Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Isn't Kanji a Good Character like Potemkin though? Don't really see what the problem is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

There isn't a problem really, just kind of disappointing that no Kanji's have qualified so far. I honestly don't know where they consider him strength/tier wise right now.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There isn't a problem really, just kind of disappointing that no Kanji's have qualified so far. I honestly don't know where they consider him strength/tier wise right now.

According to the JP BBSes, Kanji is rated down at the bottom, right with Elizabeth and Labrys. The reasons vary, but it generally seems to be that their mixup potential just isn't good enough to get them good confirms, and they pretty much have to rely on the enemy letting them connect. That just comes to me by word of mouth from people who can read those boards, so I couldn't say anything more than that, though.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Waterbed posted:

Who'd have thought an Arcsys grappler does terrible in tournaments? Inconceivable.

Potemkin in GGXX and Accent Core? Tager in the last version of BB wasn't rear end, either.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

MadRhetoric posted:

Potemkin in GGXX and Accent Core? Tager in the last version of BB wasn't rear end, either.

Potemkin was unplayably bad in every Guilty Gear until Slash where he was low-mid tier.

Point is, Arcsystems grapplers are generally not very good. Well, except Donvalve.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Potemkin was never considered bottom tier in any GG game other than X1 and that's not a game really worth talking about.

In X2 and Slash he was Mid, #R he was low. But even being low puts you FAR from "unplayably bad".

Edit: Actually he might have been mid tier in #R too depending on what list you go by.

Donvalve was S-Tier in the arcade version but only mid-tier in the home version.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

ATLUS USA has been posting videos of the cast's moves on their YT page, if y'all don't wanna see my bad OP writing to learn moves.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

LightningKimba posted:

ATLUS USA has been posting videos of the cast's moves on their YT page, if y'all don't wanna see my bad OP writing to learn moves.

This just confirms the fact that Chie is Neo-Jam and that Naoto looks cool. I also love that really-late falling chair after Kanji's first super.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I love that Kanji's instant kill is officially localized as The Man Series: Brofist. :getin:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Ha, I liked Chie's defeat cry in Yosuke's video. "I can't believe I lost to Yosuke! :gonk:" Of course he's a dick right back by going "Your muscles must be huge!" in Chie's video.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That stream I was talking about is live at the moment, if you want to see a player answer questions about characters and analyze matches. There's also archives if you happen to miss it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, somebody found A Thing with Naoto. It's not practical in any sense of the word, but goddamn is it funny. I wonder if they'll patch that out before console?

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i09IS76_y3I
Persona 4 Arena PV, this time for the Story Mode.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

S-Alpha posted:

Well, somebody found A Thing with Naoto. It's not practical in any sense of the word, but goddamn is it funny. I wonder if they'll patch that out before console?

Yeah I think the main point is to be funny. She can actually get 8.5k+ in a bunch of different ways, as long as she has a lot of meter.

For example see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2jWtic0eAQ#t=4m47s
A few different examples of getting over 8.5k.

Basically the way they work is that Mudo and Megido both have reverse tech scaling, so hitting with them lets you get longer combos. Fatal Counter also gives you a permanent +2F hit stun for the duration of the combo. So stack them all together and you get what you see.

They also knew about these types of combos well before v1.02 so I'm guessing they'll just leave them in. A number of other characters can break 8.5k damage with similar situational combos too FWTW.

Even Yukiko can break 8.5k! If she's at Level 8 :smith:

Oh, also on this note, I seem to recall Naoto has a -13 Fate IK combo as well. Same kind of requirements though, FC + Awakening + 150SP + Corner, etc.

Edit: For darealkooky, this guy here seems to be a channel with nothing but Yu only vids. Only 6 up so far but might be worth subscribing to: http://www.youtube.com/user/SenelKatsuragi

You might also have to sift through a few bum matches but this recent Chiba 3on3 tournament had two pretty solid Yu players who made the finals (I think one first good one shows up in part 4): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbVKeiDzh7M

Edit2: Actually I was wrong about that Naoto combo, it can get over 10k before it drops. So yeah it's pretty good.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 29, 2012

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
Is it safe to assume the comeback mechanic is well implemented and pretty fair? From what I've read in other threads it seems comeback mechanics always suck and ruin everything so I'm hoping this game's is okay.

