Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I don't remember enough to do a write-up, but Tomb Raider was pretty good. It was a competitive dungeon crawl along the lines of the Dungeoneer card games, where you move a pawn through a maze of cards, play powerups on yourself and play traps and monsters on other players. There were different characters, but most of them were Lara variants.

Also, the art was screenshots from the games - the original games. Terrible textures & huge polygons ahoy!

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Isn't there a Warhammer 40k CCG? I bet that's terrible.
Edit : Oops, thinking Warhammer Fantasy

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Isn't there a Warhammer 40k CCG? I bet that's terrible.

There was, I played it through the first couple expansions.

I actually liked it, it had a D6 and an action at the bottom of each card, upside down. Every card was either a unit or a character. I remember during combat you'd draw a hand upside down and use the actions, and whenever you needed a die roll, you'd draw the top card and look at the die.

You fought over 5 territories, and the game was a set number of turns. I want to say 4. I really enjoyed it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mornacale posted:

For the same reason that you'd start a company just to publish your AD&D 1E houserules. Fans make terrible business decisions.

As I understand it, SFR is run by the guy who created the game for TSR before it went under. He rescued the stock scheduled for bulldozing into the German landfill, and then went on to produce the treefolk & dryad expansion.

The rules are complicated and confusing, the magic system is horrifically unbalanced favoring black, and magic items and minor terrain are impossible to find. The thing is that people who liked it really liked it, there just weren't many of them. I've got two full armies, and haven't played since TSR was around. People still bid hundreds of dollars for collections on eBay, I'm guessing it's borderline OCD people trying to catch them all.

If he'd ditch the collectible format and streamline the rules, it could be a big hit. The core mechanics were simple and fun. It won Origins best board game in 95, but a lot of really bad poo poo has happened to it since.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This thread got me to order a box of EvE CCG.

Also, how is the WoW CCG? Seemed pretty decent. I've played Magic for far too long so I figured I'd try something new.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

OWLS! posted:

This thread got me to order a box of EvE CCG.

Also, how is the WoW CCG? Seemed pretty decent. I've played Magic for far too long so I figured I'd try something new.
It's fun, and a lot cheaper than most modern CCGs if you buy singles. We play it quite a bit at the FLGS.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
I've been contemplating buying that wow box with the Arthas v Tirion play mat.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I played Legend of the Five Rings from about 1997 until 2002, and then off and on again up until now. I would play it a lot still, except there is no community for it in my area, and I'm pretty sure the only people that know it exists here are ones that I have told about it, and they aren't that interested.
Anyway, L5R is one of the most successful CCGs, as proven by it still being around after 15+ years. It owes this, in part, to having a good storyline (as far as CCGs go at least) that can be changed by the players through tournaments.

L5R was created by AEG in 1995. In 1997, it was purchased by Wizards of the Coast. In 2000, Hasbro ditched it, and AEG bought the rights back.

The International Olympic Committee threatened to sue Wizards or something because they have rights to all designs with five interlocking rings, so the card backs changed from:
to in 2000.
Over the years, the card design has changed as well, generally for the better.

Story Arcs and Release History
The Clan War (Imperial Edition (95))
The Hidden Emperor (Jade Edition (98))
The Four Winds (Gold Edition (01))
The Rain of Blood (Diamond Edition (03))
The Age of Enlightenment (Lotus Edition (05))
The Race of the Throne (Samurai Edition (07))
The Destroyer War (Celestial Edition (09))
Emperor Edition, coming in 2012

Clans/Factions
Great Clans
Crab

The Crab clan defends the empire against the Shadowlands, from a bigass wall they built. They are one of the original great clans. They are a primarily military themed clan.
Crane

The Crane clan are a bunch of fruity girly-men. They have all sorts of courtiers and artisans and stuff, and some pretty badass duelists too. They are one of the original great clans. They are primarily honor themed.
Dragon

The Dragon clan are weird guys that live in the mountains. They have tattooed monks and shugenja and duelists. They are one of the original great clans. They seemed to lack a primary focus to me.
Lion

The Lion clan are military badass tacticians, but I might be biased. They are one of the original great clans. They are military themed, but can do honor too.
Mantis

The Mantis started off as a minor clan, led by a badass who beat everyone else up, then refused the throne. Then they said you sure are great and made his clan a great clan. They are mainly military.
Phoenix

