Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
My fiance and I are super excited for this movie. I know there was a premiere tonight - has anyone heard any early feedback on whether it's any good? We're really hoping it's not a stinker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Evil Trout posted:

My fiance and I are super excited for this movie. I know there was a premiere tonight - has anyone heard any early feedback on whether it's any good? We're really hoping it's not a stinker.

In short, it's really good.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

The Cameo posted:

In short, it's really good.

That's good to see.
I also like how they have been able to build hype by showing virtually nothing from the games itself in the trailers. After it opens, I expect they start blasting away with clips from the Games to get action fans interested too. That is quite smart marketing I must say, unlike one John Carter.
And the opening is going to be enormous:
http://www.hitfix.com/articles/box-office-the-hunger-games-looks-for-a-mammoth-harry-potter-level-opening

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A non-sequel with no stars ain't getting a $130m opening, let alone $150m...rival studios are just playing the expectations game trying to get hype to the realm of absurdity methinks. I'd be surprised if it opened above $100m, more like $80-$90 in my mind which is still a huge opening.

But if it does shock the world and open to $100m, and the film really is as good as our Twitter criticratti are claiming, you're looking at a money making machine that'll gross $350m+ due to word of mouth (distributor Lionsgate, which was looking a bit financially shaky a short time ago, has seen its stock price double in the last 6 months).

In film news....its clocking in at 2 hours and 22 minutes.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
This film has received cuts to achieve a 12A rating in the UK.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

7 seconds to be precise, mostly substitutions and digital removal of blood.

I think if it makes the film viewable by it's intended audience, I'm gonna go with Mark Kermode and say it's OK. It was a children's book, it would be a drat shame if children couldn't see it. The woman in Black got some minor intensity edits to bring it to 12A too.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

A clip from the movie that wasn't in the book, so we'll get to see things from outside of Kat's PoV. I'm excited, already bought my midnight showing tickets which I've never done for a movie before!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
First reviews are popping up, all of them positive so far: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hunger_games/

Both of the trades are giving it positive reviews, although Variety is a bit more tepid than Hollywood Reporter.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I ended up marathoning the books in about 3 or 4 days last week, I enjoyed them, looking forward to the movie as well so I'm glad to hear it's reviewing well.I reckon the final cuts will have been on Rue's death and the other "advice" cuts will have been Cato's mauling (may have been from the start since it's actually really nasty), Marvel's death, (this is another pre altering candidate, it'll either be a split second or a chest shot). I'm betting Katniss won't get the faceful of blood at the start either. Glimmer's death and the hallucinations will be radically altered, don't think her melting would go down well, I'm guessing Katniss' burns will get less attention too.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I'm getting really excited to see this. I know it's only 15 reviews and it's not out yet but the 100% on Rotten Tomatoes looks really good right now. I'm expecting it to be almost entirely bloodless, but it's really hard to know what the games are gonna look like, since they've really kept it under wraps.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Also echoing the hope that I might enjoy the movie in the absence of the horrid writing that had me abandoning the series after the first book.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just finished the first book and was pleasantly surprised. To me the most striking thing about the book is how well it uses it's setting to demonstrate social pressures

Everything feels like it's life or death when you're a teenager, and games themselves reflect the unstable social alliances of high school. A strong, independent girl starting to get physical with her boyfriend because she feels that it's expected, and recognizing that it's not necessary what she wants is a good thing for young readers to think about. Especially in stark contrast to the "messages" of twilight.

