Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Spiking posted:

This thread is a really weird mix of FG fans and RPG fans peacefully coexisting. But will it last after the game is released???!!

Calling it: Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone wants to play, add jmcrofts on PSN. I'm brand new at this, trying to learn Kanji.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gaseous Snake posted:

Sent ya an invite. Time to see if I've improved any.

Sorry my PS3 is loving up so I might not be able to play for a while. It started freaking out a while ago but I thought it was back to normal because I played this game for like 2 hours earlier today, but now nothing's working :<

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Radish posted:

I know the voice actor for Adachi is the same guy that did the main character's voice in battle and stuff but it looks like he's doing everything for him now. When he talks in the story I can't not hear Adachi saying it...

Just waiting for Yu to start calling women bitches, and to become a creepy raper guy.

E: I guess I should spoiler that

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They're called challenges for a reason. They're supposed to be hard.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

I hate to quote myself but I feel like it got ignored in the wake of that other guy.

I just played someone in a velma-colored chie with glasses, that's hilarious.

Peep this:

http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv/b/327725904?t=107m05s

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

2012 posted:

Can I get a quick bit of advice?

I've never been great at Arksys games - more of an SF guy myself. Is it better to just get the basic controls down and jump into arcade/online mode at the beginning, or is it better to do shitloads of training mode.

Do the tutorials. Then pick a character, do their challenges at least to learn their special moves and most basic combos. Then mess with them in training/arcade/story until you know all their moves, and as soon as you're comfortable with that start messing with fighting real people.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

2012 posted:

Cool cool. Thanks. This game definitely feels like I can't just pick it up and beat people with honed fighting game logic. Gotta get those juggles down.

Well one of the nice things is that if you KNOW they're gonna press a button you can press b+d and beat it, without having to get good at reversal DPs or knowing character specific stuff or anything. Or, if you need a punish or hit confirm but are too flustered to do a real combo, auto combo is actually pretty decent for most characters so you can go to that if you need it. The game actually scales down in skill/experience levels pretty well without feeling random.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

I just cannot get the hang of Kanji's 5b 2b chain, I know it doesn't work on standing enemies, but the timing on the thing when it will work is so drat strict it's driving me crazy.

You have to chain it REALLY fast. You can do 5a 2b on crouchers as well and IMO it's an easier link.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you do 5aa with kanji and confirm it's hitting them standing, what can you even do off that? 5b, sweep into chair slam? I guess I could just do auto combo.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I guess having the threat of 5b into command throw is still pretty good though.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure "don't tech" is a tager reference.

Don't forget you can duck kanji's air tackle throw thing. That move is a noob killer until they figure out how to duck and punish.

If you're paralyzed the only way to get out of command throws is 2+ac (short hop) since you can't jump.

If he's trying to frame trap with his D (lightning seismo thing) on you, don't forget you can dodge (a+b) to escape it so you don't have to block.

Persona break him whenever possible since he can't really do anything without it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
For my Kanji bros, there's a pretty good series showing off some highly practical combos from just about every position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0qTRhWWZWE

You can see the rest of them here:

http://shoryuken.com/2012/08/09/persona-4-arena-practical-kanji-tatsumi-combo-tutorial/

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

At this point the main reason I wouldn't want to pick this game up is because of the fetid poo poo-pit that is the average fighting game community. It's hard going if you don't find stuff like the above amusing.

Pretty sure you will see the same poo poo in any online game where someone is the loser.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LibbyM posted:

Labrys, Aigis, Shadow Labrys, Kanji, Teddie, Elizabeth.

Half the cast in this game are characters I seriously want to main. The characters are too fun and this is a problem.

Just learn the other half of the cast and you can main random :unsmigghh:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why Atlus wanted to make a P4 fighting game, made a large percentage of the characters not from P4, and then made all top tier characters those from P3.

Hint: Developers don't decide what characters are top tier.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dogbutt posted:

Is it a bad thing I find blocking kinda hard? I don't play a lot of fighting games, so my reaction speed isn't exactly the fastest. I mean, I can block when needed, but the moment I stop I'm dead.

No that's not bad. Blocking is very hard. You just need to play enough that you start to recognize the points in your opponent's pressure where there is a hole big enough that you can stop blocking and start your own offense without getting hit.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure yuki's auto combo has neither a high nor a low in it but I'm not positive.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone got tips for Kanji vs Yukiko, specifically dealing with her 5C anti-air? I can't seem to get around that move no matter what I do, and if I just block it I never get the chance to hit the persona because he'll chain into agi.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
SA_Spiffo (plays Yukiko)
Fumaofthelake (plays Elizabeth)
RevolverChicken7 (plays Yosuke)
Static_Rook (plays Kanji)
cveachmartin (plays Yukiko?)
Cake__Attack (plays Labrys/Yu)
Drinkmorewater (plays Random)
FreyaXI (hasn't unwrapped game yet)
purgatos (plays Elizabeth/Labrys)
Dezinus (plays jobs)
LawnGnomeAttack (plays Kanji/Chie)
MangaCarta (plays one (1) Labrys combo)
SA_Pause (plays Yukiko)
DarkHamsterlord (plays Smash Bros)
sidereal89 (plays Mitsuru)
Zexerous (plays Chie)
SA_DIZZ (Plays Teddie)
NeoDrazko (Plays Yukiko/Naoto)
MrAristocrates (Plays Kanji)
jmcrofts (plays Kanji)

added me

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It is but I'm getting a new one in a couple days so add me anyway!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dizz posted:

My fight stick has the first two buttons slightly off from the other six and it sometimes puts me off a lot when I'm playing. does this happen to anyone else?

This is pretty much standard for japanese-style sticks. You'll get used to it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm still a bit confused as to why Mitsuru is the only charge character in the game. It just seems weird to me to have only one.

Tokenism.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Pepper posted:

I don't get why a "charge character" even exists because it's a retarded, counterintuitive idea. The fact that mastering Mitsuru's terrible controls gives you a pretty irritating character for everyone else to fight against it the biggest flaw in this game.

Hahaha, nope, charge characters will always own.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

I don't think either should be removed, but I think we can look at some games as examples of doing things in new (maybe better? maybe not?) ways. Like Cerebella's 360 detection in Skullgirls, I loving love that poo poo and it made her a lot more enjoyable to play, though that then raises balance questions.

You can do a standing 360 in pretty much every game that has 360s. Skullgirls just made it so that you don't have to be really fast (or use sf4 shortcuts) to do it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

E-Tap posted:

Currently world's best Kanji, Pain

Can't tell if serious...

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Safety Scissors posted:

I know pretty much nothing about the game, but I was just wondering
1) How is this game holding up? I haven't really seen too much about it.
2) Do you guys think there will be a super version?

1. Not really what this is supposed to mean, but if you're asking if this game still has a community, it does.
2. Yeah probably in 1-2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if we got DLC characters before that though.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Safety Scissors posted:

How is the online? I'm probably not going to go out to make it to any meet ups. Is it balanced? Any glitches, bugs, etc?

Online is good if you both have decent internet. I'm on PS3 and ranked doesn't seem all that populated, but I have plenty of people on my friends list to play. Game is pretty balanced, though the low tiers have a few tough matchups. No big glitches or bugs as far as I know.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elephunk posted:

Would you mind elaborating on these top-tier "brainless" tactics? Would a good example be Mitsuru getting 7k damage off a FC sweep?

Basically everything Chie or Yu can do on knockdown, I'd say.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone knows Teddie and Kanji have the best DPs.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is tier talk cool in this thread? Here's my opinion tier list:

you can make your own here

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MrAristocrates posted:

Kanji is the best, fix this immediately. :colbert:

As a fellow kanji player, I wish :smith:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elephunk posted:

What makes Teddie so good? I don't know what his corner damage combo is yet...

Good at keepaway and rushdown. Great ground and air normals, pretty good movement and speed, VERY good DP, and obviously very good crossup mixups. Certain items are gamechangers (barrel, meteors for starters), especially when combined with his awakening super. Good at hitting you with (imo) the strongest status effects, namely Rage and Fear. His damage isn't the best, but he gets pretty good damage off of a lot of good stuff, like CH 5b and throw in the corner, and of course his jump A.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Or they could take it out and give her some stuff in return, like maybe making at least ONE of her normals a fatal counter?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
For you ^^ and my other Kanji bros, got some vs Naoto technology that may or may not be well known already. Basically, if you do a slightly late meaty 5c, that beats all her reversal options (except the gunshot super). If she DPs, EX rolls, or A+C dodges, you'll get a nice fatal counter and a 50%+ combo, enjoy! This does lose to wakeup buttons, so mix it up with 5a or command throw to get em.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 4, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Batigh posted:

As a Slabs player, I am intensely envious of characters with actual safe blockstrings.

Can't you just end blockstrings in guillotine axe?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well I went to a tournament over the weekend. I got 2nd :< Here's a video of grand finals (i'm kanji):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cfVmfP4O64

I really need to watch out for wakeup super more...

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How do I beat shadow labrys quick before he comes back

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
GGs Purgatos. Elizabeth is a pain V____V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fun posted:

GGs to you too, I don't know how you read my wakeup EVERY time. I was so mindfucked that I couldn't do anything right in the last couple of matches.

Well, whenever you would DP and I would counter with my own DP, that's on reaction, not a guess. Other than that I just kind of gauge when I think you're going to dodge roll, and command throw if it feels right. Liz having bad wakeup is just about the only bearable thing about that matchup.

• Locked thread