Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

buffto posted:

Yeah, even the USBC Open Championships allow jeans now.

Being a sort of younger bowler, I find it hilarious how many older guys I know who bowl complain about this and the fact that they serve beer now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Devo posted:

Khakis and any old collared shirt will be fine for 99% of tournaments. You could probably get away with a nice pair of jeans too. Most of the time that rule is just in place to keep people from showing up in tanktops, ripped jeans, super short skirts and the like.

Ahhh ok. Haha yeah, directly after that it says "Ripped or torn clothing will not be allowed. Shorts are ok if at an appropriate length."

I actually feel kind of bad about the handicaps me and my partner will be getting. Apparently our league hasn't reported our averages for the current season (or do they always wait until the season is concluded?), so we're going off of last years averages; 169 for me and 180 for my partner.

I'm currently at 187 and he's at 197... So looks like we're going to be getting some extra help.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
You always go with last year's averages for tournaments unless your current average this year is 15 pins higher. Don't feel bad about it, handicaps are there for a reason, to make things a lot more competitive.

Also, you may want to check into that 15 pin rule, most tournaments have that in place.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You always go with last year's averages for tournaments unless your current average this year is 15 pins higher. Don't feel bad about it, handicaps are there for a reason, to make things a lot more competitive.

Also, you may want to check into that 15 pin rule, most tournaments have that in place.

Yeah, true. I just can't stand sandbagging and don't want to be thought of as one. I've been pretty drat consistent as of late, and it'd have to be a pretty bad day for me to roll my old average. My handicap-hate really just comes from several bad experiences with the sandbaggers in our league. We always have to spot them a poo poo-ton of pins (hell, one team we have to give 264 pins to), yet certain teams always seem to have the games of their lives whenever they bowl against us.

I mentioned it to the tournament director when I sent him an email to reserve us a spot. I guess I'll find out what he put us at when we show up tomorrow morning.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Just my luck... came down with a stomach virus the night before the tournament.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Position round tonight!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
126-189-193. gently caress me.

Apparently someone came in to do some maintenance on the lane oiler, then realized that it was actually broken and unable to lay down proper patterns. So tonight for the first time in god knows how long, we bowled on Easy Street. But it just seemed super dry to me.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
593 ; 7-2 ..Looks like 2nd

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Finally made it to Louisiana. I don't remember the drive taking this long but then again I didn't have two kids in the car with me in 2005. Bowling on Saturday!

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

Scarf posted:

So tonight for the first time in god knows how long, we bowled on Easy Street. But it just seemed super dry to me.

Easy street is pretty dry. I believe it is the driest of the rec patterns.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

buffto posted:

Easy street is pretty dry. I believe it is the driest of the rec patterns.

Well, I hated it. Actually pretty much everyone hated it, and I'm by far the highest-rev person in the league. No one ever really had it figured out.

And due to the retarded setup of having our ball-returns up ON the approach, on the right-hand lane, I had no more room to move inside by the end of the night.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Sitting here in the lobby waiting for my name to (not) come up on the brackets results board for team event.

I could have had a decent series if it weren't for a couple spots where I really screwed the pooch. In game one I opened frames 2-4 because I'm pretty sure I was bowling with my rear end in a top hat instead of my arm. Game two the ball was coming out a lot better but I blew an easy 210 and possibly 220-230 when I opened the 9th and 10th. Game three was when I switched balls. I opened in the first trying to find my spot but was clean after that.

165 - 189 - 225 and I wish my brackets were backwards so I'd have a shot.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Finalfuckingly.

First weekend of the city's bowling association tournament. They put out Route 66 to much bitching.

I shot a meh 520 scratch in doubles. My partner and I are in 2nd with 1458 after handicap.

Singles I shot a 591 for a 782 with hdcp for second place again.

Teams I shot a 603 and our team ended up with 2856 after handicap to lead by 150 pins.

If they all hold up through next weekend I'll pocket about $700. Plus the $25 I won for murdering my bracket today.

The lanes were so burnt by last game I was off the left corner with my Nano throwing it 6th arrow. For reference, I usually throw it out from the middle over 3rd on a fresh pair. It would actually burn up all it's energy and flatten out at about 35 feet directly into the pocket. We burned up so much of the left side of the lane that the lefties on our pair had their balls trying to hook at the arrows.

