Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Revitalized posted:

So early Galactus mode is the only real mvc3 reward?

That, and Jill/Shuma's DLC costumes are immediately unlocked and free if you have the characters.

Schmendrick posted:

It's like they love to piss off the Mega Man fans (which I fully approve).

I love Firebrand's alt, and it's neat that you can roll with an Arthur in boxers. I wonder how that would work with damage properties and his King's armor when it runs out?

His Armor is the regular armor. His "boxers" is him running around as a loving skeleton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I feel obligated to buzzkill that X-23 was always able to combo solo into Weapon-X Prime after OTG, but it was Sentinel-only (and it's still Sentinel and possibly Nemesis-only in Ultimate).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
"You have cast a spell of boredom on me." - Dr. Strange, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN92N1OpHTg

*does 1.145 million points of damage*

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

flatluigi posted:

For four meters.

Oh, I'm aware. The loop is nice, though.

Is anybody willing to trade me the Amazon costumes for one of the other packs?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I got to play Ultimate for quite a few hours at my fighting games casuals last night. I'm pretty bad so I didn't play anyone besides my preconceived Hawkeye-Haggar-Dr.D team. I really don't get what Hawkeye's gameplan is; I get how to play keepaway with doom but Hawkeye's arrows don't have nearly the same pushback or chip damage on 'em. I also don't really know what to do when my opponent jumps, there was a guy playing firebrand and it was just an awful matchup; the greatest marksman in the world but I can only shoot straight ahead or straight up :what:. Counter-hitting people with the slide was pretty easy, but I didn't know how to make it safe on block.

Hawkeye can shoot his command arrow at a diagonal upward angle from the ground, and he can tiger knee downward-aimed arrows as OTG options. On top of that, his single shot super instantly hits the opponent no matter where they are (except during hard knockdown).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fenn the Fool! posted:

You mean arrows with just H can be shot at an angle or are you talking about the Z-input arrows (because I couldn't reliably AA with those)? The OTG shots don't have to be TK'd, the QCB move gives you a hop and you just hit L or M after that (or maybe H, not sure). OTGing with the poison arrow into Gimlet wasn't as tough as I was expecting, but that didn't stop me from dropping it about 25% of the time.

Just H. Even if you do the multiple command arrow volleys you can shoot each individual arrow at different angles to cover wide portions of the screen.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mio Bison posted:

Maximum Vergil

Anything but that.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mio Bison posted:

If it makes you feel any better we could try calling it "Shut up Broken Loose", unfortunately I think Maximum Vergil is more likely to stick

God forbid "Dimension Slash" or even "orb super" is a hard name to say or remember.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AlphaTM posted:

so that's that confirmed I guess.

This is the important one.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCaT4tMDeBI

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jmcrofts posted:

Phoenix Wright wall of text incoming:
-His lv3 super is hilarious, and way way too good. The damage is insane and you can just fish for it whenever the opponent presses anything. If they're not blocking before the flash, they get hit and lose almost all their health.

Is Maximum Phoenix Wright actually 0 frames? Like, an opponent at neutral cannot block it at all unless he was already blocking?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PalmTreeFun posted:

Welp, looks like Combofiend's hosed. At least until they get a patch out.

Boo hoo, Spencer can't throw out a random grapple when fighting the dog against whom the grapple would normally whiff. He's still got a brand new otg, untouched amazing damage, faster movement in all directions, and Maximum Spencer is still one of the best supers in the game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lord Chumley posted:

I think he's trying to make a joke, but doesn't see why we call the Wesker/Vergil supers "Maximum" in the first place.

Well, given that Maximum Spider has a very specific element that is lacking in the other moves (short of Phantom Dance looking like how Maximum Spider used to look), it's pretty obvious that (A) Vergil's super looks absolutely nothing like Maximum Spider and (B) Maximum Wesker is a dumb name in the first place because the name of the move isn't Maximum Spider-Man. At least be consistent with your nicknames.

But yes, using the wrong move names confuses people in this thread who aren't stream monsters or 4chan/reddit trolls and who do actually refer to things by how they are named ingame. It's not like there isn't already a set standard for these things that are easily available to literally anybody who has the game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Veev posted:

I hope everyone starts calling it Maximum Wesk so we can stay more true to its origins.

I am totally okay with this. (or even Maximum Ouroboros)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HySA0WK0Lo

This looks like the hardest to block character since Magneto.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fellblade posted:

As somebody planning on maining Iron Fist this is great and all, but how is he supposed to deal with people who just hold up back?

Cancel into chi when they jump and try again when they land. Jump cancel f+H and air throw. Call an assist. Cancel into chi and try to cross under them? If he has a reliable crossunder then problem solved.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Jesus Christ, Phoenix Wright's air throw.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Turnabout is somehow more broken than Dark Phoenix.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Yo cinroth or somebody better drop some secret Vergil poo poo soon because if the online is as rear end as it seems him being not good will save me 40 bucks.