The Phoenix are shugenja, and sometimes their samurai yojimbo. They are one of the original great clans. They are kind of like Dragon, in that, to me at least, they can do lots of things, just not well.
Scorpion

The Scorpion are sneaky fuckers. They have ninjas, courtiers, spies, and the like. They are one of the original great clans. They mainly do military and dishonor.
Spider

The Spider are the newest great clan, and are outsiders. Most all of the clan is corrupted by the Shadowlands or is otherwise outside of the social structure of the empire. They are primarily military.
Unicorn

The Unicorn clan wear a lot of purple and ride horses. They left the empire a long time ago, then came back all weird and foreign. They are one of the original great clans. They are primarily military, but can do honor too.
Minor and Non-Clans
Naga

Naga are crazy snake people that sleep for a long time, then wake up when something bad happens. Last I checked, they were sleeping, but they might be waking up again. They are primarily military.
Shadowlands

Shadowlands is really a trait and not a faction, but they get a stronghold, so here they are. They are all the evil dudes; Oni, Undead, Goblins, etc. They are mainly military, and definitely not honor or dishonor, since they are specifically barred from those win conditions.
Ninja

There are ninja, and there are Ninja. Lower-case n ninja wear pajamas and use throwing stars. Upper case N Ninja do that too, but they do that while being faceless minions of "The Shadow" which wanted to consume reality. In any case, they lost a few story arcs ago. They are a mix of tricky military and dishonor.
Ratling

The rat guys have been around for a long time, and they got a stronghold for a while. They are primarily military.
Hare

Some guy won a tournament and got them to be a clan, so they got a stronghold and a handful of personalities. They aren't really a faction.
Defunct Factions
Toturi's Army

Akodo Toturi was the disgraced Lion clan champion, so he left and started his own army. He eventually kicked a bunch of rear end and became the Emperor. This is his army while he was kicking rear end, and it’s not really a faction anymore. The Monkey clan is also part of this. They are primarily military.
Yoritomo's Alliance
These guys were the Mantis clan before they were the Mantis clan. Yoritomo is the guy above in the Mantis clan that was a badass. His alliance was made up of a bunch of minor clans, most notably the Mantis, Centipede, Wasp, and Fox.
Yogo Junzo's Army
Yogo Junzo was a Scorpion clan shugenja that found some black scrolls and turned into a necromancer, then was running the show in the Shadowlands for a while. This faction is synonymous with the Shadowlands Horde.
The Brotherhood of Shinsei

These are monks. They do monk stuff like kung fu and deep thoughts. Their win condition was enlightenment, with some military here and there.
Spirits
These guys were weird, and were only around for like one story arc. A portal to one of the underworld places opened up and some former emperor led a spirit army back to start some poo poo. Eventually they went away. I never cared enough to know what they did.

Gameplay
Each player has two separate decks, the green-backed fate deck, and the black-backed dynasty deck, each of at least 40 cards. Each player also has a Stronghold, representing the faction they are playing, and in older editions, possibly a sensei or wind card, which sort of modifies that stronghold.
Players lay four dynasty cards face down in their "provinces", then flip them over. They attack and do other limited actions, if possible, then purchase things from those provinces, followed by drawing a card and ending the turn.

Ways to Win
Military
Destroying your opponent's last province by attacking (or other ways) wins you the game immediately.
Honor
Starting your turn with 40 family honor wins you the game. You can gain honor by destroying your opponent's cards during battle resolution, buying personalities that are a part of your clan, or through other actions.
Dishonor
Reducing your opponent to -20 family honor wins you the game, or more accurately, loses them the game. Typically this is done through specific card effects.
Enlightenment
You win if you get all five elemental rings into play. This can be difficult, as they have specific conditions in order to be played, and that can lead to a very scattered deck.
Other
Certain events create win conditions, like playing or using all of the black scrolls, or getting all of the walls of the capital city in play, or doing a bunch of elemental actions.

