Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Jazz is a musical style that originally came from ragtime, with swing being its first iteration, popularized by artists like Billie Holiday and Louis Armstrong. While it originally proliferated in the south among African American communities, it truly gained popularity in New York City on 52nd street, particularly between 5th and 7th avenues, where numerous jazz nightclubs were producing the music of America.

It is true, jazz is probably the most notable and truly American music in history. It has spread worldwide, taken on many forms, and has been fused to produce even more genres, such as bossa nova. While there are many, many popular musicians in the jazz genre, none have been more notable or legendary than Miles Davis, who lived through generations of jazz music and evolved along with them. But first, let's take a brief journey through jazz and its beginnings.

Dixieland jazz

Dixieland, or "hot" jazz, originated in New Orleans and, along with swing, is one of the earliest forms of jazz. It combined brass band, ragtime, blues, and French Quadrilles with polyphonic improvisation. The definitive sound begins with one instrument, typically a trumpet, creating the melody and the "front line" instruments improve upon that melody. This creates the polyphonic sound, something that is missing in regimented big band jazz or the unifying sound of the later bebop. Louis Armstrong's All-Stars popularized this sound, although his presence can be found in swing and jazz in general. This sound died for the most part with the popularity of swing, but is still played today.

Examples:

Preservation Hall Jazz Band - St. James' Infirmary
Soul Rebels Brass Band
Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Ain't Nothin' But a Party

Swing (big band jazz)

Big band jazz focused on a collective sound, but innovated on the original idea of swing music by allowing individual musicians to take on solos and improvs, a fundamental idea of what would come to define jazz. These groups blended whites and blacks, culminating in gradual desegregation in the popular music scene of America. One of the primary functions of big band jazz was to keep the dancing feeling going, a prominent feature of swing.

However, the popularity of swing jazz was short, only lasting until the mid-to-late 1930s. A newer, more radical form of jazz was just on the horizon.

Examples:

Ella Fitzgerald & Duke Ellington - It Don't Mean a Thing, If It Ain't Got That Swing
Duke Ellington - Sophisticated Lady
Count Basie - Swingin' the Blues

Bebop

Bebop started in the early 1940s with artists such as Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker, musicians who had worked with Duke Ellington in his orchestra. Bebop was the beginning of jazz moving away from being music you can dance to to being music you have to sit and understand. Compared to swing, bebop feels fast and disjointed, relying heavily on dissonance and different phrasing. Alongside that, you can hear the ever-popular ride pattern from snare drums as percussion began to complement rather than be an overpowering focus in the music. This style created the idea of "improv" in jazz, which would come to define the heart and soul of jazz itself. Musicians would play off of each other, creating rich harmonies and melodies that would differ every single time they played the same song. In many ways, bebop challenged a lot of contemporary theories about musical structure, and would come to shape the future of jazz forever.

Examples:

Charlie Parker - Embraceable You
Charlie Parker - I've Got Rhythm
Dizzy Gillespie - Bebop
John Coltrane - Moment's Notice

Cool jazz

The excitement and tension of bebop began to cool off towards the end of the 1940s, and while bebop remained popular, cool jazz was where things really began to take off. Cool jazz emphasizes longer, more emphasized notes, and its starting point can be traced back to Miles Davis' first major record, Birth of the Cool, and this style would dominate jazz for at least ten years.

Examples:

Modern Jazz Quartet - Vendome
Dave Brubeck - Take Five
Miles Davis - Boplicity
Stan Getz - Misty
Duke Ellington & John Coltrane - In a Sentimental Mood
Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Midnight Walker
Dave Brubeck - Strange Meadowlark

Hard bop

However, not every artist was content to chill out their bebop desires. Towards the end of cool jazz's popularity, hard bop emerged in direct response to prolonged notes and instead created an even harder, more tense form of jazz that could come off as relentless. It is a jazz style that refuses to let you go the longer you listen to it, but is also incredibly complex and beautiful. This style of jazz would later evolve into free jazz, some of the most complex jazz one can listen to.

