDP ports.
The server also supports HTTP FLV for flash on http://www.emitapp.com and Smooth Streaming for WP7 devices. But unfortunately we probably won't be making the WP7 app because you can't sell apps on their marketplace from our country.

Was that audio issue on tablets perhaps? We just got a tablet last week and we noticed a bunch of bugs for honeycomb that we are in the process of fixing.

Many installations have unpnp disabled for security reasons, including mine, unpnp is also broken in many DD-WRT builds. The UDP port range for RTSP makes perfect sense. My primary concern is the ability to choose the port if you want to run multiple Emit servers behind a firewall such as I have for a friend's Qloud installation.

I think the audio issue was was with the HP Touchpad running Gingerbread. I tried testing on my EVO 4G, and the same video works with audio the first time but hitting back to exit the video crashes Emit every single time now.

Edit: Now it doesn't crash on back button, weird.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 25, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Some App Suggestions:

JustPictures! (free)
An awesome and free photo viewer app I use on my phone works great on the tablet (Just Pictures). Works with Picasa, Flickr, Smugmug, Facebook, Photobucket, Windows Live, Tumblr, Deviant Art, Imgur and your SDCARD. I use it a lot for browsing friends Flickr albums.

QuickPic (free)
For viewing local pictures, gallery app sucks this one is much nicer and allows you to hide folders which contain pictures you don't care about.

Browser Alternatives Worth Checking Out:

Opera Mobile (free)
My daily web browser, I like to think of this as the "Chrome" of Android browsers, lightweight, fast and has the most important features you care about. Latest version is a little wonky on some sites with Flash. This for sure is my favorite browser to read the Somethingawful forums with, the text reflow on zoom in works better than any other browse out there.

Boat Browser (free)
Very fast browser with multiple tabs and Flash support. Seems to be the most HTML complaint browser I've used, the only major feature missing is no text reflow. An ideal browser for tablets as text reflow has less relevance. This browser handles Flash sites the best of the competition too.

Maxthon Browser (free, 10" tablet version)
Another fast browser with multiple tabs, I'm just starting to check this one out but have been impressed so far. Keep an eye out for this one.

Dolphin Browser HD (free)
Not as fast as the rest, but for sure the most featurful. I like to think of this as the Firefox of the Android browsers. I use this on sites in conjunction with the Dolphin Lastpass plugin to autofill forms/passwords since I hate typing on my phone.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 25, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
My favorite computer remote control app:

PhoneMyPC

• More like a VNC app (controls interactive desktop) as opposed to RDP which kicks off currently logged in user.
  • Supports Aero on Windows (no more Windows has changed to desktop mode to Basic messages)
  • Easy config to work through firewalls
  • Support multiple monitor switching
  • Fast, even over 3G connections
  • Control pad mode to use it as trackpad with popup keyboard
  • Control processes (used this several times to save my rear end in terminate a process that prevented my desktop UI from being usable) and control windows mode
  • Tablet ready with BT keyboard/mouse support
  • Tons and tons more features

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

zer0spunk posted:

opensignal

streaming to and from a pc/phone:

I use XBMC and its library features so all my shows and films are organized. Then I use Upnplay which acts as either a client or server without transcoding the stream or needing to fully buffer. Upnplay then either prompts me to play the media in XBMC (plays on a tv or pc) or an android media player. Here I use Diceplayer since it's one of the only players that uses HW acceleration for media and has full codec support (ac3, aac, dts, mp3)

every other solution I looked at required running some sort of server and then involved transcoding the stream..this works flawlessly.

Yea, non starter for me as all my devices (and yours) are too weak to play most of my content which is in 1080p, even with Diceplayer's HW acceleration. Also a non starter as 3G, let alone 802.11g can't handle the stream bandwidth needed for such content.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Olewithmilk posted:

Any good free apps for podcasts? Apparently they stopped supporting Google Listen?

