Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

In El Paso, it is said, the wind whispers but only one name...

...The ManosHD Kid...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Supercar Gautier posted:

"ManosHD guy" is a very professional and not at all condescending way to repeatedly refer to a person.

Ok, that still bugs me a little too, but maybe he doesn't know Ben Solo's online handle or want to use his real name since it hasn't really been revealed anywhere (assuming "Ben Solo" is not his real name... although if it is, that's a pretty awesome name to have). On its own I wouldn't look too deeply into it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Supercar Gautier posted:

"ManosHD guy" is a very professional and not at all condescending way to repeatedly refer to a person.

Seriously, that latest post is even crazier than the first. You are giving him way too much credit Ballz. They have talked on the phone.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 3, 2011

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Ballz posted:

he does seem pretty hung up on compensating the actors and families from the original movie.

Yeah, he certainly points out what a good guy he is a lot.

He sounds like someone who complains that nobody will gently caress him in spite of what a nice guy he is.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Ballz posted:

Ok, that still bugs me a little too, but maybe he doesn't know Ben Solo's online handle or want to use his real name since it hasn't really been revealed anywhere (assuming "Ben Solo" is not his real name... although if it is, that's a pretty awesome name to have). On its own I wouldn't look too deeply into it.
His real name is Ben Solovey, so it's pretty close.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sporadic posted:

Seriously, that latest post is even crazier than the first. You are giving him way too much credit Ballz. They have talked on the phone.

Fair enough, I'd just rather not see unnecessary conflict over this. Sounds like Ben's got things handled, regardless.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
As this is a film restoration project I don't see why the "Manos survivors" even figure into this. To me it sounds like this Rupert guy is trying to use the "Mano survivors" thing as a way to discredit Ben Solo and big up his own alternate special edition project (which, by the way, is far worse than a faithful restoration).

"Not to demonize" followed by a few paragraphs trying to demonize Ben Solo without saying it outright.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

and furthermore offered him opportunities moving forward with my sequel.

Yeah, that's definitely the thing you wanna get behind.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

'Manos survivors' is hilarious, it makes it sound like he thinks being in Manos is a trauma comparable to rape or the holocaust.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Noxville posted:

'Manos survivors' is hilarious, it makes it sound like he thinks being in Manos is a trauma comparable to rape or the holocaust.
Have you not seen it?

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

BooDoug187 posted:

Ben Solo, I support you and all you stand for!

Don't let this Rupert rear end in a top hat try to bully you on giving him anything, he sounds like a total rear end in a top hat who sounds like he is raping the Manos corpse more than Conrad Brooks been raping Ed Wood's legacy!

Whoa, now. Conrad is a friend of mine, and he helped Ed through some real tough times. He doesn't own the rights to any of Ed's movies. To accuse him of "raping" Ed's legacy is terrible and untrue.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

kangal posted:

I really hope this snowballs and brings about a bit of an MST3K reunion. I really, really do. :comeback:

Just for the record, to have an officiall MST3K joint, it's Jim Mallon that'd have to (finally) pull his head out of his rear end, not anyone from CT or Rifftrax. I'm not sure why he's mishandled the MST3K property so badly (my personal guess: he was banking on somehow wringing an enormous amount of money out of the name, but no one is willing to pay it), but I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

Noxville posted:

Having just found out that the actor who played Torgo shot himself in the head before the film premiered, and he names himself 'Torgo Lives!'...maybe

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It'd be nice for the proceeds to go to "Manos survivors", but we don't even know if there will be proceeds yet. It seems like the wrong thing to focus on at the moment. Right now it's just about having enough money to restore the movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Just for the record, to have an officiall MST3K joint, it's Jim Mallon that'd have to (finally) pull his head out of his rear end, not anyone from CT or Rifftrax. I'm not sure why he's mishandled the MST3K property so badly (my personal guess: he was banking on somehow wringing an enormous amount of money out of the name, but no one is willing to pay it), but I don't see that changing anytime soon.

To be honest, I think it would just be super cool to have everyone together, with or without the MST3K name. I don't need the bots, really. I could just deal with a CT + Rifftrax teamup. If ever there were a film, this would be it.

Mind you, I think this restoration is awesome regardless of any future comedy commentary tracks it may produce.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It sounds like you should just ignore Rupert. He is obviously only interested in making a quick buck using the popularity of Manos, and he would screw you over if given half an opportunity.