Examples:

Miles Davis - Walkin'
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
Horace Silver - Camouflage

Modal jazz

Once again, ever since the birth of cool jazz, Miles Davis was on the forefront of yet another jazz trend, modal jazz. Modal jazz takes the mode, or basic musical structure, and uses it as the foundation for complete improvisation. With it, one creates a melody that uses few modes, moving away from the harmony of a jazz group to a succinct and readable melody; chords can last for many measures, and while bebop and hard bop used them to provide the background for solos, modal jazz used them solely for improv. The premiere album of this genre was Kind of Blue, by Miles Davis, which is both the most classic jazz album of all time and also the most popular, selling millions of copies to date.

Examples:

Miles Davis - So What
Miles Davis - Freddie Freeloader
Bill Evans - Blue in Green
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things

Free jazz

Also called avant-garde jazz, free jazz focuses on complete atonality, eschewing the meters, beats, and regulated structure of all the genres of jazz before it. Free jazz is also called "world jazz", because its spread worldwide allowed it to blend with many different kinds of music from many different cultures. The free harmony and tempo of free jazz made it immediately controversial, and it is undoubtedly the most difficult genre of jazz to get into. However, among the perceived chaos, there is a method, and it is fascinating. Unlike bebop or hard bop (and perhaps modal jazz), free jazz (along with cool jazz) continues to be popular to this day and many artists enjoy its inherent freedom.

Examples:

Sun Ra - Door of the Cosmos
Ornette Coleman - Voice Poetry
Charles Mingus - Better Git It In Your Soul
John Zorn - Gevurah
John Zorn - Khebar
Pharaoh Sanders - Thembi

Post bop and soul jazz

Both of these movements in jazz were small, and not easily identifiable in the grand history of jazz. Post bop is a sort of melting pot of hard bop, modal jazz, and free jazz, and is popularized by many of the same musicians of those genres. Soul jazz, however, took hard bop and infused blues and gospel music into it, creating repetitive hooks and less complex improvisation.

Examples:

Wayne Shorter - Fee Fi Fo Fum
Miles Davis - Footprints
Horace Silver - Song for my Father
Jimmy McGriff - The Worm
Freddie Hubbard - Black Maybe

Jazz fusion

While bebop and cool jazz dominated the 40s and early 50s, hard bop and modal jazz the late 50s and early 60s, and free jazz/soul jazz/post bop the late 60s, the 70s brought along jazz fusion. Jazz fusion took on many forms, the most popular being rock. Jazz artists looked to the rising popularity of Jimi Hendrix and wanted to blend jazz with it, which showed the world the versatility of jazz itself. The mixed meters and odd time signatures along with syncopation created a new and unique tone to jazz. Though many resisted the idea of blending these two genres of music, it proved fruitful to the musicians who capitalized on it.

Examples:

Weather Report - Birdland
Mahavishnu Orchestra - You Know You Know
Miles Davis - Bitches' Brew
Jaga Jazzist - One-Armed Bandit

Jazz funk

Jazz funk is characterized by having a strong groove, along with heavy use of synthesized beats. It is the result of blending funk, soul, and R&B into jazz. Oddly enough, jazz funk brought back a lot of the "swing" feeling that had been missing from jazz since the early '40s.

Examples:

Miles Davis - Tutu
Herbie Hancock - Heartbeat

Gypsy jazz

Also known as "hot club jazz", or "manouche jazz", this form of jazz started in France in the 1930s and was at the height of its popularity in the 1950s, but remains popular today. Started by Jean "Django" Reinhardt, this form of jazz combines a chromatic Gypsy flavor with a swing jazz kick. It is also the only form of jazz where guitar is a main element, replacing the typical horn in the ensemble. It, along with the renewed swing jazz movement, keep the original archetype for jazz alive today.

Examples:

Django Reinhardt - Minor Swing
Pearl Django - Gypsy-attle
Biréli Lagrène - Stella by Starlight

Today's jazz

Jazz of today has become blended with so many genres it may not be even distinguishable anymore. I'll first give some examples of the continuation of certain forms of jazz, like cool jazz, but also give mention to the rise of smooth jazz, a form most associated with "elevator music" due to its easy-listening characteristic, and pop jazz, which has helped commercialize jazz into something more casual. Along with that, nu-jazz, acid jazz (jazz with more soul and funk, perhaps hiphop), and jazz hop have each earned interesting places within the jazz pantheon.