Dynasty Cards
Personalities

Hitofu here has 4 Force, which is mainly used for fighting in battles, and 4 Chi, which is used for duels and, if he were a shugenja, spells. He requires that your family honor be at least 0 (as opposed to "-", which would mean he doesn't care, costs 8 gold to recruit, and has 3 personal honor, which can be added to your family honor if he is a part of your clan (which, as an unaligned personality, he isn't) and is used for some effects. He has the keywords Samurai, Hero, and Ronin, which are mainly used for targeting purposes, but sometimes have special rules attached. For example, a Samurai can commit seppuku to negate an honor loss that he might generate. Hitofu also has a "Battle" ability, which helps to even the odds in a battle where his side is outnumbered by "bowing" (tapping, in magic terms) an enemy.
Holdings

A holding's primary function is to generate gold, although many exist that generate honor or have other effects. The Family Keep here might be a good bargain, since it costs 2 gold to purchase and generates 2 gold, or 3 if the card it is paying for is expensive. It also has an Open ability, which can be played on your opponent's turn that lets you draw a card to try to save your rear end. Holdings also cover Fortifications, which are special holdings that attach to the province they are revealed in, usually modify that province in some way, and are destroyed when that province is destroyed.
Events

Events are cards that usually change the game in some way or affect all players. They are resolved as soon as they appear, and are typically rare (all events are unique) and difficult to avoid when they do appear. A New Year lets you cycle up to a couple cards out of your hand, and gives other players the opportunity to do the same, but only once.
Celestials

Celestials are sort of like events, in how they are played, but they stick around until used or a condition is met. Ebisu's Honesty makes your provinces harder to destroy, and, as a Limited action (playable only on your turn) can be destroyed, along with one of your provinces, for a meager, but guaranteed, honor gain.
Regions

A Region reveals itself like an event, but remains attached to the province it was revealed in like a fortification, except each province can only have one region at a time. Regions usually either do something involving a battle at that province or make certain cards coming out of that province cheaper. The Forests of Shinomen are hard to shoot through, so Ranged Attacks are negated in battles there, and they also make your "Forest" cards produce more gold when paying for nonhumans (Nagas and other such creatures live in the Shinomen Forest).

Fate Cards
Strategies

Strategies are the primary kind of card in the fate deck, and are usually kept in your hand until played. Some strategies cost gold. Strategies can do many different things, like killing an enemy personality, starting a duel, causing an honor loss, or much much more, including absolutely nothing, like Focus. At the bottom of each fate card is a number, from 0 to 5, which is used primarily in duels or for the tactician ability, or sometimes as a random number generator. Focus is the only card with a printed 5 focus value.
Kiho

Kihos don't exist anymore, as they were simply strategies that required a monk or shugenja as part of their actions.
Items

Items usually have a gold cost, and often have a force and/or chi bonus as well. They are attached to a personality, and can later be moved around. Sometimes, they have keywords and abilities as well, such as the Armor of the Heavens, which reacts to its personality being targeted by causing an honor gain or loss. Each personality can have just one weapon and one armor item attached.
Spells

Spells are sort of like items that only shugenja can attach. Each shugenja can have a number of spells attached up to his Chi. Spells often cost gold, and rarely, if ever, give a force or chi bonus. They usually have activated abilities, and rarely have constant traits, like Consumption by Fire, which gives a "Fire" keyworded shugenja a force bonus, in addition to doing a ranged attack.
Black Scrolls

Black Scrolls work just like regular spells, but are pretty cool so I'm mentioning them.
Followers

Followers are similar to items and spells in that they are attached to a personality. They have their own Force, Honor Requirement (keyed off of the personality they are attaching to's personal honor), and gold cost. In battle, a personality and all of his attached followers are considered a Unit. Some abilities, particularly ranged attacks, have cannot target a personality with attached followers.
Ancestors

Ancestors are a special sort-of-follower that attach to a personality but modify that personality's stats, rather than having their own.
Rings

Rings are special, after all the game is named after them (though there are technically 12 of them, not 5). They have some weird conditions to get into play, but usually some pretty good effects. Better yet, if you get all 5 in play, you win.

Other Cards
Strongholds

A stronghold represents the faction you are playing. Strongholds have 3 attributes, from top to bottom, Province Strength, Gold Production, and Starting Honor. They usually also have some abilities that create different play styles for each faction.
Winds

Winds don't really exist anymore, as they were representations of different political factions in a specific storyline of the game. They basically modified your stronghold and represented what ability of the Imperial Favor you would be using.
Sensei

Sensei don't exist anymore either. They modified your stronghold's attributes and gave you some other special abilities.

