Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hangar 18
Apr 2, 2010
Quick Question: Would it be acceptable (original enough) to have a blog focused on say someone's podcast, which would include external content? Posting youtube videos?

Or what about a website that essentially compiles other useful websites?

I'm not quite sure where the line is drawn with "original content."

Hangar 18 fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I think that's totally acceptable, assuming you don't use their logo or repost their podcast. Think about the thousands of sports team blogs, car model blogs, etc. I don't think there's any penalty for that and "original content" just means don't copy+paste articles or steal images.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Bodhi Tea posted:

Yeah, link wheels are an old technique that I think most would advise against since Google is wise to the simple varieties.

I think what still works is a bunch web 2.0 properties that are randomly interlinked with a few pointing to your money site.

They still work you just need "shield sites".

You have your money site, you build links to it on 10-20 other sites / posts. Then you blast THOSE sites / posts with cheap backlinks.

Not something I'd recommend for a client contract but for the affiliate niche game it still works bananas. The better you are at having variations in the anchor text the better you'll do as well.

This technique is detailed in smart passive income's niche challenge from last year, which is worth reading if you want to play the niche affiliate or ppc game.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004
Typepad blogger checking in!*

I'm writing a Japan :japan: travel guide at https://www.konnichiwhoa.com.

As I write this I'm hitting scale for the first time (thanks to a link from Yahoo Sports). I never thought I'd say this, but thanks, Yahoo!

Anyway. I've been researching optimizing Adsense for the last day or so. I'm currently doing $0.08 RPM in a niche where CPM is a little over $2.00. I've taken a couple baby steps, like blacklisting some low payers and turning off totally irrelevant ad categories.

Has anyone successfully tweaked Adsense to go from zero to actual revenue? I've seen some success stories on Hacker News but not much in the way of how to pull it off.

*By the by, I'll put in a good word for Typepad. I use them because I get the service for free, which means unlimited hosting and unlimited traffic, but they also do a bang-up job on SEO. Without any backlinks or throwaway blogs, I'm #4 for "things to do in Shibuya" and climbing in other categories. So far it's worth sacrificing the extra 10% of control I'd get with WP.

Hangar 18
Apr 2, 2010

sim posted:

I think that's totally acceptable, assuming you don't use their logo or repost their podcast. Think about the thousands of sports team blogs, car model blogs, etc. I don't think there's any penalty for that and "original content" just means don't copy+paste articles or steal images.

We'll I wanted to embed video content...

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.

mcsuede posted:

This technique is detailed in smart passive income's niche challenge from last year, which is worth reading if you want to play the niche affiliate or ppc game.

I was meaning to post that site, it's a great resource:
http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/how-to-build-a-niche-site/

and the backlinking post specifically:
http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/the-backlinking-strategy-that-works/

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'd like to add my site if somebody can give me some tips?

I started my site in Oct 2010 and have grown to around 6,000 uniques a month. We do get review copies, tech gadgets and the like. Sometimes when a good article hits we can do that in a single day. However because I don't know what I'm doing, I haven't made too much on it. I made $150 in November though when an advert company asked me to drop a link to Party Poker in an article.

My website is All You Need New England and the category is gaming/tech/electronics.
http://www.aunonline.com

I would really appreciate some tips. Thanks!

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Bodhi Tea posted:

I was meaning to post that site, it's a great resource:
http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/how-to-build-a-niche-site/

and the backlinking post specifically:
http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/the-backlinking-strategy-that-works/

This should be in the OP

snagger
Aug 14, 2004
Sorry for the big long obtuse post before. What I wanted to ask was:

Anyone have a good resource for optimizing Adsense?

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.

snagger posted:

Sorry for the big long obtuse post before. What I wanted to ask was:

Anyone have a good resource for optimizing Adsense?

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but poke around these two sites:

http://adsenseflippers.com/
http://www.nichepursuits.com/category/google-adsense-2/

Sixty-Proof
Jul 23, 2007
If I change my Wordpress theme, will all the options and customization I have put into my original theme be there if I change back?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Define customization. Like, were you editing the CSS?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Just download all of the files and install them on a new blog. That will answer your question.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Question for those of you earning full time or good wages from niche / affiliate / adsense: have you incorporated under an llc or are you just functioning as a sole-proprietor? If you have formed an llc (or s-corp or whatever) how easy has it been transferring your assets into that company and have you had any difficulties signing up for affiliate programs under the company name (or "on behalf of")?

Rerun
Aug 5, 2001
Live the dream
So I started a blog about a week ago about a certain set of fitness products. I put a store section on my blog with a bunch of links to amazon with my affiliate link.

Every day I write an article reviewing a product or I write an article about the genre of fitness that I'm targeting. After I publish the article I upload it to 3 article sites with a couple links to my website. I made a facebook page and twitter account and put up links to the new article. Is this a good strategy for creating back links and making a successful blog? I see mass article submitters and things but they are crazy expensive.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Rerun posted:

So I started a blog about a week ago about a certain set of fitness products. I put a store section on my blog with a bunch of links to amazon with my affiliate link.