I hope some of these ideas come through in the movie and not just the action-adventure framework of the story.

edit: I don't really understand the harsh criticism of the writing. Sure, it's not elegant to a word, or even a sentence, but it is a well functioning narrative, with a breakneck pace. There are no lulls, every page something new is revealed either about our protagonist or her predicament. More importantly, almost (but not quite) every part of this actually works, it's part of a cohesive story. There are different styles of writing, and this one has plenty of room for improvement, but it is far from horrible.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 19, 2012

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Looks like I could be very wrong about those monstrous box office numbers: http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/hunger-games-presale-tickets-1-million/

Anything higher than $116m would make it the biggest non-sequel debut ever. :monocle:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Arkane posted:

Looks like I could be very wrong about those monstrous box office numbers: http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/hunger-games-presale-tickets-1-million/

Anything higher than $116m would make it the biggest non-sequel debut ever. :monocle:

My theater has half of its midnight showings sold out. Hopefully they'll be some left tomorrow when I go into town. :ohdear:

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If Josh Hutcherson makes all the girls want bland Rainn Wilson looking guys then I'll never say anything bad about the Hunger Games.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Just for fun, I went back and looked at the top 20 BO opening weekends for non-sequels (all numbers are in millions, for obvious reasons).

1. Alice In Wonderland - $116
2. Spider-Man - $114
3. Iron Man - $98
4. The Passion of the Christ - $83
5. I Am Legend - $77.21
6. The Da Vinci Code - $77.07
7. Avatar - $77.02
8. The Simpsons Movie - $74
9. 300 - $70.88
10. Transformers - $70.5
11. The Incredibles - $70.46
12. Finding Nemo - $70.25
13. The Lorax - $70.21
14. Twilight - $69
15. The Day After Tomorrow - $68.7
16. Planet of the Apes (2001) - $68.5
17. Up - $68.1
18. Bruce Almighty - $67
19. Thor - $65.7
20. The Chronicles of Narnia 1 - $65.5

Fun fact that has nothing to do with THG: out of that list, exactly six are original IPs not based off books or existing properties (Avatar, Incredibles, Nemo, Day After Tomorrow, Up, Bruce).

Moral of the story? (Aside from Pixar being loving awesome) The Hunger Games is heading for historical territory if those tracking numbers hold, and even if they don't, it's still a home run for Lionsgate, who have been desperate for a reliable franchise once Saw petered out.

I'm very excited about this.

EDIT: And for even more fun, here's the top 20 list of BO openings that are original IPs, not sequels/remakes/reboots/based off an existing property/whatever. Let's see how much originality sells in Hollywood.

1. Avatar - $77
2. The Incredibles - $70.4
3. Finding Nemo - $70.2
4. The Day After Tomorrow - $68.7
5. Up - $68.1
6. Bruce Almighty - $67
7. 2012 - $65
8. WALL-E - $63
9. Inception - $62.7
10. Monsters, Inc. - $62.5
11. Kung Fu Panda - $60.2
12. Cars - $60.119
13. Signs - $60.112
14. Monsters vs. Aliens - $59.3
15. Pearl Harbor - $59.07
16. Despicable Me - $57.3
17. Valentine's Day - $57.2 :suicide:
18. 8 Mile - $51
19. The Village - $50.7
20. Mr. And Mrs. Smith - $50.3

Moral of this story? Pixar still owns. :smug: Also that Roland Emmerrich can will asses into theaters with his mind.

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 20, 2012

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Benne posted:

Moral of the story? (Aside from Pixar being loving awesome) The Hunger Games is heading for historical territory if those tracking numbers hold, and even if they don't, it's still a home run for Lionsgate, who have been desperate for a reliable franchise once Saw petered out.

Don't they have those Tyler Perry movies also?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Slasherfan posted:

Don't they have those Tyler Perry movies also?

Indeed they do, now that I looked it up. Still, they have to be ecstatic about having a massive crossover hit on their hands that isn't limited to horror buffs or black audiences (unfortunate Hollywood racism!).

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Benne posted:

1. Avatar - $77
2. The Incredibles - $70.4
3. Finding Nemo - $70.2
4. The Day After Tomorrow - $68.7
5. Up - $68.1
6. Bruce Almighty - $67
7. 2012 - $65
8. WALL-E - $63
9. Inception - $62.7
10. Monsters, Inc. - $62.5
11. Kung Fu Panda - $60.2
12. Cars - $60.119
13. Signs - $60.112
14. Monsters vs. Aliens - $59.3
15. Pearl Harbor - $59.07
16. Hannibal - $58
17. Despicable Me - $57.3
18. Valentine's Day - $57.2 :suicide:
19. 8 Mile - $51
20. The Village - $50

Interesting list, thanks for putting it together. Hannibal is a sequel however.