Edit: Oh, and I'm leading the all around with 1283 after handicap. Not bad for a "170 scrub", as put by one of our bowlers who thinks he's a superstar.

Critical fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 18, 2012

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

On my way back from Baton Rouge now. Singles and doubles was very bleh. I opened up slow again in doubles with a 169 but managed a 567 out of it. Singles was where I had my two lowest games of the weekend. I was totally lost except for a small stretch in the second game. I had to pick up a 2-4-8-10 to break 500 which I did with a 508. I somehow managed to get half my bracket money back which was better than I expected.

My group isn't going anymore but I'm not really that upset. We had no chance of cashing in team and not much in doubles. Not a good thing when I'm high average out of ten guys with a 200-210 every year. I might look at getting my own group together for El Paso in 2015.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
C'mon, are you sure you don't want to go to MOTHERFUCKING RENO the next 2 years? The god damned mecca of all things bowling (according to the powers that be)?

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Shot my first 300 tonight :woop:. Went 223-249-300 for a 772, an all time high series.

Get this though, I was absolutely on fire through the 1st 9, all perfect shots. In the 10th though I trip 8 counts on slow rolling messengers twice. I was actually visibly shaking. On the 1st ball I tripped the 6-10, and on the last ball I tripped the 3-6. I thought it was 298 for sure. Certainly makes up for the solid 10 I left on a 299 last year.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

PendingForaBending posted:

Shot my first 300 tonight :woop:. Went 223-249-300 for a 772, an all time high series.

Get this though, I was absolutely on fire through the 1st 9, all perfect shots. In the 10th though I trip 8 counts on slow rolling messengers twice. I was actually visibly shaking. On the 1st ball I tripped the 6-10, and on the last ball I tripped the 3-6. I thought it was 298 for sure. Certainly makes up for the solid 10 I left on a 299 last year.

Awesome! :woop:

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
+1 Still waiting for another shot at that.. Done the Varipapa a dozen or so times

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Yeah, I had done that a few times. I've also had 11 strikes in a game something like 7 times before this too, and had taken the perfect game into 10th 3 times missing on each of the 3 strikes in the different games.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Tonight was weird. I don't know what the hell happened to me during the second game.

First game was going good, until I realized after my shot in the 8th that I'd been clean all game. I got inside my head and that poo poo hosed me up. I left a 4-6-10 and obviously missed it. I got a spare in the 10th and shot a 212.

The second game, I hosed up pretty badly. I left a couple 10 pins (Thankfully, I didn't miss any of them), but also left 3 splits (Including a pocket 7-10, a pocket 8-10 and a 4-5-7, which I managed to put between the 4 and the 5, but didn't get enough of the 4, which slid right in the gutter in front of the 7. Still pretty upset about that.) Couldn't get a double and shot a lousy 158.

The third game, I pulled my head out of my rear end and remembered how to bowl. Clean game, all the way down the 10th. I only needed a mark and a good count. My first shot was low and I left a bucket, which I barely picked up. I still don't know how that 8 went down. On the last shot, I pulled it high like a jackass and left another 4-6-10, for a 231.

I bowled a 601, but I can't feel good about it, because I needed a loving 602 to raise my average. I guess that means it's a lock for next week, then.

Shot my first 300 tonight :woop:.

Congratulations! One of these days, I'll get there. My dad, who has bowling in league for about 15 years (in addition to several years in high school and college), has also never achieved a perfect game. A fact that haunts him to this day.

At least, I think he's been in league for 15 years. I distinctly remember him saying that he bowled on September 11th, because I remember him telling me that out of 8 teams in his league, not a single man bowled a 600 that night.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
All right, time to get all serious and poo poo. Just got 2 new balls in (Storm Vivid and Marvel Pearl) and getting ready to hit up some tournaments. 2 scratch sweepers this weekend in the kind of St. Louis area, then a couple more in April, then off to a PBA regional in Junction City, KS on May 4-6. The sweepers will be on walled up conditions, but at least I can get myself in a competitive mind set for the regional. I bowl at a house that could put out a relatively tough shot for me to practice on to get myself somewhat ready from a technical standpoint.