Get with the picture. Vergil is one of the best characters in the game. He's like Dante but scrubbier, with longer combos, more damage, better mobility, better mixups, and better resets. Day one Vergil is pretty high up there.

Gamest Mook posted:

I have no idea how people are using the term in MvC3 though.

In Marvel 3, you're protected from air throws during a forced tag-in (snapback/death) until you perform any inputs. So the new Guard Break is to force an incoming opponent to block which allows a follow-up air throw on them.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

iolo_the_bard posted:

Is there a way to play Versus mode against the CPU? Whenever I try to select Versus, it just tells me that Player 2's controller isn't plugged in.

Do Arcade mode, or if you're looking to fight a specific team, put it in Training Mode and set the other guy to "CPU" and turn off life/super regen and the infinite timer.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
It seems like these new missions aren't assinine and impractical enough. Instead of doing multiple 1-frame links in the corner against Viewtiful Joe, I would rather being doing multiple 1-frame links in the corner against Rocket Raccoon. I think that would be a proper teaching mechanism to the concepts of this game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Okay, from a little bit of experimentation it appears the "mashing" mechanic is just a series of just-frame inputs. Every time you do a mashable hit in a hyper combo, the game allows you to input something to make it count as 2 hits. Less Marvel 2, more Melty Blood.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
edit: bad menus

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

InnercityGriot posted:

Yipes and Clockwork are apparently at UC Irvine, and the matches are being streamed:
http://www.twitch.tv/offcast

So, did Yipes move to California?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Dren posted:

edit: gently caress me human rocket punch is always an overhead

WHAT?! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

chumbler posted:

Just to preface this, I am literally the worst mvc player to have ever existed, as was quite thoroughly proven to me in the tournament last night. Like the purpose of my existence is to be bad at mvc. That being said, whoever created mashable supers and anyone who likes them needs to be shot. Who in god's name thought they were a good idea? If they wanted to boost damage for whatever characters' hypers, just loving boost their damage.

Yes I'm salty that the one time I managed to combo into a Trish super I started mashing and accidentally x factored before it fired even one shot. And man it's going to take a while to get used to not being able to block in air dashes and just the pace of the game in general.

VVVV Well obviously, but that doesn't make them not dumb. Seriously they're almost as dumb of an idea as the new life bar placement.

Set one of your unused buttons to L+M+H and activate its turbo.

If you're dead set against that, you can either hold S with one hand while mashing to avoid accidental X-Factor, or you can just rapidly tap between L+M+H and H on the default stick setup.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bosushi! posted:

Anybody have any initial impressions of Ghost Rider? I'd like to use him because he's metal as gently caress and I like his OTG assists, but he seems like kind of a one trick pony on point and I can't see people falling for his bullshit very long. I also seem to have trouble with some of his basic stuff like linking jumping S into standing heavy or timing standing heavy after a wall bounce. Do you guys think he'll be worth polishing or should I move on?

The team I'm hoping to run is Wright/Rider/Dorm. Ofcourse it's gonna be gimmicky with Wright involved. Dorm is there because I want his Dark Hole assist to cover for Wright looking for evidence and he's also metal as gently caress. I'd really like Ghost Rider to have a role in there but I'm having doubts.

I'm currently using Nova/Rider/Wright (Dick and the Nicks). Missile Assist + Nova = Unblockable Village. Missile Assist + Ghost Rider = Unblockable City. Nova Overhead Assist + Ghost Rider = gently caress Mountain.

Nova does incredibly well with assists that cover a lot of horizontal space, mainly because his airdashes go fullscreen. Ghost Rider can turn any fullscreen unblockable into 500k. That's not much, but it's a start.

Also, NecroMonster, thanks. I can't be damned to do a flight cancel combo under pressure for 50k more damage, but I can sure as hell do a basic relaunch for 30k more.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I have absolutely no idea how you can use Wright as an anchor with no evidence.

I'm just using him for the assist lol

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Might as well just use Felica then. Although there's no good team name out of that I suppose.

I actually considered Felicia, Deadpool, or X-23 for the position, but it's really hard to argue with a low hitting projectile over just lows. Missile has better range, Wright appears behind my point (like Doom does during Plasma Beam assist) which leaves him less vulnerable, and if my opponent attempts to trade with me I have a much better chance of coming out on top.

Plus, Wright has more health and better damage output than any of those characters. And I really hate Felicia's voice. And I already fell for the X-23 trap once and never intend to do that again.

Brother Entropy posted:

A Dick, a pussy, and Ghost Rider.

The other name for the team was "Phoenix's Riders"

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The Rokstar posted:

So... in Desk's new combo video PW goes from no evidence, to all evidence, to turnabout mode, to level 3, in the same combo.