Examples:

Ruben Miller Band - Love L.A.
Esperanza Spalding - I Know You Know
Gretchen Parlato - Better Than
Taylor Eigsti - Speaking Song

Swing revival

Big Phat Band - The Jazz Police
Brian Setzer Orchestra - Stray Cat Strut
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Save My Soul

Acid jazz

Jamiroquai - Alright
Us3 - Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)
Brooklyn Funk Essentials - Take the L Train (To Brooklyn)
Thievery Corporation - The Mirror Conspiracy

Nu-jazz/jazz hop

Jazzanova - L.O.V.E. (And You, And I)
Blazo - Distant Graphite
DJ Shadow - What Does Your Soul Look Like Pt. 1 (Blue Sky Revisit)
Nujabes - Music is Mine
Dela - We Will B Free
Jazz Liberatorz - Blue Avenue
Flying Lotus - Arkestry
Flying Lotus - German Haircut

Modern jazz improv

BADBADNOTGOOD - J Dilla Medley
BADBADNOTGOOD - Bastard/Lemonade
BADBADNOTGOOD - Flashing Lights
James Farm - Chronos
Neil Cowley Trio - Fable

Miles Davis once said jazz is dead. However, it has continued to evolve and adapt, like it always does. It may not share the dominant musical zeitgeist that pop music does today, but it will continue to inspire for many, many generations.

For anyone who wants to immerse themselves in the beauty of jazz history, there are two must-have compilations to get, that are super cheap, off of Amazon:

The Perfect Jazz Collection Volume 1

The Perfect Jazz Collection Volume 2

50 classic jazz albums, so awesome.

This thread encourages all discussion of all types of jazz, including ones I haven't talked about here.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobosayskweh
Oct 11, 2009
Great OP! I could probably suggest song additions to each of your headings, but there is more than enough already. I am a saxophonist of thirteen years - primarily alto and tenor, and a little soprano on the side. I have studied jazz for about eight years, and though I am not an amazing improviser, I can hold my own. It is still a lot of fun!

So, Azure, which is your favorite type of jazz?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Chocobosayskweh posted:

Great OP! I could probably suggest song additions to each of your headings, but there is more than enough already. I am a saxophonist of thirteen years - primarily alto and tenor, and a little soprano on the side. I have studied jazz for about eight years, and though I am not an amazing improviser, I can hold my own. It is still a lot of fun!

So, Azure, which is your favorite type of jazz?

I prefer modern pop jazz, acid jazz, jazz hop, and modal jazz (and on occasion big band jazz). Bebop always has a special place in my heart, though. Could never really get into the others.

I was named after Miles Davis (first name Miles) and my parents made sure I grew up listening to both jazz and classic rock. That definitely influenced my musical tastes 22 years later.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 3, 2011

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
That's a really fantastic OP. I met my wife because she was directing a jazz choir I was singing in. She's taught me a lot about jazz singers I didn't know about, and jazz singers in general. I still prefer instrumental jazz in general, but it's definitely broadened my horizons. Ella Fitzgerald is honestly my favorite vocalist in any style. She had style, class, and amazing skill.

Another great popular jazz singer is Kurt Elling. He's still active today. He sings standards and his own compositions/arrangements, but his big claim to fame is writing vocaleses for popular jazz songs from many influences. His most famous is "Resolution", from Coltrane's Love Supreme. I highly recommend listening to it:

Kurt Elling - Resolution

As a singer, I'm seriously jealous of Elling's intonation and tone.

Most of the instrumental guys are people everyone's heard of - Coltrane, Monk, Dizzy, Charlie Parker, etc., but I thought there might be a good chance someone might be interested in Kurt Elling. I'm really not a huge fan of vocal jazz but jesus christ this guy hits it out of the park. I saw him do Resolution live in concert and he just nails it.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 3, 2011

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Nice OP! Was toying with doing something similar for a while, but was intimidated by the vast amount of ground that needed to be covered.

