Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Heroes Never Die

Have there been any updates from Synapse lately? I'm really excited to get my hands on the bluray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Last I heard, they hadn't even started on it yet, soooo... keep on waiting.

Although given that the movie itself has already been fully restored and remastered, I would suspect it wouldn't take them long to put everything together when they do get on it.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
An interesting development: Rifftrax beat us to the punch in showing off some of the Manos outtakes! Going by their Facebook page, it seems that they were able to reach an agreement of sorts with the ominously-named "Harold P. Warren Trust". On the disc release of their Rifftrax Live Show, the (silent) outtakes are accompanied by reminiscences from Mike, Bill, and Kevin on their history with the film, making it a very worthy extra indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxbd8KYD578

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm a big stupid moron, where do I contact you about changing my address?

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm a big stupid moron, where do I contact you about changing my address?

No worries, you just have to log into Kickstarter and use their clunky messaging system.

Also, for those not on Kickstarter, here's a double dose of interview clips to help make up for lost time:

https://vimeo.com/95195373

https://vimeo.com/95176052

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Diane's still gorgeous. Those eyes. :swoon:

Thanks for the sneak peeks and also for everything in the backer update. I'm hoping Synapse will say something official some time in the next couple of months about those DVDs and blu-rays.

btw Ben are you any closer to raising the money for a new preservation negative?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Came across this on an old HDD today. Pretty sure it's from an old GBS thread from 2009 or '10. It'd be awesome if Criterion wanted to do it for real.

edit: Yep, 2010. Never imagined there could be a Criterion-worthy transfer, ha.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 12, 2014

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Will this come out or what

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Will this come out or what

Quoting a month later with the same question.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Goon projects.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

At this point the delay is with Synapse.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, as frustrating as it is to not know anything after so long, it's hard to blame Ben for the delay itself once there's a distributor involved.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Synapse is notorious for long, looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong delays tied into their obsessive quality control. Like, we're talking years.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

caligulamprey posted:

Synapse is notorious for long, looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong delays tied into their obsessive quality control. Like, we're talking years.

Don is a perfectionist, but he is working on projects that are unlikely to get treated properly otherwise, so I understand. I also find that he pays attention to his target market who tend to be savvy about how the films turn out so that only makes it worse because he knows that if he skips a few frames or doesn't color correct a few seconds properly, he's gonna get called out on it, sometimes in an rear end in a top hat-ish fashion.

For those unfamiliar: Don is the Synapse guy and he is a hero to the cult film community.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

InfiniteZero's post has been hidden since the forum downtime yesterday, so I'm just making it visible.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

InfiniteZero posted:

Don is a perfectionist, but he is working on projects that are unlikely to get treated properly otherwise, so I understand. I also find that he pays attention to his target market who tend to be savvy about how the films turn out so that only makes it worse because he knows that if he skips a few frames or doesn't color correct a few seconds properly, he's gonna get called out on it, sometimes in an rear end in a top hat-ish fashion.
Hasn't Ben pretty much done all the heavy lifting in this department, though?

At this point I'd be happy just with some kind of announcement from Synapse. Doesn't even have to be "coming soon", just "coming eventually" :smith:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Masonic Youth posted:

At this point I'd be happy just with some kind of announcement from Synapse. Doesn't even have to be "coming soon", just "coming eventually" :smith:
Street Trash got delayed, like, three-plus years before it ever hit stores. When Synapse was locked in, I kicked back, put my feet up and decided to forget about it entirely so I'd be pleasantly surprised when it actually gets released.

Not to talk poo poo about Synapse, though. As soon as it gets into your hands, it'll be solid gold and worth the wait, guaranteed.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Heroes Never Die

Considering I went into this project expecting to get a burned Blu-ray with MANOS scrawled on with a Sharpy, I'm more than happy to wait an extra year or two... Or three... for a real high quality retail disc full of documentaries and special features.

With all the extra money Ben got I'm super happy he put all of it into making a better final product rather than pocketing the extra like any other Kickstarter project runner would have done.

The fact people are complaining about the wait when Ben has been open and honest the entire time is disappointing. What is he supposed to do, post every single week saying we're still waiting on Synapse?

Personally I hate project runners who feel the need to post every few days regardless of having more information or not.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I guess I'm one of the privileged few who have already seen the final work, but I'm happy to wait.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I'm told I'm one of the privileged many who hasn't seen Manos and that my life is better for it. Perhaps I'll look back and wish I waited longer.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I *am* starting to wonder which will come first, my next change of address or the Manos blu-ray; but as long as it happens eventually I'm not complaining.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I'm told I'm one of the privileged many who hasn't seen Manos and that my life is better for it. Perhaps I'll look back and wish I waited longer.

Seeing the MST3K version is like a lovely movie right of passage. Like a circumcision.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I mean, most of us already got the T-shirt too. And its a pretty sweet shirt!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Frozen-Solid posted:

The fact people are complaining about the wait when Ben has been open and honest the entire time is disappointing. What is he supposed to do, post every single week saying we're still waiting on Synapse?

Personally I hate project runners who feel the need to post every few days regardless of having more information or not.

When he says he'll give monthly updates on kickstarter and then proceeds to be silent for the following three months, it does start to get disconcerting. After seeing this it makes me wonder if he and/or Synapse are having to once again deal with legal threats. :tinfoil:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ballz posted:

When he says he'll give monthly updates on kickstarter and then proceeds to be silent for the following three months, it does start to get disconcerting. After seeing this it makes me wonder if he and/or Synapse are having to once again deal with legal threats. :tinfoil:

I looked at that guy's Facebook page and it looks like complete bullshit.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mister Kingdom posted:

I looked at that guy's Facebook page and it looks like complete bullshit.

