Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
So you can mash one button and get a full combo into a super. This isn't a easy mode option or anything, just something you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Maya isn't "pure" enough, Junpei stole Chidori, and Eikichi looks too effeminate

Otaku would hate all three and that won't sell the cashmoney

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

interrodactyl posted:

Here's a PDF showing the movelist.

Looks dead simple - I don't even know if some of the moves will have L/M/H versions because specials involve multiple buttons.

236, 214, 236236, 214214, 22, and 2 for motions, it seems. That's about it. A few charge motions here and there, but nothing huge.

I never thought I'd get :smug: about execution in fighting games, but no DP inputs at all?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

so is charlie yu any good? All the games seem to be mitsuru and chie vs kanji and naoto

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

One of my only issues with this game is that the character movesets seem a little barren compared to previous arcsys games. Do you think this was an intentional choice or just the result of trying to keep things simple (if nothing else, no dp motions cuts down on the maximum number of moves)?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

both persona 3 protagonists ice climbers style please

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Some actually good Yu gameplay holy poo poo!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBNcD30DemA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDCp_kvz04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1olWHYTu2s

I am all over this character.

I just noticed that this game seems to have the skullgirls hitstun meter under the combo numbers, was I just blind or is that a new thing?

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 12, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

"you get more meter and you can do another super" is my favorite comeback mechanic ever.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

He could be a ghost like geese

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

That they decided to put in another overly anime robot girl instead of this makes me sad in pants

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

eff that, gonna rock overly shaded yu and beat up all the waifus

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Yet another arcsys game without slayer in it

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Isn't Teddie the Star, or did they change it in this game.

He's a shadow. All the human plot characters don't have an arcana higher then 13 because of DEEP SYMBOLISM.

Since we're already at 13 characters I doubt it'll happen, but I think it'd be really cool if we got koromaru so this can actually be jojos. Also please give protag an option to have his collar be popped or not like how you pick glasses tia

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

LightningKimba posted:

There is currently Persona 4 Arena on this stream, right here. Come on down!

Was this saved anywhere? Failing that anyone have some gameplay you seriously recommend? I haven't been keeping up with this game at all, and aside from an elizabeth video where she did a fullscreen combo into a reset into death from about 80% everything I've seen has been pretty mediocre.

Thought up the best possible idea for a new character that will never happen, both protagonists from persona 3, ice climbers style.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

redmercer posted:

not a nice man
Honestly that part was pretty disappointing after like five years of HOLY poo poo HITLER IS IN THIS GAME SO DEEP :supaburn:

LightningKimba posted:

Sadly no, the tourney wasn't archived at all, which is a major pain. HOWEVER, there's a lot of good stuff from Mayonaka Midnight and from Jourdal's channel, they're both hosts to a lot of Niconico vids of Persona 4 Arena.
I'm not exactly sure I have the time or the motivation to dig through hundreds of videos and hope they're really good, but thanks anyway!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

The whole thing wasn't saved, but there is Jiyuna,

Wow, thanks.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'll start reposting good stuff I see here more often. It's a real crapshoot because there are sooooo many mediocre players in videos. Are there any characters you are particularly interested in?

WOW thanks!!! I'm thinking of playing Narukami or Elizabeth, but I don't have any specific preference because I know basically nothing about this game.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 21, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

From what I've gathered, all awakening does is give you an extra supers worth of meter and a longer maximum bar, let you use another super, reduce damage a bit, and possibly make you slowly regen meter when you aren't doing anything? (it was like that in BB, dunno if they kept that like they kept the lovely throw system). Having an extra meter is worthless if you don't do anything with it, and since it only kicks in when you aren't in a combo there's the pro-strat of intentionally doping your combo before it kicks in and then doing a reset and killing them before it can even turn on. It's not "hey I hit all the buttons and you didn't guess right, looks like you lost"

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

For darealkooky,

Wow excellent! Honestly I completely forgot about this, thank you.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

People in Europe don't want to wait I guess

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Axle_Stukov posted:

Nanako is another announcer.

I think it'd be cool if she exclusively rooted for yu, like how Rise won't cheer for P3 characters if they fight a P4 character.

Cityinthesea posted:

I'm still mad about the fact that Arc wanted Dojima in the game with Nanako as his Persona and Atlus wouldn't let them :argh:

no you see they need to keep it consistent with the storyli ANIME SCOOLGIRL ROBOTS

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Just realized, does this game not have a taunt button? If so I might have to join that boycott

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Seeing as how Adachi has the exact same persona as the protagonist only-he-has-a-gun, and is the worst character, I'm really glad he's not in this game.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

shabrys already does that, doesn't she?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I wanna say the guy to the left is Ekichi, but that would be bananas

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

I really can't get the desire for Yukari being in this.

Yukari adds another demographic of anime waifus that isn't covered at all by any of the wafius already in the game, was basically the heroine of persona 3 until they realized how popular aigis was and made FES, and since she was in everyone's party at all times I guess people just got attached to her.

As for moveset like the other guy said make her play like mina/hawkeye and have her zoning game be less about setups and screen control and more about putting lots of projectiles on the screen, I dunno, I never really wanted her but I can see it working out okay.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

What about the fact that Yukari gets way more actual character development stuff outside of slinks compared to everyone else? Being in an identical situation to the protagonist and getting the most scenes with him out of your entire party (who aside from Junpei really don't get any at all?). I'm not sure how Mitsuru can really be anything resembling a heroine when outside of slinks you talk with her twice in the entire game. Aigis being the only person on the roof until the psp game is A Thing, but I dunno, I don't really wanna sit here white knighting a videogame character.

