Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Critical posted:

Not throwing the ball terrible, but did a lot of work tonight on my consistency. Here's a video of how bad my fat rear end is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ChdvqHtaGQ

Bunch of poo poo to work on but the ball is passing through my left pant leg on my release 75% of the time. Also sorry about the vertical video, my friend brought a tripod with a vertical jig on it.

Your pants are too baggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

RisqueBarber posted:

Your pants are too baggy

Laundry day. Also I'm wearing a knee brace under them and they were easy to throw on. And I'm seasonally unemployed, they're lucky I didn't show up in PJs.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Well getting ready to head to a couple of tournaments this weekend. These will be the first in a long time since my part time job has been keeping me from bowling too many tournaments, but I quit that job last week so I'm good to go now. Anyway, there's a little 4 game sweeper tonight and then a big tournament the next day in the same house with 2500 going to first place. I'm pretty excited, I feel confident I can win this thing.

The Man The Legend
Dec 17, 2006
Cheer up, the worst is yet to come
Not even sure why I bothered with a Tuesday league this year... between all the storms (which have conveniently hit on bowling days) and the holidays, I've bowled once since the beginning of December. Ugh.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Well our oiler finally got "fixed." Could definitely tell a difference, but still took me a long time to find a line that worked. Topped out at 211, which was nice, but god drat those first two games were annoying.

On the plus side Bill Murray complimented my bowling :shobon:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Oh hi guys. Whats going on? Nothing much. Just shot my first 300. In a NEBA. You know, no big deal.

First time ever getting to the tenth and I was shaking like a dog making GBS threads peach seeds. Made three excellent shots though. Feels good to get the monkey off my back since I was pretty much the only NEBA guy without one.

Still planning on rebooting the thread. New job and a shitload of bowling has gotten in the way but it's coming.

The Man The Legend
Dec 17, 2006
Congrats - what a stage to do it on, too!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Critical posted:

Oh hi guys. Whats going on? Nothing much. Just shot my first 300. In a NEBA. You know, no big deal.

First time ever getting to the tenth and I was shaking like a dog making GBS threads peach seeds. Made three excellent shots though. Feels good to get the monkey off my back since I was pretty much the only NEBA guy without one.

Still planning on rebooting the thread. New job and a shitload of bowling has gotten in the way but it's coming.

Nice! Congrats!

The past month or so was super frustrating in my league but I think I've finally figured out this ball and our pattern. So let's just hope nothing changes anytime soon.

Our league has gotten pretty drat popular at the club, which is great. They opened up the league to non-members (as long as a member kind of "sponsors" them) and it's made a world of difference. The guy running the proshop there has been making BANK because everyone is wanting their own ball, and most of them have money to burn. The only downside is that they have absolutely no lane courtesy...

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I made a new years resolution to bowl a 300 this year. I average 180 and the closest I've come is 7 in a row and one or two of those were bad shots that just happen to fall. On the 8th frame I just choked and had bad balance. Are you guys adjusting if you're throwing strikes? Say you've got 4 in a row but you noticed your last ball was a little off, do you move ahead of the oil or just go with what works until you miss?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

RisqueBarber posted:

I made a new years resolution to bowl a 300 this year. I average 180 and the closest I've come is 7 in a row and one or two of those were bad shots that just happen to fall. On the 8th frame I just choked and had bad balance. Are you guys adjusting if you're throwing strikes? Say you've got 4 in a row but you noticed your last ball was a little off, do you move ahead of the oil or just go with what works until you miss?

You should always adjust if you think you throw a really good ball where you wanted to throw it and something different happened, even if the end result was a strike.

e: The adjustment may not need to be much at all since you are close, but it will help you keep getting strikes. You should never keep forcing bowling balls down the lane that you think might leave something.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 21, 2014

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You should always adjust if you think you throw a really good ball where you wanted to throw it and something different happened, even if the end result was a strike.

e: The adjustment may not need to be much at all since you are close, but it will help you keep getting strikes. You should never keep forcing bowling balls down the lane that you think might leave something.