A couple of things to consider:

1) Ben specifically cited that page (along with Rupert the Manos 2 guy) as being behind the legal threats he and Synapse had to deal with early on.

2) The Manos outtakes that Rifftrax released a couple of months ago credit the footage from the "Harold P. Warren Trust," which presumably is this guy.

So if this guy did get his legal poo poo together, it's very possible he's giving Ben and/or Synapse further hassle.

All this is just speculation of course, given neither Ben nor Synapse have said a damned thing in months about the discs. :smugjones:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Ballz posted:

1) Ben specifically cited that page (along with Rupert the Manos 2 guy) as being behind the legal threats he and Synapse had to deal with early on.

2) The Manos outtakes that Rifftrax released a couple of months ago credit the footage from the "Harold P. Warren Trust," which presumably is this guy.

So if this guy did get his legal poo poo together, it's very possible he's giving Ben and/or Synapse further hassle.

All this is just speculation of course, given neither Ben nor Synapse have said a damned thing in months about the discs. :smugjones:

Also, if there is indeed *more* legal poo poo going on, Ben and Synapse can't say a damned thing until it's over. It sucks but that's how legal poo poo goes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ballz posted:

Yeah, I dug a little deeper and found out that's Warren's son, Joe. It's just that he comes across as a bully on the FB page. Hopefully, it'll be cleared up soon.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

HKR posted:

Also, if there is indeed *more* legal poo poo going on, Ben and Synapse can't say a damned thing until it's over. It sucks but that's how legal poo poo goes.

Yep, exactly what I'm thinking, although I kind of hope we get a "blink once for yes this is what happened/blink twice for no" sort of message somewhere.

Edit: I should point out however, the Puppet Manos project and the woman who played Debbie's Manos-related Etsy products are doing just fine, and they both were the recipients of legal harassment early on, as well.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 19, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ballz posted:

Yep, exactly what I'm thinking, although I kind of hope we get a "blink once for yes this is what happened/blink twice for no" sort of message somewhere.

Edit: I should point out however, the Puppet Manos project and the woman who played Debbie's Manos-related Etsy products are doing just fine, and they both were the recipients of legal harassment early on, as well.

I contacted "Debbie" and she said this guy likes to threaten to sue anybody trying to make money off Manos but never follows through. He's trying to make a copyright claim, but can't prove anything.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Well, Ben has pm's...

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Heroes Never Die

Ballz posted:

I figure when he posted that he fully intended to give monthly updates, and maybe he truly expected that he'd have something to update with each month, but if there really is nothing to update I'd rather no update than "Monthly update: Nothing new to report!"

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Frozen-Solid posted:

I figure when he posted that he fully intended to give monthly updates, and maybe he truly expected that he'd have something to update with each month, but if there really is nothing to update I'd rather no update than "Monthly update: Nothing new to report!"

Why I Saved Manos: the Hands of Fate: the thread of wait

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Manos: Twiddling Thumbs of the Hands of Fate

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Ben should probably close the thread until he can share an update.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

http://manoshandsoffate.bandcamp.com/track/forgetting-you-complete

Just showed up in my Facebook feed, actually. A newly-unearthed, complete version of the end credits song (with a saxophone solo).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah, that's part of the full soundtrack that Ben released a while ago.

The soundtrack was released under Creative Commons which is why this happened, although I still have some trouble wrapping my head around it.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

It actually is a longer version of the song- I found it hiding in plain sight on one of our old tape masters that we'd initially assumed to be a dupe. Strangely, the end credits run as normal but the song continues over a black screen. How it ended up that way is anyone's guess, but an error at the lab in assembling the track negative is probable. The missing section of the music now accompanies our restoration credits.

Not much insight I can really share except more of the same materials, but Synapse themselves will have some official news on when it's coming out very soon. Would have been sooner, but they needed their documentary, and circumstances forced Daniel Griffith to miss his deadline by a substantial amount. Compared to the amount of time that goes into a typical retail disc, it doesn't make me feel any better to say that we're actually doing pretty well.

Can't share much about the current situation with the Warren Estate, other than that every other member of the family has been pretty nice. The Public Domain status of the film is unquestionable, though that doesn't mean I can't work with Hal's descendants. What I'd really like to do is put together some merchandise that they can actually earn something from, much like we did with the Neymans: when we've gotten this disc out, I'll attempt to work with them on publishing an annotated Manos screenplay, as well as the script / treatment of Hal Warren's ill fated follow-up, Wild Desert Bikers.

Personally, I think it'd be worth the trouble just to find out what Bikers is really about. One person I talked to referred to "Satan's Bike" having been designed for the production, while Warren's nephew told me that the screenplay involved a biker gang running afoul of aliens. Could it be possible that both stories are true?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ben Solo posted:

when we've gotten this disc out, I'll attempt to work with them on publishing an annotated Manos screenplay, as well as the script / treatment of Hal Warren's ill fated follow-up, Wild Desert Bikers.

Personally, I think it'd be worth the trouble just to find out what Bikers is really about. One person I talked to referred to "Satan's Bike" having been designed for the production, while Warren's nephew told me that the screenplay involved a biker gang running afoul of aliens. Could it be possible that both stories are true?

This all sounds really awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ben Solo posted:

This sounds dope as gently caress. I'm picturing it as proto-From Dusk Till Dawn, where bikers run into aliens and the aliens are chasing them but WAIT GUYS I HAVE SATAN BIKE

• Locked thread