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkatC5wnb4w

For the record, this combo builds something in the neighborhood of 2.5 meters.

I stand by my position that Phoenix Wright is going to be bananas when this game gets rolling. It doesn't matter how many gimmicks you put in between the game and the players-- when a character has that much power, love will find a way. Frank is going to be almost as if not equally frightening once he gets figured out, too.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AXE COP posted:

Why are people comparing Wright to Dark Phoenix? They're like, complete opposites (unless you think "has a powerful mode" means they are identical).

Because people are sleeping on the former as a worthless gimmick even though he has access to an alternate mode which can allow him to trash any character in the game without effort. Which is exactly what happened to the latter when FTW came out (health is too low, meter is too necessary, just snap her in, etc).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

NecroMonster posted:

m/2m, h/2h, s, jh, js, 6h, h, s, jm, jm, jh, (236L or M), 623pp or 236pp

We should probably link to ComboIMG in the OP. It's goon-made and provided to solve exactly these problems!

MadRhetoric posted:

Estaka
Congratulations, you are a stream monster. omg desk is dead not sure if serious y u no mad?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Thundercracker posted:

What on earth, is Tron's role in this game now? No super armor, no mix-ups, horrible scaling, and now no good assists.

I can't believe out of everyone in vanilla, she got the most nerfs.

She can cancel Bandit Boulder which makes her combos even longer and more damaging. In exchange for this, she no longer has the scrubbiest assist in the game and you are forced to use more than one move (hint: tonka shovel is also a good air normal but you can't just throw it out like you could her air h in FTW).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BattleHamster posted:

I'm pretty sure this is untrue because the untechable time from rock pickup part of Bandit Boulder decreases with combo length.

It makes a big difference when it comes to things like comboing out of her throw and command throw without needing an assist.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

TaurusOxford posted:

Why the gently caress would you put Phoenix on point? She dies in half a combo.

Phoenix Inferno has 15 frames of invincibility and causes wall bounce. Most people were mashing throw+assist at the beginning of the fight, so you could bait a happy birthday and either just combo right away or X-Factor into raw tag while the opponent is still flying back from the wall bounce.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Rocket is gonna be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW6NMFvrWvU

Also, I love how everybody has their own little personal tidbit of Nova tech.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

NecroMonster posted:

My new nova Bnb.

No red life spent, standing attacks, jH starter this does 774,800 damage, full mash.

The standing M is harder to hit against really big characters but not impossible. Against smaller character you need to delay the jH after your second launcher. This should work anywhere.

Use your red life on this, or putting up gravametric pulse barriers, don't bother using it for the beam super unless you're doing a punish or burning it in a THC or DHC.

I can't seem to do this outside of a corner. Once the first Nova Strike hits the opponent gets knocked too far out of range for j.H to hit. I can't seem to do it any lower to the ground than I currently am. Do you have any advice?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

NecroMonster posted:

Not really. I haven't had it fail yet, it does look like the opponent goes behind me when I do this, but the combo works normally.

What character are you trying this on, maybe I can replicate.

I'm trying it on Vergil. My training team is Vergil/Raccoon/Sentinel so I have one opponent of each size, but I'm starting to worry that our little anime friend is on the runt side. I'd switch him to Wesker but I know how drat popular Vergil is, so the practice is useful.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

NecroMonster posted:

Seems it only works midscreen on smaller characters. I can occasionally get it to work on iron fist, but I've no clue what the hell I'm doing to get it to work. If you can get the enemy to end up BEHIND nova at the end of the nova strike then it'll work, otherwise it looks like nope.

It should work at 4/5ths - 3/4ths of a zoomed screen away from the corner tho.

Against larger characters (tested this on sentinel, prolly necessary on nemesis as well) you should do this instead (jH) M/2M H/2H S jH j214L jL jH H S jH j214L jH j236L or M j623pp mash. Does nearly the same damage, is far easier to get the relaunch. Corner only.

L connects, but the H afterward doesn't. I'm convinced that either you or I am drunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YPL6kB1JVA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

NecroMonster posted:

Yeah, the L rocket punch combos won't work midscreen unless it's a smaller character. You use the H after the rocket punch there. The biggest i've gotten it to work on is iron fist, and even then it's a little iffy. You can tell when it'll work because nova ends up BEHIND the character you rocket punched before you do the jH to catch them. It looks weird as hell, but it works.

The jL then jH followups are for sent and nemesis in the corner, makes getting the relaunch on them a lot easier.

Then I'm back at square 1. What am I doing wrong that H doesn't connect in the first attempt in that video? I've tried doing it later, I've tried doing it earlier (even leaving the turbo on so it hits on the first possible frame). I've seen him go behind like you've described, but so far it seems like it's luck as to whether or not he will.

• Locked thread