Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'll agree that LBE is loving stellar. I just wish they had a bit more openness on their part. The only solid comfort I have about it is that it hasn't been ousted from the Market. I sure as poo poo wouldn't install it from anywhere else and even then it's not like the Market has a perfect record.

(I know this is a few pages ago but only just realised there was a new thread)

I asked LBE about their app and when they will bring it a paid version, they told me they will be keeping it free forever, they are using it to increase their reputation to help promote other paid apps they are releasing soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Does widget locker ICS lock screen act and look the same as the one that is coming with ics? As I might just wait and save my money if it does.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Hologram posted:

No, it does not. Source: I've used AOSP ICS on the Nexus S.

Widgetlocker is a great application for getting your lock screen to do exactly what you want.

Awesome, thank you.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Well I've given up on launcher pro ever being updated and have tried go launcher again, it's changed a massive amount since the last time I used it and it is such an improvement.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Is there a music app that can access google music yet? The official app is seriously lacking.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

So, AirDroid

Ran across this in my Google+ stream yesterday and it's the best thing ever. Simple, wireless file transfers. SMS search, send, receive, and group send. Manage apps. Manage running processes. Manage everything.

From your web browser.

It's fast, it's intuitive, and it works better than anything of its kind I've run across.

Oh, and it's free.

Yeah it's amazing, unplugging my charger and bringing it downstairs is always a pain, now I can just monitor my phone from my laptop which is always in the living room.

Now if he could just add certain app support like for what'sapp and g+ messenger it would be perfect.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Nathan Explosion posted:

I've been seeing this more and more on lots of stuff. How long before advertising renders once useful freebies completely useless? It's becoming very frustrating.

Fire a quick email to the dev telling them how you feel. Plenty of devs have reverted ad decisions because of feedback. While it may be ignored it only takes a minute to do.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

SB35 posted:

I downloaded it tried to install. Got a check mark and Application not installed.

Cleared app data and cache. Rebooted. Still a no go. Any suggestions?

It requires root.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

FlyingCheese posted:

Why would you update with 2 completely different app stores anyway?

I get the same problem even when I uninstall the Amazon version. Keeps telling me to "update" it when in reality it's downgrading it to a version well out of date.

I only keep the Amazon market installed because I'm afraid of losing out on the occasion decent free app, although that seems to be less and less of an occurrence these days.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

As I know a lot of you are a little tinfoil hat about LBE Privacy, I recently stumbled upon an open source alternative called PDroid

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1357056

It's pretty good.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I don't like the change from blue to orange.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Shanakin posted:

I agree but on the actual keyboard the only blue>orange change is on the swype logo button. The website and such does feel suddenly garish though.

It's the tracer being orange instead of blue I dislike rather then the logo change.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Wrong thread sorry

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

blargle posted:

Is there any way to disable or remove the "ES" button in Swype? It's in a super prominent spot next to the spacebar and I hit it all the time by accident and change the keyboard to Spanish. Seems odd for something you set once and never change again.

No but you can stop it by switching all the other languages off in options.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Bruce Leroy posted:

I just tried to download Juice Defender for my Nexus One on AT&T and the Market says, "This item isn't available by your carrier."

What the gently caress is that poo poo? I've never seen that message in the nearly two years I've had an android phone.

Is there any way to get around this and get Juice Defender or is there a good alternative app?

I recall other people saying this about AT&T, if I remember right they could get the beta version of juice defender though so try that.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.latedroid.juicedefender.beta

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 8, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

sharktamer posted:

Has anyone tried the Cyanogenmod 9 music player? I haven't been able to install it yet, but it looks pretty ballin. It's just a shame google haven't released the API for google music yet.

It's pretty fantastic, even coming from Ubermusic. It's leaps and bounds better than the default app and I'm really looking forward to where they take it.

For those you can't get it working remember you need ICS and need to uninstall the default app too.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

sharktamer posted:

I'm using MIUI v4, I've uninstalled the default app, but I still can't get it to work.

It says that it's replacing a system application when I try, even though the music app is gone.

I had to restart my phone after uninstalling the default app before it would let me install it, try that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Sarchasm posted:

This doesn't work with Google Music. The Marketplace identifies my phone as Japanese and won't even let me start the download, even if connected through a VPN.

Download the apk and put it straight onto your phone. Then install it from that. You can find it on XDA.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Well if google allowed me to buy music i would. Why they still haven't released it outside of the states makes my brain hurt.

They need to improve the uploader too. It's not had a single update and sucks.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jewce posted:

MSecure Password Manager is on sale for 49 cents. It's obviously cheap enough to not really matter, but is it worth it? I haven't ever used a password manager and don't know how useful it is. I'd rather not get it just cause unless it's really useful.