Oh and I'm personally hoping Rifftrax will just do the riff solo. We already had a Joel riff of it, and I want to see how Mike Nelson and his crew would handle it.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

To be honest, I think it would just be super cool to have everyone together, with or without the MST3K name. I don't need the bots, really. I could just deal with a CT + Rifftrax teamup. If ever there were a film, this would be it.

Mind you, I think this restoration is awesome regardless of any future comedy commentary tracks it may produce.

Joel still owns the Gizmonic name and setting right? A collaboration could be done using that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

IShallRiseAgain posted:

the popularity of Manos

Did you ever think you'd be writing THAT sentence?

AngusOwnsYou
Oct 11, 2007
If I'm a shitty poster, tell Silentman0
The only reason any "Manos Survivor" should be getting any money is if they're earning it themselves or being paid to never act or direct anything.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yes, don't get me wrong. The restoration by itself is essential (I really agree with whoever described it as an essential piece of 1960s outsider art). A new commentary by any professional riffer would be welcome. A commentary by every MST3K host ever would be icing on the cake.

But I'm just saying, abandon all hope of ever seeing the MST3K name on anything new ever again. Which...you know, is about as important as the type of silverware you use to eat your fillet mignon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Flayer posted:

As this is a film restoration project I don't see why the "Manos survivors" even figure into this.

At the time of the filming Hal didn't pay anyone, he promised them all a share of the profits. No one received a thing, perhaps there were no profits at the time. Obviously Hal's promise isn't binding on anyone else. But if profits exist in the future, it isn't crazy for a portion of those profits to be directed back to the people who contributed to the existence of the film.

I can see his point if someone were to make millions off the original film. The amount of profit the film is likely to generate isn't worth it though. Track down everyone in the credits, or their heirs, and send them what would probably work out to less than $20 each. All that effort and potential drama, for what will buy them dinner at Denny's.

They probably wouldn't be happy even if you did, because however you decide to divide up the "Manos survivors" share, they will think you did it unfairly. Obviously giving everyone in the credits the same amount of money when they put in vastly different amounts of effort would be unfair. But it would be impossible at this date to untangle exactly how much of a contribution each person made. Trying to do so would take longer than restoring the film itself, and would still leave at least half the people mad.

Greasyfries
Apr 7, 2003
not a photographer but an incredible simulation
Ben Solo, you might want to try to work out a deal to have the film scanned on an Imagetrends Scanmaster 4000; while it won't help with any of the printed-in dirt visible in the workprint, its advanced automatic IR dust-busting could dramatically lower the cost of restoring the workprint to a like new state, by removing any crud and scratches that the workprint has accumulated. This scanner is currently being used by the rights holders to many of the early Cinerama films to cost-effectively digitally restore them to their full glory. (I ain't in the business so this isn't a commercial)

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Greasyfries posted:

Ben Solo, you might want to try to work out a deal to have the film scanned on an Imagetrends Scanmaster 4000

I've actually been looking at the stats for this one. How would you say it compares to the DFT Scanity?

Sir Lemming posted:

It'd be nice for the proceeds to go to "Manos survivors", but we don't even know if there will be proceeds yet. It seems like the wrong thing to focus on at the moment. Right now it's just about having enough money to restore the movie.

Angela Christine posted:

I can see his point if someone were to make millions off the original film. The amount of profit the film is likely to generate isn't worth it though. Track down everyone in the credits, or their heirs, and send them what would probably work out to less than $20 each. All that effort and potential drama, for what will buy them dinner at Denny's.

If I could I would, but I just won't promise something I can't deliver. The cost of new film preservation elements will almost certainly eat up any profit that is made, and even then I might be looking for supplemental funding. The film is 45 years old now and counting, and the fact that the camera original even still exists is incredible. To give Manos a full restoration, to find it new viewers, and to treat it like a notable film should be treated is how I am paying tribute to the work done by these people.

As someone who mistakenly bought the Night of the Living Dead 30th Anniversary Edition back when it came out I believe the idea of a special edition is, to say the least, a mixed bag. While there's nothing wrong with someone having fun and experimenting with the film to make a whole new product (that's the beauty of Public Domain, after all) I do think adding modern production values to a vintage film and calling it 'official' will always create a great deal of cognitive dissonance. The collision between old and new is something that can either work in an artist's favor, like it does in Craig Baldwin's beautiful film amalgamations, or it can make you an object of ridicule like John Russo when he attempted to make his 'official' but now embarrassing and forgotten revisions to Night.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ben Solo posted:

I've actually been looking at the stats for this one. How would you say it compares to the DFT Scanity?