Really have to grind it out these next 6 weeks or so. This will be the 3rd regional I have bowled in (one in '07 and one in '10) and I think I actually have a shot at doing something. I have proven to myself that I can score on sport conditions by bowling a 279 and 701 at nationals. Just have to apply that at the right times. Having 2 brand new balls and 2 more balls that have relatively fresh covers on them will help a lot as well. Wish me luck, so on and so forth.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I wanted to post a new updated video of me bowling. You'll remember a month or 2 ago I posted some videos and got some great advise. Well I've been practicing a lot lately and start a league with my dad who has been bowling 20+ years May 1st.

So this was the first video I posted
Horrible form, falling all over the place, muscling the ball, rushing up to the line, pretty much everything you could do wrong I was doing.

http://youtu.be/-bPjt0L3g9o

And here is a 223 I shot today.

Got a different properly fit ball(still need to have the Evolve from the first video redrilled), form is improved, not really falling everywhere, smoother backswing and follow through and nice and slow up to the line.

http://youtu.be/MkoPLr-UYB0
I was freaking robbed on the 7th shot with that dam 7 pin as well :(

Feel like I've mad a ton of improvement and all my practice games are in the 175+ area with a 235 I bowled last week. Can't wait to start league!

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Your follow through definitely looks good now, I think you are ready to go out there and tear it up, good luck man.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Bowled the team event at the state tournament today and I missed three single pin spares like an rear end in a top hat. Then, I picked up the 4-5, the 4-5-7 and 2-4-10. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Well, back from my little bowling weekend. First tournament I was only 9th out of 24. But today I averaged around 230 and got 5th out of 59 and got a couple of hundred back. Going to try and hit up a couple of more tournaments before my regional comes up.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
238-280-171, for a 689 last night. Last game the right lane just fell apart on me. 3 opens and I didn't get a strike on that lane until the 9th frame, when I had gotten all 7 on it in the previous game. We were bowling against the Vacant team though last night so we took an easy 7 and maintained our first place team lead.

Got the average up to 209 though. The goal for the season was to raise from my 204 last year to 210 so I just need to keep it up.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Shot 771 for 4 games tonight, possibly ending my quest for an 800 series by the end of they year, since we go to a legit sport pattern for the last six weeks. But that is not the news of the week. The news is how much of a loving baby a bowler can be.

The top dog in our league had to bowl a make up match and got totally loving dismantled and lost 10-0 in points for the first time all season. He's struggled on the pattern the whole time, which is a surprise since it's a relatively easy 35 foot shot.

So he first claims that there's no way that shot is getting in the league next year. Boo hoo. Then he starts trying to convince the league secretary to replace out next shot (Winding Road) with the US Open shot.

Guess who is the only person in the league to have bowled in the US Open this year?

He then goes on to say that some people won't even be able to average 130 on the shot. Considering I have the second lowest average in the league, I wonder who he might be talking about.

I'm seriously considering e-mailing the secretary and saying that if the US Open shot goes out next week, I'm done. I'll pay the rest of my dues so no one gets hosed out of prize money, but I'm not going to embarrass myself for six weeks so the best bowler in the league has a shot to come back from 9th place. gently caress that noise. It's not fair to anyone else who has a shot to win the third and is a bitch move all around.

It doesn't affect me a whole lot, so am I being a huge baby about this? It is less unfair than it seems?

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Have you guys decided on what patterns were going to go out for the rest of the year? Because if so it is loving bullshit that he would want to get the pattern changed because he sucked rear end for 1 week. If the patterns had been decided on previously I would say something if it ended up getting changed because one guy is a giant rear end in a top hat.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Have you guys decided on what patterns were going to go out for the rest of the year? Because if so it is loving bullshit that he would want to get the pattern changed because he sucked rear end for 1 week. If the patterns had been decided on previously I would say something if it ended up getting changed because one guy is a giant rear end in a top hat.

We've had the pattern schedule since we started bowling, it was voted on and approved prior to bowling the first week.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
and those are the type of people who make me ashamed to be a scratch bowler.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've been bitching just as much about this god damned dry rear end Easy Street pattern (threw a drat 491 tonight...), but I'm by no means going to suggest we switch to a pattern that ONLY benefits me. Yeah, that guy is just a tool.