This might be of help:

http://www.androidauthority.com/podcatcher-roundup-top-9-best-android-apps-for-playing-podcasts-16817/

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

zer0spunk posted:

Not sure what you mean by this. I can handle just about everything except high bit rate 1080 stuff over g. Over /n and it's fine. My phone has a qualcomm m8660/1 gig of RAM. It's a 960x540 display so playing 1080 content on it is pointless. Sending 1080p content back to another renderer (phone --> xbmc) works.

I haven't tried to use UPnP over 3g, but I'm not sure why you'd want to? If I'm not inside my LAN I'll use ftp instead. The last time I "streamed" something outside of the LAN was at 250~ KBps and it was through a file explorer app. A SD res file worked beautifully, a 720 mkv would eventually hit a buffer point and stop until it caught up..maybe once or twice per 30 minutes. Upnp/dlna isn't the way to go if you're outside the network, but an ftp with enough bandwidth works for sure.

Nice that you have a high end dual core 1.2ghz cpu, most of us don't. Even a Tegra 2 CPU can't handle a lot of 1080p content. The video source resolution shouldn't matter, it is what it is, the video can be 4k video, that doesn't negate the fact I want a way to watch it on lets say a 3" 320x240 device over let say 802.11g. I'm not quite following your ftp "streaming" solution, as far as I know no Android video player I know of can stream from an FTP source and no Android ROM i know of can mount an FTP source as a file system mount. Also trying to stream 9 GB of video over a 250 KBps connection at any acceptable watchable frame rate just wouldn't work. That's why transcoding is done, so you can stream content at a bitrate that's more suitable to your device's capability and available bandwidth.

zer0spunk posted:

Headset Button Control
I had a crapload of earbuds with a one button inline control. Natively android would call the last person in my calllog when I would press it. This program lets you reconfigure exactly what happens based on the length or number of clicks of a button in different programs. Total godsent.

My former housemate will probably have your babies for this one, thanks.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 25, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

zer0spunk posted:

stuff..

If I was interested in streaming SD content I would go back to using my PocketPC. I don't feel like my HP TouchPad and Evo 4G are quite end of life yet, hell I barely reached the one year point on the EVO. And no seek support? No thanks, on a low bandwidth connection loss of signal is almost a guarantee, I don't feel like watching the first 5 minutes of a movie 20 times because I can't seek to where I left off. Also, as stated before most of my content are in bitrates that would cause a 60 minute watching session using the ftp stream method over 3g consist of 55 minutes of buffering and 5 minutes of watching.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

zer0spunk posted:

I don't see why the touchpad couldn't do this with a stable android rom running on it. It's got the hardware for sure. If you're looking to stream 1080p films to your phone or tab over 3g, I really don't know what to say. I think the best you'll get is maybe netflix streaming at a compressed 720p with a bunch of buffering.

Higher then native resolution playback over WAN is a niche thing. I hate to say it. Most people aren't playing 1080p content on a 720 display or under. It's overkill. If you're doing HDMI out on to a 1080p tv or something, how many people are really going to be doing that over 3g or 4g instead wifi? And even then why not just go DLNA/upnp wirelessly to the TV instead? I could see it being an issue once we're all using 1080p tablets, but by then OTA connections should hopefully be 4g and up and 3g becomes what edge/1xrtt is now.

I'm pretty happy with SD, 720p, 1080p playback within a LAN, and then SD and 720p playback outside of LAN with the caveat there being of no playhead control. The tech isn't the bottleneck for 1080p streaming outside of a lan, it's the data connection.

I'm not going to comment beyond this, because it's bringing this thread off topic.