I'll try to convince my wife to play a game and take pictures or something, for an example of play later.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 8, 2011

accordingtojosh
Jun 21, 2005
I played l5r about the same time span as you. Been considering starting up again but haven't really had a chance yet. Will probably start up again with the release of the next base set.

I also played shadowrun and legend of the burning sands for the week or so it seemed to exist.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Nerds love H.P. Lovecraft. This we know. And so, once upon a time, there was a collectible card game called

What is it about?

Like in so many Cthulhu-mythos themed games, you are an intrepid investigator teetering on the edge of sanity, trying to decipher Things That Should Not Be and Truths Man Was Not Meant To Know. You had your Investigator Card, essentially double sized character card, and a Story Deck you put together to complete Adventures to win the game.

So completing adventures is the way you try to win the game. Most of these were more or less lifted from H.P. Lovecraft stories. The idea is that you play during the game all the specific cards from your Story Deck listed on the Adventure card (all with their specific effects), after which you can complete the adventure and gain victory points, and a bit of sanity if you're lucky.

Story Deck cards are everything from stalwart allies to De Vermiis Mysteriis and other unspeakable tomes to locations like Innsmouth and "Mythos Threats" you can play to hinder your opponents progress. Invariably using the best ones will cost you sanity and take you closer to losing it completely, which is obviously Not A Good Thing.

Did the game fail?

Pretty clearly yes. The first release, Limited Edition came in 1996 in three flavours of starters and boosters (Miskatonic, Cthulhu Rising, Necronomicon) all featuring different sort of locations, events, mythos threats and like. Dreamlands expansion came came the year after, but clearly didn't sell much and the game was scrapped with the modern days expansion New Aeon in 1997. The games around here have pretty much just dealt with Limited Edition and Dreamlands cards, folks have kinda decided New Aeon does not exist as far as they are considered.

Is it a good game

Well... frankly, no. It's a bit cruddy as far as mechanics go. The designers tried to pull something clearly different from Magic, but didn't quite get there. As a head to head, two player game it's just not very good.

But there are I think positives too. It had very different feel to something like MtG or Jyhad of those days, especially when you played it the way it played the best: four player table, with the clear implication that it is way better to advance your own story than spend too much time disrupting opponent play. Then you actually have good fun with the game, and some Finnish maniacs have actually had Mythos Nationals going well into 2000s.

Mythos died, but it is not dead which can eternal lie, and we have a newer Cthulhu mythos CCG in Call of Cthulhu CCG, which is actually quite a decent game! Currently it's part of the Fantasy Flight Games Living Card Game catalogue, but that's a story for another day...

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

accordingtojosh posted:

I played l5r about the same time span as you. Been considering starting up again but haven't really had a chance yet. Will probably start up again with the release of the next base set.

I also played shadowrun and legend of the burning sands for the week or so it seemed to exist.

Legend of the Burning Sands was a fantastic game, and it's a goddamn shame it died off due to FRP's idiotic release schedule. If it had stayed around and got the level of refinement and expertise L5R got over the years, it'd be the best CCG ever. A lot of fans are saying that AEG should release a modern version as an LCG like Game of Thrones, which seems like a perfect fit for a smaller, dedicated playerbase, but so far there's been no indication they're working on it.

I have to leave here in a bit, so I will do a writeup when I get back home.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

accordingtojosh posted:

Just FYI, L5R has a structure that's a little like the block structure in Magic. An Arc is centered around a base set and lasts approximately 2 years. In order to keep people buying cards, the last few sets of an arc are frequently legal for the next arc. This has been as few as one expansion and one direct to player set and as many as three expansion sets (they learned quickly that this many was a bad idea).

Before the Dawn and Second City will be legal through all of Emperor Edition, as will the direct to player set, Forgotten Legacy (these are very rarely a poor purchasing decision, as the value of some of the cards will usually skyrocket toward the last half of an arc).

One of the things about L5R that I'll love is the community, which I can think of no better way of explaining than with an anecdote:

I made it to Worlds 2010, playing my clan of choice for the last thirteen years (Dragon). I ended up going 0-3 and dropping, mostly due to really poor luck. I at least found it amusing that I was paired against three other Dragon players, all playing different decks from each other.

