Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Don't mean to poo poo on you because the game deserves a thread and has a good OP but there's not much info out on the game right now and there won't be more any time soon?

What I'm trying to say is this is a real early thread with almost no gameplay mechanics actually listed for characters or anything like that, so what's there to talk about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Blazblue mechanics eh? so much for this game being better than Hokuto.

Nah but seriously I hope its at least as good as Hokuto that'd be sweet.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
HNK is probably the best fighting game ever made and you shouldn't mention it in the same sentence as SBX. It is also easily superior to Blazblue and probably also this game.

Here's the best example (beware Japanese tournament announcer getting hype): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V3O9dDj4Ck

This is a video of someone playing the worst character in the game, also featuring Japanese commentary. Kinda long though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stx003HAlNk&feature=related

Anyway about this game I hope the location tests start soon because learning which Persona characters are in this isn't very interesting at all if I have no inkling as to how effective and fun they are to play in a non-RPG

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 21, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Considering Atlus had a near simultaneous release for the last fighting game they published (KoFXIII) one for this game wouldn't be outlandish or anything.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
uhhh...you do remember what happens at the end of that game right? Not that fighting games should actually follow plot points to the letter or anything but yeah.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
So the game has a Guilty Gear style burst and a alpha counter that takes life? Sure.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Unless there's something specifically unique about your Marvel stick I don't see why not?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Commands

Seems strange they didn't add an E button to this honestly.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Welp another terrible robot character.

I hope she has a cool gameplay style.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Mitsuru has aegis reflector....sort of.

Teddie has a worse (better?) version of Fausts' meteors. Actually he has a bunch of item based moves.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 1, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Spiking what is akihiko like? I'm assuming you use jab pressure followed up dashes to get in and stay in? What does the tornado icon do?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
All the Persona 3 characters they could add besides Shinjiro are terrible, and I'd rather not see them ever again. That said this is a fighting game, so despite Aigis being a very groanworthy character her general gameplay seems cool. That's all that really matters in the end.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I wonder what the damage of a situational as hell one more cancel 5 tornado combo is with Akihiko? Would it go past being unscaled and get even more powerful?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
...Because different game are different. I didn't pick up Slayer until Accent Core when I pretty much only played Testament in Slash. Blazblue is a totally different game from GG, so its no surprise that you picked up a character that is not like Sol because BB's Ragna is nothing like Sol in my opinion outside of the notion of rushdown.

Anyway I'm not sure why an Axl player would play Naoto either. Naoto is pretty much zone all day at a level Axl never seeme capable of? Also all his big damage came off Bomber Loop which you needed to be close to land.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm always surprised by the amount of people that want the P3 main character in this.

Personally for once I'm conflicted because I know fighting game plots don't matter, yet it seems like this one is going to be canon in the Persona universe or whatever. So it would be kind of lovely to bring him/her back considering all the stuff that happens in 3/FES. It's just going to be contrived no matter what.

B-B-But my anime chans :qq:

Anyway is there any Shadow Labrys footage or is she not out yet?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
In my opinion they're completely unnecessary and bad characters narratively. They really add nothing that couldn't be achieved say by another actual human being or alternatively by one of the existing characters. I don't wanna say they were added for purely sexual reasons but giving what I've heard about the "romance" you can have with Aigis in P3P yeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. But considering Ken is "romanceable" on the female path in P3P and I've heard that gets pretty creepy too apparently maybe the developers can't help but cater to the creepier parts of the fanbase.

The robots do make compelling designs for fighting games though!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
That all hinges on whether your options effect the people you play with online. In a real life/tournament setting though? :getin:

I can't even imagine how the Japanese play the game now considering I haven't seen a single video with the navigator off.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The HnK announcer was the best anyway. Why can't we get that guy back?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Isn't Kanji a Good Character like Potemkin though? Don't really see what the problem is.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
No thank you I don't wanna learn combos for annoying short gimmick characters keep that poo poo in bad games (except for jojo's) thanks

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
There is already a zoning character that can heal herself. They're gonna have to do better than that.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 22, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yukari is almost as bad as Aigis and she's already in it so no thank you please add Baofu or Shinji somehow thanks

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You do realize that a lot of players are saying that tier placement is similar to Guilty Gear AC in that every one of the low tier characters is still quite strong with several good tools right?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Depends. If you like fighting games yes.