Every day I write an article reviewing a product or I write an article about the genre of fitness that I'm targeting. After I publish the article I upload it to 3 article sites with a couple links to my website. I made a facebook page and twitter account and put up links to the new article. Is this a good strategy for creating back links and making a successful blog? I see mass article submitters and things but they are crazy expensive.

I think you want the articles that you submit to be original content and not copies of what you write on your site. Then link to your site and submit to those.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
Does anyone have any tips about starting a small niche forum? Are these doomed to fail by default? My niche is completely untapped in this area (no forums exist for it yet); but if it is a laughable endeavor I won't waste my time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wagoneer posted:

Does anyone have any tips about starting a small niche forum? Are these doomed to fail by default? My niche is completely untapped in this area (no forums exist for it yet); but if it is a laughable endeavor I won't waste my time.

Niche forum can be very profitable (I'm pretty sure someone has posted about them in this or the old thread), but your main issue is going to be getting members to join and start posting. You won't get very much revenue unless you have a solid community and lots of content, but you won't get many new members to join if your forum is a ghost town.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

FCKGW posted:

Niche forum can be very profitable (I'm pretty sure someone has posted about them in this or the old thread), but your main issue is going to be getting members to join and start posting. You won't get very much revenue unless you have a solid community and lots of content, but you won't get many new members to join if your forum is a ghost town.

Sounds about right - any acquisition tips?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Can I get some advice on a simple question. I've been asked to write a weekly article on a mobile phone blog that's part of a webpage that sells second hand mobile phones. Every week I'll wrote an article of my choosing relevant to mobiles and I'll also be asked to write reviews for phones when requested.

They are asking how much I'd expect to be paid for my services. I've not got a clue what to say. I don't want to prove myself out nor do I want to be ripped off.

What would be a good price to offer?

Scotsman
Jun 9, 2002

Well there's a lot of factors that really come into play there. Is the site looking for great, quality writing to provide a resource for readers? Or is it more just wanting articles for SEO purposes? If it's the former you can go high, if it's the lower they're going to have a ton of uber-cheap options. Like I have no problem paying people $50-$200 for top quality articles, but I'll also pay $10(or less) for my secondary articles.

A lot of people like to base it on per word, but I always prefer hourly rate. Think about how many hours it will take you to write said article(along with any necessary research etc). Then determine what you feel is a fair rate for that.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

DarthBlingBling posted:

Can I get some advice on a simple question. I've been asked to write a weekly article on a mobile phone blog that's part of a webpage that sells second hand mobile phones. Every week I'll wrote an article of my choosing relevant to mobiles and I'll also be asked to write reviews for phones when requested.

They are asking how much I'd expect to be paid for my services. I've not got a clue what to say. I don't want to prove myself out nor do I want to be ripped off.

What would be a good price to offer?

Scotsman is right. I just paid a guy $20 for 10 500 word articles that I'm going to spin and turn into a million different articles. They're not very well written but they're keyword dense and perfect for article directories. If I wanted well-written articles, I'd be paying much more and I'd be happy to pay it.

Edit: Has anyone had any luck with Fiverr? I just posted a couple of gigs that are SEO related. I got one gig last night. To spin 4 articles for $5. It took me about 45 minutes which isn't that great, but hey, it's extra cash I guess.

Scotsman
Jun 9, 2002

Moniker posted:

Edit: Has anyone had any luck with Fiverr? I just posted a couple of gigs that are SEO related. I got one gig last night. To spin 4 articles for $5. It took me about 45 minutes which isn't that great, but hey, it's extra cash I guess.

I'd stay away from all the SEO stuff on Fiverr. I generally use it to get 400+ Twitter Followers/Facebook Likes etc. Not that them by themselves mean anything, but people are just more likely to "Like" a facebook page with 1500 followers compared to 12 etc.

There's a lot of gold on there, like the videos and all that that you can get done. I got this done on Fiverr:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl6mwK7f5K4

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Scotsman posted:

I'd stay away from all the SEO stuff on Fiverr. I generally use it to get 400+ Twitter Followers/Facebook Likes etc. Not that them by themselves mean anything, but people are just more likely to "Like" a facebook page with 1500 followers compared to 12 etc.

There's a lot of gold on there, like the videos and all that that you can get done. I got this done on Fiverr:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl6mwK7f5K4

I'm talking about selling not buying

Aureliano
May 10, 2006
This is madness, Aurelito
I have a question as a blogging newb. I want to set up a site, and I already bought the domain name off of namecheap. However, the goon host I went to (Lithium) required an EPP code, which namecheap says can't be given out for 60 days.

So... wtf do I do? Am I missing something here or is it really going to take me 2 months just to get set up?

