Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He is a thought to stick with you after your watching.....considering how cheap Hal Warren was would he ever bother getting blanks or was just shoot live ammunition into the desert and near a camera he setup on a tripod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Who is doing the commentary for this? Amazon doesn't specify.

Surfingelectrode posted:

I actually kind of enjoyed it when we watched it last weekend? It's obviously a horrible movie, but it's just so strange and really like nothing else.
Yeah, it's got this weird dreamlike/nightmare quality to it. It's a movie I find endlessly fascinating.

Yaws fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 26, 2015

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Yaws posted:

Who is doing the commentary for this? Amazon doesn't specify.
Tom Neyman, who played "The Master", and his real-life daughter Jackie Neyman-Jones, who played "Debbie".

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Masonic Youth posted:

Tom Neyman, who played "The Master", and his real-life daughter Jackie Neyman-Jones, who played "Debbie".

Really? I recall an Entertainment Weekly article about Manos and he declined to comment on it. From what I recall he wanted to forget about it.

I wish I would've contributed to the KS now :argh:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

There was a time when he very well might have, but apparently this restoration helped reconnect with his daughter, whom he was estranged from.

Manos helped bring people together. :unsmith:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I had to go home from work and then to the doctor today. When I came back home and checked the mail, there was a squarish white padded mailer in the box. So thanks, Ben, for all your hard work and making my sick day just a little bit sicker. :unsmith:

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ballz posted:

There was a time when he very well might have, but apparently this restoration helped reconnect with his daughter, whom he was estranged from.

Manos helped bring people together. :unsmith:

Manos doesn't have friends... he has family.

Meaty Ore posted:

I had to go home from work and then to the doctor today. When I came back home and checked the mail, there was a squarish white padded mailer in the box. So thanks, Ben, for all your hard work and making my sick day just a little bit sicker. :unsmith:

I do not endorse the combination of Manos and prescription drugs.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
Received my copy today and watched the restoration bonus feature. Very informative I just wish it was longer.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
Got my copy today. It was a long time coming, but I know it will be worth it because of all the work you put into it. Thanks again Ben!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ben Solo posted:

Manos doesn't have friends... he has family.

I do not endorse the combination of Manos and prescription drugs.

Weed is a perception drug here in San Francisco and I do endorse it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm glad I used my parents' address on this since I've lived at four addresses since I first signed up for the kickstarter, haha.

Looking forward to seeing the remaster when it's forwarded up to here in a few days!

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

I'm still waiting for mine, but I presume it's delayed because I asked Ben to autograph it for me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Dear Ben,

Thanks for leaving a flaming pack of poo poo on my doorstep today.

Love,

~WindyMan

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

I'm still waiting for mine, but I presume it's delayed because I asked Ben to autograph it for me.
Ditto on mine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://manosreturns.com

Hey, what's this about a sequel?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

pwn posted:

*dumps two decades' worth of Tonight Show kinescopes in the East River*

That actually happened, you know. Want to go back and see the time Bill Cosby came out after literally having just sexually assaulted one of the night's guests and pretended he was her? Get your SCUBA gear.

I would like to know more about the Tonight Show tapes being dumped

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Steve Yun posted:

They weren't dumped, they were wiped and recorded over.

It was the DuMont Television Network archive owned by ABC that was dumped into the river, and the Tonight Show on NBC wasn't part of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_DuMont_Television_Network_broadcasts

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And then there was the case of The Paul Winchell Show, which Winchell did on videotape in the 60s so he would have a permanent record of his career...until Metromedia ran the master tapes through a bulk eraser during a legal dispute over the show. He got a monetary settlement instead of a legacy.

Or for something a little bit less dramatic, the Colonel Bleep cartoon series suddenly disappeared from syndication because the production company was moving and somebody stole the moving truck with the film negatives (and everything else) in it. The only reason we have any episodes at all is because one station found their 16mm copies.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Steve Yun posted:

Scudworth posted:

They weren't dumped, they were wiped and recorded over.

It was the DuMont Television Network archive owned by ABC that was dumped into the river, and the Tonight Show on NBC wasn't part of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_DuMont_Television_Network_broadcasts
I don't know how or when I transposed that onto the NBC lore, but most kinescopes of NYC-era Tonight (1954-1972) are missing, whether dumped into the river or set on fire or whatever.