If you don't, then no.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Alright you'll be fine I think. If you can accept losing to people (which is mysteriously a tremendous barrier some people never overcome for some reason) you'll be alright. If you liked Guilty Gear the pace is similar, and the execution is easier as well.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I still really don't know why this isn't a 5 button game. So weird.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Pretty sure Yu has a persona 3 male protag color in the arcade release right? Also spoilers for colors come on.

In any case if they make the male protag playable that's fuckin' stupid. I'd rather have the drat dog.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Veev posted:

I was just looking up colors and yeah there is one. We already have people sharing colors with people in the game though so I don't think it matters.

Yeah probably not. I'd rather they just I dunno make Shadow Yu like a full fledged character. That'd be alright.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Nobunaga as it's chief finance minister.

I wish. In any case I want this game out already so I can figure out who I want to play as more than anything else. But I gotta bunch of real rear end poo poo to do on release week so i probably won't be able to play until the weekend.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Edit: ALSO as I suspected, it looks like that the Bufudyne change actually was kind of a nerf for Mitsuru. The hitbox doesn't extend behind her at all anymore, even if the forward hitbox is a lot bigger.

I figured that's what the change was when they announced it. Good to have definitive proof. Don't use it like a dummy Mitsuru players.

Also I should probably just play Mitsuru.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm sure every ice move has a certain amount of unbreakable frames depending on strength of move/meter spent blah blah blah. So I'm pretty sure just about everyone is going to be doing legit ice combos regardless.

Though I'm pretty sure everyone knows this too so i dunno why I'm posting.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
That's been known for a bit dude. Maybe I should have warned everyone?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

I put my money down for 360 version of P4A today.

Here is hoping that Atlus manages to get that patch out within the first week, else I will be really bummed.

Considering Atlus probably isn't a high priority publisher the chance if the patch not being out by Tuesday is pretty likely. Xbox cert is apparently really loving dumb. I mean it could happen but I wouldn't be surprised, so temper your expectations

Just practice your combos for like a week or whatever.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
For those of you playing Shadow Labrys, you can do your throw command and have Asterios connect with his Knuckle Train by entering the throw as cD, like a Soul Calibur input. Just drum your fingers instead of pressing both simultaneously

It'll double the damage of the throw and allow for followups if you OMC. Probably crouch B into her staple air combo is the best you're going to do though.

Changed B to C in the edit. I'm even getting my inputs confused in my posts!!!!

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 12, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The trick is instead of doing sweep as down+AB do it as downback+AB. This allows you to start charging during the sweep, which wouldn't be possible if you did it as just down+AB.

Welcome to the charge move family.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The timing is tight on Elizabeth # 26 so don't feel too bad.

I can't really give you any advice besides buffer your dash near the end of the animation. There doesn't seem to be any trick to it other than that.

Oh, and hold up as soon as you do qcb+a with Thanatos. Don't bother trying to time the jump animation, focus on hitting a with the right timing.

For Chie # 24 try hitting the first stand C just as he's about to touch the ground. This one is much easier to time than Liz # 26.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 12, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If you think 23 is bad 26 is gonna make you die.

For 23 enter your dash near the end, time it as they're hitting the wall basically. The next thing is timing C, since if you do it too early you'll whiff. Look at the demo and see how many steps Liz takes before she throw out Thanatos.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Mr. Fun posted:

Any, er, tips for 26? Cannot time it for the life of me.

Hey how's it going

For 26 my advice is honestly the same. You need to learn the timing of the dash. Start buffering just as she's about to stop moving backwards after the grab. At least that's how I time it. You then have to press A obviously, but you can't really confirm visually that you're running like 23, as you need to do it fast. It takes practice.

The next hard part is linking jump A soon enough that it hits before the ice. Hold upforward to make it easier.

You can also wait until they enter fear status from the devil tarot, as it'll make the link between jump A and bufu even easier, as you don't have to hit A before the ice hits.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
...if Mitsuru lands full 6C or 4C on fatal she gets a free 4.2 combo with marin karin meter drain. She gains 50+ meter and you gain none. Midscreen

She has additional combos that do similar damage for using OMC off regular hit iirc. Which is about the same I spend meter wise on EX moves that leave my opponent on the other side of the screen. Not directly next to me to get owned some more.

