Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I was just going to post about this. :O

I would def. take some luscious prints of those 2k scans, and/or an art book. Lobby cards?? The pin looks great.

I discovered this thread/project last week and it blew my mind. Very glad you've opened this up to a new audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Speleothing posted:

Honestly, I'd be more interested in The Master as a poster than a T shirt.
Seconded, adding "prints, prints, prints" to the proceedings.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Joe Neal Warren posted:

I don't want to be the bad guru
Really? Because it sounds like you do.

Joe Neal Warren posted:

By using these characters without permission will cause irreparable harm to my dad's copyright.
Also causing irreparable harm to his dad's copyright: Failing to copyright.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I thought the issue with Manos was failing to include a copyright notice in the film, thus it entered public domain the moment it was first screened in public.

pwn fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 18, 2012

pwn
May 27, 2004

How about Eau Claire? This place is packed with hipsters and others who'd fill Micon Cinemas for a night of Manos. The guy who owns those theatres does special shows all the time.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I put in $150 for the God Help The Girl Kickstarter in January 2012, and just got told that the DVD is coming Summer/Fall 2014, from the initial window of early 2013. A quality product takes time, sorry you're not instantly gratified.

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 2, 2013

pwn
May 27, 2004

Came across this on an old HDD today. Pretty sure it's from an old GBS thread from 2009 or '10. It'd be awesome if Criterion wanted to do it for real.

edit: Yep, 2010. Never imagined there could be a Criterion-worthy transfer, ha.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 12, 2014

pwn
May 27, 2004

Can't you just put it on there in SD since it's not archival quality?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

The guys behind the Kickstarter for the Mother 1 OST on vinyl
NERD

where can I find that please

pwn
May 27, 2004

So which did you end up going with? Rounded corners, right. Please say rounded corners

pwn
May 27, 2004

pwn posted:

So which did you end up going with? Rounded corners, right. Please say rounded corners

pwn
May 27, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Also they usually weren't "destroyed"
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/rah.htm

quote:

Further, it gives the impression that all of these nitrate films simply decomposed while attempts were being made to preserve them. This is untrue. Most of the early films did not survive because of wholesale junking by the studios. There was no thought of ever saving these films. They simply needed vault space and the materials were expensive to house.

pwn
May 27, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

the future can get what it gets.
*dumps two decades' worth of Tonight Show kinescopes in the East River*

That actually happened, you know. Want to go back and see the time Bill Cosby came out after literally having just sexually assaulted one of the night's guests and pretended he was her? Get your SCUBA gear.

pwn
May 27, 2004

EasyEW posted:

We also need to be clear that "saving" in the sense of keeping material and "saving" in the sense of active acts of preservation are two different things.

I've been following a guy that's been running a Gofundme campaign to get decent digital transfers of a famous kid's show from the 1950s while it's still feasible. Two problems with getting all the way to the end (besides the obvious funding hurdle): the archive is nearly 700 episodes deep, and many of the films have gone all brittle and warped. Obviously it costs much more to correct for that even just doing an unrestored transfer.

These films fall firmly in the "not lost, just unavailable" category and have been in the same institutional hands for decades, so this case it's a different situation than what Dr. Who fans dealt with, where just finding the sources has been the biggest hurdle. But it's obvious this collection needed a little more hands-on care over the years to not be a nailbiter now that somebody's been moved to action.
Which show?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Big Bidness posted:

Seriously, you clearly have some real issues. I hope your dog didn't get crushed by a collapsed tower of VHS copies of Frankenhooker at your crazy uncles. Those clamshell cases were heavy.
Frankenhooker had a cardboard box, not a clamshell (Source: My copy of Frankenhooker)

WANNA DATE?!

pwn
May 27, 2004

You can answer that which Ben will not:

pwn posted:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Surfingelectrode posted:

They're squared.
Thank you! (And boooooooooo, Ben.)

pwn
May 27, 2004

My desire to see the corners was simply my desire to see them, since this isn't a pro shot film and all. I think the comparison to colour correcting etc is overblown, but not worth arguing about. I'm still gonna get this release. Someday. I haven't had money for a new DVD/blu ray in months and that probably won't change for a while.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Truly we have arrived. :q:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I would like to know more about the Tonight Show tapes being dumped

Scudworth posted:

They weren't dumped, they were wiped and recorded over.

It was the DuMont Television Network archive owned by ABC that was dumped into the river, and the Tonight Show on NBC wasn't part of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_DuMont_Television_Network_broadcasts
I don't know how or when I transposed that onto the NBC lore, but most kinescopes of NYC-era Tonight (1954-1972) are missing, whether dumped into the river or set on fire or whatever.

But check this out: The American Armed Forces network, which received colour film prints of many of those Carson-era broadcasts, had better archiving ethos than NBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOOHiww6q4

I couldn't be happier to be proven wrong. Now it's just up to Carson's estate to not be total fuckups in getting this material released in some format (spoiler alert: they will be total fuckups.)

pwn
May 27, 2004

It comes with a DVD copy, you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

The DVD Beaver review said it came with a DVD. Funky.

• Locked thread