Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Last night, I started out with a couple splits in practice. Everything was off by just a little bit. My very helpful teammates started giving me advice after every shot. "You're dropping your shoulder!" "You need to move an inch and a half to the left!" "Your hand position is bad" "You need to slow it down!" The best part, though, was them constantly telling me to concentrate. You ever notice how hard it is to concentrate when 3 guys are constantly telling you to do so?

The first game was a loving 107. Including a five pin I left in the 10th and threw it in the gutter like a complete jackass because I couldn't concentrate. Middle of the second game, I ate an order of french fries, and got a 170.

Then, in the third game, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, punched the last 6 for a 243.

Sometimes you have to know when to ignore your teammates, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Pffft you guys and your low point leagues.

Our league is 45 points a night. 5 bowlers on each team, 2 points per game. 2 points to the winner of each team game, 2 points for each individual series and 3 points for total pins.

5 weeks into the second quarter, my team is 141 - 84. Although we should be a few points higher, because Tuesday night, the guy I was bowling against either has incredible luck or was just loving with me, because he managed to stay 2 or 3 pins points ahead of me almost the entire game and then punched out the 10th...he did this to me all three games.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Looking forward to league tonight, because I brought home my ball and put it in front of the space heater in my room to sweat out the 10 or so years worth of oil that has accumulated since we bought this thing. Really should have done this a long time ago.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Spent the last four days thinking I wasn't going to be bowling tonight, because it's my week to sit out. Then, I woke up this morning and realized one of the other bowlers is out of town for two weeks and I'm bowling anyway. I'm glad I realized in time, so I can completely my (edit: very spergy) routine.

My league begins at 7, but I start getting ready at 4. At 4 o'clock, I cook a giant soft pretzel with cheese (if I have it, otherwise I'm stuck with pretzel salt) and drink a Diet Dr Pepper. I watch YouTube videos of ESPN games, usually Walter Ray Williams or another right hander.

After I watch 2 or 3 games, I listen to my Get Psyched playlist (Metallica's "The Thing That Should Not Be", "Battery", Megadeth's "Peace Sells", "I Wanna Rock" by Twisted Sister and Metallica's cover of "Ecstasy of Gold".) and then assemble my bowling clothes (Tan dress pants, polo shirt, thick socks [I have to wear winter socks/2 pairs of regular socks with my bowling shoes, because they're half a size too big]).

Then, I take a shower. Even if I've already showered twice that day (it has happened), I shower again. I grab my cell phone and my wallet (complete with lucky coin) and head down to the bowling alley.

I always get to the bowling alley 15 minutes early, which gives me time to go to the bathroom, order a fountain diet coke and bring my stuff up from the locker. Practice starts generally around 6:50 (Depending on which employee is working behind the counter) and I bowl exactly 2 practice shots on each lane. I used to do more, but I've learned how my ball reacts compared to those thrown by my teammates, so I can generally gauge based off of their shots.

During bowling, I always go to the bathroom between games, whether I need to or not. I don't want to be the guy who holds up the whole team because he has to run down to the toilet right before his shot. I already have to deal with the smokers who go out for a cigarette in between games and don't look inside to see when they're up.

Does anyone else have a weird routine or superstitions? I can't be the only one...right? :smith:

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Zahgaegun posted:

One of the guys on the team threw 8 straight strikes to start the game on Monday. Got real nervous, started pacing. Stepped up, threw a 9 with a wobbly 10 pin that refused to go down. He subsequently left 7 of the next 8 frames open. Welp.

Had a good attitude about it.

Yikes.

That reminds me of the story of Charlie, this 6'4" or so black dude who bowls on Wednesday nights. He got the first 9 and was, understandably, nervous as gently caress on the last shot. So after he gets the first 2 strikes in the 10th, he sits back down, drinks a glass of water, tells a story to his teammates and about 5 minutes later, goes up and bowls strike number 12.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
237 - 199 - 176 tonight. Had a great first game, but I left a pocket 7-10 in the third frame of the second, which threw me off for a bit. I recovered, until the first shot of the 10th, which was a perfect pocket hit and I left the enemy of all right-handed bowlers, the solid 8 pin. I picked it up, but threw the next shot too high and left a 4-7.