I'm amazed that this movie has unanimously positive reviews so far. I thought for sure they'd screw it up and the trailer had me really worried. It's nice to be pleasantly surprised sometimes.

Gravitom fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 20, 2012

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Gravitom posted:

It's based on a book too!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gravitom posted:

I'm amazed that this movie has unanimously positive reviews so far. I thought for sure they'd screw it up and the trailer had me really worried. It's nice to be pleasantly surprised sometimes.

Damnit. List updated accordingly.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Now looking hard at that list, I'm pretty impressed that 8 Mile got the BO numbers it did. Was it really the star power of Eminem and the momentum of his amazing "Lose Yourself" single? I think I answered my own question, because a movie like that doesn't put asses in theaters, so people just turned out to see Eminem in a semi-biography.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Gravitom posted:

I think the trailer was pretty awesome, it got me interested in the books and turned me into a fan.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Gravitom posted:

Count me in as another person who watched the trailer, got interested in the books and became a fan. The bit where they're picking the tributes and Katniss volunteers herself in Prim's place was just heartbreaking and I went from not giving a crap to watching the rest of the trailer in rapt silence.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Arkane posted:

It is seriously difficult to understate what a built-in audience this movie has. You know how The Passion of the Christ got such obscene box office returns because every church in the country was buy screenings for it? The Hunger Games is like that only with English teachers and school book clubs.

Like, I was at a high school recently and there were flyers everywhere advertising a parties that the students were going to have during lunch the day that Hunger Games hits theaters, there was Mockingjay graffiti everywhere, kids were carrying the books around, I haven't seen a work of fiction with this degree of saturation since Twilight hit its peak in 2009. And even then, that was mostly just girls getting all starry-eyed over Edward and Jacob while the Hunger Games seems to have a much more substantial investment from both genders.

Farbtoner fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 20, 2012

rrenna
Jan 10, 2006

I won tickets to the Toronto premiere last night. The movie was excellent, they did a very good job adapting the source material without alienating non-book readers.

I did have two minor problems with the film :

1) Excessive shaky cam : it's used throughout but is more effective during chaos than during fights (where it obscures what's going on). Keep in mind I was sitting close to the screen, so on a 2nd watch it may not be as bad.

2) Cheesy special effects : most of the computer generated stuff in the movie is quite good, but there are a few places where it *really* stands out. There are two times where Peeta is shown blending into his surroundings, and they go a little over-the-top with it.

rrenna fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 20, 2012

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

rrenna posted:

I won tickets to the Toronto premiere last night. The movie was excellent, they did a very good job adapting the source material without suffering alienating non-book readers.

I did have two minor problems with the film :

1) Excessive shaky cam : it's used throughout but is more effective during chaos than during fights (where it obscures what's going on). Keep in mind I was sitting close to the screen, so on a 2nd watch it may not be as bad.

2) Cheesy special effects : most of the computer generated stuff in the movie is quite good, but there are a few places where it *really* stands out. There are two times where Peeta is shown blending into his surroundings, and they go a little over-the-top with it.

I've heard these same complaints too. I'm guessing their way of keeping the fight scenes intense and somewhat true to book is using the shaky-cam since they can't show much blood and clear death scenes. And I was hoping the shaky-cam fad had already gone away. I guess it was necessary in this case.
The cgi is what I've been cautiously expecting since reading the books, with the poisonous bees and the mutts.

I'll probably watch the film tonight, so I can make my own judgment, but it's good to know that as a whole, it seems to be a good film.

rrenna
Jan 10, 2006

Kush posted:

I've heard these same complaints too. I'm guessing their way of keeping the fight scenes intense and somewhat true to book is using the shaky-cam since they can't show much blood and clear death scenes. And I was hoping the shaky-cam fad had already gone away. I guess it was necessary in this case.
The cgi is what I've been cautiously expecting since reading the books, with the poisonous bees and the mutts.

