Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Holy poo poo, this is pretty excellent. poo poo, I'd buy a copy on principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

9 years from now:

That's the only discovery I can think of to top this one.
I have a copy of ET for Atari 2600. Bought it from a local secondhand store several years ago for $0.25. :shobon:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Yes, but you didn't dig it up out of a shallow mob grave in the Mojave desert, so I'm not all that shocked.
Well sure, but it was still pretty hilarious to find one at (secondhand) retail.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Donated $50! This project is awesome, I'm glad to see so many people contributed to it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PriorMarcus posted:

Speaking as a professional designer I can say that 99% of those, including all the Manos ones, are awful. The one on this page isn't much better either.
Speaking as someone who isn't a professional designer, could you explain why?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying I'm uninformed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

One of the main reasons I don't have 'Predator' on blu-ray. That, and the blu-ray doesn't have any added special features that the latest DVD version doesn't have.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ShadyNasty posted:

I don't have a Bluray player and I will still buy the poo poo out of this. You are a hero and I love you.
Blu-ray players have been really dropping in price lately, you could probably find one for fairly cheap.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You know it'd almost be a cool comparison if the blu-ray has 2 versions of the film, the restored one and one of the "original" lovely versions, just to hammer home how drastic the restoration is.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What about a comparison featurette?
Sure, that'd work too, I was just thinking if there was extra space left over on the bluray disc that having a public-domain crap version on the disc as well would be pretty slick.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Geekboy posted:

Is it bizarre that I donated $50 having never seen the movie and am waiting for my blu-ray before I do? Because I did. And I think I am.
I did the same thing. I donated $50 and I've never seen the movie. This is just a really remarkable project, Ben Solo is awesome for doing it, and I'm more than happy to chip in to see it get completed. :hfive:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ditto, I got my shirt in the mail yesterday too! Thanks! :cheers:

Edit-- should the pin have come with the shirt, or is it mailed separate? Because all I got was the shirt. :saddowns:

Still cool though, gonna wear the shirt (in public!) today. :downs:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 7, 2012

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Kingdom posted:

I say good.

Do you have a release date for the Blu-ray yet?
Seconding this question. Also I still wear my Manos kickstarter shirt all the time. :smug:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Geekboy posted:

I've lost around 70 pounds since I signed up for the kickstarter, so my shirt is gigantic. I got rid of most of my fat man clothes, but I use it as my pajama shirt because I can't bear to let it go.
Congrats on losing all that weight, I'm working on the same thing. :unsmith::hf::unsmith:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ben Solo posted:

Synapse has finally revealed the stunning cover art by Joel Robinson (no relation).

That's fantastic. We're getting closer!! :toot:

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I don't suppose it's possible to have some sort of marker on the packaging identifying a kickstartered DVD/Blu copy as such?
I like this idea. Hell, I'd even go for having Ben Solo sign my blu ray insert.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ben Solo posted:

Yep, the 13th of October is our official street date. At this moment, the Amazon Blu-ray preorder costs even less than the DVD preorder, and of course you'll be getting the unrestored "grindhouse" print on the Blu-ray as an exclusive bonus.

On a related note, one of the few $1000 backers still hasn't upgraded to Blu-ray last I checked. I offered to get him a player myself, but he's happy with his SD TV. These brave holdouts still do exist.

Off topic, here's a little teaser for what's next. Given that we have some very good Original Camera Negatives to work with, it will be a faster and less costly restoration... a perfect excuse to make the jump to working (and delivering?!) in 4K.

What's the ETA for Kickstarter backers to get their copies? Also I sent you a message on Kickstarter a while back about updating my address, and I'm not sure if you responded. The "old" address will still work so it's not a huge deal, but having it shipped to my house would be preferable. :)

Edit-- nevermind, I checked my Kickstarter messages and it looks like you have my updated address. Thanks!

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 30, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Also Ben Solo, this thread on film restoration might be of interest.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ben Solo posted:

Here's a woman who, by anyone's criteria, was a compulsive hoarder. She recorded 40,000 tapes' worth of TV news in her lifetime, containing uncut coverage of every major event (plus commercials) for 35 years. Eventually (because tapes can only be digitized in real time) it'll all be on the Internet Archive, free for anyone to search through. Because this is a good thing, you'll notice that this article doesn't use the word "hoarder" once.

It's an indisputable truth that yesterday's hoarder can be tomorrow's hero, since there isn't often an archival plan for specific forms of media until a portion is already lost. Of course, there's never any monetary gain to be had (unless you stumble across a lost Doctor Who episode), and the person's life very often ends in a shambles, with shame and isolation as a bonus. If there actually was a decent amount of profit to be made from hoarding, you can bet our culture would condone most forms of mental illness related to the act.

Maybe when the impermanence and cost of digital records are greatly lessened, online archives will bring people like Marion Stokes together in life instead of death. Participating in the creation of a gigantic and accessible online repository for things we aren't even thinking about yet, hopefully at least some will find a support structure and a healthy outlet for their obsessions.
Did you see my question a little bit earlier in the thread on when backer discs are expected to ship?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ben Solo posted:

After the disc manufacturer sends them to me and before they reach store shelves. When I have something more specific, I'll send out an update.
That's awesome, thanks!

Also would you be willing/interested in autographing the back of the bluray case insert? No seriously, I think it'd be pretty cool to have the signature of the guy who coordinated all of this on the movie case.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

I'm still waiting for mine, but I presume it's delayed because I asked Ben to autograph it for me.
Ditto on mine.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ben Solo posted:

If you still haven't seen it by Friday (and you're not in a foreign land), write me via Kickstarter so that I can track you.

Also, a note to anyone planning to fundraise online: giving someone a refund won't get them out of your hair. Ever.
I'm incredibly tempted to engage him on that forum.

I really probably shouldn't; "don't touch the poop", etc.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ditto, I sent in a message this morning.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Got my copy in the mail today, thanks Ben! :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vermain posted:

Since when did white supremacists practice Buddhism? What is it with these lunkheads and their ever-deeper turns into nonsensical syncretism?
If you're going the Aryan/Nazi route, look no further than the 1939 Nazi expedition to Tibet.

• Locked thread