Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
With the Xbox 360 patch fixing the online, anyone up for a goon week 1 XBL tourney?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

PonchAxis posted:

With the Xbox 360 patch fixing the online, anyone up for a goon week 1 XBL tourney?

I would. Even though I still pretty much suck at this game.

I set up a metatag. Just look up Personagoons

fit em all up in there fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 9, 2012

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I am Bad at fighting games, and especially bad with grappler characters, but all of Kanji's moves just feel so good to perform, especially the SB divegrab and following up most moves with a folding chair to the neck. I've lost more than half of my matches online, but I will continue to use Kanji, dammit. :colbert:

it also helps that he's the best character in the P4 cast

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 9, 2012

Kp
Aug 3, 2002

Lets drill

PonchAxis posted:

Zexerous posted:

Made another challonge for the next goonsgarden which will be next Thursday. Again I'll be recording as many matches as possible and then uploading them to a playlist on youtube.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xk8bfuk3ms

I'll totally be down for both of these tournaments. Hopefully I will have at least one bnb down before they happen. 10:30 PM is pretty late though.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

Kp posted:

I'll totally be down for both of these tournaments. Hopefully I will have at least one bnb down before they happen. 10:30 PM is pretty late though.

Its for the west coasters who could be running late.

PonchAxis posted:

If I can get my mitts on a copy for 360 I can stream that too unless someone else wants to do it.

edit: Switching the next PS3 tourney to Friday the 17th instead of the 16th. Same time.

Zexerous fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 9, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Evil Canadian posted:

Well I found someone the game doesn't seem to mention anywhere, you can hold the Boot on Mitsuru's qcf qcf A/B super, and if you let go after they crumple, you get a bit more damage out of it.

Conversely, if you let the boot charge all the way, it does something like 4000 damage but nobody would be dumb enough to fall for that.

There's an elaborate combo you can do in the corner where you combo into the Mabufudyne and then into the full boot, does a whole lot of damage. It also causes crumple stun at max charge so you get a free hit after it. But yeah it's worthless to full charge otherwise.

I found a pretty "serious" bug in the game. If you are in a single "round" in training mode for too long (a few minutes or so), the game starts dropping frames like crazy. You can fix this by just hitting the Reset Position of course. But it's worth knowing in case you are grinding on a combo for a long time. Also I only tested this with Labrys so it might be specific to her or might be effected by using a lot of supers or something.

Also uhg are the training mode options for Labrys terrible. Why can't I adjust the Axe meter's actual value? Why isn't there an option to make the meter reset to your settings after each combo? Makes testing combos and axe gains a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Also not really sure what's up with Labrys's tech scaling on her 236236D super. There seems to be one weird thing where the wrong hit of the super connects first?? And that causes the untechable time to be way too short for the whole super to connect. There's also another weird thing where you'll connect with it properly, but then some hit in the middle will mysteriously cause 0 hit stun and so it'll just drop. You can certainly work around both issues, but it's just ... weird.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Also uhg are the training mode options for Labrys terrible. Why can't I adjust the Axe meter's actual value? Why isn't there an option to make the meter reset to your settings after each combo? Makes testing combos and axe gains a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Just use the B version of Brutal Impact to ditch your Axe Meter and start over from there?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 9, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

404GoonNotFound posted:

Just user the B version of Brutal Impact to ditch your Axe Meter and start over from there?

Fastest way is 236236D OMB/OMC as far as I know, since you always lose the meter even if only the first hit comes out. It works but it's still tedious, like if you're trying to test "low green" axe combos VS "high green" axe combos, you have to not only kill your meter with the super, but also build it back up to the correct value.

It's not a really big deal but it just seems like kind of a big oversight in an otherwise really good training mode.

Honestly I think not showing her actual axe meter on screen was a pretty big oversight too. Guess they wanted to make her a little more obtuse for whatever reason.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Oh poo poo, first online match since patch and get totally wrecked because its my very fist multiplayer match that isnt slow motion.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

It's times like these I really enjoy living close to work so I can take my lunch break at home and put some practice in. I'm starting to get the hang of some of Elizabeth's basic combos, plus it's fun taking advantage of people who don't know how to punish her 5C string online in these early days.

Does anyone know how to unlock phrases for the title system? I'm enjoying my current title of "Everyday I Like Fried Chicken" but I'd like more variety than the few phrases I currently have.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I'm currently the Ham Trajectory Investigation Team. The phrases are a lot of fun.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Groghammer posted:

I'm currently the Ham Trajectory Investigation Team. The phrases are a lot of fun.

You have no idea how much I nerded out when TURNITOFF came up as a random option :neckbeard:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Is it known exactly how you get more title phrases? I mean I know just playing unlocks some but is there more to it?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Badingading posted:

Does anyone know how to unlock phrases for the title system? I'm enjoying my current title of "Everyday I Like Fried Chicken" but I'd like more variety than the few phrases I currently have.
I'm guessing the phrases one gets from the start are psudorandom? It's at least been nice for variety, as everyone I've seen has phrases I don't have. If they had them all unlocked from the start I'm sure we'd see a lot more of the same popular phrases. Not that I'm complaining, I love playing as "Dead End Love Affair".

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I've been using "Kaboom!Liberating My rear end!" but I was hoping to get something to do with tsundere or moe.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
My current title is "Master of Rainy Day Beef Bowl." Truly the manliest. :kamina:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Buhbuhj posted:

I've been using "Kaboom!Liberating My rear end!" but I was hoping to get something to do with tsundere or moe.