My second round felt like a mirror match. We were both running Pillars of Virtue (a military monk-themed stronghold), and while our decks were thematically similar, they were probably different by about 50% of the cards. We're trading armies and provinces back and forth, emptying our hands down to maybe a single card and then rebuilding, complimenting each other's decks and plays as we keep managing to one-up the other. We reach the time limit, shocking each other as there has not been a slow moment in the game.

We compare hands, rather than take a draw, and I concede, telling him that that game was easily the best I've played in over a decade of L5R (which he agrees to as well). When we go up to report our match, he learns my name, and we have a mutual moment of freaking out when we realize that we used to chat all the time on the old Dragon forums before he gave up the game, and he had decided to come back and actually make the trip stateside to come to the con.

I don't want to think of the friends I wouldn't have if I hadn't picked up this game. There's a sense of camraderie among Rings players that you really just don't see with a lot of other games.

Huitzil posted:

Legend of the Burning Sands was a fantastic game, and it's a goddamn shame it died off due to FRP's idiotic release schedule. If it had stayed around and got the level of refinement and expertise L5R got over the years, it'd be the best CCG ever. A lot of fans are saying that AEG should release a modern version as an LCG like Game of Thrones, which seems like a perfect fit for a smaller, dedicated playerbase, but so far there's been no indication they're working on it.

I have to leave here in a bit, so I will do a writeup when I get back home.

LBS is a splendid game and a wonderful campaign setting. I've been saying that AEG needs to give it the Living Card Game treatment, or sell it to someone who will. I'd say the same for Seventh Sea too.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

bairfanx posted:

LBS is a splendid game and a wonderful campaign setting. I've been saying that AEG needs to give it the Living Card Game treatment, or sell it to someone who will. I'd say the same for Seventh Sea too.

Rereleasing as an LCG is a fantastic idea for the gems amongst the defunct card games we've been talking about. I would buy so much Doomtown that it would make any rational person's head spin.

The monthly release schedule that FFG is doing right now even emulates Rolling Thunder a bit, though in smaller scope (which arguably could be scaled up until all the existing source material is printed)

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

bairfanx posted:

Just FYI, L5R has a structure that's a little like the block structure in Magic. An Arc is centered around a base set and lasts approximately 2 years. In order to keep people buying cards, the last few sets of an arc are frequently legal for the next arc. This has been as few as one expansion and one direct to player set and as many as three expansion sets (they learned quickly that this many was a bad idea).

To expand on this, for people that might be getting interested, ever since Jade edition cards have been marked with a "bug" to show what arc they are legal for.

Circled are the Emperor (lower left), Celestial (lower right), and Eternity (upper right) bugs. The Eternity bug denotes legality for the base edition that comes after the one in which the card was printed. Celestial is the current edition, with Emperor coming shortly. So if you are picking up cards for competitive play, find ones with markings like those. Or buy giant piles of old cards and use the Legacy rules.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 8, 2011

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Wow, thanks for all the awesome info so far! What would be the best way to get started with L5R? Are there starter sets or something like that (like intro packs in Magic)? And I didn't even realize that WoW TCG was still popular. What kind of set legality system does it have?

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Oh and on the subject of trash games with great art. I have several hundred Spellfire cards that I got at ten cents a pack at a comic shop. That game is an affront against god, but the art sure is pretty, and you can use the cards for some D&D related stuff as well.

I don't even know what these are, but I'd love some Dark Sun ones to mess with in my campaign.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Spincut posted:

Wow, thanks for all the awesome info so far! What would be the best way to get started with L5R? Are there starter sets or something like that (like intro packs in Magic)?

You choose a clan and then buy that starter. You could also buy boosters, but I can tell you from experience that if you're a 1-clan player like me, it's cheaper to buy singles.

Also the Forgotten Legacy direct to player set is excellent, costs 100 bucks and comes with stuff for everyone, along with at least half of a non-human deck, PLUS a year's subscription to L5R's toilet paper/newsletter that comes quarterly with good exclusive promos. Great deal.

Spincut posted:

And I didn't even realize that WoW TCG was still popular. What kind of set legality system does it have?

I'm not an expert but I know they do blocks of 3 sets. I believe it's the last 2 blocks, current block, and core sets.