If I could I would, but I just won't promise something I can't deliver. The cost of new film preservation elements will almost certainly eat up any profit that is made, and even then I might be looking for supplemental funding. The film is 45 years old now and counting, and the fact that the camera original even still exists is incredible. To give Manos a full restoration, to find it new viewers, and to treat it like a notable film should be treated is how I am paying tribute to the work done by these people.

As someone who mistakenly bought the Night of the Living Dead 30th Anniversary Edition back when it came out I believe the idea of a special edition is, to say the least, a mixed bag. While there's nothing wrong with someone having fun and experimenting with the film to make a whole new product (that's the beauty of Public Domain, after all) I do think adding modern production values to a vintage film and calling it 'official' will always create a great deal of cognitive dissonance. The collision between old and new is something that can either work in an artist's favor, like it does in Craig Baldwin's beautiful film amalgamations, or it can make you an object of ridicule like John Russo when he attempted to make his 'official' but now embarrassing and forgotten revisions to Night.
Or Ted Turner trying to colorize films

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This is an amazing project.

Greasyfries
Apr 7, 2003
not a photographer but an incredible simulation

Ben Solo posted:

I couldn't tell you from any sort of end-used standpoint, as I'm not in the business, I'm just a DVD/Blu-ray nerd who follows this sort of thing. Imagetrend's website has some 2k examples at http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/gallery/gallery_scanmaster.asp. I don't know what other restoration/remastering work the Scanmaster has been used on at this time.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

Whoa, now. Conrad is a friend of mine, and he helped Ed through some real tough times. He doesn't own the rights to any of Ed's movies. To accuse him of "raping" Ed's legacy is terrible and untrue.

Two friends of mine worked with him on a film. One as camera man and the other wrote the script. A film that didn't get released due to Conrad loving everyone over, trying to steal credit for the script, tried to steal the other friend's camera (the camera was an expensive one that he bought with his own money way before working with Conrad, Conrad tried to say he owned it now because "it filmed 20% of his movie")

He then pissed off all the actors and the person who was letting him film at a house in town. When the actors and the house owner quit he then tried to pull a pity excuse of "you guys are assholes, my wife is dying and you all need to come back and finish this movie with no pay!"

The whole time working with him, when someone tried to explain how a shot should be done or how something he added to the script didn't work/make sense he called them amateurs, and went on a rant about how he worked with Ed Wood and how no one on set but him knew what they were doing.

Doesn't help that all Conrad Brooks films look like they are shot on camcorders and on the boxes they shout out that he worked with Ed Wood.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

BooDoug187 posted:

Two friends of mine worked with him on a film. One as camera man and the other wrote the script. A film that didn't get released due to Conrad loving everyone over, trying to steal credit for the script, tried to steal the other friend's camera (the camera was an expensive one that he bought with his own money way before working with Conrad, Conrad tried to say he owned it now because "it filmed 20% of his movie")

He then pissed off all the actors and the person who was letting him film at a house in town. When the actors and the house owner quit he then tried to pull a pity excuse of "you guys are assholes, my wife is dying and you all need to come back and finish this movie with no pay!"

The whole time working with him, when someone tried to explain how a shot should be done or how something he added to the script didn't work/make sense he called them amateurs, and went on a rant about how he worked with Ed Wood and how no one on set but him knew what they were doing.

Doesn't help that all Conrad Brooks films look like they are shot on camcorders and on the boxes they shout out that he worked with Ed Wood.

I've worked with Conrad also. It was on a movie that will probably never see the light of day because it was too short for release, even after the cameraman went behind Conrad's back and shot some extra scenes to pad it out without telling him. And yes, I wrote the bulk of the script and Conrad took all the credit. And yes, when I go visit him I invariably end up driving him to Walmart so he can do his grocery shopping. So I suppose what I'm trying to say is that one's tolerance for Conrad is directly proportional to one's tolerance for crazy old men in general. (The "trying to steal the camera" story is the only part that doesn't ring true; I wonder if that was a joke that was misunderstood.) But I still like the guy, and I love listening to his stories about old Hollywood (even if most of them are probably bullshit), and even if he's played up his importance in Wood's films in recent years (No, Conrad, you did not "star" in Plan 9) he hasn't done anything to harm Wood's legacy or impede the public's access to it. Quite the opposite, in fact. If you wanted to be uncharitable, you could at worst accuse him of exploiting Wood's legacy; I just really objected to your word choice.