Agreed. Things to look for in a strike where you may want to move: A flat 10 (or 7 for a lefty) that gets a messenger to take it out, the 7 pin falling late, the ball hitting the 8 (or 9 for a lefty) pin in the face on the way through the rack, or a trip 4.

"Mixer" strikes are pattern dependent. On a sport shot I usually don't adjust off them because the lane may break down further and it will be flush in a few shots and it means I have some tug room. On house where striking is at a premium I'll move a board right.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
What's the typical move you would make for a trip 4? I got a ton this past week, and was too hesitant to move off of a strike.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Well, I have a high strike percentage on light hits, so I have no problem moving a board in off of a trip 4. I suppose an alternative would be to move back on the approach. You will take bigger steps, making your body move a bit faster and thus making you throw the ball faster.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Scarf posted:

What's the typical move you would make for a trip 4? I got a ton this past week, and was too hesitant to move off of a strike.

One board left, usually. If the lanes are scorched I'll move 2 to keep ahead of the eventual quick transition.

I think of a trip 4 as warning shot. Stay on that same line without moving you're eventually looking at a 4-6-7-10 or something similar. I'm just happy I struck and can make an adjustment off it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Cool, thanks! I'm sure I'll have a chance to put that to use tonight.

edit: By the way, anyone had a chance to see the new Zero Gravity in action yet?

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 24, 2014

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I've seen a friend of mine throw it. It seems earlier and smoother than the Marvel-S with a little less overall hook. Both balls had the same drill.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Last week at league during the 3rd game my Storm Fusion pretty much stopped breaking all together. I watched it rotate and rotate all the way down the lane but once it hit the end boards the ball wouldn't curve. Do you suppose I should give it a deep cleaning? My lanes don't have the ability to bake the ball so what should I try. I started throwing my virtual gravity and was fine but it was a mystery to me why my ball stopped moving.

Also in the market for a new ball and not sure what I want. Any suggestions?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Whale Cancer posted:

Last week at league during the 3rd game my Storm Fusion pretty much stopped breaking all together. I watched it rotate and rotate all the way down the lane but once it hit the end boards the ball wouldn't curve. Do you suppose I should give it a deep cleaning? My lanes don't have the ability to bake the ball so what should I try. I started throwing my virtual gravity and was fine but it was a mystery to me why my ball stopped moving.

Also in the market for a new ball and not sure what I want. Any suggestions?

I think your suppose to give your a ball deep cleaning around every 100 games. My pro-shop seems lovely though so don't quote me on that.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

RisqueBarber posted:

I think your suppose to give your a ball deep cleaning around every 100 games. My pro-shop seems lovely though so don't quote me on that.

I live in a small town and all our pro shop is awful. I think when they drill balls it's to fit your fingers and whatever generic drill pattern they can come up with.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
For anyone who didn't see it: The Rise and Fall of Professional Bowling

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Bowled my first 600 series :getin: I feel like I got extremely lucky though. My average has been around 170 for the last year or so.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Our USBC rep and house manager said he's trying to organize a PBA Experience sport league this summer. I really hope we can get enough interest in it. I've yet to try a sport league :ohdear:

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
Can anyone recommend me a ball? I moved to Arizona and didn't have room in my Jeep to bring any of my bowling equipment. I need a ball that hooks hard. I have a very powerful arm but for whatever reason I can't get down leaving my thumb in the hole and releasing it. I only put my thumb half way in which makes my powerful arm useless. I know its a completely subjective thing but any advise would be appreciated. I had a Brunswick 3.5 C System before I moved, it was drilled by a well respected guy but I hated the ball. I'm looking for something with a more grippy coverstock? If that makes any sense. My average was 140 in my league last year so I'm no pro but I want to get a good ball and start practicing on my game. My budget is about $200

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Guru Yaekob posted:

Can anyone recommend me a ball? I moved to Arizona and didn't have room in my Jeep to bring any of my bowling equipment. I need a ball that hooks hard. I have a very powerful arm but for whatever reason I can't get down leaving my thumb in the hole and releasing it. I only put my thumb half way in which makes my powerful arm useless. I know its a completely subjective thing but any advise would be appreciated. I had a Brunswick 3.5 C System before I moved, it was drilled by a well respected guy but I hated the ball. I'm looking for something with a more grippy coverstock? If that makes any sense. My average was 140 in my league last year so I'm no pro but I want to get a good ball and start practicing on my game. My budget is about $200

A little over your budget but the Brunswick Mastermind is the most aggressive ball out right now. If the extra $50 is too much I have a Brunswick Meanstreak Beatdown that I love that's very strong as well.

Edit: All the C-Systems were garbage but Brunswick has stepped up their game a ton in the last couple years. Storm is probably still the most popular brand but Brunswick/DV8 stuff has surpassed all the EBI stuff in quality in my opinion.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Seconding the Mastermind if you want something strong. I just drilled one a month ago and it is pretty incredible.

Also you can currently get it from bowling.com for $135 and then take it to your local pro shop for a drilling. Should be under $200 total cost for you.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 21, 2014

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
We had payout tonight and snagged 8th place team, 3rd place handicap team series, 4th place individual handicap series and most improved female bowler with an improvement of 23 pins.

I have never won a proper award before. My most improved keychain is going on the bookcase next to my bf's rings and trophies. :colbert:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

So the US Open was cancelled this year for a revamp and has since been canned for next year because they can't attract any sponsors.

loving depressing. I'm finally throwing the ball well enough that I may be able to get my PBA card based on my sport shot average and if it keeps going this way there may not even be a PBA anymore.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Double post for personal news.

Went to Massachusetts State tournament today. Went in with a 183 average which was from a league I subbed in last year. A few Kegel recreation (house) shots and like 1 challenge shot. This was before I got a new grip and equipment and before I put major work in on my game.

Last week someone posted a 2618 Handicap score for all events, which was immediately claimed untouchable.

721 in doubles, 722 in singles, 726 in teams. 2628 Handicap all events. Which was awesome, until I was threatened with a DQ on the spot because I was obviously sandbagging. Some people from other teams went to bat for me though, claiming my improvement and that my average was not indeed bullshit.

This house is producing monster scores at the moment anyway. 846 leading Scratch singles, 932 leading handicap singles. I think I'm in 4th in Handicap singles and 21st in scratch with a 721 which is asinine. Didn't get a sniff on doubles or teams. The moral of the story is don't put out loving tit house shots for state tournaments. Hell, USBC Red is better than that.

The Man The Legend
Dec 17, 2006
Sounds like the open is back on for 2015, at least. It's a start.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Man The Legend posted:

Sounds like the open is back on for 2015, at least. It's a start.

Ehh, I kinda read it more as it hasn't been cancelled, yet... But then, I'm a cynic :\

Mad Cow Fred
Oct 18, 2010

10% beef, 90% crazy
Whoa, there's actually a bowling thread. I had been struggling with hand pain over the last few years, with the local pro shop guy telling me that there was nothing wrong with my gear. Went to someone else, found out that my span, finger distance and ALL of my pitches were off. Ended up getting some new gear, haven't had hand pain in 5-6 months now :downsbravo:

I've mostly been throwing a Storm Code Black (international release), anyone have any advice on what to look at for a similar look on heavier oil? I'd like to get back in to tournaments and I feel comfortable enough with my hand to put some more money into new gear. Hard to get reasonable suggestions locally since, well, Australia.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Just bowled in the Petersen for the 10th consecutive year since I'm a glutton for punishment. AMF Bolingbrook is even more of a shithole than AMF Hoffman Estates.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Tied for first place, won a no-tap tournament, and new personal high of 287 and a 737 series (granted it was no-tap, but I only had 2 no-tap strikes across the series).