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 9, 2011

vanPart
Nov 19, 2004

Spincut posted:

Wow, thanks for all the awesome info so far! What would be the best way to get started with L5R? Are there starter sets or something like that (like intro packs in Magic)?

What Bloke said, but at this point, only get a starter from Before the Dawn (Crab, Lion, Phoenix) or Second City (Dragon, Mantis, Scorpion), or wait for Emperor Edition to drop in January or so. EE will have starters for all nine Great Clans, which are effectively the only real factions (Ronin/Nonhuman exist as unaligned, but they don't get the same level of support, really).

They're also changing the starter format with Emperor. Starters will be more expensive, but they will come with three booster packs (one from each of the three most recent expansions), a constructed deck based on one of the clan's four themes, and little biography cards on each of the personalities in the starter. The whole thing will be packed in a box large enough for a sleeved deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I remember reading a long time ago, that in L5R tournaments, Scorpion clan players were legally allowed to bribe other players to throw matches. Is this true, and if so, how was every tournament not a total mess as a result?

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
I doubt that's true.

Scorpion is way more about blackmail than bribery.

It's probably just as frowned upon as Crab smashing your head open to win. That said, I've known some decent guys who took their clan stuff way too seriously, but all that usually resulted in was getting laughed at.

Stormageddon fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 9, 2011

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

I remember reading a long time ago, that in L5R tournaments, Scorpion clan players were legally allowed to bribe other players to throw matches. Is this true, and if so, how was every tournament not a total mess as a result?

http://rules.l5r.com/Floor_Rules#Bribery

It wouldn't surprise me if it happened though, especially in earlier tournaments. I know that it used to specifically say in the floor rules that it was allowed, when done as part of a storyline thing and OK'd by the judges.

There were also some bribe things that happened where registered members of a clan (imperial assembly subscribers are asked to pick a clan affiliation) were offered a bribe, discounted cards or something I think, in turn for something bad happening in the storyline. This was done by AEG though, so nothing cheaty there.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Lone Goat posted:

It was true, and it's not a mess because L5R doesn't attract the same kind of ultra-competitive crowds as MTG. Many times in the past, players at the top play for a story rather than a prize.

The first Day of Thunder featured a final match between Crane and Lion. The match was so close that at the end, the story became that the Lion and Crane champs worked together to slay the great evil, and the crane champ (the loser) was fatally wounded. Also at one point in the tournament, the Phoenix player representing Fire took off his shirt to reveal a Shadowlands shirt, which led to a storyline in the game about a Tainted master of fire.

I wish things like that still happened, but most of the story rewards are lame these days :/

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

That would've been kind of neat though.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

There was the Kitsu bloodspeaker stuff that happened because of all of the corrupt lion players too, and didn't Toturi turn into a ninja dupe because of all of the corrupt Toturi's Army players?

I remember people getting so worked up about corrupt clans and so angry at people that dared slip a single shadowlands card into their decks.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I wish things like that still happened, but most of the story rewards are lame these days :/

Part of this is because players try to do the dumbest things possible, like trying to get a literal phoenix clan phoenix personality to be a member of the empress's guard or something, or people think that because they won a 12 person tournament in buttfuck texas that they can dictate the next three months of story plot or whatever.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Hey. Houhou would've made the best Empress in all of history. A phoenix is a divine being, and can't die. Rokugan would've had a golden age.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
Mantis did get honor gain because of the guy conceding victory and aeg seeing it as an honorable act.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

A Fancy Bloke posted:

The first Day of Thunder featured a final match between Crane and Lion. The match was so close that at the end, the story became that the Lion and Crane champs worked together to slay the great evil, and the crane champ (the loser) was fatally wounded. Also at one point in the tournament, the Phoenix player representing Fire took off his shirt to reveal a Shadowlands shirt, which led to a storyline in the game about a Tainted master of fire.

Close, before the match the two players got together and decided to split the pots. So after Lion player wins, they announce their deal to the head of L5R's story team who was on hand to reveal the end to all the players based on the winner. The writer rips up the planned result and goes with what you wrote.

