Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

buffto posted:

I bowled in my summer league last night and for the most part it was a pretty humdrum night for me (226-181-208-225). However, I managed to pick up the 7-10 split in the middle of all that. Hit the 10 pin square and it popped out of the pit and tagged the 7.

drat, very nice. That's like my last "achievement" I have left!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Man The Legend
Dec 17, 2006
Cheer up, the worst is yet to come
Summer league's been weird for me this year. Average is higher than it's ever been (205) but the lanes have been crazy inconsistent week to week. A ball that's working in practice doesn't work when the game starts, my spare game goes from stellar to awful, back to everything strikes - just strange. Anyone else looking forward to fall leagues already?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am starting in a work league in a few weeks. I read the OP, but I am a dumb goon who needs poo poo in clear black and white.

As a novice bowler with weak arms, what would you guys suggest as a ball?

As the local bowling centers don't have any real pro shops, I was just going to use bowlingball.com

Any help at all would be appreciated. On the last page someone recommended the Storm Rocket, would that work for me?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
We just had the lanes and approaches resurfaced. Usually I'm a big proponent of bowling on wood, but holy hell newly resurfaced wood is loving STRONG. I wish I had a urethane ball in my bag.

Also cleaning out the machines after the resurface was a loving pain in the rear end. There was sawdust on EVERYTHING.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

dexefiend posted:

I am starting in a work league in a few weeks. I read the OP, but I am a dumb goon who needs poo poo in clear black and white.

As a novice bowler with weak arms, what would you guys suggest as a ball?

As the local bowling centers don't have any real pro shops, I was just going to use bowlingball.com

Any help at all would be appreciated. On the last page someone recommended the Storm Rocket, would that work for me?

Any low end ball with fingertip grips will do basically the same thing. Pick one in the colors you like. Also go to a pro shop if at all possible because honestly using bowlingball.com and then paying the $30-$50 to have it drilled can't be much cheaper than buying a ball and having it drilled in the shop for free. And then you don't have to deal with the hassle of shipping that heavy rear end thing back if something is wrong. Your local pro shop can and will work with you to make sure everything is good.

I'm making the goon 90/10 assumption that you're male? Don't go below 14 pounds even if you think you're a weakling. You'll be able to throw a properly drilled ball that's a few pounds heavier than whatever house ball crap you've been throwing. It's amazing the difference a good fit can make. And have fun!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Thanks. There is a pro shop at the bowling alley that didn't close yesterday...

I am going to go there tomorrow with my wife and leave with gear for both of us.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Devo posted:

Also go to a pro shop if at all possible because honestly using bowlingball.com and then paying the $30-$50 to have it drilled can't be much cheaper than buying a ball and having it drilled in the shop for free. And then you don't have to deal with the hassle of shipping that heavy rear end thing back if something is wrong. Your local pro shop can and will work with you to make sure everything is good.

I always buy online and then go to a pro shop, it is at least $50 cheaper every single time and I have never had anything wrong with a ball. Getting it drilled in the shop for "free" is nice, but it isn't really free because of the huge markup on the ball in the pro shop. That's how it is around my area at least. These are higher end balls I am talking about, by the way.

Edit: On second thought thought, definitely go to a pro shop for your first ball. The pro guy should be helpful and nice and be very informative on things you had no idea about.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 28, 2015

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah it's a little different if you know what you want. If you're just ordering random cheap poo poo online with no clue you could get some hosed up reject with a 6 inch pin placement or something. And my local pro shop is pretty reasonable with their prices but I could see some places jacking it way up.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Playoff tournament is tonight, we have the two seed. If we win our first round match we'll likely play our biggest rivals. We gotta do this.

Seeding is incorrect in the image but:

EDIT: Extinguished first opponents. Rivals are getting clobbered by nerds. IT'S HAPPENING

EDIT2: on to the finals, first time ever, against a team we really like. This owns.

Poque fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 30, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
We didn't pull it off, but I'll settle for 2nd. Two of us bowled our asses off but our anchor shat the bed, we were bowling a man down, and the other team bowled awesomely.

BUT!

