Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Well you can't really get much better than Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax unless you were extremely invested in Mike or Joel's stories. I gotta know what happens to the bots.

I just want the two teams to come together and work some kind of crazy comedy team-up. Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic Presents: Manos- The Hands Of Fate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just thought of something. If there is some kind of MST3K thing done with this, with either Rifftrax or Cinematic Titanic (or god willing, both), I hope that Ben lets them redistribute the video under a video-on-demand like Rifftrax does. Something like profites would go 33% Rifftrax crew, 33% CT crew, 34% Ben Solo. Just so long that's what Ben wants.

It just seems to be the easiest way. Because people that know of this movie are slim. People who know of RT or CT after MST3k gets smaller. People who would know about the re-release of Manos would be even smaller. So if either of them did mock the movie again, if they didn't know where to get it, I don't know if it would take off if they couldn't redistribute it.

EDIT: Hell, not even bluray quality. Let them redistribute the DVD quality with the tracks in the audio track, and then if people wanted the full glory of Manos they can go to Ben for the bluray.

EDIT 2: Twitter urls get mangeled here, so I fixed it for you. vv
http://twitter.com/#!/ebertchicago/status/142037923213230080

IUG fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 31, 2011

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Doesn't the creative commons licencing say that you can use it for personal use without a problem, but if you try to sell it then you need to contact Ben to work something out?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't blame Rifftrax for what they're doing, and I'm buying tickets to their show regardless because they're the funniest things I've seen in theaters. However, I wish they could have picked some other film for August, and then do another show when Ben's restoration was done. They've done two live shows less than 3 months apart before, so I can't imagine they couldn't have waited a bit longer.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

adamj1982 posted:

You would think Kevin Murphy of all people would understand the appeal of cult films.

Yeah, that's pretty much the opposite reaction I figured any of them would have. Manos may be trash on it's own, but it's still something you can't go back and remake once all the copies of it are gone. Look at Metropolis.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I haven't funded this Kickstarter, but I have for something else. And yeah, it helps to do the updates on the site that you put money in. For example, I helped fund the next Carmageddon game, but I don't want to go to SCI's site, Facebook, etc to get an update. They do occasionally send an update which sends an email to show how far along in the game they are. It takes zero effort, and at worst it's a copy/paste of the information from another source. But it's them being proactive for the people that funded it, rather than making the hundreds of people make the effort, it's one person who manages that Kickstarter account.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That's annoying that this is the reason why it was delayed. I was hoping that part of it was working our a deal with the Rifftrax guys to include their live show as a bonus feature. (It's the only live show that Rifftrax hasn't released for some odd reason, but I guess maybe they were being harassed legally too).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

HKR posted:

Rifftrax likes to keep the live shows held back for a while because they want people to pay to go see them in the theater, not wait for the home release.

Well the show that aired live after Manos (Birdemic) has been available for download for months now. Manos was like 2 months before. My hope was that it would be a secret special feature on this release (and still hope for it), since there were talks that this release would be used for the show. But obviously the restoration too longer than they were going to wait, so they used another version of the film.

At least, I believe the Rifftrax guys were in talk to use Ben's restoration.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ben Solo posted:

Rifftrax had been in talks with us to use the restoration, yes. However, due to their lengthy process of writing and preparation they would have needed a picture-locked version delivered in the spring of 2012, when labor on the restoration had barely begun. Instead, I offered Rifftrax my 1966 theatrical print scan as a source, which they accepted.

The theatrical print that was ultimately used was scanned alongside the work print, but was only needed in the restoration itself as a source for sound, certain driving shots (yes, I had to add driving shots back into the work print) and an all-important reference for editing purposes.

I requested anonymity as the film source before the show because I didn't want audience members to think they were going to see the restoration there. For that reason, and to give Rifftrax more freedom to perform as they saw fit, I didn't ask for a plug during the show. People are still confused about it, so I probably needn't have bothered, but awareness of the film being raised was enough for me. I was given reserved seats at the taping in Nashville and had a third row center view of the proceedings.

That's pretty awesome of you. Even if Manos isn't my favorite movie in the world, I'm glad someone like you is taking the time to restore this film right, and doing the right thing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ballz posted:

...the most obvious being that in actuality Ben supplied Rifftrax with the film print for the live show.

Did he? I thought they had to go with another print because Ben's was just not ready for the time they wanted to do the show. I remember because I was disappointed at the live show because I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the restoration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

InfiniteZero's post has been hidden since the forum downtime yesterday, so I'm just making it visible.

• Locked thread