Either way, so hype for this. Probably going to replay P4 because it's a great game and will last me until Arena is released.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
Uhhh there is not really a comeback mechanic. Awakening isn't really that much of a comeback factor and you can easily die before ever getting it.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
From what I've gathered, all awakening does is give you an extra supers worth of meter and a longer maximum bar, let you use another super, reduce damage a bit, and possibly make you slowly regen meter when you aren't doing anything? (it was like that in BB, dunno if they kept that like they kept the lovely throw system). Having an extra meter is worthless if you don't do anything with it, and since it only kicks in when you aren't in a combo there's the pro-strat of intentionally doping your combo before it kicks in and then doing a reset and killing them before it can even turn on. It's not "hey I hit all the buttons and you didn't guess right, looks like you lost"

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

For darealkooky,

Wow excellent! Honestly I completely forgot about this, thank you.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

dj_de posted:

Uhhh there is not really a comeback mechanic. Awakening isn't really that much of a comeback factor and you can easily die before ever getting it.

Yeah I should have realized that especially since the post before mine has a bunch of crazy high damage combos.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

darealkooky posted:

From what I've gathered, all awakening does is give you an extra supers worth of meter and a longer maximum bar, let you use another super, reduce damage a bit, and possibly make you slowly regen meter when you aren't doing anything? (it was like that in BB, dunno if they kept that like they kept the lovely throw system).

You don't get the SP Regen at low life in this game. Also they didn't keep the super lovely BB throws. They're faster in this game and have a LOT of range. I think the throw protection out of guard/hitstun is also shorter? Air throws in particular are loving brutal, they do upwards of 1.5k, some of them as high as 2k on CH. And you can often combo off them in the right situations.

quote:

Having an extra meter is worthless if you don't do anything with it, and since it only kicks in when you aren't in a combo there's the pro-strat of intentionally doping your combo before it kicks in and then doing a reset and killing them before it can even turn on.

Of course there's the opposite pro-tactic of purposefully damaging yourself with R-Actions to force yourself into Awakening. And Elizabeth of course can force herself into Awakening with her Concentration super, and do funny stuff like EX Maragidyne -> Concentration -> Diarama.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

S-Alpha posted:

According to the JP BBSes, Kanji is rated down at the bottom, right with Elizabeth and Labrys. The reasons vary, but it generally seems to be that their mixup potential just isn't good enough to get them good confirms, and they pretty much have to rely on the enemy letting them connect. That just comes to me by word of mouth from people who can read those boards, so I couldn't say anything more than that, though.

Yea I gotta agree with that probably. Hes good but he's not as good as the Real goods. Cause all the characters are so powerful in this game. His DP changed from being one of the better DPs to one of the worse dps which was a big hit actually. And his mixup is good but it's just not that scary compared to chie for example. Chie gets one free mixup per knockdown that you can't dp, and in the corner she can keep locking you down and mixing you up, 2,3 times. Kanji's mixup isn't bad but chars have so many options in this game if they are smart. Dash, DP (which beats grabs) jump, short hop, etc.

Also kanji's matchup vs some chars yeah is totally rear end. Actually I don't mind mitsuru because she doesn't have a great DP vs kanji but actually playing vs a good teddie is complete rear end. His normals beat kanjis (with mitsuru her normals beat everyone so I feel like, whatever.) and his zoning is really good, and his DP is super annoying since it puts you into rage if it hits (no blocking).

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

New movelist videos up at Atlus' YouTube page for Mitsuru, Akihiko and Aigis.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
God drat Akihiko looks complicated.

It inordinately entertained me when I saw that they didn't forget the Evokers, though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Okay, so those Naoto loops from before? Turns out it's actually a really major bug and it's existed since all the way back in Blazblue, just undiscovered until recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqWX-hCswcA

As the first comment suggests, if you use more than 10 moves in a combo that have "same move proration", the game ignores any more after that. So you can do some really insane/broken loops because of this, in both games.

So those Naoto loops are actually made possible not just because of FC/Mudo/Megido but because of this glitch as well, causing B Double Fang to not apply SMP.

So, expect a v1.03 to come out in the near future basically. :I

Edit: ALSO the mook apparently has NO frame data in it :psyduck:

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 4, 2012

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So, for whatever non disclosed reason, P4a is region locked on the PS3. Thanks Atlus.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Honest Thief posted:

So, for whatever non disclosed reason, P4a is region locked on the PS3. Thanks Atlus.

Damnit, I don't have any Australian friends who're planning to get this game!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Damnit, I don't have any Australian friends who're planning to get this game!