Is it ok to post favourites/recommendations in the thread? It's not as if SA is exactly overflowing with Jazz fans and posts in the general threads have a tendency to get lost pretty quick.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

BeigeJacket posted:

Nice OP! Was toying with doing something similar for a while, but was intimidated by the vast amount of ground that needed to be covered.

Is it ok to post favourites/recommendations in the thread? It's not as if SA is exactly overflowing with Jazz fans and posts in the general threads have a tendency to get lost pretty quick.

I don't mind. That's exactly what we need to keep the discussion going. Kind of sad that there aren't a lot of jazz fans around here, though.

_Leviathan_
Jul 12, 2006

by Lowtax
Anybody a fan of Medeski, Martin, and Wood? Great modern jazz with a really funky rhythm section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81wg6m-ko6o

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I love how you included a link to a Miles song in almost every one of those sections.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Because he was at the forefront of each of these different movements of jazz and constantly released classics for each of them? Without him jazz really would have been dead.

That was my point. He was involved in everything. What's with the hostility.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 6, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Miles Davis posted:

I've changed music four or five times. What have you done of any importance other than be white.

Oh Miles :allears: The man did have an impact on every sort of jazz so it would make sense for lots of Miles.

Free Jazz needs some John Zorn links. Goddamn, his music is...interesting, to say the least

Modern Jazz could probably have a section on the "swing revival" bands like BBVD, Setzer, and the Big Phat Band.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

stratdax posted:

I love how you included a link to a Miles song in almost every one of those sections.

I suppose this was a case of me misreading your post, it came off as being a bit incisive but I guess it was harmless. Apologies.

Just heard this sweet acid jazz track: Thievery Corporation - The Mirror Conspiracy. I'm diggin' it.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 6, 2011

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
The only jazz album I actually have and have listened to is Bitches Brew. I think I'll have to start exploring some other Miles Davis.

Also, can you suggest something that's keyboard based and very improvisational? I saw a trio play a while ago that did that kind of thing and I really enjoyed it.

x0nix
May 25, 2001

Anyone into James Farm? Joshua Redman's new(ish) band. They're my favourite modern jazzers: pretty experimental in feel but within controlled melodic structures. Can be very catchy. Listen to Poliwog or this live video.

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

The only jazz album I actually have and have listened to is Bitches Brew. I think I'll have to start exploring some other Miles Davis.

Also, can you suggest something that's keyboard based and very improvisational? I saw a trio play a while ago that did that kind of thing and I really enjoyed it.

Bill Evans. He was the pianist in Miles Davis' Kind of Blue era quintet, and a school unto himself as far as jazz pianists are concerned. His compositions are quite accessible and have great melodies yet are really 'out there' too. Listen to the "Paris February 1972" record, or "Waltz for Debby" (which might be easier to find).

x0nix fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 6, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

As x0nix said, anything by Bill Evans. I'd also suggest Lennie Tristano.

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

Here are a few the top of my head:

First up Keith Jarrett's improvised solo piano recording The Köln Concert is the best selling solo-album in jazz history and wonderful material overall, so you should definitely check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wivo94ylmhE

Thelonious Monk is one of the greats and needs to be on any list of great jazz pianists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e090gYtQiP8

While Charles Mingus is better known for his bass playing, he has some piano stuff worth checking out. Myself When I Am Real is a personal favorite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHY2AMNnrFQ

For more modern piano trio stuff, here's Esbjörn Svensson Trio (e.s.t). He died a few years ago tragically at 44 in a diving accident.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L7j6qImrlM

Jan Johansson is another legendary Scandinavian pianist, best known for his jazz adaptations of Swedish folk songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej4P6m7L-4U

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008
I used to listen to a ton of jazz, and I just came to the realization that I don't anymore. That needs to change.

Some of my favorite jazz albums are some of the long form, almost "concept albums," from the 60s.

John Coltrane's A Love Supreme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fth9UUa1Mfw

Mingus's The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17KTUqLyNcU

and Duke Ellington's The Far East Suite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QEAz-ICNvk (A video of bird drawings featuring my favorite track from the album.)Even though Duke was an old timer by the sixties, to me, that's when he reached his creative peak. I feel like Mingus's compositions/arrangements are heavily influenced by Duke and Billy Strayhorn.