So, Elizabeth, why is she bottom tier? Is she reverse Phoenix where her options just dont make up for her health, or is everyone else just even dumber? Like, I'm still gonna sub her because she looks really fun to play, but I wanna know what excuse to use to justify my losses.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah more or less. She's a "glass cannon" and her defensive options are loving terrible, and her offensive options aren't good enough to make up for it.

I see, that sucks. When I see her do a 50% combo from fullscreen into a grab reset into another 50% combo from fullscreen against a character like chie who apparently has megadumb pressure I guess I just found it hard to believe.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Atlus has hosed gamers for the last time I'm gonna start a boycot!!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

2 reversal bursts, and a guard cancel.

garfieldbowltoss.jpeg

If I'm reading that right isn't it only one burst with multiple uses? You either get out of a combo, gold burst, or use it to extend combos?

They made it four buttons for pad players obv :getin:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I just found out that you can't chip people to death, and they brought back that stupid "wiggle the stick to escape freeze" thing from CT.

arcsys why

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Groghammer posted:

Does anyone have footage of those Elizabeth combos where she casts Mahamaon in the corner then combos the opponent until it instant-kills them?
Here, have a (slightly) less situational combo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6wL8VAd-s0&feature=plcp#t=02m45s

quote:

Yuki is a surprise to me .
Here, have a really sick yukiko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGYTlC5XZmU&#t=15m57s

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I'd join, but I only have a single cable, so I can't be online and on PSN at the same time.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Cityinthesea posted:

(she actually sounds like a high schooler instead of sounding like she's 30)

I knew quite a few girls that sounded like chie in highschool. I gotta agree that the new voices aren't as good, but they're also less horrible in game/when you get used to 'em.

DLC glasses is probably the worst thing ever but this game is pretty awesome so it's okay.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 7, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I joined the tournament, but I'm not exactly sure how this is going to go down, is there an IRC or something?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I gotta say I'm really liking the Brooklyn accent on labrys, I completely hated her because her japanese voice was so obxnious, but now she's okay. Too bad the three labrys players will all use japanese

RE:alternate endings, only yukiko, chie and kanji have a "bad" ending that's made by dialogue choices.

MY ANIME GF posted:

Anyone got any Elizabeth tips?

Here are my scrubby day-1 opinions.

- Only use her autocombo for styling on people, the moves aren't good and you dont need the extra meter (does liz even GET meter from landing hits?)
- at neutral throw out B attacks. In parctular crouching B is really good because it leaves you in the air afterwards, meaning if you hit someone with it you can instantly do air B and they get to sit there and block
- Her persona normals are all disgusting but you need to be careful with them because if you get persona broken you might as well just put down the controller because you just lost 90% of what makes you good. standing C has really good range but you need to make sure it hits them, after that you can cancel into one of three things: crouching C dinosaur roar (has armor and fears them, beats mashers) D grab/posion (beats honest people that sit there and block you) or lightning (safest option)
- crouching C, standing/jumping D, and her normal grab all cause fear, you really want this because when you hit someone in fear state you get automatic fatal counters (they can't tech your combo until they hit the ground) this is how do all those incredibly silly 8k combos that last 10 seconds.
- Her invicible grab is techable and jumpable, be careful with it (I've noticed you can mash it in the middle of labryss blockstrings, that's A Thing) also keep in mind it doesn't actually do damage/has a longer startup/is harder to combo afterwards and that you should use her regular throw sometimes
- Ghastly wail during fear does something silly like 6k damage :getin:, you can even combo into it (even though it's a grab) by doing freeze -> all out attack ->one more cancel -> ghastly wail
- Day 1 troll tactic, combo into ex lightning and mash on whiffed grabs

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

The matchmaking in player matches is loving awful, it takes foreverfor the game to check someones connection, and half the time the connection it checks is a loving private match I can't join (why does it even show these?)

I never thought I'd miss something from marvel 3

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Now that i'm playing her labrys is actually a lot of fun, how the hell do you play this character besides mashing on her DP and doing autocombo? I've noticed that her persona normals are all projectiles, I feel like that and her spike could lead to some serious setups.

quote:

Quick question, though. Are there any character story modes playable without major spoilers?
Nope, they spoil pretty much every single moment/character interaction in persona 3/4.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

darealkooky posted:

Now that i'm playing her labrys is actually a lot of fun, how the hell do you play this character besides mashing on her DP and doing autocombo?

I hate to quote myself but I feel like it got ignored in the wake of that other guy.

I just played someone in a velma-colored chie with glasses, that's hilarious.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

6 hours later and I still have not managed to beat an online Kanji with Teddie. Got close once or twice though.

kanji pro-tip number 1, you can duck his flying tackle grab

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

MY ANIME GF posted:

Here's what I'm doing, at the moment. It puts the enemy into fear state and paralyze for a nasty reset if you have the meter.

B, C, C c.C, QCB A (Freeze Up Slash Thing), SP QCF A, (Ex-Bigass Beam), and then reset. The BEST way to do this combo, IMO, would be to use mind charge in the middle and immediately reset with the 600k command grab hyper once they're paralyzed.

you can actually combo into the grab super with ice -> all out attack -> one more cancel -> super. the first hit of an all out attack (and a couple other moves among the roster) put people in this goofy looking spinning state that lets you grab them during a combo

day 2 impression of this game is that it still rules, two things that I really noticed today are the various little ways persona attacks work (elizabeth can do her jumping C, land, and fire her laser above her head) and the awesome title system.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

How the titles work is the game gives you GIGANTIC (unlockable) list of 1-2 word long fragments, and you can stick three of em together in any order you want (you can also leave spots blank)

it's a really excellent feature, especially since it has everything you could ever want

• Locked thread