Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Couch Life posted:

I don't know what's up with Widgetlocker but whenever I use it it takes like 2-4 seconds before I can actually unlock the phone. This doesn't happen with the stock lockscreen so I'm at a loss. Running a version of CM7 on Thunderbolt but it's happened with different ROMs as well.

It brought my stock HTC Merge to a crawl.

Sure did look cool, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Everyone was discussing launchers not too long ago, but I didn't see anybody mention Circle Launcher.

I was a huge fan of LPP, and then I switched over to Go Launcher which made my phone slow as gently caress and just made me frustrated.

I went back to Sense and put one circle dock in the middle of my main screen with a bunch of useful apps and I loving love it. It's blazing fast and super simple. I even made the icon transparent so it just looks like there's nothing there but wallpaper. I've also thrown in a couple of other circle docks on surrounding screens sorted by category.

How can I take screenshots of my phone without root?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Are there any music players that support song ratings? (stars)

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Orkut Users posted:

What's the best weather app/widget out there? I'm not a big fan of the vanilla htc one on my incredible 2.

Secx posted:

Best stock watcher app and/or widget?

I've been using WeatherBug Elite ever since I got my first Android phone and I still love it.

You can make the widget transparent, and the app has lots of info (sunrise & set for example).

Awesome.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Has anyone been happy making a switch from an ipod to using an android as an mp3 player?

I'm wondering what software is best for syncing and maintaining a tidy library both on the device and a PC, audiobooks, podcasts, etc.

Doubletwist?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

So 1weather is getting on my tits now too. It randomly won't update the radar when it refreshes, even when I manually tell it to, and it shows weather alerts for counties 50-100 miles north of me, but not the one I'm in. Is it too much to ask for a weather app that isn't horribly broken in some way?

Have you tried WeatherBug?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

The camera in the Instragram application is trash, especially if you have a high-end phone. The camera can't focus worth a dill. Just use your stock camera application and then share it to Instagram instead.

Did you tap the screen before tapping the camera shutter button?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Healbot posted:

Instagram is pretty cool to piss off hipster idiots. It's lacking a real purpose otherwise.

I don't get it. Is that the whole article? Just a headline?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I had a Note for a week and on four separate occassions, I had random people in public stop and ask me what it was. One lady kept saying "Oh, that's a tiny iPad you can draw own."

Why only a week? Did you not like it?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

My old phone was an HTC Magic, and the virtual keyboard had these two handy features
A) After hitting space, the word suggestion bar would show up with some punctuation (which it would then apply before the space). This made typing sentences a bit easier and was a joy
B) Choosing a word via word suggestion would put a space after the chosen word

Now I have the Samsung Galaxy S II, which comes with two virtual keyboards. The default, Swype, doesn't do A or B, nor can I find an option to turn on either of these features, so Swype just sucks. The simpler Samsung keyboard doesn't do A.

Anyone have a good virtual keyboard recommendation? I'm rooted if that matters

Swiftkey does all of that. And it's fantastic.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

fuf posted:

Thanks I'll check it out.

Ended up buying Apex pro because it does the unread icon thing.

Posting my homescreen because I just wasted two hours on it:

How did you make the system, media, games shortcut thingys?

Thats a really slick homescreen.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Does anyone know a way to entirely disable the Night Mode in Gentle Alarm?

Or, are there recommendations for a better alarm app? Feels like Gentle Alarm is a little too overwhelming.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
A few weeks ago there was a (new?) app released which would tell you what changed when your apps got updated. If I remember correctly, it basically just collected all the changelogs into one nice easy screen instead of having to go through each apps page on the Play Store.

Trying to search for this app is impossible.

Anyone remember what it was?

Also, I'm still looking for recommendations on replacing Gentle Alarm with an alarm app that's reliable and has a decent looking interface.

Edit: Yes! Thank you! VVV

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 31, 2012

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
For those of you having trouble with beWeather, I'd just like to point out that Weatherbug Elite is still awesome.

I think I've tried just about every weather app there is and I always come back to WeatherBug. I've been using it for years, ever since I got my first android phone.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

I just can't bring myself to install an app that had a history installing ad/malware on computers. I'm sure they've changed since then, but I don't trust the company.

I thought that too when I was first looking at weather apps years ago and after reading the reviews and the permissions I grabbed it. They quit doing that stuff a long time ago.

I've found weatherbug's forcasts to be much more accurate than other weather apps, just like NOAA's website seems to be more accurate than all the others (I always thought accuweather was the worst.)

And weatherbug's radar is excellent.

Glad you got beWeather working for you, though. It certainly looks super pretty.

edit: your username is awesome.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I use Notes on my iPhone all the time-- what's the defacto note taking app for Android tablets?

I know you guys probably get that question a lot, but I didn't see it in the OP, and I just got my first Android device (Nexus 7) this afternoon.

Also, I have about $22 from my purchase of the tablet left in my Google Play account (the only thing I've bought so far is BeWeather). Anything I should grab utility wise that costs money?

Evernote?

Swiftkey is the best keyboard.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Pulse is awesome, but doesn't have a "mark all read" button which is both retarded and a deal-breaker for me.

What are you guys using instead?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Is PowerAmp still the go-to 3rd party music player?

For a tablet?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

I too was sick of forecast widget bullshit, so I added my local weather forecast as a calendar overlay to my Google Calendar. This has had the bonus effect of reminding me about my upcoming plans when I check the weather.

Thanks, goon that suggested it in this thread like a year ago. :tipshat:

How did you set that up?

