Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'm not particularly good, but I'm liking Zero/Wesker/Vergil so far. Gonna learn some more characters over the weekend.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Can we go back to protips on reliably doing the DP motion? I don't quite "get it" yet.

Also, as I have the game early, I'd be happy to help people answer any questions.

Draw a Z with the stick.

Rirse posted:

I have a question, what DLCs from the old game carry over? I see the two DLC characters and the alt costume page shows the lone one from MvC3, but do you still have to buy them, or they are included?

If you bought Jill/Shuma in vanilla mvc3, they're unlocked in ultimate. I didn't buy any costumes so I dunno about those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

FSLink posted:

So is there a Google Doc or something of XBL/PSN info of goons who are going to play UMvC3?

I don't know, but my XBL is ParallaxScroll. I'm like intermediate level I guess.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Combofiend is half black half filipino? Finally it makes sense.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Mike Ross and Combofiend is like Mike Ross and Gootecks except better.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ocatamai posted:

Can I have Wesker and Vergil THC for dueling dubstep?

So far, this seems like a nice THC and DHC. I'm running Zero/Wesker/Vergil, and when I THC all 3 guys off a Wesker gunshot, I get some pretty nice damage. Since 2 of their supers are fullscreen and Zero's stays onscreen after x-factor, I wonder if I can do some THC shenanigans with this team...

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Just got back from a pre-release tournament at a local game store. It's actually the first tournament I've attended with money on the line, and I actually won my first match which is better than I expected. Got eliminated after that, but whatevs. The big surprise was when Clockwork and Yipes showed up - and took first and second, naturally. When I lost my winners bracket match to a Hulk xfactor comeback, Yipes was standing right behind me hyping it up. Good poo poo.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Cuchulain posted:

Where was this at?

Gameplay in Long Beach CA.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

FZeroRacer posted:

Strangely enough, it depends on the two ATK buttons you use. Light and Medium won't work, but Medium and Heavy will.

What the poo poo? I had no idea.

I'd been getting around this by cancelling the uppercut into teleport (press H), then doing the super.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Okay, from a little bit of experimentation it appears the "mashing" mechanic is just a series of just-frame inputs. Every time you do a mashable hit in a hyper combo, the game allows you to input something to make it count as 2 hits. Less Marvel 2, more Melty Blood.

This makes sense based on my experience so far. When I mash out Maximum Wesker, each time Wesker hits the guy it counts as 2 hits.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I could have sworn I did TAC into my third dude instead of my second dude a couple matches ago.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Was dude 2 on assist cooldown? That causes that to happen.

That would explain it. Did it work that way in vanilla too?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

Does anyone have any tips for controlling air combos with Vergil? Guys are always falling out of my poo poo and I can't discern why...

I've found that most of the time you can jump straight up instead of up-forward in Vergil combos since his normals have such long reach. Sometimes it also helps to delay slightly before you jump.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

So, has anyone more skilled than I am been working on any good Zero tech? I've been trying things, some of it interesting but mainly, I've been trying to get ground combo > air combo > Sentsuizan H > Buster Cancel > Raikousen L > Ryuenjiin L. I swear to Christ, that Raikousen requires stupid tight timing. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but Goddamn, something's gotta give here.

Also, goddamn, that hitstun scaling thing really hurts. You can't do a full relaunch combo like you could in Vanilla, which kinda sucks.

Usually if I drop the Raikousen it's because I'm doing it too fast. Try Sentsuizan (pause) Buster (pause) Raikousen.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

So how viable IS Sentinel these days? I know his health got nerfed a few times but in terms of power and x-factored Sentinel Force, isn't he still a beast? I don't see him that often on streams these days.

He has his uses. Drones are still a good assist. He can still pile on the damage. I'm still free to armor.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

Well, I just spent time running my Nova/Zero/Vergil team in some real matches (albeit with pretty much unplayable lag, seriously, goddamn Capcom), and I really like this team dynamic. I can do pretty much anything from anything with a TAC, which is great. As opposed to Vanilla, I'm not putting Zero on point this time around. In fact, I'm almost considering him as a vehicle for X-Factor, since it really seems like they buffed his XF3 speed to absolutely insane heights.

The only real problem is the lack of any real way to get in. Sure, I can deal really good damage and I have a number of unblockable/ambiguous reset setups, but I really eat it when it comes to range poo poo. :argh:

Zero can zone decently with charged buster, hadangeki, and Vergil rapid slash assist.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Surmy posted:

Complete noob to the MVC series, picked it up for 360 to have something else to play with my hori stick. Any suggestions on a good group of characters to start with, and any tips for a new player starting out?

