Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

According to Autocar, UK buyers will need to dig into their pockets for £28k in order to get one.

Ok thats realy lovely, seeing as a base 370z is like £29k

I optioned out a current mx5 (which is what I was hoping the car would be similarly priced) at a high £23k

I guess it doesnt realy matter as i'd probably end up going with a slightly used one anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Billy Zane posted:

Halfway there

I wonder what the offsets/pcd's are and if my old advans would fit over the brakes.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Billy Zane posted:

I think this thread has the info you're looking for:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2056

Gah! 5x100 and what looks like simmilar offsets to subaru wheels

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

I can't really rationalise the money for an 86 when they come out, but I'll get a test drive, just to see if they've managed to get it "right".

If its realy £28k thats like the price of a low mileage cayman s and i've seen a few 0 mile 370z being advertised for around 25k if you search around. The only way they will sell these things is if they price it around the drat mx-5.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Wasn't there mention of a track stripper version? Any idea how much that would cost?

Japan gets a version with literaly no options and steelies which will have literaly 0 chance of making it to the uk unless you import one. Speaking of that I wonder if companies like lichfield or gtc-r will import any like they did with the gt-r and specific fancy imprezas.
I remember nissan uk kicking up a fuss when it cost less to import a gt-r than buying a uk spec car.

Also whats this about imprezas having weak hubs? I've never heard this, but then I dont know anyone with a subaru.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I have a dim recollection of their being a TRD turbo kit for the 2ZZ-equppied cars (MR2 Spyder, Corolla Sportivo and such), but that was a while ago obviously, and may have been a local TRD Australia thing as I think it was sold through the outfit that did Toyota's rally team here.

Europe had a 2zz turbokit made by TTE, but it looks like they dont sell parts anymore.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Hog Obituary posted:

e: compare to a proper Porsche one:

All I can see is twrbo from that angle

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

We'll wait for Subaru/Toyota to be down to their last dollar before doing that. You have to be bankrupt to run a car plant in the UK

Thats why honda and nissan build cars here?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Well uk base price is £25k
http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-announces-official-uk-price-for-new-gt-86

Which is about in line or slightly more than an mx5. Do all the different trims come with an lsd?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if we'd be able to import the stripper model via a company like litchfield. I mean they managed to do the sva for the FD civic R.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Amateur street drifters are going to make the insurance on this thing astronomical.

Eh I doubt it, I bet it will be cheaper to insure than an evo/sti here tho.

Im so mad that 16s fit under it because I already have two sets of perfect wheels apart from the fact that the stud pattern is 5x100

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Chris Harris on the Toyobaru:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romf-G6CZ7g

He really is the best car reviewer in the entire world and he does so well in telling you exactly why this car is absolutely amazing.

I want this car so bad now, although its probably going to have to wait until next year. :negative: Although I realy want to know what the ride quality is like and I guess if there are any problems with the first year cars.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

Yes, I'm an elitist. I'll apologise for insulting any hairdressers with such a crass generalisation, but not people who don't get why RWD is such an important element of the Toyobaru's appeal.

Is it wrong for me to think that its going to sell like poo poo here because its not hairdressery enough. Also the fact that everyone else seems to be missing the point and saying 'well im not going to be able to outdrag a diesel a6 at the lights in this thing' or 'its not overpriced heavy german tat from ingolstadt/munich and nobody will be impressed if I say I drive a toyota'

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

O.o I don't think that was his intention, I mean how good is the crash protection on this thing?

Edit: toyota uk website says GT86 from £24,995 with 17"s, full pricing to be confirmed. That seems reasonable.

Yeah the options list is pretty decent also for that base price. Although looks like we wont be getting a stripper version at all, which isnt suprising I guess.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
surely if the car is dbw its just some extra programming?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

The biggest brakes you can get are probably the TRD ones - 6 pot front and 4 pot rear. although the direct price conversion from trd.co.jps price was $10,000 AUD.

Honestly those seem like overkill for a car like this. Also if the hubs are simmilar to other subie hubs I wonder if sti brakes will end up a common upgrade.

Although I bet some decent pads/fluid will be enough for most people if they track the car.

Edit: arent the standard brakes 4 pot fronts and 2 pot rear anyway?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Belldandy posted:

A caliper upgrade is really necessary only in cars which have inherent problems due to poor caliper design (4th Gen Mustang) or issues with pad thickness (C5 Corvette). I suspect the BRZ will have none of these issues hence anyone who spends money on a cool tooner kit without first upgrading their fluid and pad compound is a certified car moron.

Doesnt the 370Z have brake problems on track? or is it just the standard pad compound, but then again the 370 is a fair bit heavier and has more power anyway.