OH! And our anchor couldn't even bowl tonight... Last week, there was a screw or something sticking up in the back of one of the lanes, and his ball got marked up a good bit (nothing too deep, just a lot of hairline scratches). So they told him they'd resurface it for him. Fast-forward to this week, and they said "Uhh, we don't have it. We had to take it somewhere since we don't have a ball spinner, and we forgot to go pick it up." Are you loving KIDDING me?!

Their compensation? Waiving his dues this week and giving him A free beer. One. Singular. Beer.

Thank God we were bowling the vacant team this week.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 29, 2012

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

222 - 224 - 207 tonight. Was actually clean the third game but couldn't find a consistent line to the pocket. The team won games 2 AND 3 by less than 20 pins a piece when our anchor and I both struck out the tenth and their 4/5 guys opened. Stole 6 points that way basically.

Week 32 and the end of the league is next week. I'm not sure exactly what position we'll be bowling in yet but realistically I don't think we can finish higher than 3rd or 4th. A little disappointing for the defending champs but eh what are you gonna do.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Funny thing I was made aware of today. Back when I went to Baton Rouge about a month ago, I got an action shot of me bowling.

Well, the people who do the photography thought my picture was SO BADASS that they are using it to advertise their service. So if any of you are going to Baton Rouge to bowl nationals, go to the stub lane where you get your picture taken and look for that picture. It's me.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Really fighting the 10 pin the last few weeks. Only way I get good carry is to lower my ball speed to 13 or so MPH. Crazy , but it works . It's very hard to throw the ball softer when you're getting tapped 169- 217 - 211 = 597 ,on a 183 average; I'll take it...

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
244-221-216, for a 681 tonight. Left 6 10's and 3 9 pins tonight. I have figured something out with shooting 10 pins though. My accuracy has greatly improved by aiming 3/4 of the way down the lane instead of at the arrows, normally out of those 6 I probably would've missed 2 of them, but I was 6/6 tonight and perfect when throwing in practice. Our team took all 7 again and are 13 points ahead of the number 2 team with 5 weeks to go.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Last night of bowling tonight! I think we moved up to 4th place. I was on loving fire and just couldn't miss. The right lane started to dry out in the third game and I didn't adjust fast enough to finish with a really big series.

Game 1 I had the front 6 and got too fast in the 7th. I left a 2-4-8 and finished out with a 277.

Game 2 I had the front 7 and left a perfect ringing 10 pin in the 8th. Which is also the strikepot frame :suicide: Came in a little too angular on ball 11 and finished with a 268.

Game 3 I started strike, 10 pin, strike, and then split twice in a row blowing my 800. I managed to string a few anyway and ended up with a 206.

751 is my high series of the year so I ended on a high note!

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
211-204-205 last night ; one of the hardest 600's I've ever shot. Eleven 10 pins , FFS. Took 7 of 9 points from first place , so we'll be in the top 5 methinks.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

153 - 226 - 247 last night. Best series I've ever posted by about 10 pins.

First game opened with a 5-7 (as a lefty, I hate the 5-7) and then a 4-7-10 (almost...almost). After about 6 straight 8/'s, I finally got a couple strikes to salvage the game.

Opened with a 2-7 game 2,which I hit, and realized I was throwing my ball too slowly. I kept getting too high all game 1, leading to near-splits and solid 8s. After throwing faster I ended game 2 with mostly strikes.

Game 3 was awesome. X X 9/ 9/ X X 9/ X X X X X

I'll take that. All my strikes were those great devastating types, and the 9s all had a fair chance of getting kicked. One of those nights I wish I could keep going.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
220-243-186, 649. Team took all 7 again, and our Magic number for clinching the league is down to 8 with 3 weeks left. We'll bowl against the 2nd place team twice in that span, so we can double down on those points and can clinch the league by winning just 2 games out of 6 against them directly. Its not a big money league or anything, but you do get a little extra for being in first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
My game has officially gone to poo poo. 125-141-139 last night. Coming from a 187 average the first 3/4 of this season, this is infuriating. I mean, I really hate being one of those guys who bitches about oil patterns, but I seriously cannot do anything on this "Easy Street" bs. Oh, and apparently the oiler was even more broken than they thought. The last 3 weeks it was only laying down 12 units of oil, rather than the supposed 20 it should be.

But even with it "fixed," I can't tell a difference and have to start all the way inside at the beginning of the night.

• Locked thread