You're providing solutions for problems I don't have. I have content, I want to play that content on multiple targets, it may be my 55" TV over a gigabit connection, it may be on my quad core desktop. I have lots and lots of content. This content is on my NAS. I don't want to re-encode my content before hand for various targets as that would take a very long time, take extra disk space I probably couldn't spare and I wouldn't even know what to pre encode for which target as I don't know what content I may want to watch at any given moment on which device. I use Serviio (DNLA server) with my Samsung TV when I want to watch on that target. And I use a transcoding streamer when I want to play on my phone. The right tool for the right job. I've been working streaming solutions and media since they were first available, I know what works and what doesn't in various scenarios as I've actually tested various solutions extensively across many devices and years.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Amazon free app of the day is OfficeSuite Pro 5 . Might be worth a grab.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 26, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Want to run Android apps on your PC?

Try out BlueStacks:
http://www.bluestacks.com/download.html

Also install BlueStacks cloud Syncer on your Android device to send a copy of apps on your Android device to the PC Player:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bluestacks.appsyncer

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I haven't tried FTP because it's a deprecated protocol (in my book) for anything other than public (anonymous login) servers.

However I do regularly "stream" video over SFTP by running sshfs & FUSE on my phone. It works on any rooted Android phone if you compile/find a "fuse.ko" module for. Folks regularly mount SMB shares with CifsManager which is essentially the same idea.

I know fuse.ko capability exists, does any popular ROM/Kernel include it? I've mounted cifs stuff on phone before, even on WiFi it's slow as poo poo, Samba is a super inefficient protocol. The main point I was making is even if my media were on my SD card my phone/tablet would still be too weak to play them without re-encoding.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 26, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Cool free app:

mozimobi - Send and receive text messages through a web browser.

Been trying this recently and it works quite well. I hate friends who text me because I hate typing on my phone, so this will probably become a must have app for me.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

torjus posted:

In the same vein, DeskSMS makes it possible to send and receive text messages through Google Chat/Talk, the DeskSMS website and a chrome extension. There's even a widget included to control which services you want to sync with.

It's quite fantastic.

This looks cool too, from what I read in the comments this one costs $5 a year?

The Amazon free app of the day, Ghost Radar, is loving idiotic.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 27, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Ozmodiar posted:

What's the best "shopping list" and/or "note taking" app for Android?

I was using Upvise, but it's done nothing but crash on me since I switched to a Nexus S...so I'm looking for something else.

The only two Apps I can think of are Remember the Milk and Evernote...but I've never tried either. And I'd prefer one app that can do both...so I think only Evernote would fit that mold.

Suggestions?

As an alternative to Evernote, I really like Springpad.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Wanted to mention a couple of apps:

ezPDF - Hands down the best pdf viewer for Android.

Perfect Viewer - Mentioned before, but a great CBZ/CBR/etc.. comic reader.

Movies by Flixster - Favorite app to find local movies theaters, show times and trailers.

Network Info II - Lots of great info about your active cell, wifi, etc.. connections.

Fing - Network Tools - Very fast network discovery/scanner info tool, includes tools for Ping, Traceroute, TCP scanner, DNS lookup, WOL and a few other useful tools.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 31, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Kyrosiris posted:

This may be a silly question, but is there anything like Remote Desktop/VNC/LogMeIn for phones that I can have my mom install on her new phone so I can help her with remote troubleshooting? It's a lot easier to help that way than trying to get her to read out error messages and what have you to me. :shobon:

The only way to do this is via a rooted phone and DroidVNC. The reason you need root is Android disallows apps to even take a screenshot of the system let alone stream it out.

Since DroidVNC requires an open port, which sometimes isn't doable. The options available are to have the user VPN into your network, or setup a SSH tunnel. Pretty much all ROMS have built in PPTP & L2TP VPN capability, which can be setup with most Windows flavors. A free VPN solution that might work is NeoRouter (think Hamachi for Android), but I haven't tried it. I have OpenVPN setup on my CM7 ROM, but giving VPN access to any old client is a bit more than I'm willing to do sometimes, so I use a SSH port tunnel.

I setup DroidVNC in combination with ConnectBOT to log into my SSH server (I use Bitvise WinSSHD, it's free for personal use). In the ConnectBot connection configuration I set the following port foward:

Nickname: VNC (can be anything, just a description)
Type: Remote
Source port: 5902 (the port on your SSH server to tunnel to)
Destination: localhost:5901 (the source port on the Android device)

Then, once the user logs into my SSH server, on my desktop I use RealVNC client to connect to 127.0.0.1:5902.

