Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm a jazz amateur, and I was really happy to see this thread. Then I clicked through some of the links in the OP and heard Gretchen Parlato.

:stare:

That was utterly amazing, and I bought the album and guess what? It's all just as good. I can't describe what makes her voice so distinctive, but she's great. Her band is wonderful, as well. Very understated and elegant at times, but they can let it rip (their version of "Blue in Green" is great in this regard). I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes cool jazz, even if you don't like vocal jazz that much.

By the way, it's not one of Miles' more popular albums, but I'm a fan of On the Corner. If you haven't listened to it, I highly recommend it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS56epCP9g8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

x0nix posted:

The album version with the 'sparse' acoustic guitar backing isn't that great, the rhythm sounds a bit awkward and clunky to me. The live version you mention with Taylor Eigsti accompanying on piano is so much better. Unfortunately that's kind of typical of the arrangements on her first album 'In a Dream'.
That's a great performance. The live version is clearly superior; Eigsti is a great pianist and I'm continually impressed with him.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Pas2 posted:

The first thing that comes to my mind when someone mentions Ken Burns' Jazz is this:
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/articles/arti0201_01.htm
And that's a pretty good summary of it. Frankly, Wynton Marsalis' traditionalism is what drives it, and it's by no means a balanced or thorough picture of jazz. Being so thoroughly committed to a picture of jazz as a piece of history, something that hasn't really progressed since the 1950s, contributes to relegating jazz to the past. In many people's minds, jazz is history or Kenny G. Marsalis doesn't really try to change that, and almost seems to encourage it.

• Locked thread