I think "My rear end!" is gonna get a lot of mileage once everyone unlocks it. For now though I'm just sticking with cute stuff like my boy Kanji and rockin "Foamy Orange Cream Soda"

MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003
I've been going with "I Like Big Booty" and "Sensual Sister Lover" because I'm basically a child.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Buhbuhj posted:

I have tsundere as a phrase, so you'll find it eventually.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started with "Ridiculous Amount of Booty" but it was a bit long so I switched to "En Fuego Errand Boy".

I believe they unlock from playing Story/Arcade Modes? It's the only thing that would make sense but it does seem pretty random.

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
Mine so far is "24/7 Mach Kill Rush" because my choice of words was quite limited.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mine is Final Emerald Buster, because I play Kanji, and it's only appropriate to have something like that if you're playing a grappler.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mine is SWALLOW WHOLE SWALLOW WHOLE SWALLOW WHOLE because I'm not very creative.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Oh man the 360 netcode actually works now and it's awesome.

Though I think ranked is hosed, that doesn't bother me a lot. I've played around 14 matches and won 12 of them (both of them vs 600+ PSR liz and Slab...) and haven't had any problems, but now my name is red, as if I'm a leaver (??) It also takes like upwards of THIRTY SECONDS to report a ranked match after you win. I won some of the matches I played faster than that! I also managed to get hate mail really fast.

The laggiest game I had made it hard to do a reversal but it's overall pretty solid.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Oh jeez. You can do 5aa2a with kanji, confirm a crouching hit or not on that, and then 5b2b if you got the crouching hit and it's not only easier to get the 5b2b to chain and cancel the 2b into a special, but it's also just the hugest drat hitconfirm ever. 5aa5b2b is an even easier hit confirm, and leaves your enemy closer if they blocked, but it lacks a low in it to keep their blocking honest.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

NecroMonster posted:

Oh jeez. You can do 5aa2a with kanji, confirm a crouching hit or not on that, and then 5b2b if you got the crouching hit and it's not only easier to get the 5b2b to chain and cancel the 2b into a special, but it's also just the hugest drat hitconfirm ever. 5aa5b2b is an even easier hit confirm, and leaves your enemy closer if they blocked, but it lacks a low in it to keep their blocking honest.

You don't want to do that hitconfirm because you need AA to confirm if they're in the air to do the followup. The 2A also knocks them out of range for a lot of good tick setups.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
Nice to see Atlus needs to advertise patches :allears:

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
So with the fixed netcode, how does it feel? I've been holding out purchasing in part because I didn't want to find out that even with fixed netcode it ended up like MVC3 or KOF13.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
If you do 5aa with kanji and confirm it's hitting them standing, what can you even do off that? 5b, sweep into chair slam? I guess I could just do auto combo.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jmcrofts posted:

If you do 5aa with kanji and confirm it's hitting them standing, what can you even do off that? 5b, sweep into chair slam?

2A or 2B, 2AB, QCFA is the best setup yes. You can't do a lot of damage to a standing person off 5A as Kanji.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I guess having the threat of 5b into command throw is still pretty good though.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

If you do 5aa with kanji and confirm it's hitting them standing, what can you even do off that? 5b, sweep into chair slam? I guess I could just do auto combo.

yeah 2a 2a+b 236a. You don't get a heck of a lot of options. You can also tick throw off of the hit/block stun from 5b.

As far as I can tell it basically goes

Was 5aa blocked? 5b then tick throw or anti air throw or block or try to catch them with 5c or 2c, or 5aa again to stuff jump out attempts.

Did 5aa hit them standing? 2a 2a+b 236a. You've also got the option to OMB or OMC off of the 2a+b and get quite a bit more damage.

Did 5aa hit them crouching? 5b 2b then do the rest (the rest depends on meter and spacing, usually 236b~j214b midscreen, or 236c+d and more stuff if you have the 25 meter to spend and want some more damage.

Did 5aa hit them jumping? ja jb j214b (sometimes ja jb dja jb j214b works)

I'm not sure what you can get off of 5aa on a counter hit, but it's pretty easy to confirm that too.

Mostly you just want to get the other person scared of tick throws, so you can start fishing for 5c, 2c and jc fatal counters, any of which is going to be 4k+ damage.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 9, 2012

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Yo all you Kanji players:

How do I beat you? This is like day 1 tager all over. Jumping chair swing reminds me of the pipe.

Someone in IRC was talking about "don't tech"... Can anyone elaborate? Ground or air tech?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Kanji has horrible mid range game, duck his air beatdown move and learn a really good Fatal Counter combo to follow up with a punish. Jump around a lot and press light attacks, because that will beat his air grab startup and bait his reversal.

Pressing buttons outside of his 5b range is a great way to just kill his persona.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure "don't tech" is a tager reference.

Don't forget you can duck kanji's air tackle throw thing. That move is a noob killer until they figure out how to duck and punish.

If you're paralyzed the only way to get out of command throws is 2+ac (short hop) since you can't jump.

If he's trying to frame trap with his D (lightning seismo thing) on you, don't forget you can dodge (a+b) to escape it so you don't have to block.

Persona break him whenever possible since he can't really do anything without it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Basically, play footsies. Kanji's normals are mostly pretty poo poo, and he's up poo poo creek without a paddle without his persona.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So what's this about one of Yosuke's alt colours being inspired by Wild Tiger from Tiger and Bunny?

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
I've noticed people ducking Kanji's air grab the best solution is to mix it up with his "chair" pipe and you get someone begging to grabbed or smacked in the head. I swear nothing feels better than getting in on Yukiko or Elizabeth with Kanji and then start with the manly grabbing.

Also my title is "Smutty God's Hand Sack of" :3:

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
"Un-adulterated Chic Animal" here. Not 100% in love with it but it fits for Teddie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
shoot lasers at kanji and kill his robot

• Locked thread