Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tony police
Sep 22, 2006

cross post plug from Games:

My friend plays as part of an 8 piece Video Game Cover Jazz Band (MissingNo), which recently just played at MAGFest in Washington. This is their set from that show:

http://www.twitch.tv/magfest2/b/492636811?t=18m54s

My friend is the bassist on the far left. If you love video games & jazz then this is a pro-click! Also check YouTube and their website for some of their other recordings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
On which recording can you hear the Miles Davis quote from the topic? (I think) It is one of the "Verbin' with the Miles Davis quartet" albums but Im having trouble locating it. Google hasnt been very helpful.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

thathonkey posted:

On which recording can you hear the Miles Davis quote from the topic? (I think) It is one of the "Verbin' with the Miles Davis quartet" albums but Im having trouble locating it. Google hasnt been very helpful.

It's at the very start of "Relaxin'".

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
So here's NPR's 2013 critics' poll for jazz.

Anything they missed? Anything on there y'all think is poo poo?

I've been working my way through the list and I really dig the Cecile McLorin Salvant.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Oscar Peterson's constant grumbling/muttering/whatever in the background annoys me. :saddowns:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Keith Jarrett is way worse, IMO.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Keith Jarett could be just tapping middle C and still manage to look like he's having a stroke.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Isn't Keith Jarrett super ocd about people not talking/clapping during his shows? That's what I've heard but I haven't seen him live myself.

It seems like the studio OP albums aren't as bad with the grunting as the live ones. I was just listening to his Porgy and Bess album a couple days ago and did hear any. The studio guys must have set up his mic a little farther from his mouth.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Isn't Keith Jarrett super ocd about people not talking/clapping during his shows? That's what I've heard but I haven't seen him live myself.

Apparently so, he's also very much against electric instruments now, to the degree that he won't work with guys like Steve Swallow because of it. He makes some brilliant music, but he sounds like an incredibly awkward person to be around.

Also, despite the brilliance of his music, the whole "grunting and screeching while playing" thing really takes me out of it. I just bought Survivor's Suite recently and I found it incredibly deep - but then I hear Jarrett grunting out some notes while playing and it's like having your soda go flat in the middle of the drink.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Space Hamlet posted:

So here's NPR's 2013 critics' poll for jazz.

Anything they missed? Anything on there y'all think is poo poo?

I've been working my way through the list and I really dig the Cecile McLorin Salvant.
I've been checking it out too, thanks for the link.
Nothing has really stuck with me so far, although WomanChild was interesting at least.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
No tracks from The Vigil made even the top 50? One of the most exciting albums of the last year for me.

Capuano
Mar 17, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEvS1t1AxjU

This is a video of the Myron McKinley Trio playing at NAMM a few days ago. Myron McKinley is the music director for Earth, Wind & Fire, and also apparently a bitchin jazz pianist. I'm having trouble figuring out who the other two guys are or what the song is. Any help is appreciated. At any rate, enjoy an awesome performance!

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Capuano posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEvS1t1AxjU

This is a video of the Myron McKinley Trio playing at NAMM a few days ago. Myron McKinley is the music director for Earth, Wind & Fire, and also apparently a bitchin jazz pianist. I'm having trouble figuring out who the other two guys are or what the song is. Any help is appreciated. At any rate, enjoy an awesome performance!

The song is called E-12. It is right in the description. The band members are in the video title.

Keith Jarrett rules. I can even say that after seeing him live once and watching him spend 20 minutes complaining he was too cold to play.

Listen to the Kohln Concert or his Live in London/Paris records. They are unbeatable.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

clammy posted:

Oscar Peterson's constant grumbling/muttering/whatever in the background annoys me. :saddowns:

I loving love it. He's 'singing' ahead as he's improving, so you get to hear a hint of the relationship between his inner voice and what comes out of his fingers. The studio albums just don't have that same chaotic undulating tension between the vocal projections and the instrumental madness.

I say this as someone who is completely addicted to At the Concertgebouw, to the point that it's making all other music sound like rote boring shite in comparison.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't know why it took me so long to Mingus, but The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is the greatest album I've ever heard.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

T-Bone posted:

I don't know why it took me so long to Mingus, but The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is the greatest album I've ever heard.

Let my Children Hear Music is better. It's my favorite album.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

T-Bone posted:

It's really great. One of those albums best heard all the way through. The Duke Ellington flavor is awesome.

While I'm here, it turns out that Billy Taylor is pretty dope. Those of you who like Oscar Peterson might like him because he's got great energy and swings hard. Two good albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o8ToLmph9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TY5CKJyFVg

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

BigFactory posted:

Let my Children Hear Music is better. It's my favorite album.

Actually listened to that, too. Prefer Black Saint but Hobo Ho is a rowdy tune.

e: OK I gave it another listen and maybe love it as much. It's got such a classical like Stravinsky type feel to it. God how do you make two albums this loving good?!

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 9, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorites were Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus and that Big-Band album with Brecker and stuff that he doesn't actually play on.

DirtyDirt
Apr 27, 2005
Chairman Of The Bored

Joshmo posted:

Grant Green's live album Alive!. It's got Idris Muhammed on drums and he makes the album. I love the pants off of it. These kind of albums unfortunately got commercial fast, but anything pre-'74 is amazing. Got nothing to add from the people already posting, other than make sure you also have Donald Byrd's Ethiopian Knights, those first three bass notes let you know you're in for a great time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVuIpl_0fyg

Great call on this recommendation, Joshmo. That Alive! album is exactly the type of jam I have been looking for. Thanks for the heads up!