Poque posted:

Goals for the season:
  • Maintain 160+ average
  • Throw first 200 game with new ball/throw
  • 550 series (600 as a stretch)
  • Win the league

1. Yup, went in with a 159 today and came out with a 161
2. Close. Max 193 on the season but was much more consistent on the whole
3. Got it tonight (554), not a bad way to finish out the season
4. ALMOST

Great season. Glad for a break til October.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Finally got my ball from our summer league, a Brunswick Melee Jab. Definitely more hook than my DV8 Hooligan, but I'm figuring it out. Also was not prepared to see a balance hole drilled in it! First ball I've ever had with one.

We start our new league season this Friday, so here are my goals for the year:
Maintain or improve the 145 average I set over the summer league (considering I ended with a 131 from last season, I'm pleased)
Have a clean game
Get a 500 series (I almost did with a 499 this summer, but the league wasn't sanctioned so it wouldn't have mattered anyway)
Get a 200+ game.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm in the UK and I've gotten into bowling a lot lately, to the point where I want to keep going and practice. I bowled 150 the other day which is poo poo but literally only took ten minutes of YouTube videos to get to that from the 100 average that most public bowlers who go once a year get. Is there anyone UK-based I can direct my questions to?

Mostly pertaining to buying a ball and whether lanes in the UK are worse quality than the US. I mean, does your average retail park actually get looked after in this country?

Luckily a lot of lanes have shops attached so I can hopefully get a ball and get them to drill it for me there.

For reference I'm in Edinburgh.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Out of curiosity, anyone on association boards? I was appointed to a director position (to fill a spot, and a niche of social media coordinator), and am being tasked with raising awareness as our numbers are dwindling across all of our leagues (but especially the women's numbers). I have a few ideas to get more visibility such as bowl-a-thons for charities and helping sponsor/put on events for groups doing their own fundraising events AT the houses, but was wondering if anyone has experience with running any programming or events to gain interest for upcoming seasons? Our WBA has never really had someone in a position like this so I'm having to make it up as I go, and I feel like there are people out there who have done this sort of thing before that would be able to give guidance!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm not on any boards but I've been around all of them for a long time. I'd concentrate on youth bowling first and foremost. Youth bowlers who are still bowling through high school become adult bowlers. As for getting women bowlers, good luck. Every time I managed to get a couple fun new teams into a league the old crones that have been bowling in it forever would run them out within a year or two.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Got my ball spinner delivered today. Woop woop. This is great because now I can keep up on maintaining the surface of my bowling balls myself. All of the pro shops around here are essentially part time and only available on an on call basis or 30 minutes or so before league starts, so I always felt like I was being a pain even asking for a polishing, let alone a full resurface. A couple of my bowling balls really needed this done. I'm still waiting for my polish to be delivered, so I could only do the ones with a dull finish at this point.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Devo posted:

I'd concentrate on youth bowling first and foremost.

Oddly enough I got put on the youth committee as well. Luckily the gal that is also on it has a son in youth league so she at least knows what is up! You make a super good point though.

Devo posted:

Every time I managed to get a couple fun new teams into a league the old crones that have been bowling in it forever would run them out within a year or two.

THIS SO MUCH THIS. We've had a few younger faces show up in our league (both female and male) but the "elders" as we lovingly call them (please get the sarcasm in that) are horrible about that sort of thing.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Just got done bowling in a couple of PBA regionals the past two weekends. Feasted on a giant plate of dicks in the first one. Started out great in the second one for the first two games (was 5th out of 59 after two games, ahead of such bowlers as Patrick Allen, Tommy Jones, Lonnie Waliczek, and Rick Steelsmith) before grinding out 4 mediocre games and then having the wheels come off in the last two games. But at least there was some positive to take from that tournament. Anyway, I saw that there were a lot of people throwing the Roto Grip Haywire. Dear god that ball is ugly. Ugly as sin. I mean, it worked great for the people throwing it, but Jesus God and Heaven was it ugly.

Here's a pic for reference.