There was a time in college when every time I listened to a Coltrane or Charles Mingus or Miles Davis album I hadn't heard before, I just felt this wave of excitement and energy. I used to crank up Bitches Brew and blow horrible, atonal solos on my trombone (I wasn't very good at soloing). I really wish I could make my brain forget those albums so I could listen again for the first time.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Speaking of Coltrane and Ellington, In a Sentimental Mood is one of my favorite pieces of music ever. It's gorgeous from beginning to end.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
That Free Jazz section needs a Pharoah Sanders plug; lots of people find his stuff accessible/exciting, two things you don't normally associate with jazz (still a great OP though).

As for my contribution:

A popular "fringe" piece in Coltrane's discog done by two respectable modern musicians.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
I loving love me some Davis' In a Silent Way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCnUpl6B46M

Does anyone know anything else like it?

Great to finally see a jazz megathread, jazz is the poo poo.

DOOP posted:

Free Jazz needs some John Zorn links. Goddamn, his music is...interesting, to say the least

I've only ever heard Filmworks XIV, what more of his stuff would you recommend?

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 7, 2011

x0nix
May 25, 2001

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I loving love me some Davis' In a Silent Way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCnUpl6B46M

Does anyone know anything else like it?

Love it too. Check out the album "Angel Song" by the following supergroup: Kenny Wheeler / Lee Konitz / Dave Holland / Bill Frisell. It's spooky, mysterious, contemplative and ethereal jazz at its finest - with no percussion. Here's a sample.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I've only ever heard Filmworks XIV, what more of his stuff would you recommend?

I like his Masada work best, here's the first part of a track; with the awesome Marc Ribot on guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLRcr5An5xY

Azure_Horizon posted:

I don't mind. That's exactly what we need to keep the discussion going. Kind of sad that there aren't a lot of jazz fans around here, though.

Probably old hat to most people here, but if you haven't heard of them you have to listen to Soil & Pimp Sessions, a super energetic Japanese club band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA0mlPiwszo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQMgXPFzdg8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f5_KV0-a2k&feature=related

e: And while I'm recommending things, here's Khan Jamal master of the vibes, an instrument I've always hated since seeing some lovely blowhard play terrible muzak bullshit years ago in some club. I no longer hate vibes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gplS64LwBzg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHegNm1ffCE

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 7, 2011

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

BeigeJacket posted:

I like his Masada work best, here's the first part of a track; with the awesome Marc Ribot on guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLRcr5An5xY

Probably old hat to most people here, but if you haven't heard of them you have to listen to Soil & Pimp Sessions, a super energetic Japanese club band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA0mlPiwszo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQMgXPFzdg8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f5_KV0-a2k&feature=related

e: And while I'm recommending things, here's Khan Jamal master of the vibes, an instrument I've always hated since seeing some lovely blowhard play terrible muzak bullshit years ago in some club. I no longer hate vibes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gplS64LwBzg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHegNm1ffCE

Oh sweet, Marc Ribot's played with Tom Waits on a bunch of albums, too! I love how everyone seems to have played with everyone else in jazz. Definitely gonna check out the Soil and Pimp guys.

Also, vibes are excellent. Bags Jackson!

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Oh sweet, Marc Ribot's played with Tom Waits on a bunch of albums, too!

Another notable Masada/Waits connection is Masada bassist Greg Cohen who has played bass on 7 Waits albums.

As Zorn's discography is pretty daunting (there are over 50 Masada-related albums and that's just a part of his oeuvre), here are my suggestions on some albums to check out:

Naked City
Naked City is probably the best known of Zorn's projects and the eponymous first album is imho the best to start with. It's pretty manic stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc-7BHjwW1o

Gimel
You should check out some of the original Masada material to see if you like the sound because there's lots more where that came from if you do. Gimel is a pretty arbitrary pick, but I remember it being one of the ones I liked most.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_YFXcFkZ2g

Bar Kokhba
Bar Kokhba is a double-album of Masada songs interpreted by various permutations of a chamber ensemble. Here are pianist Anthony Coleman and clarinetist David Krakauer playing Mahshav.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eab69rzHIIg

Godard/Spillane
The Godard/Spillane album has two magnificent fragmented tributes to Mickey Spillane and Jean-Luc Godard and a third shorter piece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65lHVU8hc1o

The Big Gundown
I personally don't think this album of Zorn doing Morricone quite lives up to it's promise, but still worth checking out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Pftl5CUgs

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Hey Pas2, where's good place to start with Charlie Mingus? Really dug that tune you posted earlier.