Does anyone have a good recommendation on any Hubert Laws work or Cal Tjader? Also I am curious to hear any good South American jazz, with Bossa Nova as well. Im always searchin', keep em coming.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Speaking of Grant Green, his "Live At The Lighthouse" is really good.

For Cal Tjader, I recommend "Solar Heat" and "Amazonas."

Capuano
Mar 17, 2009

Brekelefuw posted:

The song is called E-12. It is right in the description. The band members are in the video title.

Keith Jarrett rules. I can even say that after seeing him live once and watching him spend 20 minutes complaining he was too cold to play.

Listen to the Kohln Concert or his Live in London/Paris records. They are unbeatable.

:doh: Well, at least I know now.

I'll definitely check those out. Thanks!

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
Looking to expand my Sydney Bechet and Benny Goodman libraries. Any suggestions of good albums to check out?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

laertes22 posted:

Looking to expand my Sydney Bechet and Benny Goodman libraries. Any suggestions of good albums to check out?

Seconding this request for Sidney Bechet recommendations. I know nothing about him other than this one song that I like a lot which was prominently featured in a movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugfdd7DS7xs

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Hey this is a pretty good track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3dOMU6_QbU

I'm a sucker for a good double bass solo.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
I really need to get another copy of this one.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

laertes22 posted:

I realise that this was asked several months ago, but I just looked at the thread. Anyway.

If I had to pick one Bechet title it would be an anthology not an album---The Sidney Bechet Story, a 4 disc thing from Proper. It has material from the early '20s through the early '50s, which is everything but the very tag-end of his work.

A lot of early jazz stuff predates the album, so if you want it you're either going to be That Guy digging through ancient vinyl singles to find individual tracks or you're going to be listening to a lot of best of collections and boxed sets. All of these have problems---best of collections tend to only collect the things you're most likely to have already heard, and jazz boxed sets tend to go way the gently caress overboard with including a half a dozen alternate takes and poo poo like that. For whatever it's worth, the Proper set I recommend above doesn't do either.

Kewp
Aug 17, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KnptwcrbcA

Over the Rainbow (1953) by Art Tatum

this is one of my favorite pieces

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Can we talk about the new Flying Lotus album here? I don't see any discussion about it anywhere else on NMD and it's supposed to be a pretty jazz heavy album. It even features Herbie Hancock.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Callick posted:

Can we talk about the new Flying Lotus album here? I don't see any discussion about it anywhere else on NMD and it's supposed to be a pretty jazz heavy album. It even features Herbie Hancock.

There is an "instrumental hiphop" thread that would probably be a good place too

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Callick posted:

At the very least, I'd love to know what people in this thread think about Flying Lotus. To my mind he's exactly what jazz should sound like in the 21st century.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Callick posted:

Any track where him and Thundercat AND HH jazz it up can only be good. The one with Kendrick is pretty good too. Super psyched for this release.

Answers Me posted:

At the very least, I'd love to know what people in this thread think about Flying Lotus. To my mind he's exactly what jazz should sound like in the 21st century.

It's definitely forward thinking but jazz doesn't need to have all these bells and whistles FL-style to stay relevant imo

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

J_RBG posted:

It's definitely forward thinking but jazz doesn't need to have all these bells and whistles FL-style to stay relevant imo

Yeah I agree, I didn't mean to sound so prescriptive, like I have a set idea of what jazz 'ought' to be. It's just refreshing to hear something that wears its jazz influence on its sleeve while still sounding so 'now'

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Answers Me posted:

Yeah I agree, I didn't mean to sound so prescriptive, like I have a set idea of what jazz 'ought' to be. It's just refreshing to hear something that wears its jazz influence on its sleeve while still sounding so 'now'

Definitely, this sounds like a very natural progression for what he's been aiming at since Cosmogramma.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

It's very much a "letter of the law" versus the "spirit of the law" re: Jazz. I think a lot of his music has the spirit if it doesn't follow the letter exactly.. but then again some tracks have some surprisingly traditional jazz elements.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I think Cosmogramma has the most jazzy songs. Flying Lotus' other work has either not as much or no jazzy stuff though it seems.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can anyone identify this song from the opener? It was bouncing around my head but I don't remember the rest and want to look it up to learn it. Ignore the lack of dynamics and the tacked on ending; just trying to identify. Seems like a really obvious standard I should know the name of....

https://soundcloud.com/incredulousdylan/jazzidentify

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I like more traditional jazz, but I was recently exposed to mulatu astatke from a movie and I really want to know if there's a general jazz collection of tracks that have a similar sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezil6_aXcAI
It's far more structured and the melodies are bolder, as well as not being at all in your face about it. The grooves are very strong too.

Does anyone else make jazz that's similar? I want to get a little collection of stuff like this for the office.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

thathonkey posted:

I think Cosmogramma has the most jazzy songs. Flying Lotus' other work has either not as much or no jazzy stuff though it seems.

Cosmogramma is definitely the most outright jazzy, in the classical sense. But Until the Quiet Comes is most definitely free jazz. It's a toss up. I actually don't like the newest FL album as much as I thought I would, but I'm also just a huge fan of what he did with Cosmogramma and wish he stayed in that sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Went out for lunch (mostly liquid) with a dear friend. Good stuff. However I declined their kind invite to a party they're hosting tonight due to a previous appointment with Gerry Mulligan in 1954.

• Locked thread