Then, since I have a history of loving up the third game, I went ahead and left/missed a bucket in the second frame, left a Greek church in the 5th and a 5-7 in the 8th.

I'm really excited, though, because we happened to be bowling our crosstown rivals, who were 8 points ahead of us in the standings going in. But we beat them 31 - 14 to take back first. On that note, I feel bad for one of their players. He gets the first 8 in a row and loses his game, because the player on our team got the last 9 in a row. His handicap was high enough that he would have won...if he didn't leave a 6-7-10 on his first shot in the 10th. I always feel bad when someone bowls like 60 pins over average and loses anyway.

Lastly, the fact that our league does 45 points per night never bothered me until this thread made me realize that other leagues do things a lot more simply.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
The problem with having a 6-man team like we do is that every week, someone has to sit out. Usually the one who sits out will go over and bowl on (What used to be and possibly still is) the Coast Guard team, since they only have 3 regulars and 2 guys who show up on occasion.

Motherfucker from our team does that again tonight on his night to sit out, except we are bowling the Coast Guard team. Now, far be it from me to be upset at a teammate for bowling a 680, but why the gently caress did he have to bowl it against us!? He beat my dad in the first two games and they won the first game (by 10 pins, no less), so that's 7 points our team is down.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, except that we're in first and our crosstown rivals from the plumbing team were only down by 9 points. And I won't know until Friday what that means.

I'm also upset because I bowled fuckin' 183 - 189 - 181, because I left a loving 5-7 in the 10th of the first game, and then I left a pocket 8-10 in the 10th of the second game. I was pissed, left two 6-7-10s and missed a washout in the third game, but got the last 4. Every one of those games could have been a 200 very easily.

At least, though, I did win my teammate's $5, because he bowled a 470. And his average went down a pin, so I'm now beating him there, too.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Tonight was weird. I don't know what the hell happened to me during the second game.

First game was going good, until I realized after my shot in the 8th that I'd been clean all game. I got inside my head and that poo poo hosed me up. I left a 4-6-10 and obviously missed it. I got a spare in the 10th and shot a 212.

The second game, I hosed up pretty badly. I left a couple 10 pins (Thankfully, I didn't miss any of them), but also left 3 splits (Including a pocket 7-10, a pocket 8-10 and a 4-5-7, which I managed to put between the 4 and the 5, but didn't get enough of the 4, which slid right in the gutter in front of the 7. Still pretty upset about that.) Couldn't get a double and shot a lousy 158.

The third game, I pulled my head out of my rear end and remembered how to bowl. Clean game, all the way down the 10th. I only needed a mark and a good count. My first shot was low and I left a bucket, which I barely picked up. I still don't know how that 8 went down. On the last shot, I pulled it high like a jackass and left another 4-6-10, for a 231.

I bowled a 601, but I can't feel good about it, because I needed a loving 602 to raise my average. I guess that means it's a lock for next week, then.

PendingForaBending posted:

Shot my first 300 tonight :woop:.

Congratulations! One of these days, I'll get there. My dad, who has bowling in league for about 15 years (in addition to several years in high school and college), has also never achieved a perfect game. A fact that haunts him to this day.

At least, I think he's been in league for 15 years. I distinctly remember him saying that he bowled on September 11th, because I remember him telling me that out of 8 teams in his league, not a single man bowled a 600 that night.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Bowled the team event at the state tournament today and I missed three single pin spares like an rear end in a top hat. Then, I picked up the 4-5, the 4-5-7 and 2-4-10. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Kouerson posted:

I bowl 5-pin, how ostracized am I here? I still haven't gotten up to a 200 average, so I'm still learning.

Nah man, I bowl 5 pin from time to time when I'm in Canada. It's actually my third favorite (Behind 10-pin [obviously] and Candle pin) form of bowling. It's pretty entertaining.