I'll probably watch the film tonight, so I can make my own judgment, but it's good to know that as a whole, it seems to be a good film.

The movie didn't hold too much back on the gore front, but they definitely use the shaky cam to hide it. There are unmistakable splashes of blood, but it flash so fast that you can't see the exact details. Leaves it more to the imagination, which worked effectively.

There's a fight at the end, where it's so shaky I had no idea what was going on (again could be where I was sitting), they cut to a top-down shot and zoom out a bit and it literally felt like a breath of fresh air. Just to remind the audience who's fighting whom and where they are spatially.

The poisonous bees and the mutts are both done very well. I was dreading the mutts throughout the movie, but they were actually pretty cool looking. Thank god that scene took place at night though.

rrenna fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 20, 2012

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri6wRz_NjiA

I think I might actually see this during a weekday just so I don't have to deal with all the gigglesqueeing teenage girls :stare:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Farbtoner posted:

I think I might actually see this during a weekday just so I don't have to deal with all the gigglesqueeing teenage girls :stare:

Yeah seriously I had no idea how huge this franchise was until I saw my sister going bananas about it on Facebook a few days ago (shes 12). Matinee it is I guess, I was thinking about reading the books are they any good?

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

Farbtoner posted:

Yeah, my friends and I are trying to figure out the most teenager-free time to see this. We have a 21 and over theater that serves booze, but the tickets seem to be sold out for at least a week. :(

9am on a Saturday? Midnight on a Tuesday? It is a mystery.

edit: we found some Saturday tickets to the 21-and-up showing. CAN'T WAIT :supaburn:

Scurvy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 21, 2012

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Just got home from the midnight showing here.

It's pretty awesome.

There was a bit of confusion, because they played the trailer for the movie right before it started, but it was pretty funny, too.

Patrovsky fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 21, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arkane posted:

Update to this, advance tickets have sold out in over 2,000 theaters and those tickets account for 92!% of Fandango's daily sales.

ToiletOtter
Jun 18, 2007

Our Sammy singing a Serious solo Song.
I decided against seeing a midnight showing because I hate people and hate teenaged people even more. It is a bummer, but probably better for a productive workday on Friday.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I've made an effort to avoid reading reviews so I can go in without any impressions.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

ToiletOtter posted:

I decided against seeing a midnight showing because I hate people and hate teenaged people even more. It is a bummer, but probably better for a productive workday on Friday.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I've made an effort to avoid reading reviews so I can go in without any impressions.

I'm glad I can watch it alone (one of the few good things about working in a theater), but they are being really, really secretive and overly cautious with the film. The film just arrived at our theater tonight, and it can't be watched until midnight tomorrow. Also, it came under the alias "What's Up Doc?", even down to the filename on the hard-drive. :D

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I'm going to go to the midnight premiere of this because I make poor decision as to how to spend my time.

Really loving pumped to see this in IMAX though and the crowd reactions should make the midnight premiere worth it even if it's a bunch of teenagers.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Man, looking at the Fandango page, my usual theaters have shows starting every 15-30 minutes all day Friday. Suzan Collins is going to have a great weekend.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I didn't buy tickets, but the midnight premier at my college town's theaters will be INSANE. I'm seeing 21 Jump Street with some friends tomorrow so when we get out we'll experience the sea of girls.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Crow_Robot posted:

I'm going to go to the midnight premiere of this because I make poor decision as to how to spend my time.

Really loving pumped to see this in IMAX though and the crowd reactions should make the midnight premiere worth it even if it's a bunch of teenagers.

Echoing this. Go ahead, point me out in the sea of screaming fangirls! See if I care!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletOtter
Jun 18, 2007

Our Sammy singing a Serious solo Song.
I just...meh. I've done midnight openings before and while the movies were kickass, hearing guys and girls be obnoxious just because we're teens and it's loving adorable, right? will probably make me wish they were all in the arena. That's not cool.

Plus if I go to a matinee I'll save money!

• Locked thread