Another tricky thing is DroidVNC hasn't been updated in a while and even though certain keyboard keys are supposed to emulate the soft keys (F1 for menu, Home for Home, Esc for back), sometimes, depending on the device, they don't work. So I use another app, Button Savior (also requires root) to display on screen home/menu/back/search icons.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 1, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
I remember reading somewhere there was a way to decopule an app from the market. I have a certain application I don't want updated (CM7 skin which I don't like the new versions). While it's around on my market apps list I can't use the update all feature which is annoying.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you're rooted, long press the app in Titanium Backup and unlink it from the market.

Thanks! Looks like I needed the Pro version for the unlink feature, just bought it, and it seemed to work fine. Found the app in the list under the Backup/Restore section, long pressed it and chose "Deattach from Market" from the popup menu. I've been getting by with the free version of Titanium Backup for a while, it's a pretty powerful tool but the UI is horribly unintuitive.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 5, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Live a Little posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good app for video podcasts? There's just so many choices coming from iOS. Will especially love something can subscribe or download from the itunes podcast feeds since it seems really popular but I know how apple can be with "their" content.

For iTunes podcasts you probably want doubleTwist:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.doubleTwist.androidPlayer

It's $5, but I'm a fan of DoggCatcher for general video podcasts. Here's a 7-day free trial:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.snoggdoggler.android.applications.doggcatcher.trial

I haven't tried it, but a free alternative that might work is ACast:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mathias.android.acast

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 8, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Gravitom posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Picasa viewer app? I have tons of albums so I need something that can sort multiple ways like alphabetical and by date or to search.

Here's a couple you can give a try:
JustPictures!
PicasaTool

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Swype is the default keyboard on the Sprint Epic Touch 4G (Galaxy S2 Phone) and most people I know who have the phone aren't even aware of the Swype capability, they just peck at it like a normal touch keyboard.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
One of the things I really liked on my TouchPad in WebOS was the keyboard, especially the dedicated numbers row. Closest I can get on Android is the free Hacker's Keyboard, which works fairly well. Another thing I like about Hacker's keyboard is that it doesn't autocapitalize the first letter of a word, on most Android keyboards they do it in a way where if you want the first letter to be lower case it's either a hassle or practically impossible.

GigaPeon posted:

Another Amazon Store question. I got Diner Dash 2 when it was a free app, played it a bit, got a new phone and tried to install it there. Then I saw that the app is now listed as unavailable. (http://www.amazon.com/Glu-Mobile-Inc-Diner-Dash/dp/B004HXHE96)

Since I got it for free, I really don't care, but what about the people who paid for it? How does that bode for things to come?

It's up to the Dev. I've seen a case where a Dev decided not to list his app on Amazon anymore. The dev asked previous purchasers to send him an email / copy of the app purchase receipt to arrange for a copy to be sent.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 15, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
I use Opera Mobile for most my browsing needs, I actually enjoy reading the SA forums more with it than the Awful app, but it's still a little wonky for flash. For Flash content it's either stock for my phone or boat browser on my tablet.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

The Ferret King posted:

Any idea what browser I should use to be able to view The Daily Show videos? I use Opera except for Facebook, where I use my default browser since opera doesn't display it correctly. But neither will play the Daily Show videos that appear on my wall, either from the Facebook site or when navigating from the Daily Show site itself. It kinda tries to load up the ad video before the content, but it doesn't play. Do I need a different browser for every site or am I just looking in the wrong places?