Second to last night of league was last night. I started out with the first 5 and couldn't carry poo poo afterward. 232-187-183 for a 602, but I couldn't feel satisfied about it because I needed a 607 to raise my average and, worst of all, I needed a double in the 10th of the last game to win the money. First shot was right in the pocket for a crushing strike. Then I put the next ball in the exact same spot and left a solid 8 pin. I made a joke earlier in the night about Randy Pedersen, too.

In better news, though, the team went 35-10, which increases our lead over the number 2 team to 32 points, so we could go 14-31 next week and still win the fourth quarter. Also, 45 points per night is the best way to do scoring.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

IllegallySober posted:

45 points a night? Tell me more about this scoring system. I'm intrigued.

Each individual game is worth 2 points. 5 bowlers per team over 3 games makes this a total of 30 individual match points. Each team game is worth 4 points. 3 more team points for total pins at the end of night makes 45.

I kind of wish they would have made it 50 points a night somehow, because that seems more convenient to me. But guys who are in multiple leagues at our center say they like it more than the other leagues, including a Thursday league where everything is one point. Having each person's game be equal points-wise to total team pins seems like a bad idea to me.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

This is me, irl, celebrating my team's victory in the roll-off tonight. I have no idea why they decided to do the Tuesday night league finals on Sunday night, but I'm good with it.

Picked up the last 6 strikes in the last game to put us over the top. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to spend my share of the $1500 we won.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
League starts tomorrow night and I'm pretty excited. I usually win a lot of money in the first couple of weeks because I'm the only one on the team who practices during the summer.

The only part that sucks is that I work 2 - 11 tonight, then because my workplace is managed by dicks, I work 8 - 5 tomorrow, at which point I immediately catch a bus to go to the bowling centre.

That being said, some of my best games have been bowled while I was fairly tired, so maybe this will all work out. (Not too tired, though. The last time I bowled while I was exhausted during league was like two years ago and I'm fairly sure I bowled a sub-400 series. Yikes.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I've been bowling like poo poo all year. No matter what I try, I can't seem to get a good series.

I bowled a 156 my first game tonight. Then, I decided to clean my ball. The second game is pretty poo poo. I have 133 in the 8th (after missing a 10 pin like a jackass). At this point, something inside my head just kind of clicked and I punch out for a 193.

The first shot of the third game, I come in just a bit light and leave a solid 10, which I then pick up. Then I somehow manage to take it off the sheet, with about 7 or 8 solid pocket hits, a couple brooklyns and one shot where I don't know what the gently caress happened, but somehow I hit the headpin and all the other pins fell, too.

The lesson that you may take away from my 290 is that it's better to be lucky than good.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Devo posted:

e: I mean Belmonte and those guys still shoot their ten pins normally, and if that was truly the case they would have to bowl every ball of the entire tournament in two handed style.

This is actually true of almost everyone on the tour, except Belmonte. He still uses the two handed-style for his 10 pins.

Also, 236-155-193 tonight. One of these days, I'll learn how to bowl three good games in a row. And it seems I'll be sticking with my 12 year old AMF Force 1 for a while longer; I picked up my DV8 Hell Raiser Revenge today, only to find that it cracked beyond repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
My dad's birthday is coming up and I've decided to get him a new bowling ball. Specifically, a 14 pound ball, because he's mentioned a few times that he wants to get a 14 pound Storm Anarchy, the 15 pound version of which is the ball he uses most often right now (He also has a Storm Frantic, but it has a greater hook potential than he desires/can use).

The problem is, Storm doesn't make the Anarchy anymore and even if they did, I'd like to get him something newer. I'm going out of town in a few weeks and will be able to go to a good pro shop (Despite being Alaska's capital city, we do not have a pro shop and our local alley's ball selection consists entirely of the latest Storm catalog, hence my dad having an Anarchy and a Frantic).

Does anyone have a good ball recommendation for an experienced league bowler with a medium hook?

• Locked thread