So yeah man she's actually really good everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

The Grimace posted:

edit: Oh, wow, I didn't realize her defense was so low compared to everyone else. That's a huge shame. :smith: It would definitely explain some of the problems I have had though.

Hi buddy how ya doin?

Here's 13 tips by me.

I call it :spooky:13 Deadly Tips For Liz, The Second Worst Character In The Game (?!):spooky:

1. Maziodyne is a really good move. Mix up your use of A & B Mazio as if you use one too much you'll get blown up by something! This is the move that buys you time to get meter. Every blocked Mazio is essentially 3-4 meter. However, be especially careful against smart players. You'll probably only get off two or three before they wise up and get around it.

2. Never use any version of Garudyne outside of a combo. I'm serious you're going to get hosed up.

3. If they're paralyzed by EX Mazio and somewhat close to the corner while you still have a bit to go to get to them, consider using Maragi C to get in more safely. This usually isn't necessary, but it can help control you screen against characters that can move horizontally well despie being paralyzed, like Mitsuru. Otherwise, don't use any version except Maragi EX during the neutral game, especially against aggressive opponents as you might get blown up!

4. Mamudoon and Mahama are worthless. Even in the best situation, you basically sacrifice advantage and meter for something that's taken away if you even block. Worthless.

5. Your tarot command throw is really good. If you're under pressure from especially aggressive characters like Chie and Mitsuru, it is easy to counter them as long as you remain unpredictable. That said wait for something super vulnerable that is practical to react to like Chie's All Out Attack and Mitsuru's sweep to do it and reset their momentum.

6. Bufudyne is another move that should be only done in combos. It is quite hard to space and time properly as an anti-air. Ex Bufu has armor frames but they only happen once Thanatos has materialized.

7. Mind Charge is a funky move. You can use it to extend combos, see a mixup, gain meter if you have a lot of life, gain about 2/3rd's of a persona card if you're broken, blow yourself up thinking you can beat meaty Chie C, etc etc. Be careful how you use it.

8. Thanatos is super important to Liz. Stand C is a two hit normal that pushes back, generating some space for you. However, Thanatos is not safe and Liz herself can't cover him. If you're in that situation you have 5 practical options. Stand C again, Stand D, Crouch C, Jump C, and nothing. Have your opponent effectively shook up and you'll be able to get away with doing nothing, which is cool since Thantos will be back with you and you can start doing Mazio again! Of course, good players can react to a lot of these options, so expect to get your card broken. It's pretty inevitable, so don't feel too bad.

9. Don't use AAA string ever. It is terrible. Instead learn this combo.

5B 2B j.B j.C EX Garudyne while holding down, then slowly transition to downforward, wait a bit for them to drop, 5B 5C 2C B Bufudyne.

You can also start this combo with one (just one!) crouch A. At the end you can tack on a bunch of stuff depending on if you wanna spend meter or not and where you wanna position them, such as EX Maragi (as long as they're not close to the corner), run forward some EX Mazio, run forward a bit B Mazio, or run forward a lot A Mazio. This probably isn't the best combo for super entry level beginners, but you should practice it as it is not that hard.

10. Crouch C is a crazy normal. It has armor after the startup, and if they touch it they get hit guaranteed. You can follow it up with other stuff, but you must cancel very fast. There's a little trick to help you with that!. If you input a special move during courch C's animation, the move won't preform itself unless crouch C actually hits. So time the buffer of the move you want to come out based on your screen position, regardless of if couch C hits or not. Typical moves include A Mazio, Ex Mazio, and B Bufu (this one only if they're on the opposite side of the screen/the corner).

11. Ghastly Wail is okay. It grabs based on Thanatos' position, but you can't really tick with it using Thanatos normals because they can jump after the super flash every time. It gains damage from fear, but Crouch C fear increases that damage even more, dealing a whooping 6300!!! Still, in most situations you probably shouldn't go for it. But it is useful to keep in the back pocket.

12. Her Stand D is a grab. If it counter/fatal counter hits, you can wait for them to hit the wall, then 5B 5C 2C B Bufudyne into typical enders. If it normal hits I would recommend you do j.A j.B j.A j.B j.C or any version of Garudyne. There is a better combo but it would be quite hard for you I think.

13. Don't get hit why did you loving get hit fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

That's it...

• Locked thread