Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
You are amazing.

Have you tried contacting any distributors? You would be surprised at what is getting released on Blu-Ray. Something Weird releasing Basket Case and The Blood Trilogy through Image Entertainment. Cult Epics releasing Radley Metzger and Tinto Brass movies. Synapse Films releasing all sorts of weird niche poo poo.

There has to be some company interested in footing the bill to restore it and give it a good transfer for general release.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ben Solo posted:

I'm flattered that people feel this movie is Criterion worthy or even Synapse worthy and have tipped me off to lots of topnotch people to contact. The big question mark for me, and something I will be consulting more experienced people to answer, is whether the restoration of the workprint will be sufficient to earn a copyright as a work in its own right. The fact that the film is public domain is a turnoff for many legitimate distributors, who don't feel the investment into a restoration would have a sufficient return when anyone is able to duplicate and distribute the result. That's why I'm looking into releasing it myself.

This wouldn't be the first time a company has released a public domain movie on home video. I'm pretty sure somebody can't take a commercial release of a PD movie and resell/share it. They can make their own transfer from their own print to share/sell or share/sell a preexisting free copy but they can't take your transfer.

There are two versions of Night Of The Living Dead on Blu-Ray in the UK and they are both sourced from different prints. Can't imagine it would be legal for me to rip one and distribute it.

Seriously, start contacting (phone or email) some small distribution companies that do Blu-Ray and tell them you have the original 16mm workprint. Somebody may bite.

Or you can go the internet route. Create a buzz (like you did here but much bigger - post on reddit, contact every movie news site/blog you can think of, get your own Twitter account, etc), raise the money yourself on Kickstarter for the transfer and do a small run of Blu-Rays/DVDs (look to the Nine Inch Nails fans who released This One Is On Us for inspiration)

Either way, this is definitely doable. You just have to be willing to do the legwork.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 24, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
With Mike Nelson's appearance and Ben Solo's silence since, I hope that means some serious talks with Legend Films have started.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Supercar Gautier posted:

"ManosHD guy" is a very professional and not at all condescending way to repeatedly refer to a person.

Seriously, that latest post is even crazier than the first. You are giving him way too much credit Ballz. They have talked on the phone.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 3, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I should really be saving my money but that clip makes me want to drop $50 on this so bad.

Amazing looking even without cleanup or color correction.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Xenomrph posted:

You know it'd almost be a cool comparison if the blu-ray has 2 versions of the film, the restored one and one of the "original" lovely versions, just to hammer home how drastic the restoration is.

I don't know how hard it would be to take advantage of the alternative angle button for Blu-Ray but it would be wild to be able to swap between the current version and an upscaled to 1080p version of the current public domain release on the fly.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 20, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Desperado Bones posted:

I would love to help with Spanish subtitles, only if other Spanish talking goons want to lean a hand, and if Dissapointed Owl says yes. I guess what we would do is translate what other goons transcribe.
(I would love to help with the transcribing, but I'll leave that to people who are native speakers of English. I don't want to make any embarrassing mistakes)

Strange enough, there are already Spanish subtitles at Archive.org

http://www.archive.org/details/ManosTheHandsofFate

RagingBoner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdBchFDwWY0

Here is the video source, btw.

Would the workprint be slightly longer in certain sections? How easy is it to fix the sync of the subs?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The fact that they are cleaning up a print from a private collector themselves in-house makes me think that Ben and Rifftrax/Legend Films couldn't come to terms (or that this was already in progress for awhile at Legend Films and they didn't need Ben's print)

That sucks.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

You are amazing.

Have you tried contacting any distributors? You would be surprised at what is getting released on Blu-Ray. Something Weird releasing Basket Case and The Blood Trilogy through Image Entertainment. Cult Epics releasing Radley Metzger and Tinto Brass movies. Synapse Films releasing all sorts of weird niche poo poo.

What a happy ending :)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ben Solo posted:

So I was thinking about buying Jackey Neyman Jones (Debbie) an account here. Good idea, or bad idea?

Good idea, as long as she doesn't stray from CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Absolutely gotta be rounded, no two ways about it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You guys are all crazy.

Seriously. Rounded fits the movie so well.

• Locked thread