I mean I did say those trd brakes look like overkill on a car like this anyway and that a pad/fluid change would be the way to go first.

The only thing I dont like is that the calipers are the slider type, but I guess its a price thing.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I dont see the problem with the car, i'm definitely interested in buying one in the next year or so. I'm just hoping there arent many major revisions during its lifespan tbh.
I dont think it needs more power as im not a super pro rally driver and im barely competent with a 260whp car on the track anyway.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
1st rear quater impact video :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scRlPmBU4Ik

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Saga posted:

The latest issue of EVO drove the BRZ against the Megane R-whateveritisnow, Zed and MX-5 and panned it (e: also separately against a Classic Turbo 2000). 3.5 stars out of 5, which is pretty damming coming from Evo.

Not that I'm planning to drop 25k on a new car, but will still be interested in trying a BRZ, assuming dealers get demo cars at some point. I'm thinking this might be another of EVO's Prius moments though, where the collective Zonda and 911 owners club that is the editorial staff (notwithstanding their claims of Panda ownership etc) doesn't understand why the target market will like the car.

For UK buyers at least, I think a sports car that works on lovely Primacies, has a restrained tax band, a trunk/boot and 4 seats (in the 924 sense of 4 seats) and doesn't wildly oversteer in the dry has an appeal that their editors may have missed.

What exactly did they criticise? Wierd realy seeing as most reviews have been fairly positive.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

The Big Jesus posted:

The review was odd though. Kept talking about how everything was perfect but it didn't have as much power as the Z.. that costs a ton more.
If power was the only problem (and it's not like 200hp stock is puny on a car that light) you'd think it would do better than 3.5/5

Tbf if you shop around you can buy a 0 miles 370Z for about £25k, they havent realy sold as well as the 350Z did here.

I would like to test drive the FT86 but tbh I probably wont be in the market for something like that now for a year or so and then i'd probably end up buying a used one so idk.

With the shocks, does anyone know who makes them? I remember hearing that they are madae by showa, but then I remember reading that they are also made by sachs somewhere. Possibly the euro market cars have different shocks?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

firehawk posted:

Toyota dark red ("C7P DK RED"), which I believe is the same as Scion's "firestorm". I quite seriously considered white, though.

Do you know when the first cars are going to hit the dealership? I went to one and they had no idea although they did have the brochure.

Also apparently evo prefered the handling of the toyota to the subaru, but still criticized it for power delivery. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two cars? All I could find out was that the toyota has stiffer rear springs.

Also the FT86 finished first in its class at the Nurburgring 24hrs, but to be fair its only competition was the veteran opel manta.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bovril Delight posted:

Same thing if they ever revived the MR2. It would be some fat as gently caress hybrid that completely ruins the image of the original.

Well seeing as gazoo racing made a concept mr2, which was based on the ZZW30 chassis and had a v6 hybrid powertrain youd be right.

What they should do is keep it nice and lightweight with a simmilar powertrain to the ft86. Keeping it inline with the ae86/aw11 and then i'd have no loving clue which car to buy.

Oh man now i'm dreaming of a low cog mid engined boxer mr2 with double wishbone suspension......

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

emoltra posted:

There is an absolute shitload of room in the engine compartment once you remove the air filter box. Room definitely isn't a problem as far as a turbo / supercharger is concerned, the compression ratio is what will be the limiting factor.

Someone has already swapped in a V8 IS-F engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUPCwolLrsY

Yeah i love how everyone like 'its impossible' when they already have that car, the one with the 2jz and another with an ej25 swapped in. Also not to forget that hks already have a supercharger kit out.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Finally got to sit in one of these at goodwood, I love the driving position and the gearshift felt very nice. Shame I cant afford one of these atm or i'd be booking a test drive sharpish like.

Also I snuck a quick sit in this one when nobody was looking.

Another shot of the second car that was doing the hillclimb

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
All the TRD bits have been listed for sale by the uk distributor here, the front calipers are a cool £8k

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_11/4026

Although from what it looks like the standard calipers are pretty simmilar to the old aisn ones on the IS200 anyway.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Someone posted the sparkplug change procedure from the FSM and it looked, well like a massive pain in the arse. The whole motor has to be lowered and the exhaust disconnected and a bunch of stuff moved about, are all subies that difficult to do a plug change on?

edit:

15 pages to document something like changing plugs seems a bit ridiculous but i'm guessing this is just moderncars.jpg

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 17, 2012

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

I'd be surprised if you can't skip some of those steps.