I'm on a sprint evo 3d

Give Boat browser, Dolphin HD and Maxthon a try, all free in the market. Boat doesn't reflow text like Opera does but has been the best browser for flash content in my experience.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a good app to record calls on a SGS2? Ideally it'd integrate into the call menu and work on a manual basis, so I can turn it on when I need to record something I can't be arsed to write down.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.killermobile.totalrecall.s2.trial

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Splizwarf posted:

This came up in conversation yesterday for me too: do the Nexus phones get a free pass on this when they're rooted or do you need to unroot to watch Market movies on them too?

Dunno, but if it's still locked out you can probably do something like this:

http://forum.sdx-developers.com/index.php?topic=16930.0

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Gyshall posted:

I just installed Airdroid. It is a remote app for controlling your phone via web browser. It is the slickest solution I've seen as far as texts right from my computer. Now I don't even have to take my hand off the keyboard!

Nice find, I think I like that better than Remote Web Desktop.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have enough abandoned paid apps littering the My Apps section of the Market to be extremely wary of subscription based purchases on Android.

Here's a not as fancy free SMS from desktop browser app:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.application.Mozimobi

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

ConfusedUs posted:

So, AirDroid

Ran across this in my Google+ stream yesterday and it's the best thing ever. Simple, wireless file transfers. SMS search, send, receive, and group send. Manage apps. Manage running processes. Manage everything.

From your web browser.

It's fast, it's intuitive, and it works better than anything of its kind I've run across.

Oh, and it's free.

It was already mentioned on this very page, and yes it's very cool. I'm sticking with Mozimobi for SMSing from browser as it seems more lightweight as a always running background service and the browser app gives me an audio alert when a new message comes in. I should put that in as a feature request to the AirDroid folks.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

LastInLine posted:

Next time you get something from Amazon just throw five or so on your order. They're like a $1 each on there but it's not worth just ordering the cables.

That or get Amazon prime and get 2-day free shipping on even cheap trivial poo poo.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

LastInLine posted:

The cheapest ones are usually available through stores that sell on Amazon, not Amazon itself. Does Prime's free shipping apply to those too? (I live like a quarter mile from an Amazon distribution center so I get things the day after I order anyway even on Super Saver shipping so I never looked into the details of Prime.)

Stores that sell through Amazon usually don't qualify for prime, but then those stores also don't qualify for super saving shipping for orders $25 and over. Some stores have their own free shipping like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-DC-M400-Wildfire-Supersonic-Incredible/dp/B004T0GHOU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1322535252&sr=8-8

I live in California and when it comes to cables (HDMI, USB, Network) I usually buy from Monoprice which has dirt low prices and $5 one day shipping in California.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

AlexMoron posted:

On the subject of AirDroid and connecting through WiFi, does anyone know of a good USB access point that works on Windows 7 64-bit? On my old XP machine, I'd hacked my Nintendo WiFi USB thing to work with ASUS SoftAP and had great success in connecting to that with my phone and saving a LOT of battery. Ever since I built a new computer with Windows 7, I haven't found a working solution.

I'm sure most people just connect to their router but I'm posting this on the off-chance that someone might know of a trusted device. I'd love to make use of the stuff AirDroid can do.

Why not just get a router with WiFi? Seems like a much more stable and easy to use solution. Routers can be had for dirt cheap.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

AlexMoron posted:

I have one, it just doesn't reach all the way to my room due to there being so many walls in the way. In fact, to get a connection on my PC, I have to be wired in through a switch for it to work. Moving it is not an option, unfortunately.

Other than a range extender or a USB AP, not sure what else I can try.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704044

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
New Google Maps 6.0 was just released, adds indoor navigation for people who can't read IKEA maps:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/29/google-maps-6-0-hits-android-adds-indoor-navigation-for-retail/

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

fudsak posted:

No one can read IKEA maps. Those secret doors are hidden so loving well.

It's on purpose, they design it so you have to loop around their other poo poo before finding an exit, that way you're more likely to browse and impulse buy their other products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Until DicePlayer sorts its poo poo out so it can be purchasable again on the market give BSPlayer Lite (free) a try, it also supports hardware accelerated playback of mkv files with subtitles.

• Locked thread