I think the servers are still global it just means you need a US PS3 to play a US copy of the game. Basically no import.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I got to play Kanji last weekend and I honestly wasn't impressed. There's really isn't much you can do to get in from a distance other than using qcfA/B and for a wrestler, his execution requirement is a piss take (pretty much Blitzkamp).

I think I was the only person playing him. Most people were playing Teddy.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, apparently, there are people who want to boycott the game because they don't understand the reasoning behind the region-locking. To them, Atlus had this to say:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/06/atlus-persona-4-arena-region-locking-not-a-slippery-slope/

I would recommend against reading the comments, as they are filled with the most horrific Japanophile elitism. I'm just more shocked that this is A Thing that needs to be bitched about.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
People in Europe don't want to wait I guess

Dweller
Sep 6, 2008

darealkooky posted:

Yeah, Zen United are the EU publishers for this and their track record isn't great. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger released NA June 30, 2009 and EU April 2, 2010. I'd like to play this game before 2013 please.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/06/atlus-persona-4-arena-region-locking-not-a-slippery-slope/ posted:

Moreover, our North American community is often forced to wait months for a localized release (a plight our friends across the Atlantic can relate to). Again, with P4 Arena, we’re able to release within two weeks of Japan.

Atlus, why you gotta rub it in?

Dweller fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 7, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

darealkooky posted:

Yeah, I mean how dare we?

Seriously, if all this was that Japanese PS3 owners couldn't buy non JP copies of P4U then that would more or less be fine. Sure it'd send a chilling effect of a company choosing to region lock a game on a console that has largely avoided such nonsense in the past but at least as a European, I could just waltz down to G-force and buy the drat thing in a timely manor.

But nope, this doesn't just insulate Japan's arse poor business model from the threat of Reverse Importation but locks Europeans out of a timely release.

And this time they don't have Nintendo's batshite insane practices to hide behind.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ah, I just had the JP/US markets in mind, and wasn't considering the EU perspective. I forgot you guys had to deal with Zen's bullshit. In that case, yeah, it does really suck for you.

From a business standpoint, I can understand it, but the player-side issue also makes sense. You don't want the home company to take a big profit hit, but on the other hand the EU players won't get the game for quite a while, history shows. That really has to suck. :(

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I think Aussies get hosed as well, since theyre the same region as us Euros I believe.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Honest Thief posted:

I think Aussies get hosed as well, since theyre the same region as us Euros I believe.

Always have, always will.

At least the P4U Europe site has a date of 2012, and if we're lucky they'll hold themselves to that. So at the worst, we'll only get it a third of a year after the US, not half.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

GameFAQs has it listed to release in Europe on August 31st. So I did a little googlin' and found this.

That's only a couple weeks wait, hopefully it works out for all the Euro gamers.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Always have, always will.

At least the P4U Europe site has a date of 2012, and if we're lucky they'll hold themselves to that. So at the worst, we'll only get it a third of a year after the US, not half.

We'll get the usual choice of paying $100 to a local retailer, or waiting weeks for the game to be shipped from your choice of European online retailer. This is a lovely deal. :australia:

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 7, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Cheap Trick posted:

We'll get the usual choice of paying $100 to a local retailer, or waiting weeks for the game to be shipped from your choice of European online retailer. This is a lovely deal. :australia:

Yeah, after a while I just got used to the best situation being 'maybe this time they'll only kick me in the dick a little bit'.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
So as an Australian I basically have to wait for the European release right? No local publisher announced? Are Australian consoles considered the same region as Europe for PS3? I am assuming so as that is the case for all other consoles in history but naturally I wouldn't know anything about region locking on PS3 because it hasn't been done before.

I import all my games (always cheaper) so the need to do that doesn't bother me; I just hope the European version will work on Australian systems.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Basically, everyone's hosed in order to keep Insulate Japan's utterly broken business models (to say nothing of the utter Cronyism that basically runs the country) from having to compete with anything.

There's going to be a Fukushima of entertainment sooner rather than later, I grantee it.

I get that it's a bit much to say that in the context of a video game but this is getting loving ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Doesn't help that Atlus doesn't have an official publisher in Europe so they have to fish for one every time they release a game in Europe. Zen was fast to hook since the game is made by arcsys. Catherine on the other hand was a trainwreck. It took over a year to get it here and by that time anyone who actually wanted the game had already imported it.

• Locked thread