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Get your nameservers from lithium and enter them into namecheap. I wouldn't move my domains to Lithium from namecheap nor is that required. I'm guessing Lithium has Cpanel, so log in and scroll down and the NS servers are at the bottom left. Then do this http://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/767/10/how-can-i-change-the-nameservers-for-my-domain

lwoodio fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 3, 2012

Aureliano
May 10, 2006
Thanks, I think I accidentally clicked on the wrong button before I clicked on the right one and that's why the EPP code thing popped up, blocking me from registering. Thanks for the info!

Aureliano
May 10, 2006
Awesome, got it all set up and ready to go. For my personal blog, I just used a free theme, but I'm willing to pay for a premium theme for this site... the problem is that the choices are loving DIZZYING. I have no idea what I am looking for in a theme, can anyone give me some advice? Or should I just use a free theme until I know exactly what I need?

My website is going to be used to promote my romance books, so the main components would be:
- a section for new releases
- mailing list signup
- a page with all of my books by category
- ads for e-readers

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Theme as in Wordpress? If so I can maybe pitch in as a newb myself. I started with a premium theme. I had heard that free themes aren't necessarily bad, and premium themes can be total poo poo, so you really have to be careful. From what you describe you can easily do all that with just about any theme.

Some themes are laid out to maximize CTR, like Clickbank and CTR theme. Some themes are clean and minimal, but have a high learning curve like Canvas or HTML 5 Boilerplate. In the end I just found a theme I liked and as I got better at PHP and HTML I just fixed the problems with it and stripped all the useless features out.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I was excited to see that I got a PR of 2 when Google updated their page rank. That's pretty cool. :-)

Poster Child
Apr 4, 2007

I like where this is going.

Now if only google would approve my adsense application :f5:

Poster Child fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 11, 2012

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
So lately I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog just for the fun of it and for something to do, specifically my planned subject to blog about is videogame stories. Articles just doing things like talking about the qualities of story telling integrating with gameplay, analyzing various well received and not-so-received games in this aspect, etc. Do you guys think I should try and monetize this, or is this something that would just be better at least starting off with a free blog on Blogger or something?

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

Davos posted:

So lately I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog just for the fun of it and for something to do, specifically my planned subject to blog about is videogame stories. Articles just doing things like talking about the qualities of story telling integrating with gameplay, analyzing various well received and not-so-received games in this aspect, etc. Do you guys think I should try and monetize this, or is this something that would just be better at least starting off with a free blog on Blogger or something?

Don't start a video games blog for money. The competition is way too stiff. If you want to do it out of love for games, then by all means go for it. But it'll monetize very poorly.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Poster Child posted:

I like where this is going.

Now if only google would approve my adsense application :f5:

Whoa - what strategy did you use to pick your keywords? This is pretty impressive. Is it a Valentines Day site or something?

Poster Child
Apr 4, 2007

Wagoneer posted:

Whoa - what strategy did you use to pick your keywords? This is pretty impressive. Is it a Valentines Day site or something?

I just got lucky with reddit. I was back at ~50 visitors/day pretty quickly :) Still climbing though, slowly

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I started a blog about super bowl commercials in hopes that by this time next year I'll have it ranked.

It's funny the site that makes me the most money is one about the recorder. Yes, the woodwind from 4th grade. :D

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Moniker posted:

I started a blog about super bowl commercials in hopes that by this time next year I'll have it ranked.

It's funny the site that makes me the most money is one about the recorder. Yes, the woodwind from 4th grade. :D

I have a site about super bowl commercials too, I'm looking forward to taking you down punk (good luck)

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I have a site about super bowl commercials too, I'm looking forward to taking you down punk (good luck)

Aw man :( Haha. Is yours ranking right now? Also is it an auto-blog or are you just posting original content? I haven't had much luck with any type of auto-blogging software, so I'm just writing my own content.

Edit: I took to article writing on Fiverr and I've already made $268. I'm just going to use this money to invest in SEO programs like Scrapebox and the like. I wish SENuke wasn't so expensive. :-(

sim
Sep 24, 2003

The traffic for my blog about a car skyrocketed after they showed a commercial during the superbowl:

So I would imagine a super bowl commercials site would do well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Moniker posted:

Aw man :( Haha. Is yours ranking right now? Also is it an auto-blog or are you just posting original content? I haven't had much luck with any type of auto-blogging software, so I'm just writing my own content.

https://www.superbowlads.org

It's an autoblog. All it does is scrape youtube for specific keywords and posts the video and comments on the site. I set it up the day before the 2010 Superbowl and haven't touched it since. It's pretty rough and it ranks for some real specific keywords, but it's not on the first page for "super bowl commercials" or anything.

I'm sure if I had any original content on there I could do better but I just haven't put any work into it in the last 2 years. Right now it just makes me a quick hundred or two during the super bowl and week after then lays dormant the rest of the year.

• Locked thread