I have head the story of the Phoenix player before, but the corrupted Phoenix was more because every single Phoenix player had a ton of Junzo cards. It was seriously obnoxious how broken the combos were. Every deck had three Isawa Tsuke's and three bloodswords. It's why Phoenix lost like 90% of their personalities from Imperial.

edit: Though, speaking of L5R, has anyone tried War of Honor http://www.amazon.com/Alderac-Entertainment-Group-15790ALD-Honor/dp/B004QGY0IM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320827576&sr=8-2 ? Seems like a good way to introduce people to the card game.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 9, 2011

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I've seen a couple of questions about the WoW TCG. I play it competitively, and actually I'm going to the World Championships this weekend in Rotterdam.

I came to the game from an MTG background, and it is very easy to learn if you know MTG - its basically the same concept but with no manascrew (you can place cards face down as a 'resource'), creatures can attack other creatures, and damage is persistent. I like the core system a lot more than magic after playing both for several years, although WoW is still far behind MTG in terms of popularity and events. The scene varies from place to place, its not as popular as magic but still gets a decent turnout. Major events (DMFs, Continentals, Worlds, etc) usually have 200-300 people.

The game is obviously based around WoW lore, so a lot of the things in the MMO show up in the card game. Random 'Loot' cards in booster packs contain codes that can be redeemed for pets and mounts in the MMO. Some of these are very rare and go for hundreds of dollars. This serves as prize support for many events - for a DMF winner you'd get some loot cards worth a couple hundred bucks, and some electronics (ipads, ps3s, etc) and amazon gift cards worth several hundred bucks. Worlds is a cash tournament with the top prize being $50,000.

If you want to check out the game, the official site is http://www.wowtcg.com , and the fansites http://www.dailymetagame.com and http://www.arcanebrilliance.com are worth checking out as well.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Lone Goat posted:

Old rulebooks used to encourage Scorpion players to cheat if they could do it without getting caught.

When I say "old," I mean very old, like probably 13-14 years ago.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

edit: Though, speaking of L5R, has anyone tried War of Honor http://www.amazon.com/Alderac-Entertainment-Group-15790ALD-Honor/dp/B004QGY0IM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320827576&sr=8-2 ? Seems like a good way to introduce people to the card game.

It's fun, and you can customize the decks later (and there are cards there that will be legal in Emperor. None are really essential, though some might be nice for a few decks). It's not a bad introduction to the mechanics of the game, but there's a lot that's changed too.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 9, 2011

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I own a WoH set simply because I play Spider Monks and there's a holding exclusive to the set that produces 3 gold for monks that is standard for monk decks.

I think it's a good product for vets of L5R but I think it's bad for newbies. L5R is the densest CCG I've ever played, rules-wise and adding a second layer on top of that, along with decks that are 1/4 legal for the current environment just spells confusion.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
I hate this thread, because I love CCG's but there is no way for me to play any of them with anyone unless online, oh, how I wish there was a "L5R Online".

Also, the WCW game looks extremely kickass, wish I could have played it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I own a WoH set simply because I play Spider Monks and there's a holding exclusive to the set that produces 3 gold for monks that is standard for monk decks.
Sup monk buddy! That's why I bought WoH too. Course, I had a 50% off coupon at GenCon AND they gave me an extra $5 back, so I only dropped $25 on it for the singles.

Think I'll play Spider in Emperor in addition to Dragon, as my favorite stronghold from a decade ago is coming back (the new Spider Ninja box). Played their Monksai in a kotei last year and made the top 8 too, so I think they'll fit well.

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I think it's a good product for vets of L5R but I think it's bad for newbies. L5R is the densest CCG I've ever played, rules-wise and adding a second layer on top of that, along with decks that are 1/4 legal for the current environment just spells confusion.

I would not recommend WoH for your first L5R game, but there's no reason you can't use the decks themselves to learn the normal game too. If they don't know anyone who plays, I have no problem fielding questions here.

But yeah, if you want tournament legal decks, WoH is not the way to go.

Also, the densest CCG? Someone didn't play the Star Wars CCG from Decipher. I loved that game, but that rulebook was a drat novel.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

SGRaaize posted:

I hate this thread, because I love CCG's but there is no way for me to play any of them with anyone unless online, oh, how I wish there was a "L5R Online".

There are several 'virtual table' style L5R clients, but with them, you're on your own for finding opponents/playing the game correctly/etc. http://kamisasori.net/ is kind of the one stop shop for the card database file and links to the various clients.