It was a good night. Summer doubles league starts Wednesday, and summer sport league starts June 2.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Devo posted:

Just bowled in the Petersen for the 10th consecutive year since I'm a glutton for punishment. AMF Bolingbrook is even more of a shithole than AMF Hoffman Estates.

I might be going down there for the first time in August.

I bowled nationals a few weeks ago and bowled really well. I shot 2,038 All-Events: 639 Team, 689 Doubles, 710 Singles. Our team shot 3,170 and in doubles my partner and I ended up with 1,343, which was good for 26th place as we were leaving. I am hoping it stays top 50, but we are back to 38th currently. It was my first time out there with a team and people that were actually good bowlers and it was a great time. Onto El Paso next year!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I might be going down there for the first time in August.

The guy who always places first in our squad and has hit top 100 a few times swears by a conventionally drilled urethane ball for spares and some of the tougher dry lanes. One of these years I'm going to stop being cheap and get one drilled up. Also the inside of AMF Bolingbrook isn't quite as bad as the outside makes it look (and hoo boy it looks bad), but man do I miss that nice bar in Hoffman Estates. Had like 20 of us crowded around a 32 inch TV trying to watch the Blackhawks while we were waiting for squad money to get paid out.

Mad Cow Fred
Oct 18, 2010

10% beef, 90% crazy
My Tuesday league is still limping along - Australia seems to just do year-round leagues with a 3-4 week break over Xmas, so we're up to week 30 of 34 right now and a new season will start as soon as we finish. Threw 725 (268-247-210) tonight with no open frames, pretty happy with that :v: Third game I left a 7 pin, 2 8 pins, and 2 9 pins. Probably should have moved left to get away from the "4 bowlers shooting the same area" mess, oh well.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Started our summer doubles 2+2 league last night (2 games vs. one team, switch lanes, 2 games vs. another). Love this format; fast-moving and you get into a good rhythm but you don't get too rushed. Don't remember all of my scores but I averaged 217 for the night. I know I had 223 the first game... went the front 7 and then left the last 3 open with double-wood splits :suicide:

edit: Also, looks like Storm put out a solid version of the Hy-Road. As much as I'd like to give the Zero Gravity a shot, I could really use a strong symmetrical ball... I may have to jump on this.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 22, 2014

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Started the summer PBA Sport League tonight on the Cheetah pattern. Only doing 9 weeks so we're doing a 2+2 format here as well. Went 141-155 on the first set, and 167-169 on the second. Really fun, despite being really loving difficult. We're going to be doing 3 weeks on Cheetah, 3 weeks on Viper, and 3 weeks on Shark.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Scarf posted:

Started the summer PBA Sport League tonight on the Cheetah pattern. Only doing 9 weeks so we're doing a 2+2 format here as well. Went 141-155 on the first set, and 167-169 on the second. Really fun, despite being really loving difficult. We're going to be doing 3 weeks on Cheetah, 3 weeks on Viper, and 3 weeks on Shark.

Why do places only do this in the drat summer. I want a sport league for all 33 weeks of the normal bowling season. I take off in the summer and don't bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Why do places only do this in the drat summer. I want a sport league for all 33 weeks of the normal bowling season. I take off in the summer and don't bowl.

In the past, at least around here, no one was interested in it aside from a very small number of bowlers. Newer bowlers were too intimidated by it, and the old-timers who had their 200 avg. on the house shot didn't want to try anything difficult.

League bowling has had a bit of a resurgence around here. I've gotten a good dozen friends involved in the last year alone, and they're all absolutely loving it. Some of them just enjoy it as a weekly social activity with some fun competition, others are diving into the deep-end and really getting into it as a sport. That latter group is growing more and more, so I think now is the first time in a while where it's actually been feasible to run a sport league here. We have 18 bowlers in it, which surprised everyone. We were expecting maybe 10-12 tops.

I think if this goes well enough, we might be able to try it in the fall, at least for a "half" season. But our house is super small, and during the rest of the year every night is taken up by another league.

• Locked thread