The only thing I have at the moment is some Mingus Big Band live records, which are really great.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

BeigeJacket posted:

Hey Pas2, where's good place to start with Charlie Mingus? Really dug that tune you posted earlier.

The only thing I have at the moment is some Mingus Big Band live records, which are really great.

I'm no expert but I rather enjoy Mingus Ah Um and Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus (for the name if nothing else).

Thanks for all the Zorn recs, by the way!

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

BeigeJacket posted:

My suggestions to get started with are Mingus Ah Um and Let My Children Hear Music (Adagio Ma Non Troppo is basically an orchestral version of Myself When I Am Real).

The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady mentioned earlier in the thread is also great.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I found this live performance of the Brubeck tune "Forty Days" and am currently completely obsessed with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8PQBYEkHHg

Absolutely destroys the version on 'Time In' imo. Paul Desmond's solo is amazing as usual, but Dave just gets insanely delicate in the middle, it's beautiful.

The main reason I wanted to post it though is cause it's such a harmonically simple, very non-jazz progression, and it occured to me you really don't hear this kind of simple tonality in a jazz context too often. Could anyone suggest some other stuff like this, that is jazz but built around more traditional harmony?

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008

BeigeJacket posted:

I'm going to agree with Mingus Ah Um as a great place to start, but I also feel like it's a pretty tame Mingus album compared to a lot of his others. I'm a big fan of Oh Yeah!, because I love all his singing and yelling. "Hog Callin' Blues" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv1Yewr6Z5s is a killer track.

x0nix
May 25, 2001

Relayer posted:

I found this live performance of the Brubeck tune "Forty Days" and am currently completely obsessed with it:

Absolutely destroys the version on 'Time In' imo. Paul Desmond's solo is amazing as usual, but Dave just gets insanely delicate in the middle, it's beautiful.

The main reason I wanted to post it though is cause it's such a harmonically simple, very non-jazz progression, and it occured to me you really don't hear this kind of simple tonality in a jazz context too often. Could anyone suggest some other stuff like this, that is jazz but built around more traditional harmony?

For traditional harmony system jazz I'd reccommend The Neil Cowley Trio. But it's a completely different mood to the Brubeck stuff. They are a modern jazz trio from London, writing some really amazing tunes- catchy, lively, tender, beautiful and occaisionally brutal. Post-jazz perhaps? Check out: Degree In Intuition, Clumsy Couple, Gerald, Monoface, Box Lily, Hug the greyhound.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Hot Rats is probably my favourite Zappa album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7VAOuIePVo

The beginning of that solo, dang.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Relayer posted:

I listened to this and hot drat I guess I'm a Dave Brubeck fan now.

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

BeigeJacket posted:

Go with Blues and Roots and Live at Antibes. For larger group, larger form you can't beat "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady."

Also, even though a few records were issued calling him Charlie, he preferred "Charles."

Mingus Ah Um is good music and well polished, but lacks the rawness and excitement his bands could bring. Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus covers a bunch of the same material (renamed) but in a style more typical of his live performances.

Chocobosayskweh
Oct 11, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

I prefer modern pop jazz, acid jazz, jazz hop, and modal jazz (and on occasion big band jazz). Bebop always has a special place in my heart, though. Could never really get into the others.

I was named after Miles Davis (first name Miles) and my parents made sure I grew up listening to both jazz and classic rock. That definitely influenced my musical tastes 22 years later.

Really? That's awesome! I love bebop too, though I struggle to play it well. I share the last name of a certain alto player with Bird-like tendencies too...

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Chocobosayskweh posted:

Really? That's awesome! I love bebop too, though I struggle to play it well. I share the last name of a certain alto player with Bird-like tendencies too...