I use keepass. It works across Android, windows and Linux. I keep the file in dropbox so I can access and keep it synched across everything. It is also free and I believe open source.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

xcore posted:

Anyone use an app for browsing reddit? If so which is the best?
Bacon reader. Free one has ads.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

wrong thread.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 22, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Anti virus programs on Android only protect you against old viruses. They are literally useless unless you download pirate apps off the Internet as Google remove them from the store (and remotely from your device) much quicker than the anti virus companies add them to their programs.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 26, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

What's the point of this? It looks like you take a picture, pick some brightness/contrast settings and then upload it to yet another social media site? Am I missing anything?

It lets people more easily pretend they are photographers if their smart phone has a camera.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but solid explorer is amazing. Now my favourite file manager.

It's currently still beta but very solid already.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solid.explorer

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Google just released updates to almost all their apps.

G+ has left that awful layout it went to in the last update which is nice. Oh and tablet support for the few people who not only have an android tablet but actually use G+.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 28, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I mainly didn't like that I had to click on a post to see what it was. I actually use G+ and have a lot of feeds coming in so it made it really time consuming to go through then on the app before.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'm in a similar boat. Swype had been slowly declining in quality but I can't go back to typing.

New annoyance is they have moved the dot to a different page from the numbers which to me seems completely counter intuitive. I have to hit shift or go back to letters every time I want a decimal point.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Skeezy posted:

If you still care about launchers it looks like ADW Launcher just had a massive update to version :siren:1.3.3.7:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSyfaQoTbmo

I only bought Nova the other day because it had features ADW ex was lacking, if only I'd waited.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

rolleyes posted:

It's working for me in the UK too, although I have a 64gb SD card and PowerAmp so I'm actually not that bothered. I'd rather have Google Voice to be honest.

I'm just pleased to be able to buy online music from one place. I want to avoid amazon and iTunes just isn't an option.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

rolleyes posted:

I'd somehow completely missed the fact that it's a music store as well as a cloud music host / player. :downs:

Now that I know, I might use it for music purchases depending on how it stacks up to other legal MP3 sources.

Google haven't been doing a very good job letting it known to be honest.

I've personally gotten to a time in life where I feel I should start buying up my large pirated back catalog of music. I haven't actually downloaded any music for probably over a year but have been unhappy with the current options to start doing it before now. My ideal would be a music version of steam but Google will have to do.

I still think albums are a little too expensive though.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 13, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'm noticing lots of duplicate albums on the marketplace. Same tracks yet price difference can be as much as £5.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I'm confused as to why someone would prefer to avoid iTunes and Amazon, both of which are far better choices than the Play Store. Even ignoring Google Music's horrible interface, iCloud Match (and I think Amazon has something similar) make having a full library of properly tagged music so easy I can't see a reason anyone would go out of their way to avoid them. Even if I were streaming music from Google's cloud there's still no way I'd actually buy from them until they can scrub my music.

I hate itunes and I don't like how Apple do business. Amazon is a more a preference, I'd rather use Google so everything is in one place, I don't want music stored across different sites and the convenience of buying it from my phone is a huge pull for me.
I have a 32GB card but stream from my Google account all the time to my laptop which doesn't have any music stored on it.

As for tagging, I couldn't care less about it. The player I use can edit the odd song which is wrong.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

FYI, Amazon has a music purchasing/playing/streaming app.

I thought they might but their android store app is so bad I didn't even consider it an option and assumed their music one was too.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 14, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Maybe I'll give them a rethink then. Looking at the site today and they don't look any cheaper though. Yay for inflated UK prices!

Search David Bowie albums on play and they have 11 copies of 1 album at different prices.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

the posted:

FYI, the Time Warner Cable mobile app:

-Requires you disable USB debugging mode (why?)
-Pops up a message saying Live TV doesn't work on rooted devices (wtf?!)

You could in theory record and redistribute the material streamed.

Once again the irrational fear of piracy by media companies makes piracy seem a better option.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

Poweramp is the answer to pretty much every music player question.

Alternatively, Apollo may be worth a shot.

Personally I prefer N7 player.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Edit

Awful app still posting to the wrong threads I see.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 12, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Did the awful app just throw a reply into the wrong thread again? :v:

Yep. I thought that had been fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I use keepass. I open Dropbox, select the file and it downloads the newest version of the log and auto opens it.

I see no advantages of last past to justify the price. Keepass is also open source and free.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 21, 2012

• Locked thread