Since this thread needs a bit more activity, I say you people should chime in and post a ball you think is really god drat ugly.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I started up bowling again this year (I was in a league from 2007-2009, so I'm a bit out of practice). I've had a ~105 average so far this season, and finally decided to get my own ball today and have it drilled properly, and I gotta say, it feels great. Wound up with a Storm Tropical Breeze black cherry. Wound up bowling a 107-154-126 right away, with a lot of time spent just getting used to having something that fits me, but it's definitely a lot easier to throw and pick up spares with. Pumped for the rest of the season now (and for working on my release so I'm a bit more consistent)

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I'm a big consumer whore for Storm and have been for 7 or 8 years. The Tropical Breeze is an excellent starter ball. It will hook a considerable amount once you learn to throw it, but it is very controllable. However, that was not an ugly ball. What the hell, man?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My ball's ugly because it looks like a house ball :(

I managed to bowl a 243 the last time I was out. I've only got over 200 three times (212 being the highest) before then, so I was pretty psyched. It's really nerve-wracking throwing strike after strike when you're used to getting two or three per game usually.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
you get used to that eventually.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

buffto posted:

I'm a big consumer whore for Storm and have been for 7 or 8 years. The Tropical Breeze is an excellent starter ball. It will hook a considerable amount once you learn to throw it, but it is very controllable. However, that was not an ugly ball. What the hell, man?

Well here's a pic of my old ball (I still like it, helped my team get first place nearly 10 years ago in my first league, but it doesn't actually fit me and it's just all beat to hell and deteriorating fast).

poor brad, although 23 years is a pretty good life for a ball I suppose.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
ah, a teal Rhino. It has definitely seen better days. Looks like it got chewed up by a pinsetter at some point.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I threw a hand me down teal Rhino for years on dry lanes in the late shift league. Ball owns and I've still got it around somewhere.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I've been avoiding using my Mastermind original because I needed new lifts, so I finally got new lifts last Tuesday. I went 758, 720, 712 in my three leagues last week with it. I love that drat ball.

Here's a picture of the ball!

Maybe I will take an actual picture of my current arsenal sometime and post here.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

buffto posted:

Anyway, I saw that there were a lot of people throwing the Roto Grip Haywire. Dear god that ball is ugly. Ugly as sin. I mean, it worked great for the people throwing it, but Jesus God and Heaven was it ugly.

Here's a pic for reference.

Since this thread needs a bit more activity, I say you people should chime in and post a ball you think is really god drat ugly.

Annnnnd a friend in my league shot 811 last night out of the box with this ball.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
So last night I struggled the first two games, left a bunch of ten pins, and went 188-203. Third game I started really focusing on a loose arm swing, and whaddaya know, all of a sudden I was creating so much more power. Much heavier roll with more rotation. Had the front 10 before ringing a 10-pin for a 289. Tonight I went in to get some practice to create some muscle memory out of that. Bowled 6 games and I was very pleased with how the ball was moving. I also noticed something happening that has been severely lacking this past year: messengers. Holy hell, I had the headpin flying all over the pin deck. I'm pretty excited for league tomorrow night. Anyway, here's an ugly ball:

Check out that ugly motherfucker. Bowlingball.com recently dropped the price on that ball by like $100. poo poo, I'd better get a free Affliction t-shirt and a tattoo parlor gift certificate with that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bowled a 122-144-104 last night with the new ball (16 pins above my average going into tonight), pretty happy all around. Had some real solid shots, just need to practice more and get some consistency going (and work on picking up spares). Don't feel too bad about the third game either, everyone did bad that game (probably because the other team was going so incredibly slow on top of a lane that kept breaking, took 2 and a half hours to get out of there, ugh). The guy on the other team who was slowing things down spent the whole night trying to bowl right after his team's 4th player (you know... when I'm supposed to bowl on that lane), and even threw my shiny new ball by accident once because he couldn't tell the difference between it and the one his friend let him borrow. :argh:

That said, we were the number 1 team by half a point, and swept one of the teams tied for second, so that was awesome.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
So this year I switched from Monday nights to Friday nights, and it seems the lanes are much drier on Fridays. I struggled to find the sweet spot last night, until the end of the 3rd game - I started with a spare, 3 opens, and then finished off with 8 strikes for a 220. Got me enough to bowl 6 pins over average for the night.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
7 pins short of an 800 on Friday. Missed a 10 pin in the third frame of the first game to shoot 245 248 300. I moved houses this year on Fridays to a somewhat more difficult (and inconsistent) oil pattern, but the last two weeks I have 700's so I hope to have figured something out there.

merAch
Oct 16, 2004

Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous.

Nothing against trees, hippies, hunters, or people who like fall, but everytime I see this at my local proshop I just want to puke.