What else do you play?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

That aside, I'm really liking my Zero/Vergil/Strider team. Anyone wanna comment on why this is a bad team in the long run? I prefer to use characters I like, so I've just been sticking this out. I'm getting more wins than losses lately, but if for some reason this team isn't viable I'd like to switch it around soon. Right now I'm just playing online for fun.

edit: Vergil assist is random slashes and strider is teleport.

Nope, that team kicks rear end. Zero makes good use of Rapid Slash assist in combos. Put Zero on Ryuenjin and Vergil can make use of that. Strider teleport assist is godlike. Vergil and Strider are both great anchors. Zero builds meter well but Vergil and Strider are both meter hogs. Unfortunately though, it's one of the lowest health teams in the game, so try not to get hit.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I used Jean Grey for a few matches, and got hatemail from 2 different players who didn't even try to snap her in. Otherwise, nothing.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I finally got around to messing with Zero's lightning cancel / double lightning today. God drat that poo poo is awesome. It's like a full-screen stealth projectile that I get for free, cause I was gonna fire the buster anyway.

Also shuffled my team a little today. I'm pretty set on Zero/Wesker for now, but I'm trying a few thirds. Vergil was OK in the third slot but I wanted a better assist. I tried Doom; the assist is great but I don't think I like playing him on point/anchor. Drones make everything better when you're zipping around with Zero, so for now I'm trying out Sent in that third slot.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 29, 2011

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Wouldn't Wesker be better on anchor since his no-sunglasses powerup makes him X-factor level 4?

Just curious too. Work-related circumstances have stopped me from being unable to play this game till Spring now. How effective is Hienkyaku M - Buster cancel? I know Zero can't really follow it up with anything by himself but with proper assists it might make for some deadly crossups, at least in my head. Has anyone tried it out?

Yeah, Wesker can also go third. I prefer using him with an assist, but Sentinel doesn't help Wesker as much as Doom does. I could maybe do Zero/Sent/Wesker and gain access to Zero->Sent DHC.

I haven't really tried cancelling Hienkyaku into Buster yet, but that could be an option to explore.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Trying to level up my Vergil and come up with a reliable Zero->Vergil DHC. I know about this combo, but it's loving hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQp307jv7Lo

Is there a simpler Vergil followup I could do that's easier to hit but is still a step above just doing Dimension Slash?

And what's an easy starter Spiral Swords combo to use outside of DHC? I'm not very used to that super yet.

Dr. Spiderman posted:

Someday I'll learn to not call assists against a level 3 X-factor Ryu.

Or Ryu with meter period. Or especially Ryu with 2 meters and x-factor on deck. You gotta be careful around that dude.

I'm also gradually learning to be careful with assists against guys with fullscreen supers. Magneto, Wesker, Vergil... those guys can gently caress your assists up.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 29, 2011

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Fieldmedic posted:

Anyone know where I can find videos from last nights WNF?

If you like commentary, best WNF yet.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/301399039

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Micgael posted:

"James Chen, do you actually know the names of all the moves?"

I definitely would rather have him on than UltraDavid though. The matches were so much more enjoyable when the commentators were excited to commentate.

Steve doesn't know most of the move names in Marvel because he's a Tekken player. Despite that, he was able to keep up with the pace of the match onscreen better than Chen could.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Oh are we posting tier lists now? Yes these are ordered within tiers as well.

S tier:
Yipes

A tier:
Chris Hu
Chris Matrix
Justin Wong
Steve from the midwest
Noel Brown
Seth Killian

B tier:
Quotes
Ultradavid
Mike Ross
Spooky
Aris
Marn
Aquasilk
Combofiend
Skisonic
Floe
Gootecks

C tier:
AJ

poo poo tier:
James Chen
Tom Brady

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

PonchAxis posted:

Where does Magus fit in all this

I don't know, who's Magus?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

So far it's been confirmed to work with Nova and Skrull, and it works in versus mode (not just training mode). Hi Im Nastyy is experimenting with it on stream right now. He's trying to activate the glitch a second time and get 4 characters on screen. http://www.twitch.tv/hi_im_nastyy

Flight mode also lasts forever on the assist character.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

It looks like you can do the glitch with just about anyone by chipping them out with an assist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghMIEeTrY4Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

4 characters. Video doesn't show them activating the glitch but there they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVxS_WB9TMw

Killing your whole team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLgp_oDfwOA

• Locked thread