Charlie Parker is the man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTORd2Y_X6U

So good.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

Needs more Mingus.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll check them out.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Can anyone help me identify the type of Jazz found in this song? Or recommend some similar sounding stuff? I love the muted trumpet and the piano together and the whole dark night club vibe the song gives off.

Derail sidestory... I was in a Jazz band in high school for a year. I liked it, but I didn't really appreciate it all that much at the time. I now think back to that time fondly.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008

Lord of Laughton posted:

Can anyone help me identify the type of Jazz found in this song? Or recommend some similar sounding stuff? I love the muted trumpet and the piano together and the whole dark night club vibe the song gives off.

I'd say that's "cool jazz." The OP has some examples, but also check out some stuff by Chet Baker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9M0pjtNr-8

What do people here think of The Bad Plus? I don't know their whole catalog, but I have These are the Vistas and Prog, which I quite like. They're a trio with a sort of avant-garde style. (Maybe you'd call it post-bop. Not quite sure.) They originals but what makes them stand out are their covers of rock and pop songs.

Heart of Glass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjyYX9gYOis

Everybody Wants to Rule the World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQY3CrBN1Bo

When I first heard about is group, it sounded a bit gimmicky to me, but after listening, I think their arrangements go beyond gimmick and are interesting and at times beautiful to listen to in their own right. All of the "American Songbook" tunes that jazz musicians cover were at one time pop songs, so why not cover more contemporary songs? Are there other musicians or groups out there that covering more modern rock and pop songs?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Lord of Laughton posted:

Derail sidestory... I was in a Jazz band in high school for a year. I liked it, but I didn't really appreciate it all that much at the time. I now think back to that time fondly.

Yeah I'd have to say that's cool jazz as well. Check out that section and the samples I provided. Though, cool jazz is still pretty popular today. Gretchen Parlato does a lot of cool jazz, but her voice might as well be an instrument of its own league.

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011
An artist that should be mentioned as very important in the development of Hard Bop is Horace Silver. It should be noted that Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers was originally Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers. I have so much respect for this loving musician. He is an iconic pianist who has made some of my favorite music and has an incredible soloing style. On albums such as Song for my Father he drives hard with his left hand while soloing creating interesting rhythms and textures.

Albums of note are Blowing the Blues Away, Song for my Father, Serenade to a Soul Sister If you have not checked out Horace Silver, please do so now!!!!

Ok, now that you have legally purchased all of his music. We can start talking about how awesome he is. One of my favorite of his songs is "Sighin' and a Cryin'" This song is so incredibly heartfelt that it makes me want to cry every time I hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOu5iWhexE0
Senor Blues is so deliciously thick, It evokes an image of a steamy dark South American nights. A night where you can almost taste the humidity in the velvety air.

quote:

I really like "Charles Mingus Sextet" especially the track Nostalgia in Timesquare.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Oscar Peterson's "We Get Request" is perfect for just starting out on jazz. I feel what a lot of people find challenging about jazz is the structure, and the harmony. This takes some old pop standards (then MODERN pop standards) and has amazing improvisation on top of it. Ray Brown ESPECIALLY shines here. I'd pair him with James Jamerson for the most soulful, funkiest, most "right" bass players, in that whatever aesthetic/musical choice they make is absolutely spot on for the tune and the arrangement.

Oliver Nelson's "Blues And The Abstract Truth" is all blues tunes, but there's something about the arrangement and playing that makes it so FRESH you don't even realize all the tunes are blues forms.

Also, anything of The Bill Evans Trio featuring Scott LaFaro. LaFaro basically changed the way jazz bass was played and it's role in a band before the age of 30, and then died before he could see his impact. I recommend Live At The Village Vanguard or Waltz For Debby.

SnakeParty: Speaking of Horace Silver, I was blown away when I found out he played piano on Miles' version of "It Never Entered My Mind". I had no idea he could play piano like THAT.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011

Noise Machine posted:

SnakeParty: Speaking of Horace Silver, I was blown away when I found out he played piano on Miles' version of "It Never Entered My Mind". I had no idea he could play piano like THAT.

what MD album is that on?

• Locked thread