I'm sad that I told my friend on the design team how broken the spell titled 'Mastering the Elements' is, because now he's going to get it errataed before I can abuse it. :(

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

chrisf posted:

I'm sad that I told my friend on the design team how broken the spell titled 'Mastering the Elements' is, because now he's going to get it errataed before I can abuse it. :(

Care to explain? It's a unique spell. yeah, it's a free giant force boost and/or kill action or whatever you copy, but you had to pay for it the first time anyway. And you see it coming because it can't be attached during battle (I think? I need to reread the spell attachment rules, I thought it had to have a battle action for you to attach).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

bairfanx posted:

Also, the densest CCG? Someone didn't play the Star Wars CCG from Decipher. I loved that game, but that rulebook was a drat novel.

When I was young it was universally agreed that the Middle Earth card game was the densest CCG ever made. I don't remember how true that was.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

bairfanx posted:

Care to explain? It's a unique spell. yeah, it's a free giant force boost and/or kill action or whatever you copy, but you had to pay for it the first time anyway. And you see it coming because it can't be attached during battle (I think? I need to reread the spell attachment rules, I thought it had to have a battle action for you to attach).

It copies traits, keywords, and base abilities. It's free. Seek the stain is free and its trait allows you to attach it to a void shugenja from discard. Copy that first. Words of consecration is a 1 gold cost spell that has a trait that allows you to pick a player and make them gain or lose 1 honor if you attach to an air shugenja. CE and EE have a shugenja that is both air and void, as well as various ways to attach things during the other player's turn. After you copy seek the stain once and words of consecration once, you start having Mastering copy itself to double its traits. Once you have 4 or 8 copies of the Words honor trait, you unload all of the free attachment destruction to keep reattaching the free Mastering to drop someone 16-32-howevermany honor, or gain that much, since traits aren't once per turn. The test games we've done have ended as early as turn 4 when everything comes out right, and there's enough draw and deck search to make it go turn 5 on a consistent basis.

accordingtojosh
Jun 21, 2005
was digging through my closet last night and came across a few of my old l5r decks.

I miss Crab Oni and Ninja Lockdown Decks

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Huh. I now know what it feels like to be a non-Magic player listening to me discuss Fruity Pebbles.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I can honestly say seeing 4 copies of Ohsuki's Sparrow from resurrection effects is the biggest bunch of bullshit ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

chrisf posted:

It copies traits, keywords, and base abilities. It's free. Seek the stain is free and its trait allows you to attach it to a void shugenja from discard. Copy that first. Words of consecration is a 1 gold cost spell that has a trait that allows you to pick a player and make them gain or lose 1 honor if you attach to an air shugenja. CE and EE have a shugenja that is both air and void, as well as various ways to attach things during the other player's turn. After you copy seek the stain once and words of consecration once, you start having Mastering copy itself to double its traits. Once you have 4 or 8 copies of the Words honor trait, you unload all of the free attachment destruction to keep reattaching the free Mastering to drop someone 16-32-howevermany honor, or gain that much, since traits aren't once per turn. The test games we've done have ended as early as turn 4 when everything comes out right, and there's enough draw and deck search to make it go turn 5 on a consistent basis.

Okay, I get it, and that should work, but I don't know that I agree on the card draw/deck search front when you're relying on one unique card (I'm partially discounting deck search just because the only one I can think of without a huge cost is Walking the Way. Introspection doesn't seem that viable for a turn 4-5 kill). Either way, a really simple errata would be all that's necessary ("when this card enters play from your hand," which went on a lot of card draw attachments). Would you mind PM'ing me a decklist? I assume it's out of Phoenix...

accordingtojosh posted:

was digging through my closet last night and came across a few of my old l5r decks.

I miss Crab Oni and Ninja Lockdown Decks

Ninja are coming back!

BJPaskoff posted:

When I was young it was universally agreed that the Middle Earth card game was the densest CCG ever made. I don't remember how true that was.

This is true. The guy who owns our FLGS now had bought a TON of it on the cheap when he was just another gamer, brought it in to teach the handfull of us who read the books (this was before the movies had come out). It was interesting, but whoever designed it was such a Tolkien nerd that there were rules upon rules upon rules for every conceivable thing that could happen. I remember it being fun, but only because we had someone basically guiding us through the game.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 11, 2011

• Locked thread