But check this out: The American Armed Forces network, which received colour film prints of many of those Carson-era broadcasts, had better archiving ethos than NBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOOHiww6q4

I couldn't be happier to be proven wrong. Now it's just up to Carson's estate to not be total fuckups in getting this material released in some format (spoiler alert: they will be total fuckups.)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Didn't get the mail on Friday, but after checking this thread I went out, and lo and behold there was a Blu-Ray disc waiting for me.

Now I just need a Blu-Ray player. :toot:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

pwn posted:

I couldn't be happier to be proven wrong. Now it's just up to Carson's estate to not be total fuckups in getting this material released in some format (spoiler alert: they will be total fuckups.)

I want to see Cosby coming out smiling and laughing because I want even more reason to hate Cosby. This is a weird feeling.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
Got my copy today, thanks for all your hard work Ben. It was interesting watching it side by side to the MST3K episode.

"Your puppy's compost kid!"

Bluecobra fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 6, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got mine, as an Executive Producer, I have truly obtained Jewish manhood now.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Got my copy and gotta say it feels a little surreal to finally see this journey come to an end. Really glad to have played a tiny part in saving this film.

gfanikf posted:

Got mine, as an Executive Producer, I have truly obtained Jewish manhood now.

That means you were one of the mega donors, right? If you don't mind my asking, what made you willing to drop a boatload of money into this project? Did you have some personal connection to the film?

Just genuinely curious and if your answer is "I am Mitt Romney and that to me was the equivalent of ordering a pizza," then I understand that, too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I dropped a shitload of money on this in part so I could have my name attached to Manos forevermore. On a more philosophical note, all these weird no-budget Z movies have a story behind them, and I wish more had the sort of documentation we have about Manos. I would trade every last copy of, say, Maid in Manhattan, to get the full story behind Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny or the Coleman Francis trilogy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ballz posted:

That means you were one of the mega donors, right? If you don't mind my asking, what made you willing to drop a boatload of money into this project? Did you have some personal connection to the film?

Just genuinely curious and if your answer is "I am Mitt Romney and that to me was the equivalent of ordering a pizza," then I understand that, too.
I'm actually the Attorney on the project. You'll also see my name at the end of the documentary....and Playboy :smuggo:. This meant I got to deal with crazy people.

My friend who did audio restoration work and was an EP, is more the guy you'd want to ask that question too....and I'd be happy to ask him for you.

Edit: All Pro I think captures some of it.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

or the Coleman Francis trilogy.

Would love to hear the stories surrounding his funding streams (although I think it had something to do with the primary actor providing the funding or something?). whereas most folks do a crappy movie and are never to be heard of... he someone managed to receive funding for three!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

A Coleman Francis Blu Ray box set is my dream.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A Coleman Francis set would have to be bundled with a coffee cup

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

A Coleman Francis set would have to be bundled with a coffee cup

And a parking permit.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Mine came in last night at my parents so I finally got it this morning. Wearing the T-Shirt I got years ago with it to celebrate.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
Mine came in yesterday. Thanks to my new work scheduel I wont be able to watch it till maybe Friday.

Still waiting for the soundtrack to come in. Got an email saying the shipping label was made but nothing else happening on that one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Still waiting for mine.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
DVD Beaver has reviewed the disc if anyone is on the fence

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_69/manos_hand_of_fate_blu-ray.htm

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I dropped a shitload of money on this in part so I could have my name attached to Manos forevermore. On a more philosophical note, all these weird no-budget Z movies have a story behind them, and I wish more had the sort of documentation we have about Manos. I would trade every last copy of, say, Maid in Manhattan, to get the full story behind Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny or the Coleman Francis trilogy.

I always wanted to learn more about The Undertaker and his Pals and if T.L.P Swicegood was actually Hershell Gordon Lewis.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

2DCAT posted:

Would love to hear the stories surrounding his funding streams (although I think it had something to do with the primary actor providing the funding or something?). whereas most folks do a crappy movie and are never to be heard of... he someone managed to receive funding for three!

Tony Cardoza is the actor/producer on the Francis films.

http://www.bmonster.com/scifi37.html

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Criminal Minded posted:

I've never even seen the movie and never really intended to, but you've got my attention. I will sure as poo poo buy this when you put it out. Fantastic thread.

What he said.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
Got mine today! Thanks for the ride, Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Still keeping an eye out for mine. Cannot wait to finally see this movie in all its...glory? :D

• Locked thread