Fair enough in most cases like these people find clever workarounds on owners forums and such. Do modern sparkplugs realy last for 60k miles?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Apparently Tsuchiya came to the uk to teach a fat bloke how to drift round some barrels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07u8gPrfu0

Edit: found another video, on the official uk toyota channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJb52YYfy1A

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 30, 2012

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8Cx47ofz8

Thats on E85 and with std engine internals, which is pretty cool.
http://www.dynosty.com/2012/08/scion-fr-s-subaru-brz-fa20-highest-horsepower-set-at-324whp/

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Mat_Drinks posted:

Vortech is announcing the details of their kit at SEMA next week, and it sounds like it will be on 3-4 cars there.

I believe there is a roots kit being developed in AUS, but it sounds like it'll be pricey.

There's a twin screw kit too that I think is going to be at SEMA.

Really, you just need to brave the cesspool that is the ft86 forums and go to the FI section.

Literaly one of the first things hks did was a supercharger kit on their demo car.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Speedhunters did an article on the AVO brz which has a neat turbo setup with unequal headers so it probably sounds like a subaru used to.
http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/11/avo-brz/

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

For that matter, where would the supercharger go, if not on top of the engine?

Well heres a nice pic of the vortech supercharger kit.

The bulk of it appears to be placed infront of the the motor, not directly ontop. So I guess it messes with his weightu distributionu.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Nice to see you can fit 15s over the stock brake setup at least and TRD made a cool retro style wheel!

Thats one thing I realy hate about this car is the standard wheels look like horrible cheap aftermarket ones, but I guess thats how they managed to make it nice in other areas.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Regamasters or TE37s :D
Anything solid spoked and a bit motorsport.

So not rotas, at cost then? :newlol:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ROFLBOT posted:

Didn't Chris Harris sum up the two cars to the effect of "the Toybaru gets better the harder you drive it, the 370z gets worse"?

He described the 370Z as an 8/10ths car wheras he felt more confident pushing with the GT86. But he concluded that we should buy a used cayman with aftermarket suspension instead so i'm not sure what to think of that, but he is a massive Porsche fanboy. To be fair though he was pretty complimentary about the GT86

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhLXvxlQR4

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

It's a much more affordable option in the UK. Heck, even in the US, you can find sub-30k Caymans. But of course with potentially expensive motor issues.

I'm not sure how much more affordable a used cayman would be in the long run? Barring the IMS failures maintenance is going to be a fair bit more costly i'd assume, wear and tear bits also.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

I'm not even sure that insurance will be more on another sports car vs the 86. We'll see what the accident rate on one of the most boy racer cars in a long time will be.

The Cayman will definitely be more in the long run, even assuming you get one of the 95% whose motor won't blow up. But it will drive a bit better and have more power. So it's a decision about what you're willing to pay for. The equation looks better in England, where Harris made the suggestion, cuz you can find used Caymans cheaper than the new 86, which is not the quite case in the US yet.

I doubt the insurance is that bad at the moment here, unless it turns out to be another S2000/mr2 which both tend to be pretty drat expensive to insure due to their supposed 'tricky' on limit handling.

I was in the market for a used cayman/elise/s2000 a year or so ago and then I lost my job but I was veering heavily towards the S2000 because I was doing a shitload of miles at the time. Then I just ended up buying another mr2 and got another job where I dont drive at all, still every time I see a GT86 on the road I kinda want one.

After sitting in one at goodwood and then blagging a short testdrive at the local dealership I realised that it would be dumb to buy a brand new car just for it to sit unused most of the time and that it would be better to plough money into an almost 20 year old car instead :downs:

Maybe in a few years when there are a nice selection of used ones about I guess.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

You mean the one that is $20k to buy, with a minimum order of two, and has no warranty and voids the cars warranty? There was also some other stipulations that basically limited the purchasing of the SC kit to race teams only.

This is the only info I could find on it and loving hell those forums are poo poo. But yeah it looks like a part developed for a race series not something for a roadcar at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Should be noted that this is over twice the price of the base model in australia too.. Its also japan only, but the article was Australia based so just posted the figures.

In regards to Ryan T's car, its nice, but its not really 'street'. I have no idea how drifting got to where it is now, but I wish it went back to factory-internals 4 cylinder cars with an upgraded turbo and bolt on flares instead of this 900HP LS1-powered bullshit.

That looks better than the TRD version europe got, which somehow managed to come with a set of wheels worse looking from the normal models. Again no mechanical changes whatsoever, not even suspension just a different tyre.

Drifting went that way when it got big in america, now everything has to be an overbuilt tubeframe monstrosity with an ls motor. Although that car seems to be running a 1jz or a 2jz idk.

• Locked thread