Also, not trying to be a rotogrip apologist or anything (I own a brunswick strike king and a storm crux, but plan to grab a haywire) it does't look nearly as bad in normal or low light, it's a dull ball so not nearly as shiny out of the box

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Okay, I gotta ask. What on earth kind of drill is that?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Seems like some sort of bizarre full roller type drilling, but I have no idea how that could even be legal without some sort of crazy drill down of the finger holes or some weird weight hole placement. I too am interested.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
well, it seems there are only two holes, which is how balls are supposed to be drilled now for bowlers who don't use a thumb (usbc rule now states that a bowler must use all holes in the ball they throw, weight holes are used by default). When a ball is drilled without a thumb, they use a different method to determine the grip center for weighing purposes. This bowler must really track the ball funny for that to be an effective drill, though. To tell you the truth, I think the new usbc rules are dumb and they really need to get rid of static weight limits anyway. It's so archaic. No ball in the last 10 years other than entry level balls have weight blocks that are at all affected by static weight.

merAch
Oct 16, 2004

Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous.
you know what, you're right. what in the gently caress is the deal with that. I just stole it from google images, there is a devour drilled slightly more sane but still very odd.

http://m.imgur.com/a/ZXItz

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Maybe this will revive the thread, maybe it won't. The USBC just banned two pretty popular bowling balls today, which I haven't really ever seen before. I wonder if Motiv will recall the bowling balls or anything like that, since they seem pretty useless from here on out.

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326199

Funny tweets.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 15, 2016

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Wow, that kinda sucks.

My first season in nearly 10 years is wrapping up, back in november I was rocking a 105 average, and now I've managed to drag it up to a 129, with the highpoint being a 172-174-176 series that so far locked up the top series w/handicap score for the league year (759 total). Gonna have to practice over the summer, hopefully go into next season strong.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Looks like Motiv is setting up a recall of sorts to get replacement balls to those who had the Jackal/Carnage balls. Should be up and running Wednesday. http://www.motivbowling.com/motivnation/news-events/2016-03-15/jackal-and-jackal-carnage-approval-removed.html

In happier news, I finally did it. I got my first 200 game in league (213), and then followed it up with a second (201). Managed my first 500 series, and will also snag my 140 over series pin. (First game was a 162.) For having a 142 average, I was pretty excited. Pressure is off, I'm free to bowl 200s now ;)

hockeyfrog fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 21, 2016

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Nice bowling guys. It's always fun to watch new bowlers get a lot better throughout the year. One of my buddies shot his first 600 ever this year and his second just the other week. He has brought his average up from ~150 to ~175 throughout the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

hockeyfrog posted:

Looks like Motiv is setting up a recall of sorts to get replacement balls to those who had the Jackal/Carnage balls. Should be up and running Wednesday. http://www.motivbowling.com/motivnation/news-events/2016-03-15/jackal-and-jackal-carnage-approval-removed.html

In happier news, I finally did it. I got my first 200 game in league (213), and then followed it up with a second (201). Managed my first 500 series, and will also snag my 140 over series pin. (First game was a 162.) For having a 142 average, I was pretty excited. Pressure is off, I'm free to bowl 200s now ;)

Yeah, the whole Motiv thing has me scratching my head. Honestly it's kind of sketchy how all of these balls that were produced all of a sudden exceeded the maximum differential for the USBC. Well, I looked the two balls up and saw that they are designed to have a .060" differential (the absolute maximum allowed). USBC did a spot check and found that "a significant amount" of them tested out to have a .063" differential. I'm going to assume that Motiv didn't do this on purpose and this was just some manufacturing mistake. However, why on earth did Motiv design a weight block to have the absolute maximum RG differential when they knew some variance could occur during production? Whatever, I only throw Storm anyway.

Also, congrats on the scores. It will only go up from here.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Nice bowling guys. It's always fun to watch new bowlers get a lot better throughout the year. One of my buddies shot his first 600 ever this year and his second just the other week. He has brought his average up from ~150 to ~175 throughout the season.

What I like to see is when someone just started bowling and they get their first full year under their belts and book an average. Then all through the next year they clean up in handicap tournaments since most tournaments don't have a 10-pin rule.

In other news, I shot my fifth 300 last night. It was my first one outside of the house I bowled at the first 10 years I bowled, so I was pretty excited about it.

• Locked thread