Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

roundmidnight posted:

Plug plug plug:

I'm getting to play the premiere of NYC trumpeter Nadje Noordhuis' (https://www.nadjenoordhuis.com) music for large ensemble tonight with the Hart House Jazz Orchestra tonight and Sunday! :) She's planning to record the music next year and this is a test run. Some of the pieces are really quite exquisite and she's a lovely individual.

Also, as a fellow trumpet player, it's pretty awesome to hear someone play the instrument so vocally. Chops for days but tasteful as hell.

Any Toronto jazz goons, feel free to show up. Tonight's is at Hart House, Sunday at the Rex.

I take it you go to U of T?
I finished Humber a few years back and now play trumpet professionally around town. I also repair brass instruments.

I just started my own big band a few weeks ago. I can't wait to start gigging with the band. It is all originals and arrangements of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZLvqXFddu0
No mention of the most outrageous big band ever? The Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra? Later the Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra, and now the village vanguard Jazz Orchestra. Mel Lewis JO is my favourite era for the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Yeah, I think the standard these days is either something related to Maria Scheider/Bob Mintzer/Carla Bley, or the horrible horrible horrible sounds of the Big Phat Band

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I LOVE EST and Jaga Jazzist. They are pretty different sounding, and I have never heard the term "dark Jazz" (why do people have to use so many labels?) but I sure love their sounds.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
This is a local band, but they have a Jamiroquai sound.
http://kcroberts.ca/
Best live shows ever. Check out their youtube for a ton of amazing covers and originals.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Listen to the Esbjorn Svensson Trio for amazing and chill music.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm getting really into be-bop and hard bop, are there any obscure artists that are worth a look?

I really like Art Blakey, Parker, Coltrane and Miles Davis so anyone with that kind of style would be terrific.

If there are any contemporary bands playing Bop I'd like to check that out too.

Hard Bop: Horace Silver, some Donald Byrd (Slow Drag is an incredible album), early Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan, Joe Henderson, Hank Mobley etc etc etc

Check out the BlueNote catalogue from the 50's-late 60's. It is huge (and they are still releasing unreleased discs today) and the music is top notch. The Van Gelder sound is my favourite jazz sound.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
EST fans:
E.S.T just came out with a new album that was recorded shortly before Svensson died.
http://www.est-music.com/

I haven't checked it out yet, but it got good reviews, and I have yet to be let down by the trio. It is such a shame that he died. They really were a fantastic band.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Capuano posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEvS1t1AxjU

This is a video of the Myron McKinley Trio playing at NAMM a few days ago. Myron McKinley is the music director for Earth, Wind & Fire, and also apparently a bitchin jazz pianist. I'm having trouble figuring out who the other two guys are or what the song is. Any help is appreciated. At any rate, enjoy an awesome performance!

The song is called E-12. It is right in the description. The band members are in the video title.

Keith Jarrett rules. I can even say that after seeing him live once and watching him spend 20 minutes complaining he was too cold to play.

Listen to the Kohln Concert or his Live in London/Paris records. They are unbeatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Johnny Truant posted:

You know, I had high hopes for this cause Don Cheadle is both starring in it and directing, but then I saw the trailer... wow, it looks awful. Now I haven't real Miles in a few years, but I don't seem to remember an action-packed scene of Miles and the police returning gunfire in a high-speed pursuit. What a letdown.

I gave Esperanza Spalding's newest album Emily's D+Evolution a second listen today and drat, it's seriously good. Unconditional Love is easily the best song on the album, and while I don't really like the layered backing vocals on Good Lava, that bassline is just so nasty.

It's not a biopic. It's a gangster movie with Miles as the main character sort of.

Cheadle has been learning trumpet for 7 years to play the part.

It will for sure be better than Ethan hawkes horrible portrayal of Chet Baker .

• Locked thread