Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I've never had the chance to watch Manos (it's on THE LIST), but I'm fascinated by all of this. For so many of us, we assume that everything exists in some vault in excellent condition until we're told otherwise. I was in my late twenties before I even had a clue that we had lost so much of film and television history (an article about classic Johnny Carson episodes being thrown out opened my eyes and almost emptied my stomach) but until now I had no idea that these restorations could be done by someone who just happened to stumble across the film somewhere.

I think of these things in the same terms I do the documentaries I've watched about restorations of classic architecture and artwork, which is always very structured and academic. The idea of someone buying a print and then tackling the restoration work (or even a part of it) themselves without it being a gigantic mess is mind-blowing to me.

This thread is incredible. You are incredible. I have no advice to give since I'm just a guy who watches a lot of movies, but I am really eager to see how the progress goes on this. I would think you could find people that would help with this, even if it's just a Kickstarter campaign (which I would find some way to throw at least a few dollars at myself).

Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I would watch a documentary and read a book about this in a heartbeat.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The facebook link doesn't seem to lead to the right place, but I'm already trying (in my tiny little way) to spread the word about this. Heck, after the holidays I might even chip in a few bucks, making this my first kickstarter project that I would be participating in.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Faithful restoration for no profit?

Obvious cash-in.

Plans for an unwanted sequel and outright lies about getting money to surviving cast members?

A crusader for all that is good and right with the world!

gently caress people.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I'm considering the $50 I just chipped in a birthday present for myself. Glad to be a part of this.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Is it bizarre that I donated $50 having never seen the movie and am waiting for my blu-ray before I do? Because I did. And I think I am.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I've been reading about it for years, so it was already something I wanted to see. Just like I didn't hunt down Metropolis again before buying my blu-ray (though I'd seen it before, just not the whole thing obviously), I feel like I should wait for the complete experience.

Then I'll probably MST3K the hell out of it.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

My hat and pin are waiting at my parents' house (I was afraid I was about to lose mine). Now my only worry is that I gave my size before I lost 30+ pounds.

--edit:

Yep! Got my shirt (and pin). It would have fit me fantastically in February when I ordered it but now I'm swimming in it. Ah well. Not the worst problem to have.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 8, 2012

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I thought the movie was in the public domain, though. I don't think that anyone has any rights to any of it (characters or otherwise). I'm no creative rights lawyer or anything, but the only thing they may be able to do is make a kerfuffle about the use of someone's likeness. I don't think that applies since it isn't damaging or insulting in any way and all of the products are based on stills from the film, making them arguably public figures. It's one thing if you want to make a t-shirt with a picture of Bruce Willis with the word "RAPIST" over his head, but that's not exactly what's going on.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 17, 2012

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Didn't Romero deliberately leave the copyright notice off the movie?

It definitely was not intentional.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I've lost around 70 pounds since I signed up for the kickstarter, so my shirt is gigantic. I got rid of most of my fat man clothes, but I use it as my pajama shirt because I can't bear to let it go.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Congrats on losing all that weight, I'm working on the same thing. :unsmith::hf::unsmith:

Good luck! Prepare for another couple years of feeling like you're wearing a giant, ill-fitting skin suit.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Ben Solo posted:

This coming month, our DCP is going to screen at both the Back Alley Film Series in Charlotte, North Carolina, and The Music Box in Chicago on the 19th and 25th, respectively.

Of course you're doing a screening 10 days after I move from Chicago to Oregon. I think you already did one near Portland, but are there any plans to head back that way again?

I also need to remember to update my Kickstarter with my new address so I can get my eventual Blu-Ray sent to the right place.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

This dude seems pretty pissed off at you.

What an insanely terrible echo chamber.

I have always assumed that the longer it took, the better the features and such will be (since Ben talked extensively about them previous updates, though not as much in the more recent ones), but then again I was mostly giving my $50 so this thing could exist, not so I could get something tangible out of it.

Which is what I thought Kickstarter was for ...

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Rounded all the way here, too. This is about preserving the work as it was made, not turning it into something marketable.

Others can always release another version down the road if it doesn't look "right" to them. Once it's cropped, it can't be un-cropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I have still never seen this movie. I became aware of it just as this thread started and I decided to wait until my disk arrived.

Since then I've lost 100 pounds (my backer shirt is huge and I now wear it as pajamas), finalized my divorce, moved across the country, started a webcomic ... it's been a long road and I can't wait to subject my friends to this movie.

• Locked thread