Sorry for the derail. This thread is about Manos and how awesome Ben Solo is for discovering the workprint and bringing it back to life.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BooDoug187 posted:

Is that really a bragging right? It's like saying "motherfucker I did backup vocals for Ke$ha"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think it's weird that so many people in this thread apparently know Conrad Brooks personally.

edit:oh wait its only the two of you, I thought it was three. Still odd though.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
This project took me somewhere very cool yesterday... though I can't share the details just yet.

I'm budgeting the fundraiser out right now and at the same time negotiating rates for resources to be used in the restoration. I want to make sure that every dollar donated goes as far as possible while also delivering as many incentives to the donor as I can. Some great people have come forward to help me out so far, and there's also something special I'd like to get that's worth a little extra wait time... though not too much.

Also am working with someone to bring into play the same scanner that the Criterion Collection uses at a reasonable price. If this works out, it'll be an exciting time for anyone that loves both film restoration and absurdity.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ben Solo posted:

This project took me somewhere very cool yesterday... though I can't share the details just yet.

I'm budgeting the fundraiser out right now and at the same time negotiating rates for resources to be used in the restoration. I want to make sure that every dollar donated goes as far as possible while also delivering as many incentives to the donor as I can. Some great people have come forward to help me out so far, and there's also something special I'd like to get that's worth a little extra wait time... though not too much.

Also am working with someone to bring into play the same scanner that the Criterion Collection uses at a reasonable price. If this works out, it'll be an exciting time for anyone that loves both film restoration and absurdity.

Oh man, this movie is in such good hands with you :allears:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

If you haven't already, you should keep a daily journal from here on out. Could be good material for a book down the road, like Brownlow's Napoleon.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh man, this movie is in such good hands with you :allears:

Indeed. It's like it was meant to be. Almost as if the film has been placed into his hands by... destiny fate.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

penismightier posted:

If you haven't already, you should keep a daily journal from here on out. Could be good material for a book down the road, like Brownlow's Napoleon.

I second this. Especially since I know so little about film restoration, but I'm really fascinated by the process, so it'd be great to see the nitty-gritty details about how it's going to happen with a film as infamous as this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Midnight Raider posted:

I second this. Especially since I know so little about film restoration, but I'm really fascinated by the process, so it'd be great to see the nitty-gritty details about how it's going to happen with a film as infamous as this.

It may seem a little silly because, well, it's Manos, but the restoration of this film could make the sort of great little indie documentary that has been gaining popularity over the past few years. I would highly encourage Ben Solo to not only record some key moments of restoration for posterity, but follow the process of how one gets a quirky little film like this restored.

Ben: it may be way beyond the scope of what you're looking to do, but even if you can't get the moments/meetings with some of these people that you're meeting and talking with on camera, I'd highly encourage you to see if they'd let you do a quick interview with them afterward. Just seeing the enthusiasm of the people following this thread should prove that there's a market for such a documentary.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I would watch a documentary and read a book about this in a heartbeat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

penismightier posted:

At this point I'm genuinely more interesting in restoration story than the movie itself. It should definitely be a documentary of the whole thing attached to the final release.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

At this point I'm genuinely more interesting in restoration story than the movie itself. It should definitely be a documentary of the whole thing attached to the final release.

I've been following this thread since the beginning, but I mostly lurk everywhere. I wholeheartedly applaud you, BenSolo, and can't wait to see how this turns out.

But holy poo poo, this please. I'll buy the Manos Blu-Ray just to support a fellow goon, but I would kill a hobo to see a documentary about the process of restoring this and everyone involved that you've contacted or reached out to or have contacted/reached out to you. It's such an amazing journey for such an obscure film that literally would have died a tragic cinema death if it weren't for some weird rear end cable show making fun of it in the most memorable way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

chesh posted:

I've been following this thread since the beginning, but I mostly lurk everywhere. I wholeheartedly applaud you, BenSolo, and can't wait to see how this turns out.

But holy poo poo, this please. I'll buy the Manos Blu-Ray just to support a fellow goon, but I would kill a hobo to see a documentary about the process of restoring this and everyone involved that you've contacted or reached out to or have contacted/reached out to you. It's such an amazing journey for such an obscure film that literally would have died a tragic cinema death if it weren't for some weird rear end cable show making fun of it in the most memorable way possible.

And I would help you dispose of said hobo. I'm a sucker for those "how stuff works" documentaries and this would be no exception. Bring on the deluxe Blu-Ray.

• Locked thread