Edit: apex launcher updated itself last night and now I am hosed.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 24, 2012

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

WebDO posted:

Go to your settings in the calendar, input your location and turn the weather overlay to your preferred units. I had no idea this existed, but holy poo poo is it amazing.

My sgs3 doesn't have that.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Set the correct location first, then:

That's awesome. Thanks.

I guess today is a good day to try out Nova and see how I like it compared to Apex.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Lando2 posted:

I switched from blackberry about a month ago. Now I need something to transfer all my notes and memos I have saved on that phone to this one. Any suggestions?

I've got an S3

Turn them into evernote items?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

explosivo posted:

NFC tags came today, and I gotta say, just in the hour I've been loving with them I'm pretty impressed. I haven't even had to use Tasker, NFC Task Launcher is just so good. Now I just need to start coming up with some uses for these things outside of the standard 'car mode in the car, silent with wifi at work, alarm on your nightstand' kind of stuff.

I'm really hoping I can wipe my phone over my front door and have my Philips Hue lights turn on or off.

The Hue bulbs are super cool but they've got a long way to go.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good HTPC control app? Setting up a Windows 8 HTPC and was wondering if there was anything worth looking into.

Did you try Unified Remote? Or the Official XBMC Remote?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Krad posted:

So, I'm looking for an app/widget that can keep track of specific TV shows and tell me when the next episodes will air. Any recommendations?

TV Show Favs is very cool.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Well the thing is, I dont want to upload and stream from google, I just want to to listen to music from my computer, which has more songs than google music will allow for upload. Also, as for the CC thing, I just signed in the a gmail and it wasnt an issue anymore (I was accidentally logged in with my yahoo email).

EbolaIvory posted:

I use 2 Google accounts to make that happen. Well, I mean for space reasons. I like streaming, and the pin option does exist to play music without streaming. Works great.

Wouldn't it be easier to use subsonic?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Kii keyboard just updated and now it's just crashing. :( (SGS3, stock derived rom)

I ran it for a few days and loved the customization of it, but SwiftKey has spoiled me with its killer text prediction and I doubt I can ever use anything else.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

xcore posted:

Is there a TV schedule app that is basically just a list of reminders on a calender style interface that just lists the show and episode name/number and nothing else? I don't want TV streaming functionality, celebrity gossip, news, cast details etc. I just want a list of shows and when they are airing. Preferably free, but i will pay a couple of bucks if i don't have to stare at ads.

Is there also one for movie/DVD releases?

Doesn't TV Show Favs do this?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

CancerStick posted:

Are there alternatives to Google Reader for RSS? Cause uh...

https://www.theverge.com/2013/3/13/4101144/google-shuts-down-reader-rss-aggregation-service

Also, the source.

googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-second-spring-of-cleaning.html

what in all of the fucks

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

dik-dik posted:

That said, I really wish the SA forums had RSS.

They do. And they're awesome.

Also http://www.somethingawful.com/d/directory.php

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Is Nova still the go-to launcher?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

bronin posted:

What weather apps do you guys use? I used to have the wetter.com app but tried out the new accuweather and weatherbug apps yesterday. They both look a lot nicer than the wetter.com app. I settled for weatherbug but I'm still kinda on the fence because every weather site/app shows different temps/forecasts.

I keep trying every new weather app that's released but I always go back to WeatherBug. It's one of the first apps I installed on my first android phone years ago. WeatherBug uses the weather information gathered from weather.gov (NOAA) which for me has always had the most accurate forecasts. Everything else I've tried might have some cool gimmicks or an awesome interface but they use the weather channel or accuweather, neither of which I've ever found to be very accurate.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

the kawaiiest posted:

Twicca is the best imho.

I still can't figure out how to get Twicca to remember my position on my timeline. When it loads new tweets it always jumps up to the very top no matter what I have set in the timeline settings menu. It also jumps to the top if I view someone's profile.

Other than that, I love it.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
WeatherBug got a big update and it's super good.

Still the best weather app available.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
According to the spreadsheet, some of you still have invites for Aviate left to hand out. There's some folks at the bottom of that list who would really enjoy one, if you wouldn't mind checking in on that.

Thanks!

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Is there a go-to "manage my collection of <x>" app?

I'm actually wanting to keep a database of pipe tobacco reviews, but no such app exists. There's a few for cigars but not pipe tobacco.

I'm currently using either a google docs doc or an evernote note, which isn't too bad.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Siroc posted:

Velis autobrightness or Lux (or others)?

These look the same?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I use Lux on my Nexus 7 and love it. The night mode it borrows from the PC f.lux is especially cool.

There's a couple dozen apps with Lux in the title, which are you guys talking about?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

I kind of like it, but I don't think I'd use it without a widget. I like my news feeds right on my homescreen. The app itself seems nice though, certainly better than Currents.

Mind if I ask how you get your news and how it's set up?

I subscribe to a couple car magazines, some pipe tobacco stuff, some local stuff, a couple music websites, android stuff, and a few general news sources and there's no way I could manage it all and what I have and haven't read without something like feedly + gReader.

I just don't see how I could manage it all with a widget unless I was checking in on it every 10 minutes.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
A lot of folks are recommending PowerAmp, but I wanted to toss Player Pro out there, as I preferred it over PowerAmp.

Give it a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Edit: All gone.

I've got four Aviate invites left, anyone want em?

Play store link.

I just started trying it out again a couple days ago, and it seems just brilliant. It's kind of helping me get over my compulsion to constantly tweak my home screens.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 6, 2013

• Locked thread